Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15
enthusiast
enthusiast
I think mods are nice and all, but Larian first and foremost need to concentrate on delivering base game. Then after all said and done and mods are officially supported, maybe they can consider integrating some that make the most sense and do not turn the game upside down. It's all nice and dandy, but I imagine playing as a goblin would have quite a few context issues there without reworking a lot of content ingame.

Last edited by Gaidax; 21/10/20 03:39 AM.
old hand
old hand
The rebalance mod is interesting to see if going more core is better than what the default is now.

#710344 21/10/20 12:51 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
So the modders are already working on BG3.

DnD Rebalancing

I am a bit torn, if you start playing with mods, would that effect the data Larian is seeing?

Mods will effect play so can color feedback so do you need to post what mods you are using when you give feedback?

Also I do not want Larian to become another Bethesda where the attitude is just let Modders fix our games. I want Larian to use the 5e rules and would rather let modders break those.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Merry Mayhem

DnD Rebalancing

I am a bit torn, if you start playing with mods, would that effect the data Larian is seeing?

Mods will effect play so can color feedback so do you need to post what mods you are using when you give feedback?

Also I do not want Larian to become another Bethesda where the attitude is just let Modders fix our games. I want Larian to use the 5e rules and would rather let modders break those.

I hope it does not go the way of Bethesda either. I'm very interested to try using this mod (I don't use mod much in games). I played Solasta who stuck to DnD 5e rule combat and it's fun!

Originally Posted by Merry Mayhem

DnD Rebalancing

You should probably turn off the feedback option (launcher options) and not send crash reports if you're running non-cosmetic mods.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by vometia
There have been a number of discussions and comments about modding BG3 recently. I have asked for Larian's official line on this and have received the following reply; thanks to Jess for the clarification. I guess it won't hurt to reply here but what follows (the bolded bit is the Discord announcement) is the current position.

"Modding is not currently supported by Larian and it will not be for the duration of Early Access. We know you are going to do it anyway, but please mod at your own risk. With the nature of Early Access many things are subject to sudden change and if you encounter issues creating or applying mods, our support team will not be able to assist you."

So, if people are looking for a spot to talk about modding BG3, they are welcome to head to the Discord and chat in the channel there. And then once we get to full release we can discuss creating a modding section for BG3 on the forums.

Thank you for the feedback, i wanted to start a discussion, although i got misunderstood, i still feel like it was worth the talk! thanks to Larian and Vometia for the work in the early access and in moderating the forums! Is good to have a stance from the studio itself!

Thanks again !

addict
addict
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpVf1DJC4S8

Spoilers for datamine based on what this mod reveals about gnomes;

### Differences:

#### Forest Gnomes
The PHB gives Forest Gnomes two additional talents: _Natural Illusionists_ and _Speak with
Small Beasts_. _Natural Illusionists_ is implemented as expected, however, _Speak with Small
Beasts_ has been added as a proficiency in the Animal Handling skill. This talent is intended
to give Gnomes the ability to communicate **simple ideas**, so Animal Handling seemed like the
best fit.

#### Rock Gnomes
Rock Gnomes have two additional talents: _Artificer's Lore_ and _Tinker_. I'll be frank: I
have no idea how to handle _Tinker_, and opted not to add it until I figure out what would
make sense. As for _Artificer's Lore_, I've given it a blanket History proficiency, which
isn't ideal, but the alternative would likely involve created a passive that then gives a
bonus to History in specific scenarios.

_Artificer's Lore_ huh? are we getting Artificers after all or is this a scrapped idea?

Edited because the link to the Youtube embed did not work.

Last edited by Vhaldez; 22/10/20 04:44 PM.
R
apprentice
apprentice
R
OMG sos la creadora D;!! no podes hacer un video como instalarlo me marea mucho la de nexus ;C es que lo coloco creo como dice readme pero nunca lo acepta :c donde va exactamente ?

R
apprentice
apprentice
R
Pero que joya Alana vi los comentarios como instalarlos el primer mod BG3 te quedo impecable !!! que gran trabajo sería difícil incorporar alf elf 5 en tiefling D; me encanto !!!

T
stranger
stranger
T
Originally Posted by eikona
Originally Posted by Razdemi
since these are just files used from in the game already, I imagine that they work in co-op as well?

My husband and I tested it. You can use it on your game and it looks fine, but the other person/people in co-op see you as having default appearance.

My bf and I have this mod, it works just fine in Co-Op. We've tested it with him, unknowingly, installing it wrong. He could see my mod appearance. We can also confirm it for sure works/is properly visible if everyone in the co-op game has the mod. So if you want to run it in co-op, just make sure everyone has it installed correctly.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I'm using both the gnome mod and the goblin mod.

I have made myself a custom party of 4 short arses. Gnome/Halfling/Dwarf/Goblin

Love and sausages xx
N
N
Originally Posted by robertthebard
The community doesn't have to answer to WotC/Hasbro about what content goes into their mods, until or unless WotC/Hasbro sends them a cease and desist notice. The community doesn't have milestones to meet for content that is supposed to be in the core game either, meaning content that has been approved by WotC/Hasbro.
+1 i think this is a good point to be made. i hope im wrong, but from a business perspective i have a sneaking suspicion that wotc may have some concerns or issues with mods being implemented depending on their content (ie. cosmetic mods v mods that add races or class options that arent in the base game) than the community may realize. i could understand wotc preference to limit how much 5e content that could be modded into the base game outside what larian/wotc officially releases, but with that said i do hope that modders are given some love since they do produce alot of great content for the community.

veteran
veteran
Unless someone is profiting from mods, which at least right now is definitely not the case, I don't see how this hurts Larian or WOTC. The opposite is true. People actually making changes to the game that Larian can't or won't do, and thus improving it for people who wish it. It's a win win situation

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Abits
Unless someone is profiting from mods, which at least right now is definitely not the case, I don't see how this hurts Larian or WOTC. The opposite is true. People actually making changes to the game that Larian can't or won't do, and thus improving it for people who wish it. It's a win win situation

The modders may not profit, but if WOTC were to lose profits as a result of free content elswhere, they would have every right to issue a cease and desist.

Love and sausages xx
S
S
Originally Posted by 0Muttley0
The modders may not profit, but if WOTC were to lose profits as a result of free content elswhere, they would have every right to issue a cease and desist.

Not really. In the US, the Supreme Court affirmed the First Sale Doctrine applies to software. You don't own the right to that software. As in, you can't resell it as BG3 and steal profits from Larian and Wizards. But, you do own your own individual copy. What you do to your own copy of the game is none of their business. (Almost) zero. (Obvious caveats, such as not doing illegal stuff such as using it to hack their servers, etc.) Further you have every right to form relationships with others. This means it's your right to share the modifications you made to your game with other like-minded people. AFAIK, that's the latest state of things with regards to rights and software. There's been no big case to push ownership rights of individual copies back towards companies.

P
stranger
stranger
P
I can confirm also when everyone has the mod installed all players see it, myself and two friends have this installed and could see the faces/hair we chose for our characters in this mod.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by SacredWitness

Not really. In the US, the Supreme Court affirmed the First Sale Doctrine applies to software. You don't own the right to that software. As in, you can't resell it as BG3 and steal profits from Larian and Wizards. But, you do own your own individual copy. What you do to your own copy of the game is none of their business. (Almost) zero. (Obvious caveats, such as not doing illegal stuff such as using it to hack their servers, etc.) Further you have every right to form relationships with others. This means it's your right to share the modifications you made to your game with other like-minded people. AFAIK, that's the latest state of things with regards to rights and software. There's been no big case to push ownership rights of individual copies back towards companies.
And thank God for that.

Necromancy is just recycling...
T
stranger
stranger
T
@AlanaSP

Do you know if Raphael's head and his/the cambion horns are compatible with tieflings and where those would to be found?
I've been looking through the files but couldn't find anything so far..

veteran
veteran

But I doubt you can ask for money for mods..

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
N
N

thanks for the insight - as someone who isnt familiar with the legal details of video game sales and post sale modding, its much appreciated and largely allays the fears i initially had. admittingly, my concerns were primarily stemming from wotc's history of issues with contracted third-parties taking liberties with the IP or outside companies creating content too closely related to the IPs (mtg v hex), so heres to hoping there are no such concerns here related to software rights.

Last edited by nation; 25/10/20 02:45 PM. Reason: sp
Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard