Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Randal #716576 25/10/20 06:24 PM
old hand
old hand
You know, about 5 years before anyone ever heard of a Witcher game, I carried a great sword around with me at Renaissance Fairs. I did not have it sheathed on my hip, but instead hung on hooks that were attached to a harness right at the base of my neck. Why? Because I'm 5'11" tall, and the sword, from tip to pommel, was just over 6' long. If you looked at it from a medium distance, where you couldn't see the hooks, it looked like it was floating behind me, instead of hanging on the hooks. It didn't have a sheath, I was a poor bard, not a fancy noble. I was lucky I could afford the sword.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by robertthebard
You know, about 5 years before anyone ever heard of a Witcher game, I carried a great sword around with me at Renaissance Fairs. I did not have it sheathed on my hip, but instead hung on hooks that were attached to a harness right at the base of my neck. Why? Because I'm 5'11" tall, and the sword, from tip to pommel, was just over 6' long. If you looked at it from a medium distance, where you couldn't see the hooks, it looked like it was floating behind me, instead of hanging on the hooks. It didn't have a sheath, I was a poor bard, not a fancy noble. I was lucky I could afford the sword.

How many had short swords, rapiers, maces, clubs, staves and torches hooked to their back though? I don't think anyone is arguing about lugging around big bulky gear on your back. I got 4k gold in my pouch and a +1 rapier, I need it on my side so one hand can sit on the pommel and the other on my hip =)

Randal #717416 26/10/20 12:35 PM
A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Oh maaaan do I want a "Toggle" for how a character should carry their weapon by default. (Much like a "turn off helmet" toggle is needed)

Not only is the "on my back" thing silly. I seriously dislike that they don't use their weapons for casting spells. DnD requires a Focus or component pouch to cast spells in most cases. The fact that Gaels go to spell casting is "put staff on back, and wave my hands" is so silly.

How long has it been since WoW came out? I get they did it there, but this is a 2020 game, it's a bit silly they don't have better solutions for all this yet.

Oh, and when you have a torch, you hold it over your head, not dragging it downwards as if it was a heavy mace...

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Sadurian
Mods: This subject might be a subject for the Megathreads section because, although each is quite small, we are getting a lot of threads on the subject.

OP: I agree with your views but others disagree. The subject has been debated quite a lot here, it might be worth trawling through the Search function to see what has already been said..

You're probably right: I nearly skimmed it as I thought it was another topic I'd already "done". I may merge them together at some point, presuming that doesn't simply cause additional confusion.

J'aime le fromage.
Randal #717447 26/10/20 01:24 PM
S
addict
addict
S
Never was a fan of Manga inspired oversized weapons worn on the back compulsively. And though I love Larian, I HATE how they manage inventory and how they overemphasize loot. This extends to the graphical feedback or lack thereof. For instance, BACKPACKS should be a requirement to carry much at all and be shown on the character's back. Only large weapons, with the exception of polearms, should be worn (alongside backpack) on the back in my opinion.

A toggle for helmet on/off would be nice, but I would hope that this would cost a bonus action to toggle during combat. Suffer for your beauty wink

Randal Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Popsculpture
Originally Posted by Randal
Originally Posted by RumRunner151
But it looks cool and this is not a reality simulator.

True, it is not a "reality simulator", but it IS a sequel in the Baldur's Gate Saga in which weapons were never magically attached to the back of the character.
As for "it looks cool", I stated above that there is no point in arguing about that, since it is personal preference. It's also the reason why I suggested to have two options, realistic and arcade.

I don't really have a horse in this race because it's not really a big deal to me honestly; however, I'd like to point out that they don't have scabbards on any of the weapons and they actually just hover on the hips or backs of the character model. I'm not saying we need them just making an observation.

I don't think we need to go that far as having 2 "modes" it should just be a toggle like hide helm. Just click a box or toggle to move it from back to hip. something like this is so minor that if Larian misses I'm sure modders will get it sorted out.

Good point! But scabbards would be a whole different discussion and more or less independent of where the sword is.

You described it much better than I did, a toggle function, akin to "hide helmet" is precisely what I had in mind.

Randal Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger

Nice story! But let's say you could afford a scabbard for your 6' sword...that would be a 5' scabbard, right? How would you draw the weapon without looking silly? laugh

I stand to be corrected, but I don't think they made scabbards for swords with 5' blades, at least not on a regular bases.

But besides that, a great sword swung on the back for transportation does make sense. Or carried in some other way, such as:
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Randal; 26/10/20 03:33 PM.
Randal #717641 26/10/20 04:01 PM
Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
Personally, I've just never been a fan of weapons being on my character's back. a lot of times I'll just use weapons that sit on his side and so far in EA that would be daggers, or choosing no weapon at all and just spamming cantrips all day.

Randal #717645 26/10/20 04:04 PM
addict
addict
I don't have an issue with how it's currently implemented in this genre. In more action-oriented games that focus on a singular character where the camera is parked behind them and they're up close, I tend to be a bit pickier, but in this instance where 90% of your time is spent with an eagle eye view of a battlefield, I can't say that it's something that I've even noticed.

I feel like this concern falls alongside concerns similar to "I'd like to see a crisp eating animation instead of my character just putting their hand to their mouth" and "why don't my characters relieve themselves or require sleep?" I don't think that these little nuances can or should be a feasible focal point.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

Randal #717673 26/10/20 04:26 PM
old hand
old hand

Nice story! But let's say you could afford a scabbard for your 6' sword...that would be a 5' scabbard, right? How would you draw the weapon without looking silly? laugh

I stand to be corrected, but I don't think they made scabbards for swords with 5' blades, at least not on a regular bases.

But besides that, a great sword swung on the back for transportation does make sense. Or carried in some other way, such as:
[Linked Image]

Yeah, I couldn't have carried it like that and played my guitar... Awkward x9000. There was a young lady that participated in some of the Fairs that I did that had a short sword hung similarly, unless she was participating in the Live Steel events, where people would actually sword fight. She, also, played an instrument, a lute, and hip carry could have done damage to the instrument.

Randal #717699 26/10/20 04:45 PM
stranger
stranger
The absolute last thing I want to see in a DnD game is creative choices making way for historical accuracy. Unless you are playing a campaign that has been tailor made to take place in a historical period, but that's obviously not the case here.

DnD, and in this case FR, is about the larger than life elements of story telling and roleplay, and about transporting yourself to another world to experience something fantastic. I think it is totally acceptable to have elements of the game to have an incredulity or to focus on how cool something looks as opposed to how believable it is in real life. However, I think having an option of where to put the weapon as an extra layer of customization would be acceptable, and I would also encourage it. DnD is afterall all about personal choice. I just would rather not see historical accuracy enforced on anything and that goes for armors and shields too.

Randal #717931 26/10/20 07:15 PM
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Blame Bioware. wink Or at least, it was Mass Effect and the Dragon Age games where I first started seeing weapons floating on the backs of the characters. grin

Now, in some cases, I don't think it's an issue - a longbow would be slung over the shoulder when not carried. And I'd love to have an option for a slung quiver of arrows on my ranger's back. grin

Randal #717935 26/10/20 07:17 PM
veteran
veteran
Yeah but rapier on the back? The thing that drives me nuts is that there weapons they decided are good enough for hip but rapier on back?

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
Randal #717937 26/10/20 07:18 PM
old hand
old hand
When you and your crew be keepin' it real

[Linked Image]

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
addict
addict
Originally Posted by SigStarrlind
The absolute last thing I want to see in a DnD game is creative choices making way for historical accuracy. Unless you are playing a campaign that has been tailor made to take place in a historical period, but that's obviously not the case here.

DnD, and in this case FR, is about the larger than life elements of story telling and roleplay, and about transporting yourself to another world to experience something fantastic. I think it is totally acceptable to have elements of the game to have an incredulity or to focus on how cool something looks as opposed to how believable it is in real life. However, I think having an option of where to put the weapon as an extra layer of customization would be acceptable, and I would also encourage it. DnD is afterall all about personal choice. I just would rather not see historical accuracy enforced on anything and that goes for armors and shields too.

That's well and good, but in some cases looks utterly ridiculous and makes no sense... like rapiers or hand crossbows worn on the back. I can certainly see longswords, greatswords, -axes, -clubs, polearmss, bows and crossbows as being worn there, but small or lighter weapons like a rapier, scimitar, hand axe or hand crossbow should definitely be worn on the hip.

Last edited by Kendaric; 26/10/20 07:34 PM.
Randal Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger

What Kendaric said...

and I think you misunderstood my point. I am not pushing for historical accuracy, far from it. It is a fantasy world after all, as you rightfully pointed out. I made the reference to historical use of weapons because that's how they would be used, even in that fantasy world, because it is the most practical and efficient way. BUT, you are also right about the fact that it is about choice, so if there was a choice to toggle, both sides of the argument would be happy, more copies of the game would be sold, Larian profits and everybody wins. laugh

Randal Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by SkyKnight.Prime
Blame Bioware. wink Or at least, it was Mass Effect and the Dragon Age games where I first started seeing weapons floating on the backs of the characters. grin

Now, in some cases, I don't think it's an issue - a longbow would be slung over the shoulder when not carried. And I'd love to have an option for a slung quiver of arrows on my ranger's back. grin

Oh yes, Dragon Age. I am pretty sure they introduced that weapon-on-the-back style out of necessary (easier to program). Now people build questionable scabbards to justify it. laugh Amazing. They do have my respect though, it requires persistence and creativity.

As stated above: Larian, give us both and we will all rejoice! laugh

Randal #720585 28/10/20 05:35 PM
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert

Oh yes, Dragon Age. I am pretty sure they introduced that weapon-on-the-back style out of necessary (easier to program). Now people build questionable scabbards to justify it. laugh Amazing. They do have my respect though, it requires persistence and creativity.

I don't recall where I first saw it; I thought it was Oblivion but mine was so heavily modded it's anyone's guess. It soon had actual scabbards, anyway.

My biggest gripe tends to be impractical sword designs that would be incredibly fragile and tend to have loads of pointy bat-wings and dragon-claws that would probably cause more injury to the person wielding it. That and the perplexing belief that swords weight "literally 40 pounds". No, they don't: that's not only completely unusable but physically impossible.

J'aime le fromage.
Randal #720647 28/10/20 06:36 PM
journeyman
journeyman

2. Practicality: If you ever get a chance to handle a sword, try it. Put it on your back and unsheathe.

I agree with your entire post, however this is one thing I want to highlight.

Currently, there are no sheathes or quivers.
This bugs me beyond belief. Running around with weapons just "sticking" to you looks awful, especially for bows that fire without a quiver to draw from. It gives me a genuine "naked" feeling.

I really hope they create scabbards and quivers, or it's going to look super lame running around like it currently does.
Yeah, this giant flaming sword on my back definitely doesn't burn at all!

Randal #720735 28/10/20 07:52 PM
old hand
old hand

What Kendaric said...

and I think you misunderstood my point. I am not pushing for historical accuracy, far from it. It is a fantasy world after all, as you rightfully pointed out. I made the reference to historical use of weapons because that's how they would be used, even in that fantasy world, because it is the most practical and efficient way. BUT, you are also right about the fact that it is about choice, so if there was a choice to toggle, both sides of the argument would be happy, more copies of the game would be sold, Larian profits and everybody wins. laugh

In about 30 years of gaming, I have never had anyone I know say that they passed on a game because of how weapons were carried. I was in a Legion of over 200 in Aion, and there were a ton of people in my DDO guild, not sure of the exact count, but in all the times we talked about games we were planning to check out or pass on, "weapons aren't carried the way I like" never entered into the conversation.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard