Print Thread
#717495 26/10/20 02:02 PM
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Hey Larian,

So I've done a couple of playthroughs, and have submitted a number of bug reports, some which broke my game, but that's alright. I've loved it.

I wanted to thank you for deciding to release the game in Early Access in this format, giving a whole act to play through.

I'm a serious gamer, my Dad got me into gaming at a young age, and we played so many hours of Baldur's Gate 2 together. We've been looking forward to play BG3 together ever since it was announced, relive some old memories of playing RPGs together and go on a new adventure. We've been sure the quality would be good, as we've done multiple playthroughs of Divinity Original Sin 1 & 2, and seriously enjoyed them. It's made the wait even more exciting.

Unfortunately, he was recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's in the midst of lockdown, and his state is such I'm not sure that he'll be able to play the full game with me when it gets out. It's been a worry of mine, as he has really been looking forward to it.
And then you go and release this Early Access. Not a complete game with bugs galore, or a skeleton of a game, but a complete act 1 with a limited number, but well thought out, set of classes and a good long storyline.
This Early Access means that this Xmas I'll be able to go on an adventure with him one last time, and I know he'll enjoy it. The fact that the big baddies are Mind Flayers is just the icing on the cake.

So, amidst the difficulties and pains this Early Access may have caused you, know that you have my deepest and sincere thanks. This is more than an Early Access for me, it's another adventure I can go on with my old man and make some good memories.

Thank you.

G
stranger
stranger
G
Yes, I agree. An amazing game - and for early-access - a lot less fraught with issues and crash-bugs than I have seen with other early-access games.

Though I would love to see the larger 6-character group we had in BG1 & 2, I understand that the larger party at this early stage would just complicate things and make analysing and resolving bugs insanely messy. I would also love to see more AD&D 5e rules and structure of gameplay come in as well: die rolls (sometimes the 20 side does indeed appear to be more cosmetic than actual). Character generation is great and I love the variations allowed. Obviously, being an avid game player, that is completely not enough (we always want more lol). Doing it AD&D style with die rolls, alignment choice, etc would all be great. Of course, factoring in 'many more' different character faces and so on is likely less practical because of the use of actual poeple to model the expressions. With the old BG1 & 2 we just uploaded a JPG and that was that. Nowadays it might be a little harder.

In all, early-access is just that and comes with everything any early-access game comes with - sadly, some players don't grasp that they are never forced to buy a game, nor are they told it's a final release when it's early access. If I do not like a part finished game I won't buy it. If I do buy it I know I have to wait (somewhat patiently) for bug fixes and updates. I have to remember to report issues I have clearly and helpfully so that Devs can quickly work out what to do. Being aggressive and malign about the game after buying it seems disingenuous to me, or have I missed the point of 'Early Access'? Who knows/who cares. Loving the game and looking forward to any other updates that come out. Of course I will be impatient about waiting, but that's my issue and not anyone elses.

Good luck getting the bug fixes and any new stuff out Larian. And thanks @Solfalia for posting the personal story. Well, with the enormous amount of playability in the Early-Access version, I am sure there will be opportunity for many, many hours of play. If you think you have done it all, I am sure you will find that there are areas that you have not explored. For example, what is in the Harpy's Nest, the hidden chests dotted all over the place in the wilds, the different story paths if you play 'evil' or 'lawful' or 'chaotic'. Lots of fun.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard