Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I don't know about anyone else, but I already feel like I've gotten my $60 worth out of this game, even if they never added anything else to it. This is the best unfinished game I've ever played, and I think there's a lot of content here too if you go hunting for it. I can't believe there's still SO MUCH MORE to come, and we don't even have to pay any extra for it.

N
old hand
old hand
N
My 130+ hours in tell me it was worth 60$ already.

veteran
veteran
oh yeah definitely. 100 hours in the game, and much more to come. whether I think it's the greatest game ever or a lame dos2 knockoff doesn't matter. I got more than enough out of this game even at its current incomplete state.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
C
journeyman
journeyman
C
I didn't get my $ worth because the game is technically incomplete regardless of the EA's current scope. I got EA primarily to support the devs while simultaneously purchasing the game in advance; oh and just the added small detail of subconsciously waiting for BG3 for like 20 yrs. Guestimating that this game will be like 4x or 5x the size of what it is now, yeah you bet I'll get my $s worth.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I'd say no if you're not a big DnD fan and want to support Larian.
But yes if you are and do.

Paying full price for a game where act 1 isn't even finished yet and is a completely buggy mess is a bit ridiculous unless you just really care.
People get really mad when you say this but I am not saying that the game is bad or that EA is unethical ( Electronic Arts is tho :P ), just that you need to know what you're getting into and be willing to essentially trust Larian with your money.
I look at it more as supporting Larian than buying a game in its current state.
Even if you got 60 hours out of it or whatever I don't think that says much, I don't like to judge games based on time invested.
A game can be trash and 300 hours long while an incredible game can be 1 hour long.
I don't consider an unfinished buggy game to be worth full price without this context of it being about supporting Larian.

If people actually asked themselves if they would've been okay with spending full price money on the game in its current state if it was final then I think people would've said no.
It's worth separating the actual game in its current state from just supporting Larian, I think that most people feel like they got their moneys worth because of the latter and not the former.

Last edited by Svalr; 26/10/20 01:45 PM.
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
60 hours plus all the forum entertainment. So, I guess, yes.

addict
addict
Provided that my money's worth will get me the rest of the game free of charge when it's done, certainly.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Svalr

Paying full price for a game where act 1 isn't even finished yet and is a completely buggy mess is a bit ridiculous unless you just really care.
People get really mad when you say this but I am not saying that the game is bad or that EA is unethical ( Electronic Arts is tho :P ), just that you need to know what you're getting into and be willing to essentially trust Larian with your money.
Even if you got 60 hours out of it or whatever I don't think that says much, I don't like to judge games based on time invested.
A game can be trash and 300 hours long while an incredible game can be 1 hour long.
I don't consider an unfinished buggy game to be worth full price without this context of it being about supporting Larian.
So no I didn't get my moneys worth, but I am trusting that I will in the end and that's why I am willing to part with the money.
It's sorta like a pre-order.

If people actually asked themselves if they would've been okay with spending full price money on the game in its current state if it was final then I think people would've said no.
It's worth separating the actual game in its current state from just supporting Larian, I think that most people feel like they got their moneys worth because of the latter and not the former.

I agree that I wouldn't recommend playing the game at its current state to most people, but it's amazing to me how pre-order of a game is fine but when you pre order the game and get something extra it's suddenly a scam

Last edited by Abits; 26/10/20 01:45 PM.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
enthusiast
enthusiast
Already did in a single day. Everything else is just a huge bonus, so the next chapters will feel like a big gift.

Of course would like party UI replaced, and other things, but the pros overweigh the cons by far already.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Abits

So no I didn't get my moneys worth, but I am trusting that I will in the end and that's why I am willing to part with the money.

I agree that I wouldn't recommend playing the game at its current state to most people, but it's amazing to me how pre-order of a game is fine but when you pre order the game and get something extra it's suddenly a scam

I didn't say that it was a scam.
The question was very specifically about whether people feel like they've got their moneys worth out of the game right now.
The OP even said that he/ she still would have the same opinion even if they abandoned it to the state it's in right now.
That's what I am responding to.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Definately. This game is only going to get bigger and better.

stranger
stranger
Honestly, at first I wasn't sure if I had gotten my money's worth, I kept experiencing crash after crash after crash that I was worried my computer couldn't handle it. Turns out I had 4 Trojan Bitcoin Miners on my computer. Once I took care of those, outside a little lag, I haven't experienced a single crash since.

Finally getting to play through this game and experience the story has been simply amazing. I have been enjoying myself immensely. I don't care if there are bugs or the occasional crash, this has been an amazing experience and I cannot wait for more content.

I would say only buy this if you don't mind having to deal with an unfinished product. It really amazes me the amount of people who seem to complain about this game, like they bought an early access game expecting a day one release full of content and then get mad that there isn't content. That said what they have given us has been awesome, and I love looking up all the wild builds for classes, like the Battle Mage Wizard I just saw was pretty nifty. I wanna try other classes lol

T
apprentice
apprentice
T
Originally Posted by Abits

In current day we have pre-order, pre-purchase, and early access.
Pre-order was prominent back in the day, your money would be reserved when putting in a pre-order, but there is a 100% money back guarantee if the game is not delivered.
Pre-purchase is when you purchase the game ahead of time, but pre-purchases are usually only done when there is a 100% security of game release at some point.
Early access is kinda like a pre-purchase, but with early access to the game content... in this day and age, it means you pay to test the game.

I am largely against pre-orders, pre-purchases and early access. But some studios have made it worth it. Larian is one of the total two to me.

Last edited by TheOtter; 26/10/20 02:43 PM.
stranger
stranger
100% yes.
Even with all of the messy bits of early access, I've already dumped more hours into this glorious glitch-fest than I have in most polished AAA games. That's more on me than anything, but it says something that Larian created a game that threads the needle on my weird preferences.

old hand
old hand
This is just a pre-order with a demo version, so I'm happy. If the developers take into account at least something from my feedback when developing the release version of the game, then $ 60 is not wasted.

I'm even ready to buy DLS after release to reach level 20 and go on new adventures with my favorite characters.

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Did I get my $60 dollars worth? Yes and no. In terms of early access, I have countless hours in and am still finding new things that I did not notice on various playthroughs that add even more hours to the first act.

If Act 1 is any indication as to how long and detailed each act will be, then I can happily say that yes, when the game is released I will have certainly gotten my moneys worth.

However, as the game is still in EA I cannot say "yes" as I have not received the full game. What I am seeing is very promising and I am looking forward to the the future of the games development and when it will ultimately be released fully.

Definitely yep, and I haven't even finished the first Act.

"There are three things that are strength incarnate: there is love of life, there is fear of death, and there is family. A family that loves death would have a strong pull indeed." - Tamoko
old hand
old hand
I played about 60 hours still, and am playing some other stuff for now. Waiting for more content.

stranger
stranger
Oh absolutely! 95h ingame and had lots of fun. Taking a break right now, but will start again with the next patch smile

Banned
Banned
Definitely not. The game is no where near the standard of a $60 game yet. I am hopeful it will get there, eventually.

Honestly, I regret paying for EA. I expected the start to be a bit more function complete and I hoped that this would lead to constructive feedback from the playerbase that could alter core systems. After playing a couple of weeks and interacting on these forums, I don't think that is likely.

V
V
Yeah, well, no. laugh I got one Act with no conclusion that I have not yet played through (maybe half), and mechanics that I find a bit on the cumbersome and lacking side. I had hoped for more, definitely, but I might get my money's worth though in a year or so, the potential is surely there.

Nope. I like endings. .. endings are the best. I feel ripped off if a t.v. show doesn't have an ending because it got cancelled...so it doesn't matter how much time or effort I've put into the game. Until it has an ending and I can judge the completed story I wont' feel like I've gotten my monies worth.

Last edited by vyvexthorne; 26/10/20 06:25 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Not yet, but I'm sure I will when its finished smile

I never had the chance to enjoy the game fully because my desktop needs a video card improvement.

enthusiast
enthusiast
It's good that some don't like it, I almost feel guilty that I do. Because it's like encouraging every game developer out there to launch an unfinished game, which isn't what we doing here, but instead want to make sure this game gets done (without having cash problems) and maybe even be helpful with our "whining" early on, when is more likely to bend things a bit. Hopefully in the right direction.

old hand
old hand
Ah no.

old hand
old hand
Yes, I have. In fact, more than my money's worth, especially since all I've really gotten for that buck so far is the appetizer.

D
stranger
stranger
D
148 hours played. So yes, definitely.

K
apprentice
apprentice
K
Not yet

stranger
stranger
First, im loving the early access, rly am, i do want some changes and some updates, but i love the game so far!

That said, i paid a full game, so i would say, not yet, my money is worth a full game, have they made cheaper for early access, then ill of course say YES, but because i paid Full price for a FULL game, then no...

C
apprentice
apprentice
C
It's a little bit lean for an EA. With a level cap of 4, there's just not much meat to it and I really hope they add more content in a relatively timely manner. If six months go by without expanding the EA's scope, I'll be pretty disappointed. They should really have made it go up to level 5 so we could at least have level 3 spells, because the actual content is enough to hit level 5, it's just capped at 4 for no particular reason.

W
journeyman
journeyman
W
Well it's taken me off of FTB since launch and I'm not quite through all the underdark yet, so I say yea... well done.
I still want the finished game though....

journeyman
journeyman
Well I have 140 hours into it and I still haven’t played ranger, or fighter.

So am I happy I paid for early access(which should be the question) of course I am. This game has more content already than a ton of games that are supposedly complete and it looks amazing.

If anyone somehow thought this was a beta and the game and more content would be coming swiftly....sorry you really didn’t do any research or read anything Larian explained about the process, that is your fault and no whining can change that.

K
stranger
stranger
K
Larian stuidos earned my money with just divinity original sin series. So yes I still got my money worth with 200 hours+

addict
addict
Absolutely - how could you not have. If you paid for EA you did for only a few reasons..

1. Love D&D
2. Love specifically 5E D&D
3. Love Larian Studio's
4. Love Turn Based & possibly DOS/DOS 2
5. Love D&D CRPG's in general.
6. Love the concept of EA & want to support the developers with feedback & cashflow to make the game what you hope it will be.
7. Love RPG's in general.

8. Read the info from Larian , knew what EA meant, knew it was capped at Lvl 4, knew it had bugs & all which EA entails & potentially 12 months or more till final release ....paid your $60 USD anyway knowing this - & dont think you've had your moneys worth ? you don't have a leg to stand on really...

Last edited by Tarorn; 27/10/20 06:32 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
Not yet, but I did play it quite a lot with over 100 hours spent on trying out different playthrough styles.

Yes definitely (and then some having played for 150 hours). But do I enjoy being left on a cliffhanger for unforseeable future? Well not exactly, but it's what we signed for. Would I love additional content (especially storywise)? God yes!

enthusiast
enthusiast
No.

I wish I had pirated the EA rather than waste my money. What I got is dishonest to fraudulent marketing. Morally bankrupt and ethically non-existent business practices. False advertising and profiteering. A complete lack of self-awareness by a developer that I can only imagine is indifference and ignorance working together to create an incompetence cocktail. The same bad decisions. The same poor design. The same surface level writing spread so thin that if whatever depth or artistry there could have been falls to the wayside. Changing source material, lore and mechanics out of nothing more than incompetence and assuming their audience are idiots. The same horribly broken and balanced turn based system that people have been complaining about since DivOS1 and have shows multiple times with video evidence needs rebalancing and serious effort. The same tropes and clichés prevalent everywhere.

I would have preferred to have thrown the money away.

I am here to discuss a video game. Please do not try to rope me into anything other than that. Thank you.
apprentice
apprentice
Of course no, current worth is about 20 eur, but that's ok since its EA and just 1th act. There's more to come and I understood that when buying just to support developers and get an awesome game in a year or so.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Argonaut
No.

I wish I had pirated the EA rather than waste my money. What I got is dishonest to fraudulent marketing. Morally bankrupt and ethically non-existent business practices. False advertising and profiteering. A complete lack of self-awareness by a developer that I can only imagine is indifference and ignorance working together to create an incompetence cocktail. The same bad decisions. The same poor design. The same surface level writing spread so thin that if whatever depth or artistry there could have been falls to the wayside. Changing source material, lore and mechanics out of nothing more than incompetence and assuming their audience are idiots. The same horribly broken and balanced turn based system that people have been complaining about since DivOS1 and have shows multiple times with video evidence needs rebalancing and serious effort. The same tropes and clichés prevalent everywhere.

Thank you for the measured response, free of hyperbole.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Zero hyperbole. Sorry if it offends you because you enjoy the game.

I am here to discuss a video game. Please do not try to rope me into anything other than that. Thank you.
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Zero hyperbole.

You assert a whole lot of things about Larian Studios that I doubt you can really prove. Just to pick out one, you say repeatedly that they are "incompetent". If they're so incompetent, their game must be a failure, no? Yet it's sold over a million copies, over a year before even being finished, and 87% of the over 21,000 reviews on Steam are positive.

I would guess that Larian set out to make a game that would sell well, and be enjoyed by the majority of their customers. They have clearly done exactly that. So how is that incompetence?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Lil'Wayne is incompetent at playing any instrument and at music theory but his music sells doesn't it?
Argument Ad Populum / Appeal to people

Last edited by Argonaut; 27/10/20 02:01 PM.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Someone clearly having a bad day, no point arguing over subjective feels. Nothing good can come out from it. Mine is just as subjective.

Not everyone has to like this game or any other. Imagine wishing for something else and being disappointed. It's just life, the dice roll sux sometimes.
Of course the accusations are harsh, but that's up to moderators to decide if it's going too far. Even then, maybe better keeping it; shows that there are real feelings here. Hating the game can be just as strong as liking it.

Just let every color fall in place. More luck with the next game.

apprentice
apprentice
I don't feel like I've gotten my $60 worth. I guess it's better than a pre-order. I can play the game early and if I don't like it I can return the game, but in exchange I'm play testing it for Larian and giving them $60 for the privilege of doing so. Hopefully this will lead to a product I like more in the end, but I'm worried given what I've seen so far. As far as technical issues are concerned, I spent an hour or two fixing things so it'd run when I first installed it, then it worked fine for about 8 hours, and now it crashes all the time and is unplayable again.

So overall I'd say I've spent about 8 hours of my time playing the game, and 6-8 hours or more trying to fix crashes and providing feedback or reading through the forums on design choices Larian made that feel weird to me. I'm not super hopeful for the future of the game, but I guess I'll wait until the first major patch to see which direction they go in, and wait a year or two until it's done.

apprentice
apprentice
No.

Did you buy it on Steam or GOG? GOG has a new return policy on Early Access games that lets you refund them within 30 days of release, which I take to mean release of the final game, not the early access. I'm not sure on Steam's policy, but for released games it's usually pretty strict and sucks.
https://www.howtogeek.com/659506/how-to-refund-a-gog-game/

enthusiast
enthusiast
Steam, already tried.

Also to make it clear what I want is Larian to openly allow for refunds on the grounds of false advertising.

Last edited by Argonaut; 27/10/20 02:39 PM.

old hand
old hand
Steam, already tried.

Also to make it clear what I want is Larian to openly allow for refunds on the grounds of false advertising.

Just take them to small claims court on that grounds and let us know how it goes. To me it was clearly advertised. See what a judge says to you.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Oh yeah let me spend hundreds of thousands for a 60 euro refund.

Was pretty clear to me too. Baldurs Gate successor in D&D 5e except it's not a successor but a soft reboot and it's not D&D 5e in mechanics and as a cherry on top of the cake its not D&D or FR lore.

K
stranger
stranger
K
265 hrs. I would be ashamed, but quarantine. *shrug*

J
journeyman
journeyman
J

Was pretty clear to me too. Baldurs Gate successor in D&D 5e except it's not a successor but a soft reboot and it's not D&D 5e in mechanics and as a cherry on top of the cake its not D&D or FR lore.

Im not thrilled either by the mechanic changes, but I think we should give Larian the Benefit of the doubt first to give them time to make adjustments. They are still a year out from full release. If by around then they are still not adjusting mechanically then it would merit concern.

Back on Topic
But my rule of thumb personally is if i spent 100+ hrs in a game I def got my monies worth. Not quite there yet but getting close.

Last edited by Jazhara202; 27/10/20 07:04 PM.
T
addict
addict
T
Yes. Already. More than. I love this game. This is the 5e D&D game I was hoping Sword Coast Legends would be.

stranger
stranger
I am just about to crank it up for tonight and that will put me over 200 hrs. Did I get my money's worth? HELL YES

vel Offline
Over 60 hours. Definitely got my $60 worth. I do hope they listen to the feedback though. HP/Ac tweaks, throwables, containers, marathon snooze fights, etc.

Last edited by vel; 28/10/20 12:19 AM.
R
stranger
stranger
R

so if I understand your complaints from these string of posts is that you
1)Bought a game you knew wasn't what you wanted and are upset
2)Then channeled said buyers remorse at the developers and not yourself
3)Proceeded to complain about things that could change under early access while acting like they are set in stone
4)Assumed that some of your opinions are either the majority, despite it being (at least based on an educated guess) a non issue for most people, or more important.

If I have misunderstood your logic please correct me but maybe you just needed to vent rather than lash out?

On the topic of the OP I sure as hell got my moneys worth bugs and all. I'm gonna wait for things to get more polished and more classes/races to be added for a group playthrough with my friends. Can't wait for release.

Depends on how you view it.

If you view EA as a pre-order that comes with a 20-30hr demo, then it's fully worth $60. Because a pre-order with a demo is exactly what this is.

Last edited by cool-dude01; 28/10/20 12:35 PM.
E
apprentice
apprentice
E
I don't think so. I wouldn't recommend anyone to pay 60 bucks for this. I expected act 1 to be finished with only some balancing issues and minor bugs to be sorted out. Act 1 is far from being finished however and I was surprised how janky it actually is (on top of all the balancing problems ofcourse) after EA was dalayed more than once. To be fair this was my first purchase on Stadia so I got a discount, though 50 bucks is still a bit steep.

stranger
stranger
60 Euro, played a bit over 100 hours, game now my number 6 of the most played in my steam library of about 70 games...so definitly worth the investment even on early access already. And there is way more to come.

H
stranger
stranger
H
I thought all the toxic people were in Star Citizen.

T
T
Originally Posted by cool-dude01
Depends on how you view it.

If you view EA as a pre-order that comes with a 20-30hr demo, then it's fully worth $60. Because a pre-order with a demo is exactly what this is.

That's a great way to present it. Although in my case I've just passed the 100 hour mark! And have yet to play co-op with friends and expect to test out new classes when they release. Totally worth it!

I don't understand why people can get upset about an early access title . . . they literally post a giant warning on the steam page. Its not finished, its buggy, you should ONLY preorder if you want to help the developer test the game. If a game not meeting your expectations is going to upset you . . . then you should NEVER preorder a game. Wait until it releases and watch reviews/lets plays before purchasing it.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Played a lot of hours, but that's normal for this genre.

That said, there's a few issues I can see sticking with this game that I do not like, some of which are purely opinions, such as not wanting all followers to be so "playersexual", I think your gender, as well as race should matter for some followers
for example, Shadowheart should never get along well enough with a Githyanki character

(Yeah I know you want to play who you want and not feel hindered, but this is an RPG, I expect immersion, and no I don't want to hear the excuse that this world has magic so how dare I expect realism.)
as well as the pacing of the romance being too fast for most characters, this is the start of Act I, calm down, dude.

Or how I think Gale is a bit of a Mary Sue, given his.. past, perhaps not for d&d standards, but it is kind of insane to me.

Then there's stuff more people agree on, like too many surfaces, missing too often, failing rolls does NOT feel fun at all. (But to be expected with a d&d computer game, I suppose)

Is it worth my money? Eh, not yet, no, I hope they improve on these things, and I hope the full game will be very big indeed, and less letdowns than the Early Access, but it's not too bad, so not all hope is lost yet.

Last edited by GloriousZote; 28/10/20 07:45 PM.
J
stranger
stranger
J
Worth the $60? Oh, yeah.

I've never played anything by Larian before, and my last big fantasy computer game was Dungeon Siege, but I'm a huge D&D 5e fan, and I love turn-based games. I love the (admittedly unrealistic) ability to survey the entire battlefield, contemplate my options, and finally select a choice... before moving on to the next turn.

As I mentioned, I'm a huge D&D 5e fan, and I think this adaptation is superb. There are a few differences (ranger abilities, surfaces, height --> advantage/disadvantage) but they're well thought out and I see them as an improvement on the 5e rules, rather than spitting on them. Mostly, I think the conformance is superb -- and my near-obsessive analysis of the combat logs during some fights bears this out, even if my d20 doesn't roll as well as I want it to. The spells, so far, are wonderful (I love the totally-satisfying slam of Eldritch Blast). I think the flavor and appearance come through great. (My only complaint here: I wouldn't let wizards learn clerical spells.)

I think the monster AI does a great job. Their tactics (particular regarding capturing high ground, clerical buffs, and using area-of-effect bottles and arrows) have taught me a lot about how to fight more effectively. Between the combat AI and the many branches of the storyline, suspension of disbelief is easy. I *believe* in my opponents.

There are some scenes that glitch during the render; I've had a crash or two. Save early, save often. We *were* warned about this. It's part of what you should be expecting for "early access."

For my style and my preferences, this game is nearly perfect. The $60 was well worth it for the more than 140 hours of play I've gotten so far (and I haven't even reached the underdark yet), not to mention the hundreds more hours to come.

-- What? They're going to be releasing even MORE in a year? And I'll get it for free? I'm speechless.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Guys it's not just about the hours, an especially invalid point where one relatively small fight can take 10 minutes, given how slow the gameplay is.

T
T
Originally Posted by GloriousZote
Guys it's not just about the hours, an especially invalid point where one relatively small fight can take 10 minutes, given how slow the gameplay is.

I think the point is, that if we are BG3 for playing 60+ hours then presumably we are enjoying the experience (or a masochist). And any experience I enjoy that costs less than $1 an hour falls clearly into the 'Worth it' category.

enthusiast
enthusiast
On the other hand, the point of EA is presumely to make sure the game will be good on release, and a €60 game should be very high quality, so far, this game has been medium-to-good, so wile I've enjoyed it quite a bit for the.. about 200 hours I've played it, I can't say it meets the standards of a €60 game, even acknowledging that this is Early Access and has bugs and is, naturally, unfinished, only giving critique to things that I can imagine remaining until launch.

Last edited by GloriousZote; 29/10/20 12:53 AM.
C
apprentice
apprentice
C
Originally Posted by trengilly
I think the point is, that if we are BG3 for playing 60+ hours then presumably we are enjoying the experience (or a masochist). And any experience I enjoy that costs less than $1 an hour falls clearly into the 'Worth it' category.

You can't just equivocate it like that. That's like saying if you bought a meal at a restaurant and finished it, you must have liked it and cannot possibly have anything negative to say about the food. It's not like someone would buy the EA, play for 45 minutes and declare that they didn't get their money's worth. Once people have actually seen what the EA contains, they'll say how they feel about it.

The worst thing about insular communities like these is how the fans will incessantly invent reasons why people who criticize the game don't actually deserve the right to do so. What, so the people who played 60+ hours and come here saying they don't like it... they're lying or what? They actually enjoyed it because of the amount of hours they spent on it, despite saying the opposite? Really...

Stop trying to make criticism unwelcome. That's the worst part of gaming culture. Anyone who actually wants the game to be as good as it can get should not contribute to a "only say positive things" atmosphere.

Last edited by Clawfoot; 29/10/20 12:58 AM.
P
stranger
stranger
P

I’m really disappointed. I feel there’s just not enough playable content. Yeah, you can create a couple different characters and choose a couple of different paths to follow in the game, but realistically there’s only about 10 hours of fresh gameplay where you don’t know what’s coming around the next corner.

I know people are going to hate on me (I don’t care. I won’t read your post anyways) but I think it was an ingenious shady scheme for Larian to launch the game in its current state and get people to pay them to work out their bugs. Yeah, I know, people have logged 100+ hours playtime. That’s good. I’m glad you feel you got your money’s worth, but I feel there should be more (much more) when you pay $60 for a game. Again, I know I know, Larian was quite forward in stating the game was incomplete and yeah, I bought the game anyway. But, I feel like I bought a cheap car that I didn’t get to look at before I bought it. Now I’m stuck with a car that has everything it needs to be a car I can drive except it’s missing a tire, the seats and the steering wheel, and it won’t start and I have to figure out why. There’s a word for that, lemon.

Inevitably the way it will play out is every couple of weeks they’ll fix some bugs. Every couple of months they’ll release new playable content which will of course have bugs that will need to be worked out. Wash, rinse, repeat until the game finally launches and everyone who bought the prerelease will already have done everything, and know everything about the game but will have to start over from the beginning.

Oh, if anyone reads this, a word of advice. If you’re making multiple characters to play as updates are released don’t run them through all of the playable content. Stop when you max xp at level 4. Otherwise, depending on how Larian increases the level cap, you may lose out on a bunch of xp.

journeyman
journeyman
Yes I have.

apprentice
apprentice
So far no. Larian promised a DnD game but so far have produced another Divinity game. It plays like Divinity and feels like Divinity. They got some of the DnD rules correct, but so far haven't bothered to address the hundreds of threads asking why they changed so many of the rules. Why Jumping around like it was a Mario game is so important in their game. Hook horrors and Minotaurs just look to goomba stomp you instead of playing like a minotaur should. You can shove as a bonus action when it is supposed to be an attack action. Giving advantage for high ground AND disadvantage for having low ground. And many more issues you can easily find on the suggestions forum thread. These are not trivial things, they change the entire feeling of the game to make it feel less and less like a DnD game. these things would all have to be addressed and made to conform more with proper 5thed rules before I could say it was worth it. If it doesn't then I simply feel lied to and cheated. Since they hyped and promised a DnD game then gave us this.

C
apprentice
apprentice
C
Originally Posted by Dreygor6091
So far no. Larian promised a DnD game but so far have produced another Divinity game. It plays like Divinity and feels like Divinity. They got some of the DnD rules correct, but so far haven't bothered to address the hundreds of threads asking why they changed so many of the rules. Why Jumping around like it was a Mario game is so important in their game. Hook horrors and Minotaurs just look to goomba stomp you instead of playing like a minotaur should. You can shove as a bonus action when it is supposed to be an attack action. Giving advantage for high ground AND disadvantage for having low ground. And many more issues you can easily find on the suggestions forum thread. These are not trivial things, they change the entire feeling of the game to make it feel less and less like a DnD game. these things would all have to be addressed and made to conform more with proper 5thed rules before I could say it was worth it. If it doesn't then I simply feel lied to and cheated. Since they hyped and promised a DnD game then gave us this.

Yeah, and the biggest issue to me is just the overall cartoonishness of the game. The animations, the behaviour of NPCs, the general atmosphere of the game is just so overwhelmingly camp. It completely lacks the fundamental believability of DnD and BG. Apart from the mathematics under the hood, this game is Divinity. Why can I leap fifteen feet from a standstill without any magical assistance? Why does activating Dash cause my character to wave his arms around like he's casting a spell? Why are mundane actions accompanied by flashing lights and arcane sound effects? Why does literally every sentient being in the game speak the common tongue and with a British accent? This game is so unimmersive and filled with so many layers of silly, pseudo-comedic nonsense that it's like a playable cartoon.

The rule deviations from DnD is something I can forgive during EA, because I think they'll fix most of that before release. But the cartoonish vibe of the game, the weird and unrealistic behaviour of characters, the total lack of any sense of different cultures because everyone speaks the same language with either an English, Irish or Scottish accent, the superficial "epicness" that covers every part of the game even from the very beginning... these aren't products of Early Access. These aren't issues that get ironed out over time, they're simply how Larian want the game to be, and I find it so off-putting. It's the McDonald's of RPGs, just like DOS was.

It's clear that Larian didn't even intend to make BG3 feel any different from DOS. It was never in their plans. They didn't try but fail to make this game feel like its own thing, they tried and succeeded to make the next Divinity game, just with DnD lore and mechanics. And they were extremely loose with both of those things as well, so it isn't even a good DnD experience. It's like DnD as perceived by someone who learned about it a couple of months ago, skimmed the books, and went with their first impression. There's no sense of pacing or nuance to it, it's just all the most fantastical things in the DnD repertoire crammed into a tiny space.

Hell, it's even more boring than DOS because excruciatingly slow turn-based combat with one action per turn is awful for video games. At least in DOS you could do multiple things per turn. When you have just four characters and one action per turn in a battle against a dozen goblins, you spend 90% of a 20-minute fight just waiting for the enemies to go through the motions. It's so tedious.

Last edited by Clawfoot; 29/10/20 03:35 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Paying for EA to help Larian develop the game is a two way favor. The player gets to taste the cake while Larian gets much needed data in the hopes of creating a great legacy title. Larian have made great titles and I am sure they are working on the D&D rule issues bothering many players. I myself trust the devs as outside other game devs as they were genuinely giddy about the idea of creating BG3. The support and after care they shown DOS2 after release was above and beyond imo and I am sure they don't want to go down in history in destroying one of the last legacy franchises that haven't been chucked in the SJW underdark.

Listening to the players and showing them they genuinely care about creating a D&D title to rival the BG of the past will endear the playerbase. As such "can do no wrong" in the players eyes should be the goal of all devs, with dedicated fans comes $$$$$$$$. I never pay for a product before it is finished but to support a BG game I have been waiting on for 20 years? There you go!!! Make it great or Ill lose all hope in gaming.

Am I hopeful I will get my money's worth? 100%

Spoilers.

Just looking forward to the next big content update. I don't care about romance dialogue options, I already smashed the clerics head in....then ate her. The gith is on thin ice and the vampire has already been sold to the bounty hunter so I don't have to listen to the clowns melodrama. Gale ate my book so I killed him and knicked his scroll. The blade guy I left with the druids as 5 seconds into convo I was like.....narr he would be dead faster than shadowsplat. Give me a 7 foot tall half-ork barbarian lapdancer or a Drow pale master with an aim to kill her matriarch or something. Mmmm maybe a Drow druid that can shapeshift into a Lolith spider.....

apprentice
apprentice
It’s worth it to have EA Baldur’s Gate 3. It’s just kind of frustrating to have to now wait to finish it....

Not a chance not yet.. $100 Australian is a lot for a level 4 capped pretty broken alpha.. Not saying it wont be better at launch but as it is now i don't believe its given me back my money spent. Plus the homebrew content needs to be removed imo.

Originally Posted by Dreygor6091

Well said this is very much my opinion so far as well. Too much Divinity way to watered down D&D.

Last edited by DanteYoda; 29/10/20 06:21 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
A lot of you have a really low value of a unit of your respective currency.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I think it's a great D&D game, and I've played almost every D&D video game ever made. Sure it has some adaptations, some house rules. So do I, when I DM tabletop D&D. I usually use more house rules than Baldur's Gate 3 does, and my players never say "this isn't D&D".

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
I think it's a great D&D game, and I've played almost every D&D video game ever made. Sure it has some adaptations, some house rules. So do I, when I DM tabletop D&D. I usually use more house rules than Baldur's Gate 3 does, and my players never say "this isn't D&D".

I mean, it would be pretty rude of them to say that when you're all sitting there with character sheets in hand.

Not to be rude to you, but if you did that i would say something.. to much homebrew ruins the game.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by DanteYoda

Not to be rude to you, but if you did that i would say something.. to much homebrew ruins the game.

It can ruin the game, or it can make it better. Depends on how good the DM is. It's not like the system as designed is perfect, especially given the variance of desires of different groups.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I don't know about anyone else, but I already feel like I've gotten my $60 worth out of this game, even if they never added anything else to it. This is the best unfinished game I've ever played, and I think there's a lot of content here too if you go hunting for it. I can't believe there's still SO MUCH MORE to come, and we don't even have to pay any extra for it.

Yep...I'm happy. It always amazes me that some people see the "EA" tag and the prominent admonitions splattered all over the web sites and the game itself about how "early" and "rough" this alpha-level game is-- and yet at the same time seem to believe all of that is really just a fib and of course the EA game is actually code for "Excellent Already," polished and practically finished--like maybe a release candidate or better!....;) They say, "I know it's an alpha but...but...but...but...I didn't really expect it to be an alpha!"

Then there's the crowd that formed a detailed mental picture of what the game was going to look like the moment they heard about it. The EA doesn't look like that to them--and so they can't quite quit thinking of what they *thought* it would be long enough to allow Larian to show them what Larian decided the game would be...and etc.

In terms of all things computerdom, dashed expectations--even if there was never a basis for those expectations--top the list of what disappoints people the most! The people who most enjoy the rare game like BG3 or Witcher 3, etc., are people who "go with the flow" and leave their preconceived notions at the door, imo! Same thing is also true of movies and books. When we don't hem the author/game dev/director in with our own notions as to how things should go the chances exponentially improve for our enjoying the game/movie/book much more than we thought possible...;)

My favorite thing about EA is watching the huge improvements in the story, the animations, the graphics, the voicing, the game world itself, that take place as the game moves towards official release!

I'm never wrong about anything, and so if you see an error in any of my posts you will know immediately that I did not write it...;)
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Yeah, imagine how great the game is gonna be in a year, year and a half.

old hand
old hand
Yes.

N
old hand
old hand
N
180 something hours, I may need help

veteran
veteran
I suppose so, though they could easily have gotten me for $160 if it had all the bells and whistles.

I've been waiting for this title for a couple decades, so obviously I expect a lot, and more hehe

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
What bells and whistles?

journeyman
journeyman
I'm happy with my purchase of the game. I knew what early access meant and I decided to pay for it. I've no issues with my choice.

addict
addict
I am very happy that I bought this game. I’m also never play DnD, so I don’t care about system, I’m just want roleplay game where you can play your character, and I got this. I also don't like waiting, so it's better for me to get something than nothing. At least now I know what to expect.

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
addict
addict
lets see...267 hrs played = $0.23/hour. Yeah its all icing from here.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by RumRunner151
lets see...267 hrs played = $0.23/hour. Yeah its all icing from here.

That is an impressive number of hours! Over double mine. I will get there, though.

S
S
No, but this is EA.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by SacredWitness
No, but this is EA.

Like, for me, the fact that it's EA doesn't really enter the equation. I've seen many people say that because it's not finished, it's not worth their money. And if that's how you feel, cool, you have the right to your opinion. But for me, I just look at "how much entertainment has this given me for the money I spent?" And it's given me a LOT already. Over 100 hours and I'm not even remotely bored, and can't wait to play it again. That's $60 well spent in my book, even IF they never added anything else. But, of course, they ARE adding tons and tons more, so at that point I feel like the eventual value is gonna be insane.

Yes. I'm grateful to be a part of the early access journey.

addict
addict
I'd actually pay more money to get more features/content. Maybe a bunch of DLCs?

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
Quite frankly one of the best 60$ spent this year. Even in this state.

When considering to Marvel Avengers by SquareEnix... which I also paid full price... there's no comparison.

journeyman
journeyman
Absolutely. I already love that game and im hyped for any Content update that is to come - i,ve played around 80hours for sure!

enthusiast
enthusiast
I bought the full game for €60 and got early access for free on top of my purchase.

apprentice
apprentice
Very happy i got the game, firstly because i really love the game so far, and secondly because i wanted to support larian as a developer and BG as a franchise i love.

stranger
stranger
Yes, absolutely.

O
journeyman
journeyman
O
I was expecting somthing different TBH, as it is right now the game is not compelling to me, i hope it will be later on but i doubt it.

V
V
I thought the game would carry me to the release date of Cyberpunk or beyond, but then the delay happened and I clock in at around 32 hours of playtime and have not touched the game for a week. A lot of my playtime is also spend on loading screens and replaying some turns or fights over and over.

While I think the Early Access is carried out very well with a developed, yet unpolished, gameplay experience and a clear outlook of the design philosophy behind the game, BG3 is simply not appealing enough to keep me playing or wanting for more and I am still only half through the first Act.

A
addict
addict
A
Too early to tell (bad pun intended). At this point it depends on whether Larian improves the party control mechanics. Even an interesting story is not enough of an incentive for me to continue if the gameplay itself isn't fun, and as it is, some of the maps were a chore to get through.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
No way I've gotten my money's worth. I'm sure I will in time, but I don't think the early access itself is worth 60 odd USD. Naturally I didn't buy it expecting to 'get my money's worth' out of early access though.

Banned
Banned
Not really, but i'm not one to put hundreds of hours into the same 10/20 hours of unfininished content. I'm also hesitant to say anything's 'good' since it'd have to go with 'for an early access'. Especially because everything feels disconnected, and i'm not too sold on the tadpoles as a spark for the adventure.

It'a all all interesting enough to get me hooked, though.

Last edited by Innateagle; 14/11/20 11:04 AM.
G
guy Offline
G

yes.

Look at the market for gaming. iphone apps with micro transactions. and you end up paying more than $60.
In addition, as a person that played BG 1, then BG 2, yes, someone working on BG 3 is worth it.
What I miss most in BG1 was the map exploration system. BG 2 did a poor job recreating it, focusing more on level content that on map content.

All the old game reference to come to thie point. BG 3... the map... this map is almost fully explorable.
I mean, there are games that, if they added the spell "fly" would be completely game AND PHYSICS breaking for how the levels are designed.
However, BG 3, I feel that, if fly were added, well, the map would be just fine.
There is so much detail to the map, and to distance, that it makes my heart skip a beat.
The devs have a huge task ahead of them, but they are putting a massive amount of effort into a environment that you can interact with. It might even be a new standard for rpgs at this point.
Really, outstanding job for the environmental work alone.

The cons - I do not think origin characters are worth the time they are putting into it. It's a red herring. no one really cares about the railroaded story lines. Well, some do, but more a passing thing. It feels like something to distract from the real meat and potatoes - more classes. more feats. more spells. more races. more area to explore.

AS LONG AS WE DON'T PAY FOR DLC, yes, 100% worth it.

if act 2 is dlc we have to shell out money for.... no. I will not pay more.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I never bought a game that I didn't like to play. The internet is there, you can always check it before buying. Complaining about purchasing a game in EA is pointless. Let's be adults.

old hand
old hand
I'm at $0.32/hour, so I'm pretty satisfied - as long as I get a full game eventually. If only so I can finally finish my fanfic.

stranger
stranger
Not yet but I did EA to support the developers. There is a ton of potential here that can lay the groundwork for a larger system beyond BG3.

journeyman
journeyman
The stage is set. I really think the early release is a super success for them. I have alpha/beta tested other games and this one is probably the least buggy i have seen. Hats off to the development team.

I look forward to other classes and higher levels.

Originally Posted by DanteYoda

It can ruin the game, or it can make it better. Depends on how good the DM is. It's not like the system as designed is perfect, especially given the variance of desires of different groups.

Coming from second edition Homebrew was bad.. it was very much looked down on, 5th ed is crazy weird compared.

D
stranger
stranger
D
I'd send hookers and ice cream to the devs if I could. 315.8 hrs so far and I didn't get to play today... Totally worth 60$

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Dontezz
I'd send hookers and ice cream to the devs if I could. 315.8 hrs so far and I didn't get to play today... Totally worth 60$

^5!

A
Ari Offline
journeyman
journeyman
A
I can say that I am having a good time and am hopeful for the future.

Regrettably, I cannot say the exchange rate between fun and dollar bills, but I do hope that this buds and flowers into something better.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard