Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#717540 26/10/20 02:37 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Anyone else think that Larian is going to go a Divinity 2 route with BG3 in terms of the Origin Characters? Like you get a slightly more immersive experience choosing one of the premade Origin characters as your PC and then choose your class from there? Just asking because on the character screen they're all listed as options, just not currently selectable.

addict
addict
Divinity 2 didn't have origin characters. There was just one mildly customizable character.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

A
stranger
stranger
A
It's hard to imagine how they can be different classes than they are. Gale, Shadowheart and Wyll have their classes pretty ingrained into their storyline, and it's hard to imagine how they could be anything else (excluding subclasses). I guess Lae'zel and Astarion technically could be different classes and get away with it, but chances are if it's not possible for some of the origin characters then it won't be possible for all of them.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Tzelanit
Divinity 2 didn't have origin characters. There was just one mildly customizable character.

Well, they did have origin characters. Premade characters with their own background and personality and voices for in game. Like Sebille, Fane, The Red Prince etc. And you could just select their class.

It's basically the same principle that looks like it's being applied to BG3. Maybe they'll end up staying the classes they're pre-ordained to be, who knows, but the fact that they are selectable from the character creation screen(albeit not currently selectable but the options are there) that our origin characters will be able to be PC's in either future patches of EA or on launch. So you can either play as one of them or you can make your own.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by asdf11784
It's hard to imagine how they can be different classes than they are. Gale, Shadowheart and Wyll have their classes pretty ingrained into their storyline, and it's hard to imagine how they could be anything else (excluding subclasses). I guess Lae'zel and Astarion technically could be different classes and get away with it, but chances are if it's not possible for some of the origin characters then it won't be possible for all of them.

I can definitely see them maybe locking them into their classes, and then you can still make your own or choose one of them and we'll have one per class available to play. I'm excited to see what comes. I'm still holding hope we might get a Psionicist, though 5e doesn't seem to have a Psion class which makes me sad though haha.

W
veteran
veteran
W
5E is going to release a bunch of psionic based subclasses next month. I wound expect to see those in BG3, though. At least not at launch.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Warlocke
5E is going to release a bunch of psionic based subclasses next month. I wound expect to see those in BG3, though. At least not at launch.

Ohhhhhh that is amazing! I have been waiting SO LONG for Psionicists. They have always been my favorite classes, outside the Time Lord, sorry I mean Time Wizard in 2e. I'm excited now, so yeah, I hope we get them in BG3 too.

veteran
veteran
There is a mod that unlocks them, and it appears as though Thier class is locked. Which makes sense. The only characters I would think should have access to more than one class in the beginning of the game are Astarion and maybe Laezel

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
addict
addict
I'm pretty sure Tzelanit meant that Divinity 2 (aRPG, has one protagonist) is not the same as Divinity: Original Sin 2 (has origins).

I really hope they manage to get some subclasses from Tasha's. There's bound to be a lot of cool stuff, including reprints from setting-specific books. For psionic options specifically... idk, I like psionic flavour, but I saw them as Unearthed Arcana and didn't like the psionic die mechanic at all. Iirc WotC have said it'll be changed, so maybe I'll like them. Still salty they've changed flavourful Abberant Mind to a generic Psionic Soul, though.

Regarding your OP: all the (current) companions are going to be playable, just like D:OS2, however you won't be able to change their class. (Or subclass if it's level 1 subclass like Cleric's or Warlock's.)

Originally Posted by TokenStrife
Anyone else think that Larian is going to go a Divinity 2 route with BG3 in terms of the Origin Characters? Like you get a slightly more immersive experience choosing one of the premade Origin characters as your PC and then choose your class from there? Just asking because on the character screen they're all listed as options, just not currently selectable.

'

Looks like it. I did not mind it in DOS2 because they felt more interesting and I wasn't attached to the custom character. I'm hoping here though your custom character can pull their weight.
Not sure how much about them you can change though, I doubt classes will be changeable.

"There are three things that are strength incarnate: there is love of life, there is fear of death, and there is family. A family that loves death would have a strong pull indeed." - Tamoko
I
old hand
old hand
I
Originally Posted by Arideya

'

Looks like it. I did not mind it in DOS2 because they felt more interesting and I wasn't attached to the custom character. I'm hoping here though your custom character can pull their weight.
Not sure how much about them you can change though, I doubt classes will be changeable.

Also it worked in D:OS because you could freely spec the characters however you wanted. In BG though class and attributes are fixed and for several origin characters linked to the story. So origin characters in BG are a lot more limiting than in D:OS. Which is why I think it is a bad idea, but too late to change.

Last edited by Ixal; 26/10/20 04:09 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Tzelanit

Well, they did have origin characters. Premade characters with their own background and personality and voices for in game. Like Sebille, Fane, The Red Prince etc. And you could just select their class.

It's basically the same principle that looks like it's being applied to BG3. Maybe they'll end up staying the classes they're pre-ordained to be, who knows, but the fact that they are selectable from the character creation screen(albeit not currently selectable but the options are there) that our origin characters will be able to be PC's in either future patches of EA or on launch. So you can either play as one of them or you can make your own.

Ah, you meant Divinity: Original Sin 2.
Divinity 2 is another game altogether and you threw me off.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard