Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#717260 26/10/20 10:28 AM
Abits Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
What does it matter in this game? In bg1-2 your choice of deity directly affected your powers and abilities, but here it seems like it's all about the domain (which make the hilarious option to create a healer who worships Bhaal). Am I missing something?

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
Abits #717323 26/10/20 11:22 AM
E
apprentice
apprentice
E
I found 1 unique dialogue option for a cleric of Eilistraee, so far, but I have barely arrived in the blighted village in this run. So idk if there are more out there.
So deity-choice at least gives you some dialogue options. I hope Larian expands on these

Abits Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Ectheldir
I found 1 unique dialogue option for a cleric of Eilistraee, so far, but I have barely arrived in the blighted village in this run. So idk if there are more out there.
So deity-choice at least gives you some dialogue options. I hope Larian expands on these

I know for sure there are different dialogue choices for different deities. Selune cleric gets a lot of extra Shadowheart Dialogue. but I was wondering specifically about combat and gameplay-wise.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
Abits #717353 26/10/20 11:50 AM
F
addict
addict
F
Originally Posted by Abits
What does it matter in this game? In bg1-2 your choice of deity directly affected your powers and abilities, but here it seems like it's all about the domain (which make the hilarious option to create a healer who worships Bhaal). Am I missing something?

Actually, in BG1 their was no deity choice. BG2 added three kits for clerics of specific deities, but if you chose a generic cleric instead of one of those three deity selection had no effect. BG enhanced edition added the BG2 cleric kits into BG1. Some cleric spells where effected by alignment, but this was more of an Icewind Dale thing.

Abits Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by FrostyFardragon

Actually, in BG1 their was no deity choice. BG2 added three kits for clerics of specific deities, but if you chose a generic cleric instead of one of those three deity selection had no effect. BG enhanced edition added the BG2 cleric kits into BG1. Some cleric spells where effected by alignment, but this was more of an Icewind Dale thing.

very informative but how does it answer my question?

Abits #720305 28/10/20 01:56 PM
D
apprentice
apprentice
D

I think you know the answer already, it's about roleplay, no need to have an attitude

Abits #721107 29/10/20 12:55 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast

Yeah, why does my Githyanki Vlaakith cleric know holy spells? Shouldn't it all be necromancy?

Abits #723503 31/10/20 01:42 AM
E
stranger
stranger
E
Just my two copper pieces here but I think, and hope, that Larian will tie diety choice to the domain you pick... Each diety only has access to specific domains iirc. It isn't, or shouldn't, be just about role playing "flavor."

Abits #723670 31/10/20 06:50 AM
addict
addict

I think it's all about roleplay and dialogue options. I've seen quite a lot of dialogue options for " Evil Cleric " cause Bhaal.

I heard alignment in 5th edition doesn't matter all that much when it comes to spells so probably no mechanical impact here.

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
Elgohar #723717 31/10/20 08:26 AM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Elgohar
Just my two copper pieces here but I think, and hope, that Larian will tie diety choice to the domain you pick... Each diety only has access to specific domains iirc. It isn't, or shouldn't, be just about role playing "flavor."

This would be interesting. Of course, they would need to add more deities first. I would like to see it also as a flavour option for non clerics since religion is fairly important in the FR.

Abits #723755 31/10/20 09:37 AM
F
addict
addict
F

It's a change in the D&D rules, moving from 2nd edition to 5e. In 5e alignment is in the process of being phased out, and has no mechanical effect (apart from a couple of magic items in the DMG that require specific alignments for attunement).

5e also does not have rigid rules about deities and domains. It has a list suggesting which domains suit which deities, but it is not a hard rule that players are required to follow.

Link Copied to Clipboard