Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
apprentice
apprentice
Was my groups favorite part of the whole EA. Was the part that let me relax knowing Larian could write an interesting horror intrigue. If there are areas like that to explore I cannot wait to see what they do with vampires. Honestly it didnt feel out of place. It felt like a modules from Pathfinder/dnd tabletop. They sell sidequest modules for lowe level characters and that was it. Then how she gave you the most information yet about the Tadpole. That sealed the deal with me.

addict
addict
Yeah definitely pro more creepy/horror elements in and around the game, even ones that affect me or my companions to the point that you lose a companion (other simply death), as long as you till have the opportunity post Act1 to still recruit companions up 4 (cough 6) ;-)

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by charlarn
I dont hate it or anything but the overall tone and weirdness of it compared to the rest of the game is really jarring to me, it's like you're teleported into a completely different game and it takes you out of the experience.

Visually the area is really awesome and I dont think it should be removed, but in my opinion it needs to be toned down to fit with the D&D feel of the rest of the game.

BG always had crazy and out of place quests. In bg2 specifically you had the planer dome (I think that's what its called? The quest with Valigar) and you had the theatre quest that also went a little crazy.

Of course you had the big (and totally missable) fish people questline as well

Last edited by Abits; 28/10/20 11:57 AM.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
V
V
Originally Posted by Abits
Originally Posted by charlarn
I dont hate it or anything but the overall tone and weirdness of it compared to the rest of the game is really jarring to me, it's like you're teleported into a completely different game and it takes you out of the experience.

Visually the area is really awesome and I dont think it should be removed, but in my opinion it needs to be toned down to fit with the D&D feel of the rest of the game.

BG always had crazy and out of place quests. In bg2 specifically you had the planer dome (I think that's what its called? The quest with Valigar) and you had the theatre quest that also went a little crazy.

Of course you had the big (and totally missable) fish people questline as well

Those were written really well though and teleported to you literally into another world. I think they did a good job implementing these and on a basic level they were pretty standard rescue and exploration quests. Just the outer parameters have changed to make it interesting. I think the comparison to the hag is fair.
I like the hag story, it is a sidequest that is decently big, is something out from the ordinary and with a distinct visual touch to it. Well done really. You can surely improve a lot, but I would agree that it is good stuff, likely the best sidequest we have so far.
On the topic of the map, I see the appeal of condensing as much content into one map as possible, but it makes it cramped and unnatural. However all in the realm of acceptable disbelief in my book. I would have preferred more maps and a travel time between them, though.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard