Next Thread
Print Thread
#718868 27/10/20 03:05 PM
M
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
M
On steam it took 35 minutes to pre-allocate, 8 minutes to download and now looks like it is moving the entire game on my hdd which it says is gonna take another 54 minutes. Is this normal for an update here?

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
It's pretty normal for Steam. I don't know what other factors may come into play and it's possible Larian's updates are a factor but based on personal observation, Steam's been plagued with all these problems for years. They've been complained about endlessly but never fixed (I guess the "works okay for me" brigade don't really help).

Edit: which wasn't really helpful. IME it generally updates eventually but if it really does get stuck then more advanced Steam debugging than I can provide would possibly be required.

Last edited by vometia; 27/10/20 03:19 PM.

J'aime le fromage.
M
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
M
Ok, most games are fine, its just this one lol

apprentice
apprentice
That's how Steam has been behaving for me when I patch the game (and I'll be honest, this is the first time I have experienced this behavior in my 12 years of Steam use) and unfortunately the only thing to do is let it sit there. Just walk away from it and do something else. It will "finish" eventually.

N
old hand
old hand
N
It depends on the games. I have the same issues with Total War games and this one. But others are ok.

journeyman
journeyman
This is how all games update on steam. It has to remove some things and download 4gb of stuff.

63% of all statistics are completely made up ~ Abraham Lincoln
enthusiast
enthusiast
Yeah, I'm sitting at 100% for some time now

Love and sausages xx
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I may have a different opinion once it finishes downloading, but I'm only halfway through thanks to British Telecom's superfast 10 Mbits. Yay for 1970s technology: I may be into retrocomputing but not its network speeds.

J'aime le fromage.
T
T
I don't have any issue with the actual download but the pre-allocation and updating afterwards take forever (despite a SSD and high end rig). I've not experienced this before with other Steam games. Just have to wait it out.

M
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
M
Finally Finished!

1hr 40 mins in total, with only 8 mins of that the download.

Gonna be a long journey ahead lol.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Every patch has been a mess. This time, I am stuck between 99-100%. Steam pauses the update even though I have it set to auto-update. Clicking resume just takes it back to 99% where it hangs up again. Any suggestions?

M
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
M
Is the green hard disk line moving?

It is probably moving the entire game on your disk, thats what it did to me.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
I had to uninstall another game. Each time this game has patched I've had to uninstall something else. Each time. Why is that?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by TrollishMcTroll
Every patch has been a mess. This time, I am stuck between 99-100%. Steam pauses the update even though I have it set to auto-update. Clicking resume just takes it back to 99% where it hangs up again. Any suggestions?

Do you have enough disk space? These updates seem to require that you have a whole game's worth (~85GB, this is in addition to the 85GB the game already takes up) of free space for preallocating/moving the entire game purposes.

veteran
veteran
I think the game doesn't allocate space correctly and demands more space than it actually needs

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
T
journeyman
journeyman
T
I shouldn't have to uninstall a full game every time this beast patches. I've not installed anything new since BG3's initial EA release. I've uninstalled two huge games. Elder Scrolls Online for the first big patch 2 weeks ago, and Monster Hunter World for this one. Is this game really that big?

M
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
M
It's taking 80.7 GB on my hard disk. You then have to double that for it to move each time.

It probably needs more space again if its on the same disk as windows.

veteran
veteran
I dunno ... it was 12 minutes for me. :-/
Do you keep your game actualized? Maybe it installed even previous update.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
addict
addict
Why the hell does it need to move though? Unnecessary wear and tear on my SSD moving 85 gigs every patch.

M
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
M
Perhaps when the world's scientists find a cure for Covid-19 they can plum the depths of Steam to find an answer, but I doubt if even they can make Steam seem rational.

TBH I looked for this first on GoG but they didn't have it.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard