Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
So thinking about Great Old One patrons. They give you Awakened Mind at 1st level that is missing.

Awakened Mind
Starting at 1st level, your alien knowledge gives you the ability to touch the minds of other creatures. You can telepathically speak to any creature you can see within 30 feet of you. You don’t need to share a language with the creature for it to understand your telepathic utterances, but the creature must be able to understand at least one language.

I think they are use to using telepathy and seems like they should get some GOO dialog choices? A GOO Warlock would just love the tadpole and be looking for ways to control it. Heck, make the GOO patron an Eldar Brain and let them just dive into the Mindflayer plot.

C
stranger
stranger
C
That's an interesting idea, but there is the issue that the tadpole will eventually destroy the host. Self preservation may be a bigger factor.

F
journeyman
journeyman
F
Either this is currently not implemented (most probable option), or the tadpole is neutering this ability unless removed (wich could make sense for the story, but a less viable patron to choose from start).

The Illithid dialogue options are technically already functioning in that category. Conceptually they could just tie the "Awakened Mind" class feature to the Illithid chat options. My idea was to have Awakened mind just ensure that you never need to rest in order to select that option when its available. It would thematically fit the idea, it would also work lorewise as a GOO warlock would have a more direct bond with the tadpole. If you have noticed by now, you can only use this chat feature once per character per long rest. With no real limit to swapping characters to burn their Illithid option.... or just taking a long rest before an important conversation.... this is a nice quality of life buff for someone wanting to run a Warlock as their main character. theyu would never need to change characters or gimmick a save scummed long rest again.

Last edited by pill0ws; 23/10/20 11:31 PM.
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by pill0ws
The Illithid dialogue options are technically already functioning in that category. Conceptually they could just tie the "Awakened Mind" class feature to the Illithid chat options. My idea was to have Awakened mind just ensure that you never need to rest in order to select that option when its available. It would thematically fit the idea, it would also work lorewise as a GOO warlock would have a more direct bond with the tadpole. If you have noticed by now, you can only use this chat feature once per character per long rest. With no real limit to swapping characters to burn their Illithid option.... or just taking a long rest before an important conversation.... this is a nice quality of life buff for someone wanting to run a Warlock as their main character. theyu would never need to change characters or gimmick a save scummed long rest again.

That would be a nice bonus for GOO Warlocks, always have the tadpole power available.

old hand
old hand
I would prefer it as another dialogue option instead. It seems to me that using the tadpole too much causes some currently unknown negative effects. Don't remember what exactly happened but there was something mentioned about losing something you will never get back.

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Originally Posted by Zarna
I would prefer it as another dialogue option instead. It seems to me that using the tadpole too much causes some currently unknown negative effects. Don't remember what exactly happened but there was something mentioned about losing something you will never get back.

I noticed this as well. Seems to not be implemented yet. I also thought there was a serious time restraint on getting the tadpole out so never rested, or rested as little as possible. Apparently there is currently absolutely no urgency to have the tadpole removed.

stranger
stranger
I marathoned to level four without resting because I thought time was a factor. In regards to the patrons of the great old one warlocks, some of the great old ones are star sized writhing masses of worms. So yeah I definitely agree that you should have some special connection with the one wiggling around in your head if you choose it.

Mechanically that means nothing and is storyline floof. A Great Old One warlock would embrace this, this is the source of their power. Yo uhave to consider the motivations of a warlock to begin with, they have a pact with some super powerful patron to recieve some of those powers. Having a tadpole already in your head would be a boon for a warlock who sought powers of similar patrons.

stranger
stranger

Mechanically that means nothing and is storyline floof. A Great Old One warlock would embrace this, this is the source of their power. Yo uhave to consider the motivations of a warlock to begin with, they have a pact with some super powerful patron to recieve some of those powers. Having a tadpole already in your head would be a boon for a warlock who sought powers of similar patrons.

Inviting unknown eldritch horrors into your head tends to have consequences. And not all warlock pacts are made willingly.

Last edited by Valis; 24/10/20 07:14 PM.
A
stranger
stranger
A
Originally Posted by Merry Mayhem

That would be a nice bonus for GOO Warlocks, always have the tadpole power available.

It would be a lot harder to implement than you'd expect - I think a large part of the reason they limited the illithid powers is that they tied it into the dreams.. if you use a ton of illithid powers without resting, it leaves the narrative with the dreams in a kind of awkward spot, because they were designed under the assumption that you'd only be doing it once per rest.

Link Copied to Clipboard