Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
In terms of further playing? I have enjoyed the game but the level cap prevents me from further exploring because of the level limitations because levelling up is built into the notion of RPGs. I understand that level 5 is a big deal in terms of jumps in power level, etc but I wonder if I am the only one who feels somewhat demotivated to continue playing with the hard level cap and still a lot to explore?

apprentice
apprentice
If you're looking to remove the level cap, there is a mod for that which allows you to test the (VERY BASIC) systems currently in place! Take a look on the nexus for it.

addict
addict
I find the lack of classes, races etc. more demotivating than the level cap tbh. Hopefully they will update EA soon.

veteran
veteran
I almost hate to admit it, because the "mature" attitude here should be "Levelling up is not the end goal, let's experience the content", but... Yeah.
I DID notice that the moment the game told me I wasn't gaining any more exp I started feeling a lot less drive to explore, do stuff and achieve things in the current build.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Mister Monster
If you're looking to remove the level cap, there is a mod for that which allows you to test the (VERY BASIC) systems currently in place! Take a look on the nexus for it.

An, many thanks.

old hand
old hand
Not really. This is early access, would rather test the other classes. Is kind of fun trying to do things at lower levels, a lot of stuff would be too easy if they raised the cap.

veteran
veteran
I feel like people are sometimes concerned too much about things that are exclusive to EA. We know for sure the full game will have more levels, and that the current situation stems from Larian not being able to properly set up the next levels yet. So I think patience is the best solution here

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Abits
I feel like people are sometimes concerned too much about things that are exclusive to EA.

I have to admit I find this quite weird coming from you.
You took the time to write two/thee essay threads about how "Larian writing didn't take player actions in consideration" and 90% of your complaints on the topic could be easily dismissed with "Yeah, there are scripting bugs and a lot of stuff missing".

Conversely, this thread is not "a concern about the final game", just a harmless side note about how hitting a level cap so soon can feel a bit demotivating.

Originally Posted by Zarna
Not really. This is early access, would rather test the other classes.

Eh, sort of. At first I thought I cared more about other classes too.
But then you realize that as long as the level cap stays this low, you hardly even reach the point where classes actually start feeling significantly different to play.

Last edited by Tuco; 24/10/20 11:46 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tuco
I feel like people are sometimes concerned too much about things that are exclusive to EA.

I have to admit I find this quite weird coming from you.
You took the time to write two/thee essay threads about how "Larian writing didn't take player actions in consideration" and 90% of your complaints on the topic could be easily dismissed with "Yeah, there are scripting bugs and a lot of stuff missing".

Conversely, this thread is not "a concern about the final game", just a harmless side note about how hitting a level cap so soon can feel a bit demotivating.

Originally Posted by Zarna
Not really. This is early access, would rather test the other classes.

But then you realize that as long as the level cap stays this low, you hardly even reach the point where classes actually start feeling significantly different to play.

We'll see I guess. Talk to you in a year. I addressed your criticism several times in the said thread but since you completely ignore that I think it would be waste of time to do so again. I'll just say there is a difference between scripting bug and a nonexistent script

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
addict
addict

We'll see I guess. Talk to you in a year. I addressed your criticism several times in the said thread but since you completely ignore that I think it would be waste of time to do so again. I'll just say there is a difference between scripting bug and a nonexistent script

We can critique Act 1 all we want, but if Larian makes Acts 2 and 3 without player feedback then it ultimately makes no difference.

veteran
veteran

We'll see I guess. Talk to you in a year. I addressed your criticism several times in the said thread but since you completely ignore that I think it would be waste of time to do so again.

Well, if by "addressing" it you mean you answered words back to me sure, but I didn't think your point had any particular merit. I just didn't care enough to keep arguing about it.

I'll just say there is a difference between scripting bug and a nonexistent script

But that's the point, isn't it? It was a mixture of both, but most of your criticism looked at it as if it was a final script.
I mean, stuff like "Shadowheart treat me like a companion when I met her even if we never joined before" is *clearly* something unintended that will be fixed, and not "Larian doing poor writing and ignoring the player's actions".

Last edited by Tuco; 24/10/20 12:07 PM.

veteran
veteran

Well, if by "addressing" it you mean you answered words back to me sure, but I didn't think your point had any particular merit. I just didn't care enough to keep arguing about it.

Like I said, we'll see. For what it's worth, I hope I'm wrong and you're right, but I highly doubt it

old hand
old hand
Nope. I am, however, limiting myself on what I do, deliberately, to avoid burning myself out on Chapt. 1. I'm doing here what I did for my own NWN module, and in another module, testing out what's there, looking for things that need to be fixed, seeing if there's anything I'd add, whether it's actually "missing" or not. I'm not writing a comprehensive list of scripts that I'd add, or as I did in another NWN module, writing one and submitting it to the mod author because their method of delivering a key to the next level didn't work, so I wrote a script to fix it. I am, however, looking for things like that. If I spend too much time in it, however, I'll burn myself out, and I want to save some of this "new car" feel for release.

So something that did bother me, there's a side quest for the Grove that sends you to a swamp, that's full of running water. If I'm playing as Astarion, how am I going to get to where the quest sends me, all things considered. That's the stuff I'm looking for, and the stuff worth mentioning. A level cap isn't a concern for me, because I understand that in final release, it will be higher, and it may be higher later on in EA too, but subtle things, or maybe glaring issues, need to be accounted for, because if it goes live, and i didn't miss an alternate route, that could be detrimental to trying to find a more peaceful resolution to the Grove.

D
old hand
old hand
D
Not demotivating per se but I would love to playtest higher levels!

addict
addict
To answer the OP. I'm fine with the level 4 cap. I like exploring, so gaining or not XP has nothing to do with why I'm going in corners of the map.

I also replay to try the different approaches to quests and see what happens.

They want feedback on basic gameplay first, and going by the reaction to the homebrew stuff, it was a wise choice. If there was more levels, they would have had way more stuff to alter based on feedbacks which means longer development.

The level 5+ content is clearly not there as the few enemies with level 5 features are either buggy or have incomplete feature-set. The level 4 cap isn't a case of "lock players at that level", it's a case of "we haven't implemented anything beyond that level yet".

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by azarhal

The level 5+ content is clearly not there as the few enemies with level 5 features are either buggy or have incomplete feature-set. The level 4 cap isn't a case of "lock players at that level", it's a case of "we haven't implemented anything beyond that level yet".

That. It's not like Larian just don't want us to have fun. They did it simply because it's not ready yet.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I'd love to get to 5th level.

On saying that, having the level cap is making me try new and different ways to survive combat. I'm having fun learning new things and trying to 'break the game' after finishing it twice now.
There's still content I have missed (like the goblin children) that I want to try out too.

Love and sausages xx
veteran
veteran

They want feedback on basic gameplay first, and going by the reaction to the homebrew stuff, it was a wise choice. If there was more levels, they would have had way more stuff to alter based on feedbacks which means longer development.

Well, thanks for the detailed explanation even if I didn't actually need a single word of it.

Commenting on the fact that being capped on progression can feel demotivating is a bit different than complaining that you don't understand why.
And none of this changes a word of what I said about several classes barely reaching a point where their differences start to shine at such a low level cap.

It's not even like I was exploring any novel notion. "D&D starts getting good from level 5 going on" is a commonly shared sentiment in the tabletop community, too.

Last edited by Tuco; 24/10/20 12:40 PM.

veteran
veteran

Well, thanks for the detailed explanation even if I didn't actually need a single word of it.

Commenting on the fact that being capped on progression can feel demotivating is a bit different than complaining that you don't understand why.
And none of this changes a word of what I said about several classes barely reaching a point where their differences start to shine at such a low level cap.

It's not even like I was exploring any novel notion. "D&D starts getting good from level 5 going on" is a commonly shared sentiment in the tabletop community, too.

The question is why to raise the issue if you are aware to all of that and don't even argue? Just to say you feel demoralised? It's fine I guess, but I don't see much potential for a productive discussion

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman

The question is why to raise the issue if you are aware to all of that and don't even argue? Just to say you feel demoralised? It's fine I guess, but I don't see much potential for a productive discussion

Not sure what the big deal is; was just asking if anyone has the same issue I have with lack of levelling and motivation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard