Next Thread
Print Thread
#716569 25/10/20 06:20 PM
T
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
This games already got an opening scene of the character potentially pulling an elfs brain out of a skull.

It would be awesome to also have goblins getting split in half with a two handed sword, bugbears losing a leg with a shower of blood on death, An arrow piercing a bandits skull, Exploding barrels resulting in goblins being disintegrated, beheadings etc. I think that kind of cinematic added into combat would give the player a much higher sense of satisfaction.

Just a thought, pools of blood are neat but the above would really drive that stuff home.

Last edited by Tethtoril; 25/10/20 06:21 PM.
Tethtoril #716583 25/10/20 06:32 PM
veteran
veteran
This comment reminds me of the blood textures filling your characters after every fight... Man that was silly. Luckily you could disable it.
Not that I'm entirely against your idea. Perhaps give us some nice animations where we kill something with a crit. The camera is already zooming in

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
Tethtoril #716663 25/10/20 07:31 PM
Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
I'm not sure I want to be playing a gore-fest game. The Faerun Chainsaw Massacre isn't my cup of tea at all.

Last edited by Sadurian; 25/10/20 07:31 PM.
Tethtoril #716727 25/10/20 08:28 PM
There may be a little more of what the OP is looking for, when Larian fixes the camera angles for a critical hit kill by the player. Right now I can never see what's actually happening when that big D20 die appears on the screen, but I think it's intended to be a "kill cam" view like XCOM. Probably with an On/Off option setting in the final game.

I doubt it will be full Faerun Chainsaw Massacre level, but some of the current graphics are pretty grisly. Like what a dead body looks like after Shadowheart kills it with Guiding Bolt. Looks like it's been barbecued to a crisp.

Frumpkis #716730 25/10/20 08:30 PM
D
D
Originally Posted by Frumpkis
Probably with an On/Off option setting in the final game.

It already is a setting

Tethtoril #716848 25/10/20 10:39 PM
stranger
stranger
Some cool finishing animations would definitely be welcome just to spice up the combat a bit. Have it only play if you finish the enemy with a crit or something. They don't all have to be that brutal either. A simple bash to the face with your shield could work similar to the one in DA Origins.

If you guys ever played Age of Conan, that game also had some cool looking weapon based finishing moves. Also had finishing moves based on magic spells as well, come to think of it.

Also, do enemies have any cool looking animations during combat? I haven't played the entire EA yet, but so far all the enemies have had basic looking attacks.

I was fighting the Owlbear and the camera zoomed in on it and I thought it was going to do some crazy pounce attack or something like that, but it just roared. Do enemies have any grapple animations or finishing moves? Like, will an Illithid actually try to grapple you and feast on your brain if you get too close? Or do they all just do generic attacks and spells? That would be disappointing.

We have these amazing looking graphics, but the animations are a bit on the weak side, unfortunately. Not sure if this will be a priority for them, though, as it's not really a deal breaker in a game like this.

Tethtoril #716909 25/10/20 11:39 PM
P
stranger
stranger
P
The amount of blood in the game is already pretty absurd. This isn't supposed to be Diablo.

Tethtoril #717043 26/10/20 03:27 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast

Tethtoril #717319 26/10/20 11:17 AM
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Nope ... its fine as it is. :-/

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
Sadurian #717354 26/10/20 11:50 AM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Sadurian
I'm not sure I want to be playing a gore-fest game. The Faerun Chainsaw Massacre isn't my cup of tea at all.

Wouldn't mind it. wink

In seriousness, some nice crit animations would be nice (so pretty much expand on what we have now).

Paimon #717365 26/10/20 11:55 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Paimon
The amount of blood in the game is already pretty absurd. This isn't supposed to be Diablo.

I totally agree with that.
It's ridiculous to see so much blood everywhere...

But on the other hand, more "gore" doesn't mean even more blood.
"Gore" animation could be cool to give the feeling of chaotic and bloody combats.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
Sadurian #717427 26/10/20 01:00 PM
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Sadurian

No. There's quite enough as it is. I'm reminded of Dragon Age's obsession with covering everything with blood and snot which I disabled as soon as possible.

J'aime le fromage.
Tethtoril #717671 26/10/20 04:25 PM
T
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Its just blood though just liquid red shit, theres no apparent injury its just a generic fall over and die animation.

Even bg2 had corpses explode upon a critical hit, we get a game with actual graphic ability and you folks just want the generic fall over and die sequence?

Christs sake the games about monsters that are capable of devouring the human brain; i agree the pools of blood are rediculously large ( likely due to the potential use as a hazard "electrified" or whatever absurd damage element larian sees as reasonable.) and i dont want a character that looks like he just came from house of a thousand corpses already. What i dont understand is why some folks keep shitting on options that in almost every game ever made have a box you can check to turn it off if you have a weak stomach.

Last edited by Tethtoril; 26/10/20 04:36 PM.
JDCrenton #717681 26/10/20 04:33 PM
T
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
LOL i forgot about that game. I sucked at the time, being like 10 years old when it came out, couldnt get past the first level.

Tethtoril #717691 26/10/20 04:40 PM
Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Originally Posted by Tethtoril
What i dont understand is why some folks keep shitting on options that in almost every game ever made have a box you can check to turn it off if you have a weak stomach.

I think I know this one; it's because those people don't agree that such options are 'kewl' or necessary. That's what you get when you ask for opinions.

Sadurian #717712 26/10/20 04:56 PM
T
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Just feels like some people make it their job to limit other peoples experience regardless of lack of cost to them.

4 pcs or 6 - if i dont want six i can always just take four larian logic "Nah four is fine for me and it should be fine for you too, you stupid purist why even buy the EA if you dont already love larian to death."

More gore with a turn off option. Larian logic "Nah i dont like blood even though the opening scene has me ripping a brain out of someones cranium, live with what they give you."

Gee it sure would be nice if there was an option for real time with pause like the old games. Larian logic "Shut up Larian is gold old man get with the times, you knew what you were getting when the developer was announced."

At this point i just feel frustrated, i know im not the boss and making a game of this magnitude is beyond my capability; on the other hand nobody asked these guys to make this game or use the name baldurs gate. And there are definately people here who enjoy what it has to offer - im one of them, the point im making though is that this game as it stands couldve been done as a true 5e module you buy at a game store and it would function relatively the same. The reason BG1 was so successful was that it took all of the waiting and general boredom out of playing D&D while still using the correct rules for its time. If i wanted q turn based campaign it IS within my ability to create one and just continue to roll actual dice, and figure shit out with a pen and paper, it wouldnt take much longer to play that the current configuration; and because of that i just dont see the point in the concept of it being turn based.

Tethtoril #717732 26/10/20 05:12 PM
Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Well that's the problem with having an opinion about what developers should put into a game with a tight deadline, limited resources and a limited budget. In an ideal universe, Larian would be able to incorporate everyone's pet ideas and preferences, but that simply isn't the case. You want gore, I want better historical accuracy in modelling outfits and armour, someone else wants goblins to be bright green... and so on.

If they were crafting the game to one individual's preference, be that yours or someone else's, then your opinion and demands would absolutely be paramount. But that is not the case. You want lashings of gore, others don't. You are not wrong and neither are those who disagree with you. You are simply expressing what you would like in the game, not somehow oppressing everyone who disagrees.

Last edited by Sadurian; 26/10/20 05:12 PM.
Sadurian #717742 26/10/20 05:18 PM
T
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Nope, but i sure am not going around to all the ideas i dont personally want to see and taking time outta my day to shoot them down. (I agree the swords and armor could use a touch more historical aspect.) Thats something that as far as i can tell shouldnt be difficult to incorporate. Perhaps a blacksmithing system like NWN where you can choose the blade style, hilt, crossguard etc. That expands the game - and if i dont wanna use it i wont. You arent gonna see me chime in on a post like that and say "Nah i'd rather them take that time and write the scripts better."

Abits #717747 26/10/20 05:23 PM
T
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
+1 thats a very well written assessment
Originally Posted by Abits
This comment reminds me of the blood textures filling your characters after every fight... Man that was silly. Luckily you could disable it.
Not that I'm entirely against your idea. Perhaps give us some nice animations where we kill something with a crit. The camera is already zooming in

Link Copied to Clipboard