Such a waste of time.

stranger
stranger
_

C
apprentice
apprentice
C
And it's like they actively try to trick you. Those potion racks never have any potions in them, those bookcases never have scrolls. You'll find those in the random vases and shit, so you're forced to check every little thing if you don't want to miss out. You can't just go "ah I won't bother with that barrel over there, I'll stick with the kinds of containers that are likely to have something interesting in them," because there's no rhyme or reason to it.

old hand
old hand
Nothing wrong with empty containers. There should just be less of them or looting groups of containers instead of the individual.

addict
addict
I mean, most of those things may be empty now, but may not always be.
Personally, I'd rather not walk around empty rooms that have just one barrel in them that I know has something in it.
Every time I do find something in a container, it feels like a treat and really massages that part of my brain that likes being rewarded for effort.

I'm more than happy to deal with a hellscape of empty chests if my alternative is four walls with one vase in it.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

addict
addict
Empty containers IS GOOD. Less junk items, more atmospheric. Very stupid to enter a room to have every single containers with items inside. Or just one single container with everything inside.
If its a waste of time go play a loot game like diablo.
Man I really wish Larian was a smaller studio...more and more comments like this really shows the general gamers expections : controller/ console support and UI, more more more loot, want more action with BIG NUMBERS NOW, multiplayer this multiplayer that, super easy to understand rules, tutorials everywhere, dont want to READ, uuuh mostly caucasian characters so Larian is racist....etc...

I completly understand the retro game craze now lol.

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 26/10/20 06:56 AM.
N
stranger
stranger
N
I dont mind empty containers, just make the empty ones come up with and "empty" dialogue script rather than opening up an empty loot screen. Its just an extra effort to have to close them. Call me lazy but its just annoying.

enthusiast
enthusiast
They absolutely need to reduce amount of those.

V
V
Yeah, same goes for all other objects that are there, but not destroyable yet clickable. It is unnecessary clutter on your screen that makes it hard to interact with the relevant bits. It is also inconsistent. Chests are marked, when pressing alt, barrels are not. Interactable and important objects like levers and chandeliers are not marked. Random loot on the floor is marked, but often not visible without pressing ALT.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Gaidax
They absolutely need to reduce amount of those.

Yup.
And to make far more "streamlined" to browse the remaining ones, too.
Either with some "area-wide search function" or at very least making it so that the highlight function can highlight full containers and automatically dismiss the empty ones.

As it is now it's a pain. Entering certain rooms and spotting an average of 40 containers between crates, vases, SEGMENTED bookshelves (why, Larian? WHY?) almost induces anxiety at times.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Yes, but I fear that would break consistency Larian goes for. Their games are very systemic - if you put something in the world, you can interact with it in expected ways. Empty box might be empty, but you can move it/throw it. Attack enemy with it, climb on it, put it on pressure plate. Likely fill it with stuff and use.

That was not so in Infinity Engine games, where background was more of the background, and in an entire room full of boxes only one could have been interactive - and by interactive I mean openable. There was no need for every box to be interactable, as their only function was to store things.

That said I don’t find Larian approach fun. Can’t speak for BG3, but I found D:OS1&2 interactivity rarely lead to something interesting, and common RPG stuff like exploration, talking to NPCs or looting became incredibly tedious. I am not a fan of sandbox systems though. I like consistency and “immersive sim” approach, but only if scenarios are actually interesting - not a room full of containers or items to through.

veteran
veteran
On topic:
I Agree that this game certainly is kinda "empty" ... on the other hand getting rid of every empty container seem like pretty stupid idea ...
That group looting on the other hand, that is interesting.

Originally Posted by mr_planescapist
general gamers expections : controller/ console support and UI, more more more loot, want more action with BIG NUMBERS NOW, multiplayer this multiplayer that, super easy to understand rules, tutorials everywhere, dont want to READ, uuuh mostly caucasian characters so Larian is racist....etc...

Dont forget Battle royal ...

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
old hand
old hand
I have to search every container, and in this game, it is NOT fun. There are too many searchables and not enough stuff in them. I don't want more stuff. The game already gives us an absurd amount of stuff. What I want is fewer searchables. Feel free to make some of those containers decorative, and not able to be searched. In fact, please do.

Last edited by Firesnakearies; 26/10/20 10:45 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
On topic:
I Agree that this game certainly is kinda "empty" ... on the other hand getting rid of every empty container seem like pretty stupid idea ...

You DO realize that there's a possible middle ground between "Way too many containers" and "get rid of every container", right?

And to be honest the fact that they are often empty is only a marginal problem.
Filling most of those wouldn't make the game any better. If anything, possibly worse.
The last thing this game needs currently is even more cumbersome inventory management filtering tons of trash.

Last edited by Tuco; 26/10/20 10:50 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
old hand
old hand
Yeah, I'm fine with how it is. It's not like it was any different in the originals; scour all of the nashkel, or cloakwood mines, and aside from final chamber, you'd find: Absolutely nothing you want.

Good loot is fairly rare, as it should be. Junk isn't rare, as it should be. Currently one can steal all of a merchants' inventory, including his gold, so you're golden when it comes to money or somesuch, anyway.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
journeyman
journeyman
Right now, there are far too many empty containers, I agree. My assumption is that this is just EA jank, and in the finished product loot is more evenly spread out. I don't want every single barrel or bookshelf to have random junk in it, but there's probably a satisfying middle ground somewhere. Mostly I just want the inventory system to work properly before more loot is added.

vel Offline
It's almost like they forgot to study why Diablo's loot system is so addictive

BG3's millions of empty containers are a fail.

Last edited by vel; 26/10/20 01:22 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by rodeolifant
Yeah, I'm fine with how it is. It's not like it was any different in the originals; scour all of the nashkel, or cloakwood mines, and aside from final chamber, you'd find: Absolutely nothing you want.

Good loot is fairly rare, as it should be. Junk isn't rare, as it should be. Currently one can steal all of a merchants' inventory, including his gold, so you're golden when it comes to money or somesuch, anyway.

Did you somehow miss the actual problem by a country mile?
No one is asking to get "more good loot" in random crates (if anything that's actually something I absolutely despised about the DOS 2 loot system) or for more ways to make money.
People are asking to have less containers around because they are an awful pace-breaking distraction. You either start ignoring most of them (missing out of a lot of potential valuables in the process) or your gameplay flow will be slowed down to a crawl because you will continuously stop to "check the containers, just in case".

And I have no idea of what you are talking about mentioning "the originals". Both BG1 and BG2 had at most a couple of container per area. Hell, let's say four at peak. And that's when it was a packed one.

Last edited by Tuco; 26/10/20 01:36 PM.

stranger
stranger
I'm mixed on this, honestly.
The point for atmospheric placement of items is great, thematically stashing items here or there in some way in and around the map has been a fun game to play: Try to paint the picture of the room as it was before we found it.

Then there's the part of me that groans at the inelegance of the design. For cracking open the 1000th chest only to be greeted with nothing.
The honest to god fix for this is a change of the mouse cursor from "lootable" to "looted" on already empty chests.
If they're "rolling for loot on a table" when the player actively opens the chest when its opened, I would sort of get that, but part of me feels like the room and its loot table should already be rolled on entry into a room / region and not upon investigation of said chest.

I really don't want more loot, I just want more impactful looting opportunities so whenever my mouse lights up that gold starred chest, I get excited.

enthusiast
enthusiast
No need to get rid, they are nice decorations, just have to be properly marked as empty or don't allow interaction with them. Because there are too many, it's just pointless time sink.

I'm not looking for more loot, but still have to open everything because a quest item could be in there; same with dead bodies.

Just show it when empty, though I wish there was a special - optional - marker on every quest item container or body, and not just the empty tag.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard