Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15
vel Offline
Originally Posted by Tuco
Yeah, this update pissed me off a bit.
Not for the lack of big changes in the patch (I already said more than once that minor hotfixes are all I'm expecting on the long term) but because the official post that accompanied the patch spent most of its length throwing useless factoids at us without even PRETENDING to acknowledge (let alone address) the most recurring points of criticism.

This is spot on Tuco. Infuriating to say the least. I should have waited a year to purchase.

Originally Posted by The Composer
Originally Posted by Darth Rauko
So is Larian actually listening to feedback here?
NO

Yes.

From the mail that was sent out today:
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems.

An optimistic note to end on. "

Then they shouldn't have said that.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by UnknownEvil
Where are we actually standing? EA is a somewhat open term.
Reading through this post i start to fear that this company is like a lot of others, taking money and then just investing the minimal amount of that money and using the rest for other stuff.

Playing this it still compares a lot to an alpha build. Graphics and animation is annoying but the least of the problems this game has.

I sincerly hope this comes around. Seems very promising. laugh

The fact is. we don't know. And you will find, especially in a thread like this, much of the more negative attitude towards Larian. But only time will tell. We still have at least a year to pass by before we will see the final product.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by PrivateRaccoon
Originally Posted by UnknownEvil
Where are we actually standing? EA is a somewhat open term.
Reading through this post i start to fear that this company is like a lot of others, taking money and then just investing the minimal amount of that money and using the rest for other stuff.

Playing this it still compares a lot to an alpha build. Graphics and animation is annoying but the least of the problems this game has.

I sincerly hope this comes around. Seems very promising. laugh

The fact is. we don't know. And you will find, especially in a thread like this, much of the more negative attitude towards Larian. But only time will tell. We still have at least a year to pass by before we will see the final product.

what does it even mean? If I criticise certain things Larian does I'm negative?

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Thrythlind
I imagine there is some attention here, but I imagine most of their information is going to come from datamining on the people currently playing. Judging from the review numbers on the Steam entry, this forum represents a fraction of the current audience. Especially since I doubt the review numbers represent even a quarter of the people who have purchased. Because most people are lazy and tend not to report on stuff like this.

To be perfectly honest it feels like giving heavy weighting to this forum would be irresponsible since we are simply the vocal minority. Important to observe and take into consideration, yeah, but there's the risk that appeasing us actually overall harms the success of the game.

Especially since we are divided all over the place.

Some people love Jump and Shove others don't.
Some people love the complex environments and height advantage, others don't.
Some people think it's too much Divinity, others don't think so. (I need to actual play some divinity to have an effective opinion here.)
Some are fine or approve of the compromises with the Tabletop rules, others insist on total accuracy.

There's not much in the way of subjects that we aren't effectively split down the middle on. And it's not like we're allied on subjects at all times. Person A is fine with issue X but not Y. Person B is fine with Y and Z but not X. So, we're all going to find something we want not happening and in some cases what we don't get is a dealbreaker that's just the way it is. There isn't anything for but just that.

Even listening to us doesn't mean they'll decide what we say is something they want to do. We can complain all we want, say "dumbed down" or some other term, but it doesn't give us any more validity or authority. And if the couple hundred of us here on this forum all got to the point we didn't want to play the game...and given how all over we are, I doubt that would happen....it would still be a fraction of the total audience and would likely still be very successful.

Regardless of whether all the things I want to happen get in or not, I hope the game is successful because it will introduce new people to D&D which will introduce new people to the roleplaying hobby in one form or another. And even if that's just as players of video games or spectators of the RPG streams, it grows the community and reaches more people and more players and more GMs and more designers.

I like jump, and shove and height advantage, and surfaces, and the action economy, and I don't care about the hp bloat, or things people are claiming are too hard/easy, or about barrels, which i have never picked up, I don't think its very much like DoS 1&2, neither of which I really liked, except visually, which is fine imo. And I don't care about D&D tabletop, or some sort of magic fidelity to "the books". I am far more interested in bug fixes, stability, combat speed and hanging (which falls under bugs really), plot consistency, story quality and role-playing opportunities, all of which could do with some work from what I have experienced, but all in all its seems like a good game.

I'm just one of those people who are quietly enjoying the game as it stands.

Last edited by alice_ashpool; 27/10/20 06:27 PM.
C
journeyman
journeyman
C

Originally Posted by Argonaut
@cgexile
The EA legal caveat includes "might never be finished" my dude. Remember that the game finishing is not up to larian but WotC/Hasbro.

Sounds more like something an artist would say about their work as they strive for perfection vs actual legal verbiage. If that is the actual quoted text, the word “might” and that whole phrase is pretty vague to be legitimate legal copy.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by alice_ashpool
I imagine there is some attention here, but I imagine most of their information is going to come from datamining on the people currently playing. Judging from the review numbers on the Steam entry, this forum represents a fraction of the current audience. Especially since I doubt the review numbers represent even a quarter of the people who have purchased. Because most people are lazy and tend not to report on stuff like this.

To be perfectly honest it feels like giving heavy weighting to this forum would be irresponsible since we are simply the vocal minority. Important to observe and take into consideration, yeah, but there's the risk that appeasing us actually overall harms the success of the game.

Some people think it's too much Divinity, others don't think so. (I need to actual play some divinity to have an effective opinion here.)
Some are fine or approve of the compromises with the Tabletop rules, others insist on total accuracy.

There's not much in the way of subjects that we aren't effectively split down the middle on. And it's not like we're allied on subjects at all times. Person A is fine with issue X but not Y. Person B is fine with Y and Z but not X. So, we're all going to find something we want not happening and in some cases what we don't get is a dealbreaker that's just the way it is. There isn't anything for but just that.

Even listening to us doesn't mean they'll decide what we say is something they want to do. We can complain all we want, say "dumbed down" or some other term, but it doesn't give us any more validity or authority. And if the couple hundred of us here on this forum all got to the point we didn't want to play the game...and given how all over we are, I doubt that would happen....it would still be a fraction of the total audience and would likely still be very successful.

Regardless of whether all the things I want to happen get in or not, I hope the game is successful because it will introduce new people to D&D which will introduce new people to the roleplaying hobby in one form or another. And even if that's just as players of video games or spectators of the RPG streams, it grows the community and reaches more people and more players and more GMs and more designers.

I like jump, and shove and height advantage, and surfaces, and the action economy, and I don't care about the hp bloat, or things people are claiming are too hard/easy, or about barrels, which i have never picked up, I don't think its very much like DoS 1&2, neither of which I really liked, except visually, which is fine imo. And I don't care about D&D tabletop, or some sort of magic fidelity to "the books". I am far more interested in bug fixes, stability, combat speed and hanging (which falls under bugs really), plot consistency, story quality and role-playing opportunities, all of which could do with some work from what I have experienced, but all in all its seems like a good game.

May I guess that you're mainly here because BG3 is the next Larian's game and not the next Baldur's Gate game and/or D&D game and/or that stand in the FR ? smile
Serious question, that's not some sort of judgement.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
So what if he is?

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Abits
So what if he is?

Nothing, just thinking that maybe Larian's fans are more satisfied with the game atm than those playing BG3 for other reasons.
Of course, there is no need to generalize.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
So what if he is?

Nothing, just thinking that maybe Larian's fans are more satisfied with the game atm than those playing BG3 for other reasons.

It's true but I wonder how much of the people who bought BG3 are BG fans and how much are dos fans who don't have much knowledge of bg

stranger
stranger
I find the note on the Tieflings vs Minthara a little concerning, given that they specifically requested feedback on the evil route and all the critique on it seems to be overwhelmingly in agreement that their "Evil" route is much more akin to Chaotic Stupid than Evil or even Chaotic Asshole (which I play regularly). Would have liked to see them mention again that they've heard the feedback, since they mentioned in the stream weeks ago that they heard players found the goblin route unsatisfying and were tooling with changes.

Of course those kinds of changes are going to take time, and given I'd rather they were working on the actual game and potential rewrites than a bunch of immediate fixes to placate some loud voices on the forums, it's possible that those changes don't trickle down to EA until months from now. That's not a surprise to me in the slightest. Still wish they'd mention they were doing it.

T
stranger
stranger
T
So what if he is?

It's true but I wonder how much of the people who bought BG3 are BG fans and how much are dos fans who don't have much knowledge of bg

that would be a neat poll to take.

T
addict
addict
T

May I guess that you're mainly here because BG3 is the next Larian's game and not the next Baldur's Gate game and/or D&D game and/or that stand in the FR ? smile

Removing my original post, I can say I love Jump and Shove because they match more closely what my scenery chewing group does in any RPG we play, D&D or otherwise.

veteran
veteran

Thank you for posting. As with most feedback, people who are unhappy (or extremely ecstatic) are more likely to post. Posts from people in the middle of that spectrum (I see that this was your first post) are invaluable for gauging the true opinions of players.

If you haven't already, could you take a few minutes to fill out the survey on various mechanics https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=712680&gonew=1#UNREAD ? I'm not the survey's creator; I'm just in favor of the data collection.

Edit: @Tethtoril, the survey above is collecting data on which people are familiar with 5e rules or not. It's likely not a great representative sample, but it is something

Last edited by mrfuji3; 27/10/20 06:51 PM.
addict
addict

as i said i my post, i didnt enjoy dos or dos 2, which are the only 2 larian games ive played

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
What bothers me for real is not the fact that they’re not meeting my expectations in the early access.
For me, my main headache is: there are MAJOR topics which aren’t related to TB vs RTWP that aren’t being debated.

Wouldn’t be asking too much for them to position themselves regarding:

Evaluation of the mechanics changed from the core 5e rules
Evaluation of resting system
Evaluation of social interaction in game
Evaluation of AC/hp shifts

Are they happy with the results? Why they decided to follow that path ?
Why is it better for gaming experience? Is it settled? Can it changes through the course of the Early access?

It’s just a matter of positioning themselves.

Let’s check the next chapters

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Moirnelithe
Originally Posted by The Composer
Originally Posted by Darth Rauko
So is Larian actually listening to feedback here?
NO

Yes.

From the mail that was sent out today:
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems.

An optimistic note to end on. "

Then they shouldn't have said that.

mad mad mad

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
M
stranger
stranger
M
Originally Posted by xxAres
I find the note on the Tieflings vs Minthara a little concerning, given that they specifically requested feedback on the evil route and all the critique on it seems to be overwhelmingly in agreement that their "Evil" route is much more akin to Chaotic Stupid than Evil or even Chaotic Asshole (which I play regularly). Would have liked to see them mention again that they've heard the feedback, since they mentioned in the stream weeks ago that they heard players found the goblin route unsatisfying and were tooling with changes.

Of course those kinds of changes are going to take time, and given I'd rather they were working on the actual game and potential rewrites than a bunch of immediate fixes to placate some loud voices on the forums, it's possible that those changes don't trickle down to EA until months from now. That's not a surprise to me in the slightest. Still wish they'd mention they were doing it.

A small note would go a long way to ease concerns over whatever they put in the announcement post. I think what happened with the evil route is that Larian thought drow sex and plain murder would be enough to entice people to try it. Some of the greatest villains in literature and even games are far more methodical in how they approach their evil acts. They missed the mark, issue is how would rewriting and developing the evil route affect the rest of the story? That's what I'm also worried about. What we see here now might be indicative of the evil choices further into the game.

veteran
veteran

An optimistic note to end on. " this comment is so wrong and makes it very hard for me to come into Larian's defence.

veteran
Online Content
veteran
At some point in the future I'd also love to know if I'll be ever able to enjoy this game with a control scheme that doesn't completely blow ass.

Playing the Wrath of the Righteous alpha and then moving back to BG3 feels like suddenly becoming physically impaired, when it comes to controlling your party.
Which is impressive on its own, given that in theory I should absolutely dislike the RTWP combat of the former, but it controls so much better in every other scenario.

Last edited by Tuco; 27/10/20 06:59 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard