Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Please, for the love of god, use the dnd rules if you are going to make a dnd game. Jump DOES NOT DO DAMAGE AND KNOCK PEOPLE PRONE, 4th lvl characters do not get two attacks a round without using action surge which is only usable once per short rest. High ground doesn't give advantage. Read the core rule books and use them. Nothing makes a game more frustrating than one that cheats the rules as written.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Slow down kiddo, and consider that the actual D&D rules are so restrictive that they don't translate well into a computer game if done completely literally.

And just like any home/tabletop DM will have "house rules" so also does Larian Studios. Having house rules is not a cheat if they apply to everyone.

High ground does give advantage in real life combat; and there are plenty of reports of people exerting themselves amazingly for short periods (historical berserkers come to mind).

D
D
Originally Posted by Newtinmpls
Slow down kiddo, and consider that the actual D&D rules are so restrictive that they don't translate well into a computer game if done completely literally. ]

Just look at Solasta, 5e rules translate pretty well into a video game.

addict
addict
Slow down kiddo, and consider that the actual D&D rules are so restrictive that they don't translate well into a computer game if done completely literally.

And just like any home/tabletop DM will have "house rules" so also does Larian Studios. Having house rules is not a cheat if they apply to everyone.

High ground does give advantage in real life combat; and there are plenty of reports of people exerting themselves amazingly for short periods (historical berserkers come to mind).

He could have worded it better but no, he is right. A lot of threads have already made the same point though so it is repetitive. Also don't use historical accuracy when talking about a fantasy video game balance.

veteran
veteran

If you think it's easier to hit a target 100m away from you with a bow when you're higher in comparison than if both of you are on the same level... You never try archery...

In arena such in BG3, you wouldn't have any advantages in real life because most of the time, there isn't any obstacles wink

Last edited by Maximuuus; 27/10/20 05:18 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
addict
addict
Also breaking news:

My character hasn't used the bathroom ONCE in 70 hours, and there are no eating animations when I consume the food in my inventory.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

D
D
Originally Posted by Maximuuus

If you think it's easier to hit a target 100m away from you with a bow when you're higher in comparison than if both of you are on the same level... You never try archery...

In arena such in BG3, you wouldn't have any advantages in real life because most of the time, there isn't any obstacles wink

+1, I think irl archers stand on the wall not because they can hit better but because their body has better coverage and they see better from high ground. If you ever played Mount & Blade they simulate it well.

Also let’s say if both you and me stand 20m in front of each other, one stand on 3 boxes and one is on the ground, does one hit much better because he has the so called high ground? Apparently no, and this is what you called High ground gives advantage irl

Last edited by dunehunter; 27/10/20 06:28 AM.
M
journeyman
journeyman
M

that counter argument is void since solasta came out. it shows, how perfectly the dnd5e rules translate into a crpg. and how many special things can be done.
if you combine all the ideas of solasta together with bg3 ideas (but toned down area stuff), it would be such a perfect gaming experience.
so many things you could try and do.
but well. it's 2020. that won't happen...

Way to be condescending.

Like others already said: just look at Solasta. The rules work quite well in a video game. Some things obviously need a solution (mostly flavor-spells like Prestidigitation and Illusion spells)

Lots of tables have no or minimal house rules. To be completely honest: most house rules are bad from a game design standpoint. They are absolutely okay for a specific table to have more fun, but often fail hard for wider audiences.

Real life does not translate well into a computer game if done completely literally. wink

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Dreygor6091
Nothing makes a game more frustrating than one that cheats the rules as written.

It's not a cheat if it applies to allies, enemies and NPCs, it's called a house rule.

Originally Posted by mahe4

if you combine all the ideas of solasta together with bg3 ideas (but toned down area stuff), it would be such a perfect gaming experience.

Can you spell L-A-W-S-U-I-T?
(And no, the fact that Larian is the bigger studio and would probably win is not a counterargument)

Personally I don't care how close they stay to the core rules. While some of their changes need balancing or toning down, just being different from the core rules doesn't make the changes automatically bad.

Originally Posted by KainLexington

Can you spell L-A-W-S-U-I-T?
(And no, the fact that Larian is the bigger studio and would probably win is not a counterargument)

Why would there be a lawsuit? Both companies use a 3rd party licence of the same game system. Larian just got more of the lore and published subclasses etc.

There is literally no ground for any of them both to sue over 5e rules.

veteran
veteran

It's not a cheat if it applies to allies, enemies and NPCs, it's called a house rule.

Eating food during combat, jumping to avoid AOO, jumping to backstab everytime,... Yea, the firsts exemples I have in mind aren't cheat because they apply to everyone crazy

Last edited by Maximuuus; 27/10/20 07:55 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
addict
addict
What Tiki said.

Like what? A Lawsuit lol? They both have a license to make the game... Like wut

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Tzelanit
Also breaking news:

My character hasn't used the bathroom ONCE in 70 hours.

Unless.....

*Sniff*

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by KingTiki

Why would there be a lawsuit? Both companies use a 3rd party licence of the same game system. Larian just got more of the lore and published subclasses etc.

You literally wrote "the ideas of Solasta", not referring to the 5e rules, but things that were inherent to Solasta, making them not part of the D&D license, but the makers a of Solasta's intellectual property.

Originally Posted by KingTiki

You literally wrote "the ideas of Solasta", not referring to the 5e rules, but things that were inherent to Solasta, making them not part of the D&D license, but the makers a of Solasta's intellectual property.

Well, no. You were citing Mahe

that counter argument is void since solasta came out. it shows, how perfectly the dnd5e rules translate into a crpg. and how many special things can be done.
so many things you could try and do.
but well. it's 2020. that won't happen...

Seeing the full post makes it pretty clear they are talking about using the 5e ruleset. But even if not: what do you think would be forbidden to use? I mean: just have a look at the gaming market and see how many very similar games and even clones are out there. Now tell me why there are no lawsuits all over the place.

Op your just talking crazy talk. All the divinity fans will get mad.

R
old hand
old hand
R
I've been playing Solaste a bit and now I know why Larian decided to implement automatic reactions.
The popups are terribly annoying and seem disconnected from the game.
I'm afraid something like this would be even worse in multiplayer.

Originally Posted by Rhobar121
I've been playing Solaste a bit and now I know why Larian decided to implement automatic reactions.
The popups are terribly annoying and seem disconnected from the game.
I'm afraid something like this would be even worse in multiplayer.

On the other side automatic reactions are just plain stupid. In a sense that they cannot think. A reaction is something where you can *decide* something while it is not your turn. And in the current implementation you can't. Some class features like smiting and sneak attack are similar atm. The paladin will feel outright disappointing, as they are pretty much a nova class that excels on doing insane amounts of damage in crits. But with smiting out of you control you just do a little more damage sometimes. But I'd argue that the best strategy will be to not waste spell slots on smiting. They are rare and you have other buffs. But then again: why play paladin? LoH? Its okay but in a game where any stale bread does the job who cares? Probably you are better off playing a heavy armored cleric. Better spell slots, better and earlier spell list.

journeyman
journeyman
Compare True Strike and Jump. The first one is class specific cantrip, takes one full action to cast and requires concentration to make attack next round with advantage. The second takes bonus action, it gives you disengage, teleport and advantage for your attack this round. What's raison d’être of True Strike?

Or that high ground advantage. If the game does have proper cover rules, the high ground would logically remove obstacles and lets you ignore the cover. I will be even OK with some flat -+/2 bonus on hit or damage. Advantage is simply too strong. It's one of the stronges buff in game. Highround now works on spells too, which is totally unintuitive. I can somehow imagin an arrow to have better path to its target from uphill but a spell? Why? Guiding Bolt, which is beam of light does follow balistic law also?

You know the 9th level spell Foresight? This pinnacle of arcane magic does "1 creature sees its near future, can not be surprised and has advantage on his rolls. Attacks against it have disadvantage." Will you cast this high-level magic with your full action or will you just jump on high ground?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard