Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
enthusiast
enthusiast
Zero hyperbole. Sorry if it offends you because you enjoy the game.

I am here to discuss a video game. Please do not try to rope me into anything other than that. Thank you.
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Argonaut
Zero hyperbole.

You assert a whole lot of things about Larian Studios that I doubt you can really prove. Just to pick out one, you say repeatedly that they are "incompetent". If they're so incompetent, their game must be a failure, no? Yet it's sold over a million copies, over a year before even being finished, and 87% of the over 21,000 reviews on Steam are positive.

I would guess that Larian set out to make a game that would sell well, and be enjoyed by the majority of their customers. They have clearly done exactly that. So how is that incompetence?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Lil'Wayne is incompetent at playing any instrument and at music theory but his music sells doesn't it?
Argument Ad Populum / Appeal to people

Last edited by Argonaut; 27/10/20 02:01 PM.

I am here to discuss a video game. Please do not try to rope me into anything other than that. Thank you.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Someone clearly having a bad day, no point arguing over subjective feels. Nothing good can come out from it. Mine is just as subjective.

Not everyone has to like this game or any other. Imagine wishing for something else and being disappointed. It's just life, the dice roll sux sometimes.
Of course the accusations are harsh, but that's up to moderators to decide if it's going too far. Even then, maybe better keeping it; shows that there are real feelings here. Hating the game can be just as strong as liking it.

Just let every color fall in place. More luck with the next game.

apprentice
apprentice
I don't feel like I've gotten my $60 worth. I guess it's better than a pre-order. I can play the game early and if I don't like it I can return the game, but in exchange I'm play testing it for Larian and giving them $60 for the privilege of doing so. Hopefully this will lead to a product I like more in the end, but I'm worried given what I've seen so far. As far as technical issues are concerned, I spent an hour or two fixing things so it'd run when I first installed it, then it worked fine for about 8 hours, and now it crashes all the time and is unplayable again.

So overall I'd say I've spent about 8 hours of my time playing the game, and 6-8 hours or more trying to fix crashes and providing feedback or reading through the forums on design choices Larian made that feel weird to me. I'm not super hopeful for the future of the game, but I guess I'll wait until the first major patch to see which direction they go in, and wait a year or two until it's done.

apprentice
apprentice
No.

I wish I had pirated the EA rather than waste my money. What I got is dishonest to fraudulent marketing. Morally bankrupt and ethically non-existent business practices. False advertising and profiteering. A complete lack of self-awareness by a developer that I can only imagine is indifference and ignorance working together to create an incompetence cocktail. The same bad decisions. The same poor design. The same surface level writing spread so thin that if whatever depth or artistry there could have been falls to the wayside. Changing source material, lore and mechanics out of nothing more than incompetence and assuming their audience are idiots. The same horribly broken and balanced turn based system that people have been complaining about since DivOS1 and have shows multiple times with video evidence needs rebalancing and serious effort. The same tropes and clichés prevalent everywhere.

I would have preferred to have thrown the money away.

Did you buy it on Steam or GOG? GOG has a new return policy on Early Access games that lets you refund them within 30 days of release, which I take to mean release of the final game, not the early access. I'm not sure on Steam's policy, but for released games it's usually pretty strict and sucks.
https://www.howtogeek.com/659506/how-to-refund-a-gog-game/

enthusiast
enthusiast
Steam, already tried.

Also to make it clear what I want is Larian to openly allow for refunds on the grounds of false advertising.

Last edited by Argonaut; 27/10/20 02:39 PM.

old hand
old hand
Steam, already tried.

Also to make it clear what I want is Larian to openly allow for refunds on the grounds of false advertising.

Just take them to small claims court on that grounds and let us know how it goes. To me it was clearly advertised. See what a judge says to you.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Oh yeah let me spend hundreds of thousands for a 60 euro refund.

Was pretty clear to me too. Baldurs Gate successor in D&D 5e except it's not a successor but a soft reboot and it's not D&D 5e in mechanics and as a cherry on top of the cake its not D&D or FR lore.

K
stranger
stranger
K
265 hrs. I would be ashamed, but quarantine. *shrug*

J
journeyman
journeyman
J

Was pretty clear to me too. Baldurs Gate successor in D&D 5e except it's not a successor but a soft reboot and it's not D&D 5e in mechanics and as a cherry on top of the cake its not D&D or FR lore.

Im not thrilled either by the mechanic changes, but I think we should give Larian the Benefit of the doubt first to give them time to make adjustments. They are still a year out from full release. If by around then they are still not adjusting mechanically then it would merit concern.

Back on Topic
But my rule of thumb personally is if i spent 100+ hrs in a game I def got my monies worth. Not quite there yet but getting close.

Last edited by Jazhara202; 27/10/20 07:04 PM.
T
addict
addict
T
Yes. Already. More than. I love this game. This is the 5e D&D game I was hoping Sword Coast Legends would be.

stranger
stranger
I am just about to crank it up for tonight and that will put me over 200 hrs. Did I get my money's worth? HELL YES

vel Offline
Over 60 hours. Definitely got my $60 worth. I do hope they listen to the feedback though. HP/Ac tweaks, throwables, containers, marathon snooze fights, etc.

Last edited by vel; 28/10/20 12:19 AM.
R
stranger
stranger
R

so if I understand your complaints from these string of posts is that you
1)Bought a game you knew wasn't what you wanted and are upset
2)Then channeled said buyers remorse at the developers and not yourself
3)Proceeded to complain about things that could change under early access while acting like they are set in stone
4)Assumed that some of your opinions are either the majority, despite it being (at least based on an educated guess) a non issue for most people, or more important.

If I have misunderstood your logic please correct me but maybe you just needed to vent rather than lash out?

On the topic of the OP I sure as hell got my moneys worth bugs and all. I'm gonna wait for things to get more polished and more classes/races to be added for a group playthrough with my friends. Can't wait for release.

Depends on how you view it.

If you view EA as a pre-order that comes with a 20-30hr demo, then it's fully worth $60. Because a pre-order with a demo is exactly what this is.

Last edited by cool-dude01; 28/10/20 12:35 PM.
E
apprentice
apprentice
E
I don't think so. I wouldn't recommend anyone to pay 60 bucks for this. I expected act 1 to be finished with only some balancing issues and minor bugs to be sorted out. Act 1 is far from being finished however and I was surprised how janky it actually is (on top of all the balancing problems ofcourse) after EA was dalayed more than once. To be fair this was my first purchase on Stadia so I got a discount, though 50 bucks is still a bit steep.

stranger
stranger
60 Euro, played a bit over 100 hours, game now my number 6 of the most played in my steam library of about 70 games...so definitly worth the investment even on early access already. And there is way more to come.

H
stranger
stranger
H
I thought all the toxic people were in Star Citizen.

T
T
Originally Posted by cool-dude01
Depends on how you view it.

If you view EA as a pre-order that comes with a 20-30hr demo, then it's fully worth $60. Because a pre-order with a demo is exactly what this is.

That's a great way to present it. Although in my case I've just passed the 100 hour mark! And have yet to play co-op with friends and expect to test out new classes when they release. Totally worth it!

I don't understand why people can get upset about an early access title . . . they literally post a giant warning on the steam page. Its not finished, its buggy, you should ONLY preorder if you want to help the developer test the game. If a game not meeting your expectations is going to upset you . . . then you should NEVER preorder a game. Wait until it releases and watch reviews/lets plays before purchasing it.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard