Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
vel Offline OP
OP Offline
Given the underwhelming latest patch (is Larian listening to any of the gameplay feedback?!?!) I posit that the best thing about Baldur's Gate 3 is actually that people have mentioned Pathfinder Kingmaker (PK) and Solasta Crown of the Magister.

I somehow played Pillars of Eternity (PoE), FF15, Octopath, Fire Emblem 3H, Witcher, DOS/2, Icewind, BG1, BG2, the list goes on. I am looking forward to Cyberpunk. Yet somehow I'd missed Pathfinder Kingmaker a couple years back and Solasta a few days ago.

I'm thankful to everyone who's mentioned PK and Solasta on the forums. They're good D&D RPGs in their own ways. I'm enjoying PK on Nvidia Geforce Now after a couple of runs through BG3 on Stadia.

Last edited by vel; 27/10/20 07:25 PM.
J
journeyman
journeyman
J
The Patch was needed in regards to fixes and performance boost for people. But I agree, acknowledgement of current mechanics issues would have been nice.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by vel
Given the underwhelming latest patch (is Larian listening to any of the gameplay feedback?!?!)

What were you expecting? It’s not been a few weeks. Larion can’t just flip a switch to implement all of the changes they plan on making. Programming and designing take time.

vel Offline OP
OP Offline
I would love nothing more than to be proven wrong about what gameplay changes are in store for BG3.

There's a separate lengthy thread about why this isn't likely to happen:
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=718905
And of course all the noise on the patch notes:
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=718798

But I mostly just wanted to note Pathfinder Kingmaker and Solasta again since others may have missed these in their RPG travels.

vel Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Warlocke
Originally Posted by vel
Given the underwhelming latest patch (is Larian listening to any of the gameplay feedback?!?!)

What were you expecting?

An acknowledgement. A single sentence indicating awareness.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Well Larian has said that they read all of the feedback, and this attentiveness is evident from the development of DOS1 and 2. If you want anything more than that you’ll need learn some patience. It’s only been three weeks.

veteran
veteran
Just to make sure, you're also aware of Owlcat's Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, right? It's not out now (currently in alpha available only to kickstarter backers I think...), but it should be out in a year's time or so (idk).

From what I've seen others post, it's pretty good so far.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Originally Posted by vel
Originally Posted by Warlocke
Originally Posted by vel

What were you expecting?

An acknowledgement. A single sentence indicating awareness.

I think you overstate your own importance in the grand scheme of making a game.

So lets simplify it, as a game creator they have loads of things on their to do list, and new ones are coming in daily from all directions. And as they impossible can do all these things at the same time (that would cost to much), they prioritize.
Have they setup a EA to have us help them find bugs, yes, do they read the forum, yes (cause that is just smart business), is there any value to mark every single thread with a 'we have read and understood' notice, no.

What happens if Larian go in and mark a thread with 'Awareness'? People expect it to be on the next patch and if not they get a hissy fit for that reason instead.
That does not mean these issues will not be handled, but it they prioritized tomorrow or in a year is something Larian decides and they are under no obligation to tell us shit.
So Larian is damned if they do and damned if they don't cause special snowflakes wants special treatment.

vel Offline OP
OP Offline
That all sounds good until you learn what happened with the EA of DOS2.

Also this b******t that any one of us posting needs attention is ridiculous. "We're weighing the gameplay feedback." in the patch notes, or a tweet, would have placated most of us.

vel Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Just to make sure, you're also aware of Owlcat's Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, right? It's not out now

Thank you!

Also let's not make this yet another thread about being patient with Larian etc. etc. I just wanted to highlight that these forums made me aware of other options! PK and Solasta particularly. It was worth engaging here for that.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Originally Posted by vel
That all sounds good until you learn what happened with the EA of DOS2.

Also this b******t that any one of us posting needs attention is ridiculous. "We're weighing the gameplay feedback." in the patch notes, or a tweet, would have placated most of us.

We know that jumping into an unfinished game in Early Access, when your saves will eventually be wiped, is a big ask. We are phenomenally grateful to each and every one of you who’ve jumped in, provided feedback, and sent error reports. These reports are channeled back to our QA leads and producers, and the information you provide helps us to understand why certain things are happening, and thus reproduce and solve them.

https://baldursgate3.game/launch-patch-1-and-interesting-insights_14

Happy to help

W
veteran
veteran
W
Sorry, but let’s be honest here: posting “the best thing about your game is it’s competitors” is some pretty passive aggressive shade. That’s not Merely an innocent, well-intentioned public service announcement. 😂

T
addict
addict
T
Haven't tried Solasta much yet, just looked at the char gen menu. Kingmaker I may try again, but I'm preferring Baldur's Gate 3 so far. Though I will admit, the kingdom building aspects of that game are fun to play with.

Last edited by Thrythlind; 27/10/20 08:11 PM.
S
Banned
Banned
S
SPOILER

Valerie is a gold-digging slut who spreads her leg for every random mercenary and loves being bred by her after-game peasant husband, but plays hard to get with the baron for years and categorically refuses to have children with him. She also ends the relationship if you say a single wrong word.

vel Offline OP
OP Offline
Angra, that didn't acknowledge the gameplay feedback that's repeatedly arising in these forums. And of course I read that and every other official note.

Yes every game is flawed. Yes of course my sensational post title is a bit of shade. I'm not innocent. But we're all just squabbling amongst ourselves absent a feedback loop.

I actually enjoyed the 60+ hours that I dumped into BG3 over 2 playthroughs and thought it was well worth $60. The 160 hours I dumped in DOS2 for $60 was amazingly good value thanks to Larian, despite the botched last act. We don't have to be in blind deference though because of that.

I'm quite thankful that others have mentioned other games based on D&D rulesets. I bought those too!

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Stahlhengst
SPOILER

Valerie is a gold-digging slut who spreads her leg for every random mercenary and loves being bred by her after-game peasant husband, but plays hard to get with the baron for years and categorically refuses to have children with him. She also ends the relationship if you say a single wrong word.

Right, let's be mature on these forums please.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by vel

Yes every game is flawed. Yes of course my sensational post title is a bit of shade. I'm not innocent. But we're all just squabbling amongst ourselves absent a feedback loop.

Props for honesty. I get what you’re saying, but I don’t think an acknowledgment would do much to actually diminish that. Squabbling will happen here inevitably. 😂

I don’t see much of the squabbling because I tend to avoid those topics. As we don’t know how much the game will change over the next year, spending any significant amount of time debating mechanics seems like a good wasted effort to me. I definitely want, for example, proper reactions, but I’m not going to enter those debates because I’m pretty sure that Larion are well aware of the discussion whether they give a formal announcement of such or not.

Last edited by Warlocke; 27/10/20 09:03 PM.
vel Offline OP
OP Offline
Warlocke good points.

T
T
Given the scope of BG3 and the large number of initial sales. I would expect Larian to have received 10's of thousands of bug reports. Its a truly monumental job collating them, weeding out false reports, prioritizing, and then fixing things.

I suspect their main early focus is on game breaking stuff (crashes) and building out cinematics (which take a lot of time . . . and is a whole different team of employees).

Play balance and rule changes will come over time . . . although given everyone has different ideas about how things should be . . . well we aren't all going to get what we want.

So far in just 3 weeks we have had two major updates, both with nice communication pieces. That is more than enough for me.

T
addict
addict
T
The only subject I've been especially annoyed and vocal on is the Kahga/Arabelle covnersation because it just feels so badly designed while having so much potential to have been done better.

But realistically, I know they're unlikely to do much with it because arranging things like more voice-acting seems unlikely at this stage. Unless that conversation is currently only partially implemented and there's a lot more conversation there already recorded, it feels unlikely to be changed.

Other than that, most of what I have been suggesting I firmly expect the game is too late in development for them to be possible to implement and remain practical. But I suggest anyway just in case.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard