Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
old hand
old hand
I much prefer spell points, I hate Vancian casting.

O
stranger
stranger
O
Yeah I very much prefer spell points to spell slots.

Spell points DO buff casters but it isn't like Larian hasn't completely *clears throat* "played around" with other balance changes far more daring; bonus action disengage, delicious potato > healing word and including backstab(facing) and height advantage consequences which again, actual variant rules in 5E.

Spell points is a clear optional rule that enhances the experience for certain players and I'd hope to see it as an option in the custom difficulty choices eventually. Otherwise *sigh* hate to have to say it but there's always mods...

W
veteran
veteran
W
I always hated the Vancian system until 5th edition. I’m cool with it now. I think is serves it’s purpose and provides interesting tactical choices.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
5e is kinder to wizards than previous editions. I was loathe to play a wizard over a sorcerer because don't like the Vancian one-shot spell system. 5e does give extra flexibility, but D&D's magic system as a whole leaves me frustrated. I would be very surprised should future editions do away with levels, classes and so one, because then it would 'not be D&D' and the fan-base would probably hunt down the developers and show them what attacks of opportunity really means.

All that said, anything to make D&D more flexible is a good thing in my eyes.

Last edited by Sadurian; 25/10/20 07:14 PM.
I am accustomed to spell slots, but this is contingent with a once per day long rest system. Currently the unlimited long resting makes Spell slots much less limited. Some classes are pretty much defined by their short rest functionality because short rests are supposed to be easier to do. Currently Long rests are so powerful thgat there is no reason to use short rest unless you are just trying to do a speed run (which, in multiplayer I can see being less abusive with resting).

Spell slots are fine, they need to fix long rests and they need to allow for a few more short rests per each long rest. Story dialogue would just have to be done in the world map rather than at camp.

That being said... I am not completely opposed to looking at options. I see why some people would feel weird a bout being able top cast two level 1 magic missiles but not being able to cast one level 2 magic missile.

Last edited by pill0ws; 26/10/20 10:01 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard