Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Hi,

So far enjoying the early access, but Auntie Ethel quest line for the first time since I started playing - made me feel like I am in a early early access.

Here's my experience with her:

First I met her in the grove, she tricked me into thinking that she is just a nice auntie, that's good, but when I got to the house it quickly escalated into a boss fight, I feel like there could have been more build up and more story to be had before she reveals herself as a hag.

But fine, now I get into this fight, then without any explanation some redcaps (who the hell are they?) appear from the swamp and start attacking me while she disappears into the secret passage, ok, I deal with them, but it still feel a bit lazy, like some cutscenes maybe are missing? The Maryian (or whatever she was called) also is somewhat missing without any explanation after the fight, ok, I proceed into the dungeons.

In the dungeon I forgot about "speak with the dead" ability thus ended up speaking with the door and opening them.

A tough fight with 4 mask bearers, ok, that was fine, but again, I missed that I should wear a mask to see past illusions, now perhaps I was lazy to think for a sec about the loot or maybe I should have spoken with dead before that, but I push on.

There's a lot of traps and pathfinding for my companions is making this harder than it should be, but I understand that its early access and path finding will improve, fine.

Then I somehow end up in a secret room and then teleport to the underdark, where I get owned by some large chicken creatures, I kind a understand that this is not for my level, but since its a completely different dungeon, why should it even be under hag's house? Didnt understand the logic here, reloaded and just went deeper to the hags house.

When I get there, I just see Maryian in the cage, saying not to touch her, no signs of Auntie Hag, I loot everything, free Maryian from the cage, she doesnt speak with me, then spend some time searching for the hag.

As it turns out she is invisible and hiding on the bridge, ok, I kill her, she doesnt fight back since she is bugged and then Maryian says that I ruined everything and thats just it, nothing happens afterwards.

After a while I realize that Maryian quest is still active and I have some kind of a resurrection wand (no explanations provided), ok, I find her at the back of the Hags house (needed to go all the way thru the dungeons again since door was bugged at hags house) and then I resurrected her zombie husband and that was that.

To sum up:

If we ignore the bugs, it feels like this quest line is missing out some cutscenes and story, it has a huge protentional, but in the end just feels rushed and dull, please improve it for the full game.

End of the feedback.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Warlord999

Then I somehow end up in a secret room and then teleport to the underdark, where I get owned by some large chicken creatures, I kind a understand that this is not for my level, but since its a completely different dungeon, why should it even be under hag's house? Didnt understand the logic here, reloaded and just went deeper to the hags house.

What? Do you mean this place?

Yeah it is somewhat incomplete and very bugged I agree. I'm also missing the option to simply finish the quest without even mentioning the wand to Maryann - which is kinda my PC's logical conclusion after encountering other hag's "patients" and seeing the state Connor is in.

veteran
veteran
This quest is simply broken right now. I couldn't complete it in any of my playthroughs, and it seems like a matter of luck right now

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by Vhaldez
Originally Posted by Warlord999

What? Do you mean this place?

Yep, this one, didn't have a slightest clue why did I appear there and how that's connected to the hag. Seemed like totally separate and new place that should be part of some other quest.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Probably also worth noting that she can be conversation killed very easily right now. I had a companion lock her into dialogue and was then free to take shots until she was dead. Didn't even need to go downstairs except for loot.

apprentice
apprentice
When I first met her in the grove in my first playthrough she had some weird vibes right off the bat, and gave me a healing potion which did not stack with my other potions.
That just tipped me off about something being wrong with it, and with her, and I felt SO smart for a while and refused to use it.

Turns out a bit later that items not stacking correctly is just a problem in general, and that potion was perfectly fine.

I would have loved if little clues like that meant something a bit more often. Making players find little things that uncover a bigger mystery is great and heavily underused these days.

Link Copied to Clipboard