Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
J
Can their jumping distance be toned back a bit? They majestically leap through the air like they have wings and land gracefully no matter the height. Jumps that killed my adventures were landed without a scratch by a very heavy cloven-hoofed monstrosity and that just doesn't feel right.

Jumping in general feels a little 'crouching tiger hidden dragon', where your max height & distance for jumping seem to be rolled into one (eg: 18 STR Character can jump onto a 7 foot wall, 18 feet away - all done from standing).
It turns combat and exploration into almost a weird platformer. It would be nice if taking a long jump away from or trying to jump over someone in combat provoked an AoO (with a chance to prone or something). I dunno - maybe this is just me but it all feels very, very off as is.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
The best way to tone it down is to remove it, along with every other jump in the current game with no exceptions, and make it an action.

D
D
Gravity in BG3 is low wink

S
Banned
Banned
S
Minotaurs have strong legs, if you didnt notice.

Their jump creates the "oh shit!" reaction and the following smash attacks enhance it. It tells the player you aint in the Kansas anymore, that Underdark will require being careful and more advanced tactics and behavior then just rushing the enemy.
The denizens are especially dangerous - and that must be shown in palpable ways.

That needs to be maintained.

Once the game is done there will be an easy difficulty so you and others that complain about this can play on easy or switch to it when things get hard.

The only thing i would request is to add a third Minotaur.

Originally Posted by Surface R

Their jump creates the "oh shit!" reaction and the following smash attacks enhance it. It tells the player you aint in the Kansas anymore, that Underdark will require being careful and more advanced tactics and behavior then just rushing the enemy.
The denizens are especially dangerous - and that must be shown in palpable ways.

Once the game is done there will be an easy difficulty so you and others that complain about this can play on easy or switch to it when things get hard.

Then how come this mechanic cannot be recreated once you're controlling the Minotaur (through Glut res)? While their jump and reach is still quite above the average, it's nowhere near what you get when fighting them.
Also I think the difficulty is fine as is - their combined HP is 160 and they can one-shoot any of your companions.

Once the game is done there will be a hardcore difficulty so you and others that complain about this can play on hardcore or switch to it when things get too easy. See what I did there?

Last edited by Azarielle; 27/10/20 07:43 AM.
addict
addict

What kinda shitty response is this? "they have strong legs" like what lol? They have strong legs in tabletop too.

Charge: If the minotaur moves at least 10 ft. straight toward a target and then hits it with a gore Attack on the same turn, the target takes an extra 9 (2d8) piercing damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 14 Strength saving throw or be pushed up to 10 ft. away and knocked prone.

Labyrinthine Recall: The minotaur can perfectly recall any path it has traveled.

Reckless: At the start of its turn, the minotaur can gain advantage on all melee weapon Attack rolls it makes during that turn, but Attack rolls against it have advantage until the start of its next turn.

Actions Greataxe: Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 17 (2d12 + 4) slashing damage.

Gore: Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 13 (2d8 + 4) piercing damage.

Don't see any jump that prones everyone around the landing area there. Don't need crappy artificial difficulty.

addict
addict
I actually love the jumping in this game. It makes taking strength as your dump stat less of a no-brainer as you're sacrificing a ton of mobility.

That said, I think the minotaurs should at least only have one jump per fight. The initial "Oh crap!" moment when you see a massive minotaur flying at you is priceless, but once you see them do it every single round to mercilessly harass Gale it loses its charm fast and just becomes frustrating, as they basically ignore attacks of opportunity and normal rules of engagement.

L
stranger
stranger
L
to be fair i raged on that fightas well, i think it was hands down for me the toughest fight in the EA, but my issue was more about the fact that it felt like they had tree times the action points...
Their leap of caster raping was pretty annoying but they have a ton of STR and that what leap scales on so it didn't shock me that much.
However what did trigger me is how the AI is so stubborned to try to finish off your guys that it almost acts as a form of cc, i think it's a bit ridiculous how much dmg you can soak by just letting a char on the floor to eat the attacks and then bring it back up again. frown

old hand
old hand
You can use this jumping to your advantage. Position a character up in that stockroom area on a ledge but back enough that they are behind something. Have someone, meatshield, ranger pet, whatever, aggro the Minotaur and draw them into range of the other. Get their attention with that character, when minotaur jumps up on ledge, use the knock back arrow or maybe shove, the fall should kill them. The Bulette also can distract them, for me, it managed to kill one and I used the ledge tactic for the other.

Originally Posted by Lexhen
to be fair i raged on that fightas well, i think it was hands down for me the toughest fight in the EA, but my issue was more about the fact that it felt like they had tree times the action points...
Their leap of caster raping was pretty annoying but they have a ton of STR and that what leap scales on so it didn't shock me that much.
However what did trigger me is how the AI is so stubborned to try to finish off your guys that it almost acts as a form of cc, i think it's a bit ridiculous how much dmg you can soak by just letting a char on the floor to eat the attacks and then bring it back up again. frown

Yeah dead people tanking is pretty hilarious actually

N
old hand
old hand
N
Did you look at their stats? They must have 20 in strength or something. I think their jump is ok, it's more like a charge anyway. And it's hilarious the first time you play, cause if you watched Swen playing this part before EA, you wouldn't except such an encounter. Larian wanted to surprise us and they succeeded.

I remember laughing when the first mino jumped on my party.

Last edited by Nyanko; 27/10/20 08:45 AM.
Z
stranger
stranger
Z
Hook horrors would like to say hello, and that Bulette as well. I was in an encounter in the area of the Underdark near the Sussur tree, one of the Hook Horrors climbed up to a branch and jumped so far my that screen had to scroll. There it was, sailing gracefully trough the air like a freaking flying squirrel. rolleyes

I can't be sure of the actual distance it jumped, but if pen and paper rules were followed, it'd have to have the strength of a Tarrasque on steroids.

Long Jump. When you make a long jump, you cover a number of feet up to your Strength score if you move at least 10 feet on foot immediately before the jump. When you make a standing long jump, you can leap only half that distance. Either way, each foot you clear on the jump costs a foot of movement.

Also, I'm not entirely sure that the game counts the distance jumped against a character's total movement. think

I think that, in combat, jump needs to be toned down.

journeyman
journeyman
This is what happens when you don't understand how the dnd rules work and try to fix what not broken. Jump must be part of movement and spend move actions, not Action, not BA.

Originally Posted by SilverSaint
The best way to tone it down is to remove it, along with every other jump in the current game with no exceptions, and make it an action.

The worst way, which just will make the jump a dash and will not fix anything.

Last edited by arion; 27/10/20 09:03 AM.
N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by arion
This is what happens when you don't understand how the dnd rules work and try to fix what not broken. Jump must be part of movement and spend move actions, not Action, not BA.

Yes, but it would make disengage even more OP than it is now. That's the problem. Unless they dissociate the two, it shouldn't happen. It should even cost a full action at this point in my opinion.

Last edited by Nyanko; 27/10/20 09:02 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Nyanko
It should even cost a full action at this point in my opinion.

Such action is already ingame its name Dash(move+extra move by action point). What is the point of two identical action be ingame?

Last edited by arion; 27/10/20 09:08 AM.
S
Banned
Banned
S
Originally Posted by Azarielle

Then how come this mechanic cannot be recreated once you're controlling the Minotaur (through Glut res)? While their jump and reach is still quite above the average, it's nowhere near what you get when fighting them.
Also I think the difficulty is fine as is - their combined HP is 160 and they can one-shoot any of your companions.

Once the game is done there will be a hardcore difficulty so you and others that complain about this can play on hardcore or switch to it when things get too easy. See what I did there?

Nope, i dont see anything there. We call that normal difficulty. You switch on easy and then Minotaurs will rofl stomp you anyway.

And obviously once you resurrect them they are zombies so they dont have their full abilities. They are less emotional, see?

"What kinda shitty response is this? "they have strong legs" like what lol? "

Its just a joke, stupid. They are mythical monsters in a fantasy game and meant to be a seemingly very difficult encounter on a start of the godamn Underdark.
Their jumping and attacks are intentionally done so the players have "Oh shiiit! What the fffff!!? We are dead!" moment.

They can be dealt with in numerous ways. Just not in the way you pathethic crying bitches play.

Last edited by Surface R; 27/10/20 10:32 AM.
addict
addict
just not in the way you pathethic crying bitches play.

Hey. tune down the language

Whether someone like the encounter or not it is still reasonable to discuss if the jump is following the 5e rules. And/or should.

you can also argue about Larians decision to let a lvl 4 party venture down into the Underdark in the first place. That area in Forgotten Realms is meant for high level characters.

Last edited by PrivateRaccoon; 27/10/20 11:09 AM.
J
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
J

They can be dealt with in numerous ways. Just not in the way you pathethic crying bitches play.

Hey there sport, never said I didn't deal with them. Said the mechanic was ridiculous and in no way similar to D&D (as multiple other people have agreed with). It's like a cheesy gag that would've been fun in Divine Divinity but doesn't really fit Baldur's Gate.

A simple look up shows minotaurs have 18 strength - same as Lae'zel had in my game at that point - but the minotaur can basically fly while Lae'zel can only glide. Both distances are too much for tabletop jumping distances (especially from standstill), but the minotaur is comically so, so much so that I was tempted to post it in bug reporting.

Cheers, I only feed a troll once. Enjoy your edge-lording.

J
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
J
Originally Posted by SaurianDruid
I actually love the jumping in this game. It makes taking strength as your dump stat less of a no-brainer as you're sacrificing a ton of mobility.

That said, I think the minotaurs should at least only have one jump per fight. The initial "Oh crap!" moment when you see a massive minotaur flying at you is priceless, but once you see them do it every single round to mercilessly harass Gale it loses its charm fast and just becomes frustrating, as they basically ignore attacks of opportunity and normal rules of engagement.

Yes, agreed - it was my understanding that because jump is normally taken from your movement distance it would provoke an attack of opportunity (and be standing long jump distance). Currently it's like they've merged tumbling into jump and removed acrobatics checks so jumping in combat becomes an "I win" button.

D
old hand
old hand
D
Seems to be an issue in general for monsters and the like. Probably because of their size in combination with their strength. And I dunno maybe they have some other hidden boost as well as I have seen some insane jumps in this game xD

Makes teleport spells look like a waste of spell slots.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard