Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Few issues and suggestions I have so far after my first two play throughs. These are in no particular order.

1) Although enviromental effects such as barrels and stuff are fun, it feels over done. As a DM of over 25 years these elements have always been a part of even the pen and paper game, however, they were never the main focus of almost every single fight. A DM might put one certain thing in there where it would make sense, but not just randomly stack flamables all over the place to light everything on fire. There is also no consequence for doing so. In a pen and paper game if one chose this option the entire forest might catch a blaze for instance and effect a whole lot more than just your little fight thus balancing the idea of using the "burn everything down" option. My solution to this would be to minimalize the use of this style of tactic to key fights as an option.

2) Jump should provoke attacks of opprotunity from foes that threaten you if you are jumping out of their threat range, as per the rules.

3) Disengage should be separate from jump and a full action unless you are a rogue with the proper ability to make it a bonus action.

4) Higher ground should not give advantage to the person on higher ground AND disadvantage to the person on lower ground. This is a double buff for having the high ground. I would remove the advantage and disadvantage entirely and possibly replace it with a simple +1 to attack rolls from higher ground. This is a simple and much more balanced homebrew way of achieving a bonus for high ground. It makes it nice, but not a main part of the combat rules.

5) Tone down the cantrips to their proper form from the books. Fire bolt is the big one. It should not leave a fire spot on the ground. It's a mote of fire that does 1d10 damage if it hits. Thats it. No damage if it misses.

6) Add in the dodge action and use the rules from the book for it.

7) Remove the roll indicator for passive checks. This just promotes a meta view of the game. Add in active searching instead of relying on just passive checks.

8) Make the shove action a FULL action as per the rules and it only knocks them prone or 5 feet away from you. You should have the option to either shove them 5ft or knock them prone.

9) The UI is not very user friendly and frankly a bit cluttered especially around the minimap.

10) Make it easier to chain and unchain party members.

11) Allow you to manipulate everyones inventory in the camp instead of just those in party at the time.

12) Waypoints should not be a thing. There are portals in FR, but they are ancient and very far spread. Most don't even work any more. Adding waypoints sort of ruins the emersion of being in the FR (Forgotten Realms) especially when there are 10 in just one small area.

13) Day/Night cycle. The world doesn't feel alive with it always being day time. The hours should pass by and day should transition into night as you explore. Also this would make it possible for a Drow to travel at night as they would most definitly want to do. This brings me to the next point.....

14) Unlimited resting at camp. If a day/night cycle is added you can then restrict camp resting to happening only once a day, this would allow for the short rest feature of the game to feel more useful. I have yet to even use it in my play throughs because why do that when I can go to camp at any time from any where.

15) Now, with restricting resting more the encounters would have to be rebalanced. As they are now, most encounters and fights are not winnable unless you have full hit points and all your spells available.

This is all I have for now. In conclsion does this game feel like DnD? Not yet, it has a good start, but needs alot more work.

veteran
veteran
Hi,

This is a good feedback. I'm totally with you on anything.

About jump (2)... yes but no... You shouldn't be able to jump at all if you're engaged. Especially if point (3).

Advantage/disadvantage (4) actually really really suck for many reasons. I never thought about that, probably because I'm not a GM but the +1 should be a good solution to keep higher ground good, but not cheated.

About the fast travel (12), I really hope they'll use their beautifull worldmap instead of those ridiculous and immersion breaking TP points.
The worldmap is ready... I hope it won't be as useless as in DoS.

D/N cycle would be a great improvement but I'm not sure they'll consider it. The resting system totally suck and the "ressource management" is really really bad for many reasons...(especially balance, from cantrip surface effect to creatures AC/HP changes, advantages/disavantages...) But they'll have to fix all that before thinking about a good resting system.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 24/10/20 06:51 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
stranger
stranger
Agree with almost all of this, from an immersion / balance perspective rather than D&D one.

1) Often there's a reason for the barrel placements that may not be obvious on the first playthrough. What if they toned down environmental effects - reduce down to one turn damaging effects, three turns debuff effects. For spent fire could have that become embers which function as candles and cause difficult terrain.

2) The game should also not permit jumping when in difficult terrain, currently you can jump out of ice / grease with relative ease (and the AI does not make use of this)

8) Perhaps a separate "shove" and "knock down" bonus action / action (shoving in the current implementation is really fun)

12) Disagree with this one actually - removing fast travel and waypoints would negatively impact gameplay experience. If the justification is to make it a 5e simulator then that's not a good justification

14/15) On my second playthrough I managed to do Act1 only resting three times. There were some weird side effects: like dialog lines happening that made no sense without the Illithid wet dream, and references to camp actions that hadn't happened yet. In any case, it's definitely do-able if you ration spells and scavenge food. Think the concept of campfire provisions could be experimented with - items that either need to bought at a cost from traders, or gathered as main quest rewards

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice

12) Disagree with this one actually - removing fast travel and waypoints would negatively impact gameplay experience. If the justification is to make it a 5e simulator then that's not a good justification

I state this because even on this size of a map you can get anywhere on it in just 2-3 minutes. Having 10 warp spots is not needed at all on this sizel of a map. I could see it if it was a giant sandbox style like oblivion or skyrim, but it is not needed here. I am all for being able to fast travel from map to map like in the original BG games, and it looks like they have the bones for that already. However, warping around such a small area is not needed.

Last edited by Dreygor6091; 24/10/20 08:43 AM.
D
D
It's a hard sell not to have fast travel in a modern open world kind of game. Maybe you're patient and don't have a problem walking around, but they have to fight for gamers' attention and keep them engaged. Simply removing the fast travel would be a terrible play. However, they could remove the portals but keep the mechanic so you can assume the party just walks there off screen if the portals are a problem. But they're already used for introducing Gale and they do act as a reason why you can fast travel to these particular points but nowhere else.

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Here its the issue, this world has been around sine 1967 and in DnD since it's inception there is lore for this world for a reason. If you want a warp portal every 20 yards in your game DON"T put it in an already established world. Would be like someone taking Lord of the rings and putting in a F-16 fighter jet just because. They make 0 sense at all in this world. The maps are small enough as is to get around without it.

Link Copied to Clipboard