Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Dwarves looks gentle and soft. We need some hardcore, craggy-faced dwarf options that look brutal and mean.

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by capfoxtrot
NOTE: I just want to say that overall I am enjoying EA a lot, and look forward to the improvements coming over the next few months. I played a little bit of DOS, but fell out of it, mostly due to trying to play on console. I think BG3 will receive a lot of unfair comparisons to it, but there a couple I do want to make. I do not think they are the same game, and I vastly prefer BG3.

The positives:

- Hairstyles: Most RPG games like this have terrible hairstyles. Absolutely awful. I love Dragon Age a lot, but they got some ugly hair in that game. I want to emphasize that I do like the current hair options a lot. I hope that more will be offered in the future. I would especially like to see some longer braided hairstyles, or longer styles in general, especially for male appearance (I need that long elf hair).

- Preset Faces: I'll get more into the negatives below, but I do think that the existing preset faces are very nice, and rendered beautifully. I definitely get an immediate sense of this being... a person. I don't know how to describe it.

- Skin/Hair/Eye Colors: I'm happy with the large variety of coloring options I have for skin/eyes/hair, etc. It is a little limited, but overall I feel like I am able to accomplish what I want with the options available. I wish there was a whiter option for the hair - still looks a little yellow/blonde.

Overall, it is beautiful. Beard textures could use some work, but overall even the hair looks like actual... hair. That's nice.

The negatives:

- Missing customization options: I think this is due to EA and being very early in, but it is very clear that some basic customization options are missing - such as:
Scars: very surprised to find there are no scars/scarring options for the face/body, especially in a D&D game
Limited makeup options: The only makeup options affect the eyes. We need makeup for cheeks and lips too.
More sliders/preset option: Faces for sure, but also in terms of height and body type. More muscular, skinnier, fatter, tall, short - FFXIV is an example of a character creator that did this decently. Sliders would be ideal, but some preset options would be fine as well. Let me make my short elf.

More Beard/Hair options: The existing hairstyles are very nice, but again, would like to see more! Mostly though, the beard options are pretty lacking. The texture is a little weird - but the biggest complaint I have is lack of stubble. It's either full beard or baby face. Would like to see more beard/stubble options.

Preset Faces: While the preset faces are gorgeous, they are extremely limited. I would highly, highly suggest two things... either adding in sliders so we can make custom faces and get creative in addition to the preset faces, or add more granular preset options - being able to choose between different preset lips, eyes, eyebrows, that kinda thing. The preset faces are very pretty, but let us create something ugly! If we want! Or, just something unique. If you stick with the preset faces only, we need a looooooot more options. I'm talkin like 20-30 per character/appearance combination. At least.

Overall

The one comparison I am going to make to DOS/DOS2 is this - realize that your target audience for BG3 is a little different. This game is very much targeted at people in the the DND/TTRPG community, and people who have played the previous BG1/BG2 games. Either group is very familiar with d&d or very familiar with the BG games in general. Both of these groups of people have one major expectation coming into a BG3 game - we want to create our D&D characters. That is the first priority.

I am getting the sense that character creation has been ham-stringed due to the time being spent on the set origin characters. And while I do think they will probably end up being neat, and I will eventually play as one or two of them, my first priority is gonna be to create my d&d characters. The limited set of preset faces is the biggest hindrance to this, and will be an even bigger issue in Multiplayer when you look at your friend that has the exact same face you do. It was advertised that there would be 150+ faces - and I don't know if that's overall across all races/appearances, or if they just haven't been released yet, but getting to choose between only 5-6 faces and that's your entire character customization available beyond coloring... that's very disappointing.

I urge you to focus on the custom character options in addition to the set characters you are developing. I'm hoping this will be expanded on as this is EA. As mentioned above, I would suggest at the very least adding a lot more preset faces to choose from, and at best sliders. As a compromise, more granular preset options. That way people who want something simple can just choose a preset face, and those who want to get more into the nitty gritty can do so. Everyone wins!

I am very much enjoying actually playing the game (beyond the bugs I knew I'd run into due to the nature of EA) but having a very samey character that doesn't represent what I tried to create at all is a big bummer.

Thanks for reading!

Popular ideas/feedback gathered in this thread:

- Customize starting armor (Color), and choose starting weapons - this is especially important for like, a dex-based fighter. They would use an entirely different weapon than a strength based fighter.
- Racially themed armor options
- Tiefling tail customizations and horn recolor options. Tieflings also have the least hairstyles available.
- Seeing all the preset faces on NPCs really showcase the fact that the faces are not unique at all
- Elven faces - they don't look like elves, they look like human faces. 'Prettier' face options for men (elves in particular), rougher faces for Dwarves.
- Better & more tattoo options
- Unlock all faces for all races maybe

Last edited by capfoxtrot; 19/10/20 06:42 PM.
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Also, in a perfect world.... I'd love a chest slider, and a hips slider, in addition to a general body slider.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Traycor
Dwarves looks gentle and soft. We need some hardcore, craggy-faced dwarf options that look brutal and mean.

Yes oh dear god YES...I found ONCE female dwarf face that I didn't immediately see as a halfling.

Also, in a perfect world.... I'd love a chest slider, and a hips slider, in addition to a general body slider.

Yes, very very important!

-unlock ALL hairstyles for all races/genders (no I don't care about beards).

L
addict
addict
L
If you’d like to see a modern, simple implementation of sliders for high quality character creation, check out the free-to-play game Bless Unleashed, which just launched this week. I’m pretty sure Larian could incorporate these with their current models to add some variety in character creation – especially physique.

enthusiast
enthusiast

I doubt there would ever be sliders... best we can hope for is they give us several body versions.
Halsin seems to be super jacked so maybe there will be muscular body for players as well?

L
addict
addict
L
Originally Posted by Eddiar

I doubt there would ever be sliders... best we can hope for is they give us several body versions.
Halsin seems to be super jacked so maybe there will be muscular body for players as well?

Bless Unleashed makes it look doable. And yeah, we cannot have barbarians in the game with the current body type!

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by LukasPrism

Bless Unleashed makes it look doable. And yeah, we cannot have barbarians in the game with the current body type!

blessed unleashed?

R
stranger
stranger
R
I think the "body change" option will be fine. The game needs it.

stranger
stranger
After messing with the Character Creation for what was probably hours, trying to figure out what combinations I liked I would say my biggest complaint is the lack of diversity in the faces. I'm looking mostly at the Elf/Half-elf race because I love them and I can't get enough of making them in BG3 or in DnD. They're a race that I connect with a lot, especially half/elf since I'm mixed, and I would just like to see myself reflected in the faces. The Elf faces all have primarily Caucasian features. There is maybe one preset face that has eyes similar to mine but other than that, my character looks White. This isn't a complaint about those presets existing though, I really just long to see an addition faces that look more Asian like my own and I'm sure other Players of Color would like to see a face like theirs on an Elf/Half-elf. Like a one other person above me said, I think the Character Creator in Final Fantasy XIV is a great reference to look at for a Creator that offers a sweet middle when it comes to customization. I would be content if Character Creation went more along the lines choosing a preset and then fine tuning my character by being given the option to swap and change certain features.

All in all, I would like to see the Character Creator branch out into having a more diverse amount of presets/options for Elves. POC got angular faces too!

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Yeah, I was also going to write about adding Asian and african facial features. It looks totally off to have caucasian face with dark skin - its exotic, so its cool for individual characters, but that's not how people of color look like or people from Asia. I really hope you have some of those faces scanned as well and just not added to early access.

Overall I hope you take at least all faces and adjust them for the in-game races to make the racial background more obvious. Even better if you can add sliders on top of that or work with morphs for individual face parts (though this is a technical pain in the ass for masking and making it work...)

I second the idea of selecting starting gear and having cultural influences for the look of armor. Its a lot of work to create all those assets, but it makes a huge difference when you can read someones background from looking at his equipment. If dwarfs and humans and elves just have different body types but the armors are the same it really kills off any feeling for it. It doesn't mean that you shouldn't be able to select another races armor in the beginning, but right now everybody feels like a human from Baldur's Gate.

I would also like the option to pick up hoods, gloves and other things during character creation - no need for gameplay effects, I am not looking for ways to improve my stats, but these little things help individualise my characters. I don't like to have to hope for finding something hours later in the game to just get a basic silhouette for my character established.

L
addict
addict
L
Originally Posted by LukasPrism

blessed unleashed?

Bless Unleashed – it’s only just launched, free-to-play on consoles. The character models are of a comparable level to BG3, but with some sliders to give a bit more customisation without going into crazy detail. I feel like it’s a good balance and achievable for Larian.

I feel like we need some older looking faces as well... Hard to create the old wise looking wizard type if the old wise looking face doesn't exist.

stranger
stranger
I understand the complexities of designing all armour assets to fit infinite body possibilities with sliders.It's a huge undertaking in itself and a nightmare for clipping issues.
Personally, I'm happy not to have body sliders, more so body type presets, from skinny to muscular etc.
E.g.I really hope we see bigger body types for human barbarians. it would be so disappointing to have the current anemic human body type for them upon launch,
Some more weathered and grizzled faces would be nice,as there's far too many young baby faces at present and slapping wrinkles on a young face via a make up option just doesn't look good.
Here's hoping and good gaming.

That which doesn't kill us, better start running!
enthusiast
enthusiast
In an ideal World we would have Sliders and Full Customization but you know how Larian is. Don't delude yourselves.

I'd like to be able to create characters with a more gaunt appearance above everything else. Lots of people ask for muscular/heavier body types to be added but let's not forget about those who enjoy playing sinister and shady-looking fellows. I know you're out there!
A big favorite of mine from DOS2 was good old Ryker wink

- Firm believer in Mindflayer supremacy -
R
apprentice
apprentice
R
I agree, but i think we'll get more presets when the full game comes out. Don't think we'll ever get sliders though.
I really, really want body customization though. Just like a few presets would be nice (skinny, chubby, muscular), or at least more differences between the bodies of the medium sized races.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard