Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
enthusiast
enthusiast
Let's be honest. No one likes Lae'zel. How could you like someone treating you like shit all the time if you are not suffering from some form of Stoccolm's Syndrome?

That say, I really like how she is written. She is well defined, coherent with her culture and I saw at least a hint of personal grought throughout the first act. So, even if I find her attitude extremely unpleasant, I certainly appreciate her as a character from an "artistic" standpoint.

And no, I don't wish for her to have a pet dragon, I'm afraid it wod mean just more surface effects xD

Banned
Banned
I dislike Lae'zel too, but not really any more than the others party characters. They are all pretty terrible. In fact, Lae'zel is one of the better ones. (I dislike Astarion the most).

enthusiast
enthusiast
Of course Larian will write her into being a red dragon rider because they don't care about the lore and aren't actual longtime D&D fans so their gold standard for writing hinges on cool factor. Look at how they've written things in so far and it's easy to see this trend emerge as only things that are cool or grand standing are implemented while everything around it that would not fit the narrative of the story is ignored or altered. It doesn't really matter anymore what the lore says or how D&D works because much like Blizzard and WoW Larian are trying to appeal to everyone and not have a target audience and they think this is the way forward despite this being the thing that decimated WoW.

I am here to discuss a video game. Please do not try to rope me into anything other than that. Thank you.
N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Rhovaniel
I dislike Lae'zel too, but not really any more than the others party characters. They are all pretty terrible. In fact, Lae'zel is one of the better ones. (I dislike Astarion the most).

From what I have read so far in this forum, Astarion has to be the most disliked companion. Personally, I have done 3 playthroughs, and I either killed him or left him to rot in my camp. I just can't stand the way he talks and his manners. He's too over the top evil to be interesting.

Lae'zel is a githyanki and thinks all other races are inferior to her, hence the way she behaves.

Last edited by Nyanko; 25/10/20 11:07 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I wonder how she would react to a Red Dragonborn or a Red Dragon-Blooded Sorcerer.

Evil always finds a way.
Originally Posted by Nyanko

From what I have read so far in this forum, Astarion has to be the most disliked companion. Personally, I have done 3 playthroughs, and I either killed him or left him to rot in my camp. I just can't stand the way he talks and his manners. He's too over the top evil to be interesting.

Lae'zel is a githyanki and thinks all other races are inferior to her, hence the way she behaves.

I wonder, have you ever tried taking him along? He will mostly disapprove when you're running around offering to take out the trash for everyone you meet, however if you take a slightly less eager approach to the "good route" he'll be on board most of the time. For some reason he even approves when you offer to save Mayrina.

As for the Dragon rider - sure I could see that making sense for some path in her epilogue, definitely not in-game however.

It seems to me that in the full game there will be an opportunity to soften the character of Lae'zel.
In the event of a romance or the discovery of the secret of Vlaakith (Well, what she does with strong ambitious githyanki), she could, I don't know, join Sha'sal Khou, urging the gith to unite again to fight the illithids.
Or maybe there will be an opportunity to increase her xenophobia and bloodlust.
In any case, I'm sure she will get a dragon in one of the endings.

Hello there.
I
old hand
old hand
I
You know that the relation between gith and red dragons is strictly business and that they don't exactly like each other?

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Azarielle
Originally Posted by Nyanko

I wonder, have you ever tried taking him along? He will mostly disapprove when you're running around offering to take out the trash for everyone you meet, however if you take a slightly less eager approach to the "good route" he'll be on board most of the time. For some reason he even approves when you offer to save Mayrina.

As for the Dragon rider - sure I could see that making sense for some path in her epilogue, definitely not in-game however.

Honestly, sometimes I wonder why companions approve or disapprove what you do. I've been essentially running the game with Shadowheart and sometimes she approves some stuff I just don't understand why, cause it's like a 180 degres to what she usually agrees to.

enthusiast
enthusiast
@Nyanko
Bad writers.

I am here to discuss a video game. Please do not try to rope me into anything other than that. Thank you.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Sharet
Let's be honest. No one likes Lae'zel. How could you like someone treating you like shit all the time if you are not suffering from some form of Stoccolm's Syndrome?

Actually, one of my characters would really like her. She is very driven, doesn't mince words and doesn't like weakness. Sometimes being rude or blunt gets a point across faster than trying to find the words to not hurt feelings. As a player I can understand where she is coming from. I like all the companions in some way although there are some things about all of them that irritate me as well. Much like real people, there is always that something.

It would be nice to see her have a dragon by the end if that is what she wants.

old hand
old hand
I rather like her, but I suspect she'll be way more fun in the latter part of the game. She's kind of like Viconia, who turned out to be my favourite companion in BG2. She's very set in her ways, but will open up eventually. At least, that's what I suspect.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by rodeolifant
I rather like her, but I suspect she'll be way more fun in the latter part of the game. She's kind of like Viconia, who turned out to be my favourite companion in BG2. She's very set in her ways, but will open up eventually. At least, that's what I suspect.

I think Viconia was compared to all the female characters in the first act on this forum, but it's not bad

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
Originally Posted by Xatasha
She looks and acts like a female grinch https://www.pinterest.com/pin/324540716895078227/

LOL! I named my male gith Grinch. They do bear a strong resemblance to him, don't they?

journeyman
journeyman
People saying they don't like or they hate Lae'zel et al. That is fine cause she hates you too. This is a roleplaying game.

I wish some would realize she is a Gith, they hate everyone, you are all beneath them. You should choose not to be offended with how she acts because that is all she knows and as far as she is concerned you are alive because of her. Its normal to hate gith if you aren't one but clearly advantageous to have one on your side fighting the thing she has fought her whole life. Different cultures man. When I play a Lolth-Sworn Drow I completely love her as I basically talk to everyone the same way heh.

All this companion hate is silly. If you are a dwarf and every survivor was a dwarf and acted the same way I could understand the companion complaints but these are all random with completely different races and alignments so its natural to not be BFF's right away. .. also, you know you can tell them to kick rocks when you meet them right? They will gladly do so, so if you keep them you clearly need their help more than they need yours. I have already removed a couple people because they weren't trustworthily

I saw a post where the person said they felt like they were walking in the shadow of greatness being with these companions. Because they all have a huge backstory and they are hero's already and you are just some dude(dudet) that finds them. Well this is DnD its up to you to write your own backstory. Also these are all the characters with origin playthroughs so yeah.

I don't want the game makers to tell me who I am. There are too many games that force tell you who to be. Skyrim will tell you who you are and it gets old fast aren't you tired of that? Its so refreshing not being told you are the hero without even doing anything. Starting a game where No one knows you is amazing to me. Use your imagination for crying out loud and think of your own background for the character you play. My character feels like they are all in the backseat as I was a hero before ever meeting them and have a mission and act as such while playing. I also deal with the outcomes based on the way I act gladly taking the harder path just because I wouldn't bow down.

Different genre but if you ever watched the movie "predators" a bunch of bad people were dumped in a jungle and it was up to the leader to make them all play nice for the better good of getting out of their alive and strength in numbers so to speak. This is the same idea.

Originally Posted by Zarna
Originally Posted by Sharet

Actually, one of my characters would really like her. She is very driven, doesn't mince words and doesn't like weakness. Sometimes being rude or blunt gets a point across faster than trying to find the words to not hurt feelings. As a player I can understand where she is coming from. I like all the companions in some way although there are some things about all of them that irritate me as well. Much like real people, there is always that something.

It would be nice to see her have a dragon by the end if that is what she wants.

Totally agree. Hopefully she gets to go home.

Last edited by Nabbs; 25/10/20 05:03 PM.

63% of all statistics are completely made up ~ Abraham Lincoln
T
apprentice
apprentice
T
Originally Posted by TheAscendent
I wonder how she would react to a Red Dragonborn or a Red Dragon-Blooded Sorcerer.

She's gonna want to ride that red Dragonborn.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Nabbs
People saying they don't like or they hate Lae'zel et al. That is fine cause she hates you too. This is a roleplaying game.

I wish some would realize she is a Gith, they hate everyone, you are all beneath them. You should choose not to be offended with how she acts because that is all she knows and as far as she is concerned you are alive because of her. Its normal to hate gith if you aren't one but clearly advantageous to have one on your side fighting the thing she has fought her whole life. Different cultures man. When I play a Lolth-Sworn Drow I completely love her as I basically talk to everyone the same way heh.

All this companion hate is silly. If you are a dwarf and every survivor was a dwarf and acted the same way I could understand the companion complaints but these are all random with completely different races and alignments so its natural to not be BFF's right away. .. also, you know you can tell them to kick rocks when you meet them right? They will gladly do so, so if you keep them you clearly need their help more than they need yours. I have already removed a couple people because they weren't trustworthily

I saw a post where the person said they felt like they were walking in the shadow of greatness being with these companions. Because they all have a huge backstory and they are hero's already and you are just some dude(dudet) that finds them. Well this is DnD its up to you to write your own backstory. Also these are all the characters with origin playthroughs so yeah.

I don't want the game makers to tell me who I am. There are too many games that force tell you who to be. Skyrim will tell you who you are and it gets old fast aren't you tired of that? Its so refreshing not being told you are the hero without even doing anything. Starting a game where No one knows you is amazing to me. Use your imagination for crying out loud and think of your own background for the character you play. My character feels like they are all in the backseat as I was a hero before ever meeting them and have a mission and act as such while playing. I also deal with the outcomes based on the way I act gladly taking the harder path just because I wouldn't bow down.

This exactly.

Being the most important person in the world gets rather tiresome. But looking at how a lot of people act nowadays, filled with illusionary self importance and their desperate need for attention, it is no wonder that these types want to be the only person of importance in their games and get upset when npcs don't treat them like royalty. I would rather create my own backstory (without having to use mods, thanks Bethesda) and if I want to be important to any npcs then I should have to work for it. Or just not be important at all, just like everyone else, because a bear or starvation or a headshot can kill anyone no matter how great they think they are. smile

Back to Lae'zel and the hate for her, perhaps people should do research on her culture then mentally place themselves in that environment. Then there should be more understanding of why she is that way. Doesn't mean people will suddenly like her but at least there would be more than the judgmental reaction of "waah she is mean to me so I don't like her."

Originally Posted by Zarna

Being the most important person in the world gets rather tiresome. But looking at how a lot of people act nowadays, filled with illusionary self importance and their desperate need for attention, it is no wonder that these types want to be the only person of importance in their games and get upset when npcs don't treat them like royalty. I would rather create my own backstory (without having to use mods, thanks Bethesda) and if I want to be important to any npcs then I should have to work for it. Or just not be important at all, just like everyone else, because a bear or starvation or a headshot can kill anyone no matter how great they think they are. smile

Back to Lae'zel and the hate for her, perhaps people should do research on her culture then mentally place themselves in that environment. Then there should be more understanding of why she is that way. Doesn't mean people will suddenly like her but at least there would be more than the judgmental reaction of "waah she is mean to me so I don't like her."

I think there is a difference between wanting a power fantasy of being the Saviour of the UniverseTM and hating companions for not immediately liking your Saviour of the UniverseTM. I would like the character to be the center of the story and the story to be about them primarily (similar to BG1 and 2), but I do love characters that do not immediately fall at your protagonist's feet and suck up to them. I just want the options of disagreeing with them and talking back, which I feel like the game offers even in the current state.
Lae'Zel is one of my top favorite characters in the game, and it will be really painful to decide who to keep in the party if the rumors of locked party are true. She will definitely stay till the end though. Don't really care if she gets a dragon or not, but if she does - it will be really cool to see.

Last edited by Arideya; 26/10/20 01:35 AM.

"There are three things that are strength incarnate: there is love of life, there is fear of death, and there is family. A family that loves death would have a strong pull indeed." - Tamoko
enthusiast
enthusiast
Lae'zel is one of the only two companions I actually like, excluding future companions.

Gale is not my taste with his grandeur and who he's been dating.
Shadowheart is also unnecessarily rude, but at least Lae'zel is sort of "kind" for a Githyanki, and she alo focuses on the right things like the cure.
Astarion is... well, the amount of times he's almost(*) killed me is just too much, plus he's evil just to be cruel.

Wyll pretends he's some sort of hero while he uses borrowed power, but he's still a decent person, not too much one way.
And Lae'zel as I said, at least focuses on the objective, and.. Githyanki are usually a lot ruder than her, all things considered she's very friendly for one of her kin.

Shadowheart and Lae are often compared, but Shadow really is that annoying sassy kind of rude, one of the worst character traits you can have imo.

Last edited by GloriousZote; 26/10/20 02:25 AM.
Originally Posted by GloriousZote

And Lae'zel as I said, at least focuses on the objective, and.. Githyanki are usually a lot ruder than her, all things considered she's very friendly for one of her kin.

Shadowheart and Lae are often compared, but Shadow really is that annoying sassy kind of rude, one of the worst character traits you can have imo.

My biggest gripe with Shadowheart is not her character but her voice actually. The actress did a great job, but sometimes to me she just sounds extremely young.
Even Lae'Zel's voice sounds too girlish, but she makes up for it with bad-assery. Shadow is like a little lost sister that hates you on the outside but secretly just wants to be given a hug.
I initially thought they'd both be given deeper and more mature voices.

Last edited by Arideya; 26/10/20 02:34 AM.

"There are three things that are strength incarnate: there is love of life, there is fear of death, and there is family. A family that loves death would have a strong pull indeed." - Tamoko
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard