Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Originally Posted by denhonator
As for offering an advantage for a streak of bad luck: some games use RNG mechanics where the actual chance is lowered each time it is successful, and the chance increases each time it fails, resulting in statistically same probability but reducing variance.
I don't personally want it, as it doesn't feel true to how a d20 works. But overall it isn't a bad RNG system.

That would break the way terrain, facing/flanking, and the Advantage-Disadvantage mechanic work together in the game. Why should a phase spider on a web higher than the player party lose that height advantage on subsequent dice rolls, just to make it easier for the player to hit it? It's up there for a reason.

They could also implement an easier difficulty mode where you get guarenteed successful rolls every now and then or something along those lines. Just throwing ideas here

It's rumored there will be different difficulty settings, so they'll have to use some way to make it easier or harder. Probably with adjustments to enemy and player HP, or something simple like that. I suppose they could add modifiers to artificially narrow the gap between the two dice rolls on Advantage-Disadvantage checks, but again that would mess more with the basic game design.

old hand
old hand
It's part of DnD (that other game is the same thing) and I'm sure that is why in some ways Larian has deviated some from core rules. Forget this game, this is a common complaint to any TB game that doesn't address misses and RNG and with a D20 you have a lot of RNG. So one has to decide, but I know there will be people that aren't DnD or bust and they will be disappointed in a lot of misses. Larian should simply have different difficulties and this could be one of the differences. To me have a True DnD experience setting and then one's that address the OP's point. This is always going to be a divide otherwise.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by drimaxus
Maybe you didn't know but all other videogames with RNG have these secret tweaks and extra calculations that go unnoticed.

That's why most won't show or discuss their maths. Xcom a huge game in the TB genre I believe does some voodoo to make the gameplay better to what the players expect.

D
D
Originally Posted by Horrorscope
Originally Posted by drimaxus
Maybe you didn't know but all other videogames with RNG have these secret tweaks and extra calculations that go unnoticed.

That's why most won't show or discuss their maths. Xcom a huge game in the TB genre I believe does some voodoo to make the gameplay better to what the players expect.

Honestly, pure RNG often causes people to think the RNG is broken because they're getting the same result so many times in a row for example. But that is how RNG works. If the game has hidden math to reduce chances of lucky / unlucky streaks, players tend to think it's more accurate to what it should be (not knowing what's going on under the hood, just knowing the results)

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
The only Thing that has to be done is a explanation for hectic not clever people. Or like an Super easy Mode..

But I find it too easy already. Much to easy. I dont even rest anymore. Just eat stuff and use the default attack and cantrips...

I think some harder enemies more mages and difficult enemies in every encounter and hard diseases are needed. Even statt debuffs for several days. Anything.

Last edited by Tav3245234325325; 24/10/20 07:41 PM.
C
CMF Offline
C
The point of misses is showcasing bad strategy and character builds. Without misses, the +1 sword or bow means less. That +1 will help your chance to hit, as you level and stats increase you have even better chance to hit, as you cast spells and increase offense while decreasing defense, you have even more chance to hit. This shows how experienced at combat your characters have become over time.

Beyond the whole elevation issue (some hate it, others don't mind it), there is also darkness and disadvantage. Some people don't realize you can't cast missile/ranged weapons if you "threatened" by an enemy in proximity to you. Also targets that are partially obscured by darkness or totally in the shadows are harder to hit. Putting light effects on or around that target increases chance to it, or adding darkvision to your non-elvish characters will increase their chance to hit.

Other than that, yes, flanking/behind and being above targets make it easier to hit.

Also spells with saving throws as mentioned before are hard to land at lower levels. Using bane or knocking targets prone helps those spells take effect.

Removing chance to hit in lower difficulty makes all gear and levels somewhat pointless, but I guess thats what people want if they are dropping the difficulty level, easy combat.

Last edited by CMF; 24/10/20 07:55 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Mythago
Originally Posted by Mezbarrena
I do a lot of the encounters again and again. Testing what works and what not. Sometimes I get unlucky too. Sometimes I roll really really well. I wish it would change from 50% to a dice roll. Spells that have saves should show their rolls better too. I almost wish their was a combat log that shows actually showed the dice rolling. It could be done like NWN2 and just be text. I hate seeing this % crap. I know the combat log is there, just wish there was a combat tab where it can be seen a lot easier without me having to hover over it. Quick feedback.

The game has a combat log with dice rolls. Click the arrow in the lower right portion of the screen. There's no tutorial or anything telling you about it, but it's there. And you still have to mouseover the "missed" or "hit for x damage" text to see the actual dice rolls. There's a lot of room for improvement, that I agree on.

Way to STOP reading what I said.... I said, I know the combat log is there.... But yeah. Lots of room for improvement. That was my point.

apprentice
apprentice
What I would suggest Larian do, at least as a difficulty option, is to bend the probability curve. Instead of giving every number an equal chance of being rolled, reduce the odds of low rolls a bit--at least for players--and increase the odds of an average roll proportionally.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Killerjunior
80% of all my attack rolls are misses or even better critical misses. You need to fix this garbage. I am going to name my next character "Critical Misses A Lot" It seem very fitting for this game.

Please be our guest!

https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=714538#Post714538

Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
If you think the math isn't working right, then here's how you check.

Make 10,000 (yes, you read that right) attacks at every 5% range. Have you done that? Good, now you've made about (exactly) 200,000 attack rolls. Make sure you logged each of those, otherwise you'll have to go back and do it again. Then compare your results to what the hit percentages say you should be getting. If the end result is within a 10% margin of error after 200,000 rolls, then the math is probably working right.

Probability isn't as easy as "I should hit when I have a 90% chance to hit".

R
Banned
Banned
R
I promised myself I'd never again comment on the 'miss' topic, but there seems to be a very simple-minded argument from a minority of people that if you remove miss, the game is easier. The game is easier because you can miss: enemies that should have turned you to mush just randomly miss, and you might as well be invincible. It's boring stuff. I would say enemies seem to miss more than I do, and I stop being able to take the game seriously because I'm untouchable.

Chess is also turned based strategy and requires infinitely more intellectual resources than a little fantasy game with goblins and liches and whatnot. You never miss in chess, because the 'thinking part' is all in the positioning. Imagine if all your strategic acumen in chess was inevitably foiled because you failed to 'hit' the king, after all that ingenius foresight.

Baldur's gate 3, even with all the geekery of D&D, is not a million miles from the idea of chess. Hitting an enemy is only a miniscule aspect of the overall gameplay. The more interesting part is the creative thinking that requires you to use the landscape etc to gain a better battlefield position than the enemy.

For people who want the lowest level difficulty, I'd suggest leaving the miss option on because enemies will never be able to hit you and you just steamroll the whole game.

Originally Posted by Frumpkis

That would break the way terrain, facing/flanking, and the Advantage-Disadvantage mechanic work together in the game. Why should a phase spider on a web higher than the player party lose that height advantage on subsequent dice rolls, just to make it easier for the player to hit it? It's up there for a reason.

It's rumored there will be different difficulty settings, so they'll have to use some way to make it easier or harder. Probably with adjustments to enemy and player HP, or something simple like that. I suppose they could add modifiers to artificially narrow the gap between the two dice rolls on Advantage-Disadvantage checks, but again that would mess more with the basic game design.

I understand what you mean but in my case missing is not a problem for my characters only, the AI keeps missing a lot too! So it is not something that could be solved with difficulty settings, I just think it is unrealistic when no one hits no one for a whole round. It happened to me during the mission search the cellar that I kept missing and the AI too so the battle became too long and boring.

I don't know you guys but I think in D&D missing can be entertaining when the DM makes up an original or funny description for every miss, but that doesn't apply to a video game where all you get is a text that says MISS, so in my opinion missing chances should be lowered for BOTH teams.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard