Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Corren Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
I'll try my best to avoid spoilers in the thread, but be warned you may very well come across a few.

So I recently managed to finish this quest, which had been resisting me up until now. And I got to say it ends up feeling... underwhelming.

Disclaimer: it's an early access and the devs have VERY POSSIBLY kept some things under wraps to retain some of the please of starting a new game even for early access dwellers. There it's hard to say whether everything is implemented as of yet.

That being said, this is supposed to be a POWERFUL magical artefact... But as you're rolling the dice at the end oif the quest, the descriptions you're given and the actual effects in game simply don't match, and this is something I want to touch on that's common to almost every RPG game with a leveling system: how to deal with a world that doesn't care what level you are?

Cause this is a bit of ludonarrative dissonance. This book should be too difficult to handle for a level 3/4 character, and according to the in-game text, it is. But once the quest is completed, nothing happens. No new conversation with any companion, no in-game effect appart from something that is easily obtainable through various other means... So how should a game handle its players coming across something that they don't have the level to handle? It seems to me that narratively, it should be implied there's a way to deal with it, exactly like the tadpole in our head. Because it is exactly the same situation.

Maybe there are more consequences to this quest that we don't get to see now and will occur as we level up and evolve in the larger world. Maybe the devs have already planned this. I hope they have.

I wonder also if it will have repercussions. ATM I think it is large boost to friendship to whomever you pass the book onto.

Corren Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by FatePeddler
I wonder also if it will have repercussions. ATM I think it is large boost to friendship to whomever you pass the book onto.

See, I didn't even realize that in game.
I am struggling to understand how relations work with various characters. So far I've been unable to make anything work the way I want in that area of the game ^^"

veteran
veteran
Well ... note of doctor table, right next to the skeleton suggest that this book was offering him help with some kind of death rising ... so i expect it will learn that spell if you pass all chceck, but we didnt get it, since its not yet in EA

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
addict
addict
On this topic, I suggest that instead of the very unprobeable 3 rolls in a row the player must succeed, it would be cooler if, after one or two rolls, the player just had to make a choice (not random) where there is a consequence to the bonus you gain.

That consequences could vary depending on how much Wisdom that character has (again, not random. With less than 10 Wisdom, character has impact X. With Wisdom 12, impact Y).
These could be mild curses or insanities along with the Necromantic gifts awarded.

ps : I was lucky and fully past the book's rolls on the first try, with my Lolth-sworn Drow lady (the DCs were 1, 12 I think, then 16). I had the buffs Guidance and Resistance, but not sure they applied (nothing said they did).

Last edited by Baraz; 25/10/20 02:58 AM.
The 3 rolls in a row thing is dumb and unimaginative. You fail one of the 3 and GG, no easily obtainable elsewhere spell. It would be more interesting if it were 3 different types of checks (I cant seem to open the book for some reason, strength check OR aracan) next stage (Read teh text and Int OR Wis check)... etc, just felt very lame when I made an attempt at it, I didnt even bother save scumming, I passed my first check, then saw another check and thought "oh, this is happening? no thankyou"

Last edited by pill0ws; 25/10/20 03:24 AM.
S
S
Things like this are fine to be in the first act, but absolutely should not be significant until much later. There's already a boat load of mid-high level rewards handed out compared to a traditional tabletop campaign. Slow the burn down a bit. I'm already feeling disconnected from the world a bit given just how special the tadpole makes us plus with us getting so many opportunities to literally flex on people until they submit. Either go whole hog that I'm playing the next deity in the Fearun pantheon or keep me grounded.

journeyman
journeyman
What if the reward simply varies by class....cleric may in the future get a revive skills, necromancer an actual raise dead or summon zombie...right now they threw the only spell that makes any kind of sense on it.

Also, if they did give you some super badass spell it would break difficulty....the rolls are difficult but quick save is a powerful ally.

Link Copied to Clipboard