Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I don't know about anyone else, but I already feel like I've gotten my $60 worth out of this game, even if they never added anything else to it. This is the best unfinished game I've ever played, and I think there's a lot of content here too if you go hunting for it. I can't believe there's still SO MUCH MORE to come, and we don't even have to pay any extra for it.

N
old hand
old hand
N
My 130+ hours in tell me it was worth 60$ already.

veteran
veteran
oh yeah definitely. 100 hours in the game, and much more to come. whether I think it's the greatest game ever or a lame dos2 knockoff doesn't matter. I got more than enough out of this game even at its current incomplete state.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
C
journeyman
journeyman
C
I didn't get my $ worth because the game is technically incomplete regardless of the EA's current scope. I got EA primarily to support the devs while simultaneously purchasing the game in advance; oh and just the added small detail of subconsciously waiting for BG3 for like 20 yrs. Guestimating that this game will be like 4x or 5x the size of what it is now, yeah you bet I'll get my $s worth.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I'd say no if you're not a big DnD fan and want to support Larian.
But yes if you are and do.

Paying full price for a game where act 1 isn't even finished yet and is a completely buggy mess is a bit ridiculous unless you just really care.
People get really mad when you say this but I am not saying that the game is bad or that EA is unethical ( Electronic Arts is tho :P ), just that you need to know what you're getting into and be willing to essentially trust Larian with your money.
I look at it more as supporting Larian than buying a game in its current state.
Even if you got 60 hours out of it or whatever I don't think that says much, I don't like to judge games based on time invested.
A game can be trash and 300 hours long while an incredible game can be 1 hour long.
I don't consider an unfinished buggy game to be worth full price without this context of it being about supporting Larian.

If people actually asked themselves if they would've been okay with spending full price money on the game in its current state if it was final then I think people would've said no.
It's worth separating the actual game in its current state from just supporting Larian, I think that most people feel like they got their moneys worth because of the latter and not the former.

Last edited by Svalr; 26/10/20 01:45 PM.
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
60 hours plus all the forum entertainment. So, I guess, yes.

addict
addict
Provided that my money's worth will get me the rest of the game free of charge when it's done, certainly.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Svalr

Paying full price for a game where act 1 isn't even finished yet and is a completely buggy mess is a bit ridiculous unless you just really care.
People get really mad when you say this but I am not saying that the game is bad or that EA is unethical ( Electronic Arts is tho :P ), just that you need to know what you're getting into and be willing to essentially trust Larian with your money.
Even if you got 60 hours out of it or whatever I don't think that says much, I don't like to judge games based on time invested.
A game can be trash and 300 hours long while an incredible game can be 1 hour long.
I don't consider an unfinished buggy game to be worth full price without this context of it being about supporting Larian.
So no I didn't get my moneys worth, but I am trusting that I will in the end and that's why I am willing to part with the money.
It's sorta like a pre-order.

If people actually asked themselves if they would've been okay with spending full price money on the game in its current state if it was final then I think people would've said no.
It's worth separating the actual game in its current state from just supporting Larian, I think that most people feel like they got their moneys worth because of the latter and not the former.

I agree that I wouldn't recommend playing the game at its current state to most people, but it's amazing to me how pre-order of a game is fine but when you pre order the game and get something extra it's suddenly a scam

Last edited by Abits; 26/10/20 01:45 PM.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
enthusiast
enthusiast
Already did in a single day. Everything else is just a huge bonus, so the next chapters will feel like a big gift.

Of course would like party UI replaced, and other things, but the pros overweigh the cons by far already.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Abits

So no I didn't get my moneys worth, but I am trusting that I will in the end and that's why I am willing to part with the money.

I agree that I wouldn't recommend playing the game at its current state to most people, but it's amazing to me how pre-order of a game is fine but when you pre order the game and get something extra it's suddenly a scam

I didn't say that it was a scam.
The question was very specifically about whether people feel like they've got their moneys worth out of the game right now.
The OP even said that he/ she still would have the same opinion even if they abandoned it to the state it's in right now.
That's what I am responding to.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Definately. This game is only going to get bigger and better.

stranger
stranger
Honestly, at first I wasn't sure if I had gotten my money's worth, I kept experiencing crash after crash after crash that I was worried my computer couldn't handle it. Turns out I had 4 Trojan Bitcoin Miners on my computer. Once I took care of those, outside a little lag, I haven't experienced a single crash since.

Finally getting to play through this game and experience the story has been simply amazing. I have been enjoying myself immensely. I don't care if there are bugs or the occasional crash, this has been an amazing experience and I cannot wait for more content.

I would say only buy this if you don't mind having to deal with an unfinished product. It really amazes me the amount of people who seem to complain about this game, like they bought an early access game expecting a day one release full of content and then get mad that there isn't content. That said what they have given us has been awesome, and I love looking up all the wild builds for classes, like the Battle Mage Wizard I just saw was pretty nifty. I wanna try other classes lol

T
apprentice
apprentice
T
Originally Posted by Abits

In current day we have pre-order, pre-purchase, and early access.
Pre-order was prominent back in the day, your money would be reserved when putting in a pre-order, but there is a 100% money back guarantee if the game is not delivered.
Pre-purchase is when you purchase the game ahead of time, but pre-purchases are usually only done when there is a 100% security of game release at some point.
Early access is kinda like a pre-purchase, but with early access to the game content... in this day and age, it means you pay to test the game.

I am largely against pre-orders, pre-purchases and early access. But some studios have made it worth it. Larian is one of the total two to me.

Last edited by TheOtter; 26/10/20 02:43 PM.
stranger
stranger
100% yes.
Even with all of the messy bits of early access, I've already dumped more hours into this glorious glitch-fest than I have in most polished AAA games. That's more on me than anything, but it says something that Larian created a game that threads the needle on my weird preferences.

old hand
old hand
This is just a pre-order with a demo version, so I'm happy. If the developers take into account at least something from my feedback when developing the release version of the game, then $ 60 is not wasted.

I'm even ready to buy DLS after release to reach level 20 and go on new adventures with my favorite characters.

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Did I get my $60 dollars worth? Yes and no. In terms of early access, I have countless hours in and am still finding new things that I did not notice on various playthroughs that add even more hours to the first act.

If Act 1 is any indication as to how long and detailed each act will be, then I can happily say that yes, when the game is released I will have certainly gotten my moneys worth.

However, as the game is still in EA I cannot say "yes" as I have not received the full game. What I am seeing is very promising and I am looking forward to the the future of the games development and when it will ultimately be released fully.

Definitely yep, and I haven't even finished the first Act.

"There are three things that are strength incarnate: there is love of life, there is fear of death, and there is family. A family that loves death would have a strong pull indeed." - Tamoko
old hand
old hand
I played about 60 hours still, and am playing some other stuff for now. Waiting for more content.

stranger
stranger
Oh absolutely! 95h ingame and had lots of fun. Taking a break right now, but will start again with the next patch smile

Banned
Banned
Definitely not. The game is no where near the standard of a $60 game yet. I am hopeful it will get there, eventually.

Honestly, I regret paying for EA. I expected the start to be a bit more function complete and I hoped that this would lead to constructive feedback from the playerbase that could alter core systems. After playing a couple of weeks and interacting on these forums, I don't think that is likely.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard