Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
M
Originally Posted by helgerd
I've checked that approach in Solasta. What a chore! Just sit there and re-roll for better stats. Such an inspiring feature.

The title of this game is Baldur's Gate 3 - this was the feature in Baldur's Gate 1 and 2. Removing it is a disservice to the franchise - arguing that Point Buy is better is fine, and I think it should definitely be an option, but so should rolling.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by helgerd
I've checked that approach in Solasta. What a chore! Just sit there and re-roll for better stats. Such an inspiring feature.

Or use the existing buy alternative. What's the problem?

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
N
old hand
old hand
N
I don't mind stat rolling. If some players are willing to spend hours rolling to get 18 in every abilities, I don't mind. It's a single player experience after all.

If you play coop, just tell your friends you are in super saiyan mode so they don't cry when you steamroll everything XD

Last edited by Nyanko; 27/10/20 10:22 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Mxiio

The title of this game is Baldur's Gate 3 - this was the feature in Baldur's Gate 1 and 2. Removing it is a disservice to the franchise - arguing that Point Buy is better is fine, and I think it should definitely be an option, but so should rolling.

Well, there's really nothing to argue about except how people feel about both, because as I said stat rolling is already confirmed as an upcoming feature.
I personally think (and I always thought even in games of the past) that it's garbage because it just opens character creation to exploits (and/or potential unfair crippling, if you stick rigidly to the system in "honor mode" and your rolls happen to suck).
It's just poor design. No two ways around it.

Last edited by Tuco; 27/10/20 10:25 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
By the way, Baldur's Gate didn't use the roll system exactly as it was intended. You could get a number between 75 (I think..?) And I think 108 and you could distribute that number however you want. It is more forgiving, but less random, as you only had to have one good number (I would say that 85 and above is solid)

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
enthusiast
enthusiast
Hmm, I have always liked rolling.

My approach would be a random system for single player only. Even if you go in it with all 18s. If you like it, go ahead. Or in case of a distribution system get an additional die (w4/w6) to distribute while creating.
Again, only for single player. There is a certain need for balance in multiplayer. laugh

So if you decide to use an altenate creation, lock that char for online multiplyayer.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
The thing is the stats 15-14-13-12-11-10, the current in game attributes is standard D&D 5th ed rules as an ALTERNATIVE to rolling dice. This is a D&D game so regardless how "balance" is subjectively viewed in a "computer game" is irrelevant. If by following the literal first paragraph on character creation in the D&D rule book is "gamebreaking" then D&D is broken.

Just to throw some numbers about, to roll a SINGLE 18 is 1.62%. To roll six 18's is 1 in 55 billion. Nobody in the history of D&D have likely rolled perfect stats legit, in almost half a century. Besides, regardless on what attribute system and/or combination of, someone will make a mod probably before release to make 18+ stats anyway. BG isn't an MMO.

Having perfect stats isn't as "OP" as one might think anyway as most classes outside ranger and rogue have very little use for high wisdom, intellegence and charisma. What is the point of having 18 charisma on a chaoitic evil barbarian outside of saving throws? But hey lets role play and make one anyway at least you can charm the family you hack to bits and eat afterwards. In the D&D world there are such things as "stupid" mages, they are called "sorcerers".

Originally Posted by Tuco
Optional dice roll for stats is a confirmed upcoming feature, according to Swen Vincke.
I personally think it's garbage, exactly like "random roll for HP at level up", but more power to people who want to use this stuff, I guess.

Originally Posted by Maximuuus
I really hope they'll change their stupid system.
Why the hell can't I have 18 in any abilities and why am I stuck at 8......
Let me choose and let me roll.

That's... the standard 5th edition system?
Stats (pardon, "abilities") without racial modifications are capped at 15, even if you roll for them. And then they can be increased to a max of 20 over time levelling up.

I didn't know Sven said this was being introduced, thanks for that. I watched all the dev streams and don't remember it being mentioned.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Soul-Scar
In the D&D world there are such things as "stupid" mages, they are called "sorcerers".

HEY. What did we ever do to you?! It's not our fault you have to "study" magic when it comes naturally to us smile

If anything, wizards were so stupid, they had to become more like sorcs by changing their memorizing mechanic to skip number of uses per spell

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by PrivateRaccoon
In the D&D world there are such things as "stupid" mages, they are called "sorcerers".

HEY. What did we ever do to you?! It's not our fault you have to "study" magic when it comes naturally to us smile

If anything, wizards were so stupid, they had to become more like sorcs by changing their memorizing mechanic to skip number of uses per spell

Personality counts even if you can't read laugh. Just envy mate every mage wishes they could fart chain lightning and breathe fire.

addict
addict

Personality counts even if you can't read laugh. Just envy mate every mage wishes they could fart chain lightning and breathe fire.

Hell yeah it does! smile

So what if I don't understand those pen marks and circles wizards put in their ugly notebooks. I can cast a fireball that burns more, burns harder, burns longer, and I can cast one without even batting an eye. And that's something a wizard never will be able to do smile

P
apprentice
apprentice
P
It was terrible design and unbalanced, every game moved away from it for a good reason... But I still miss it and wish it was an option. Point buy is definitely more balanced, but there's something really satisfying about a character with a starting 18 and a few +3s. And really it is just the nat 18 in main stat that's really impactful in 5e. More con/dex is always useful but for the most part high stats across the board are satisfying but make little actual difference.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard