Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Orbax,
OK, I thougth so it was really amazing sales stats ! xD
I'll answer on the toher topic soon, promess. I'll just take time to process and think carefully before writing.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Sludge Khalid
Hi guys,

Research is online in Reddit as well,
Wish me luck and just a few downvotes

I seeded it with optimism haha, see if that helps. And an award, what the heck right?!

Last edited by Orbax; 25/10/20 10:20 PM.

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
S
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by Orbax
Originally Posted by Zefhyr
Orbax,
10 million for DOS2 ? Are you sure ?
that said, itcan be interesting to compare but it's perillous at the same time. Indeed it's complicated to compare the sales of games edited in many different years. I mean the market wasn't the same 20 years ago obviously.

Im not sure, I dont know what the heck I read lol. I fixed it. Its 1 million copies sold - as of november 2017. Im trying to find current numbers

SteamSpy points something between 2 and 5 mio coppies for DOS2. A good quantity by the way. Yet, comparing the scenario of BG2 related to gaming penetration in the world in the 2000's I'd say that BG2 could possibly be 10 times bigger than DOS2? (Sludge assumption).

I'm usualy avoiding the direct relation of number of number of games sold vs quality.

old hand
old hand
Orbax,
that said, itcan be interesting to compare but it's perillous at the same time. Indeed it's complicated to compare the sales of games edited in many different years. I mean the market wasn't the same 20 years ago obviously.

Im not sure, I dont know what the heck I read lol. I fixed it. Its 1 million copies sold - as of november 2017. Im trying to find current numbers

SteamSpy points something between 2 and 5 mio coppies for DOS2. A good quantity by the way. Yet, comparing the scenario of BG2 related to gaming penetration in the world in the 2000's I'd say that BG2 could possibly be 10 times bigger than DOS2? (Sludge assumption).

I'm usualy avoiding the direct relation of number of number of games sold vs quality.

gaming culture, proliferation of capable PCs.. the numbers are muddy, but it does at least show that Larian, for a tough genre, holds up pretty darn well and isn't a david v goliath battle against the untouchable gods of yesteryear. COD at 250 million copies and Halo has sold over 65 million so we aren't going to talk about how people in general spend their time lol

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
S
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
S
Hi guys,

Research is online in Reddit as well,
Wish me luck and just a few downvotes

I seeded it with optimism haha, see if that helps. And an award, what the heck right?!

Already received your energy, lol
/u/Orbax liked your submission so much that they've given it the Take My Energy Award.

As a reward, you get the special Take My Energy Award icon on your submission. Very dapper.

S
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
S
Orbax,

gaming culture, proliferation of capable PCs.. the numbers are muddy, but it does at least show that Larian, for a tough genre, holds up pretty darn well and isn't a david v goliath battle against the untouchable gods of yesteryear. COD at 250 million copies and Halo has sold over 65 million so we aren't going to talk about how people in general spend their time lol

DAMN 250 copies for COD? And I was amazed of CD's Witcher 3 hitting 50 milion mark.
Now I somehow understand why some of the players treat the game as a fantasy character simulator and that's the solely reason for them to like the game :p

old hand
old hand

DAMN 250 copies for COD? And I was amazed of CD's Witcher 3 hitting 50 milion mark.
Now I somehow understand why some of the players treat the game as a fantasy character simulator and that's the solely reason for them to like the game :p

As of February 2016, the series has sold over 250 million copies*

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
Originally Posted by Isaac Springsong

Yeah you're going to need to cite some actual evidence for that.

Just look for number of people who play RPGs in Youtube. Compare those numbers with people who play or discuss D&D on Youtube. You can clearly see that D&D doesn't represent the majority of CRPG players.

Casual reminder that the *ONLY* reason this game is being made is because Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 were both so popular *AND* had monumentally dedicated communities to a D&D video game that is over 20 years old.

Causual reminder, kiddo, that when I played BG2 (I didn't know BG1 existed before playing BG2) on release, I was already an adult. I didn't care about D&D and loved the game because of the plot, gameplay, and attention to details by Bioware and Interplay/Black Isle Studio. BG3 is being made because the success of DOS2 caused WotC marketing team considered that it would be beneficial to attract attention of the DOS2 fan base to D&D 5e system, which will result in better sales after BG3 release (if the BG3 becomes a successful game).

The only reason you're playing this game is because people like D&D.

No. It's because people liked BG2. On the contrary, the success of BG2 caused my interest in the AD&D 2e because I wanted more BG2 experience.

If you want to play a game that ignores the rules of 5e, go ahead, pick up DoS 2 or DoS 3 whenever it is made. Larian decided to market the game as a D&D game based on the 5th Edition of the rules, so that should be the expectations for the game.

Don't you worry, I can decide what to play for myself without your advice.

W
stranger
stranger
W
"Causual reminder, kiddo, that when I played BG2 (I didn't know BG1 existed before playing BG2) on release, I was already an adult. I didn't care about D&D and loved the game because of the plot, gameplay, and attention to details by Bioware and Interplay/Black Isle Studio. BG3 is being made because the success of DOS2 caused WotC marketing team considered that it would be beneficial to attract attention of the DOS2 fan base to D&D 5e system, which will result in better sales after BG3 release (if the BG3 becomes a successful game)."

Larian won it over Obsidian as WotSC liked their idea better. Had a lot less to do with the games they made. (Larian DoS series and Obsidian PoE series). Both studios had pitched ideas and Larian got picked after Obsidian was turned down. Not saying the games had zero to do with it just not majority reason.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by WinterbornGuard
"Causual reminder, kiddo, that when I played BG2 (I didn't know BG1 existed before playing BG2) on release, I was already an adult. I didn't care about D&D and loved the game because of the plot, gameplay, and attention to details by Bioware and Interplay/Black Isle Studio. BG3 is being made because the success of DOS2 caused WotC marketing team considered that it would be beneficial to attract attention of the DOS2 fan base to D&D 5e system, which will result in better sales after BG3 release (if the BG3 becomes a successful game)."

Larian won it over Obsidian as WotSC liked their idea better. Had a lot less to do with the games they made. (Larian DoS series and Obsidian PoE series). Both studios had pitched ideas and Larian got picked after Obsidian was turned down. Not saying the games had zero to do with it just not majority reason.

Obsidian isnt a slouch either, has a lot of employees from Black Isle studios who:

Developed
Fallout (1997)
Fallout 2 (1998)
Planescape: Torment (1999)
Icewind Dale (2000)
Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter (2001)
Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter - Trials of the Luremaster (2001)
Icewind Dale II (2002)
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II (2004)

Published
Baldur's Gate (1998)
Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast (1999)
Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn (2000)
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance (2001)
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II (2004)
Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal (2001)
Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader (2003)

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B

Sure about that? I think you picked up an additional 0 again wink

-> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games

Looks more like the whole franchise sold that number.

Last edited by biomag; 25/10/20 11:16 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by biomag

Sure about that? I think you picked up an additional 0 again wink

-> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games

Looks more like the whole franchise sold that number.

Im just trusting google :p

[Linked Image]

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
I think 250 mil is the combined sales of all games in the franchise.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Maerd
I think 250 mil is the combined sales of all games in the franchise.

I will be gracious and allow you to combine the BG1/2 sales together grin

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Yeah, I googled it and actually when you expand the answers it says 250 is for the whole franchise. Witcher 3 has not 50 million either, its for the whole franchise (if even, I would have to check that) wink

M
journeyman
journeyman
M

I will be gracious and allow you to combine the BG1/2 sales together grin

What's the point? Simple games will always be more popular than complex games.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by biomag
Yeah, I googled it and actually when you expand the answers it says 250 is for the whole franchise. Witcher 3 has not 50 million either, its for the whole franchise (if even, I would have to check that) wink

The main point was it was at least 1 metric Fk Ton (in British pounds) of sales relative to some of our most beloved games. Within our hallowed grounds, we ignore the stumping footsteps of the cyclopean cave dwellers below as they vie for the honor of mating with the UrFatBtchMom, goddess of duodecumus males, and instead focus on the weaving of tales. The Tapestry that is eternally woven from each of its 20 sides inward, some threads destroyed, others drawn into others' tales as the murmurs of the onlookers are snatched from the air and spun into gossamers of gold, silver, and brass. Ages pass sometimes between a weaver's passing and another taking their place. The Tapestry's abrupt lines between crown and shield show that not all tales can be continued but that the weaving will, it must.

Last edited by Orbax; 25/10/20 11:36 PM.

C
stranger
stranger
C
Sludge, even though its a more volatile environment and you're going to be a whipping boy...https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/ might pump those response numbers up now that youve dialed in the survey a bit more. If youre worried about integrity it might be interesting to duplicate the survey and have a different host address and have a Larian, Reddit, Steam version to compare to by source and do a cross-sectional comparison.

Thanks for changing to Gdrive I forgot to respond lol, the hentai ads must have mind-wiped me, that was gonna be my suggestion. With Google Docs you can link a variety of things together in that space.

Also like to shout out to everyone who played Planescape: Torment. I ran my best D&D one-shot to date by lifting from it and introducing a new group of players to Sigil. If you haven't played it, yes its ungodly old, but the writing is great and you will learn a lot of cool lore. and if you just be patient, take the time, and zen clear your mind and accept the game as current, youll start to get a kick out of it. The new planescape is cool and has a great hook, but I think the first ones was better - you wake up, undead/was dead/still dead?, in a morgue, no memory, covered in tattoos you don't understand, in one of the craziest places youll ever see - Sigil.

Ive thought several times in launching that survey in Reddit. I can definitely make a copy of it and post it there and probably I’ll receive so much downvotes for it that I’ll never make it to the top but I’ll give it a try.
I’m afraid the questions will be too technical to the average Reddit user? Maybe I should try to restructure the questions to be more detailed without losing the essence.
I’ve used to post it there my rational thinking, but instead of counter argumentation I’ve received many strikes. Do you realize that you are throwing me in a cage full of lions? :p

Hell yeah! Let’s go!!

Reddit does a Friday Feedback thread thing, which is great. I linked your survey post there in the latest installment to help out - the subreddit has some 54000+ members and around 2000 active at any point, which is a very healthy number. There are tons of suggestions there that are basically identical to ones in here. Bringing all the feedback to one place would be terrific.

For some reason people treat the subreddit as an official feedback place for everything from suggestions to bug reports. Perhaps it's a part of the reddit sickness of thinking everyone read everything over there. I like reddit, but bringing all that feedback over here is in everyones best interest, I think.

S
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by ChickenInSpace
Sludge, even though its a more volatile environment and you're going to be a whipping boy...https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/ might pump those response numbers up now that youve dialed in the survey a bit more. If youre worried about integrity it might be interesting to duplicate the survey and have a different host address and have a Larian, Reddit, Steam version to compare to by source and do a cross-sectional comparison.

Thanks for changing to Gdrive I forgot to respond lol, the hentai ads must have mind-wiped me, that was gonna be my suggestion. With Google Docs you can link a variety of things together in that space.

Also like to shout out to everyone who played Planescape: Torment. I ran my best D&D one-shot to date by lifting from it and introducing a new group of players to Sigil. If you haven't played it, yes its ungodly old, but the writing is great and you will learn a lot of cool lore. and if you just be patient, take the time, and zen clear your mind and accept the game as current, youll start to get a kick out of it. The new planescape is cool and has a great hook, but I think the first ones was better - you wake up, undead/was dead/still dead?, in a morgue, no memory, covered in tattoos you don't understand, in one of the craziest places youll ever see - Sigil.

Ive thought several times in launching that survey in Reddit. I can definitely make a copy of it and post it there and probably I’ll receive so much downvotes for it that I’ll never make it to the top but I’ll give it a try.
I’m afraid the questions will be too technical to the average Reddit user? Maybe I should try to restructure the questions to be more detailed without losing the essence.
I’ve used to post it there my rational thinking, but instead of counter argumentation I’ve received many strikes. Do you realize that you are throwing me in a cage full of lions? :p

Hell yeah! Let’s go!!

Reddit does a Friday Feedback thread thing, which is great. I linked your survey post there in the latest installment to help out - the subreddit has some 54000+ members and around 2000 active at any point, which is a very healthy number. There are tons of suggestions there that are basically identical to ones in here. Bringing all the feedback to one place would be terrific.

For some reason people treat the subreddit as an official feedback place for everything from suggestions to bug reports. Perhaps it's a part of the reddit sickness of thinking everyone read everything over there. I like reddit, but bringing all that feedback over here is in everyones best interest, I think.

Definitely, ChickenInSpace. Going for the Reddit was a smart decision as the sample just skyrocketed.

Please, find their results:

Link to results (421 interviewees - Error Margin 4.8p.p - POPULATION: REDDIT) :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VWtKnvaXpC0y0j0h7syEGXSC2H92MmKt/view?usp=sharing

S
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
S
Well guys, I cant edit the OP main post any further (maybe there is a limitation in number of days to edit?). That will be somehow troublesome to share the results in a easy way, as we'll have to force the Forum user to dive deep into the pages.

If you have time to do it, please add the link of the most updated version under your comments in the bottom line of your post to make the life of our colleagues easier.

Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard