Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15
D
D
I think we just have to wait for an update on gameplay mechanics and see what kind of direction they are taking. Right now, they have not responded to these burning topics. But, as an extreme example, if they were to give us an update where shove and jump get buffed, literally the opposite of what everyone wants, then we would know they really don't care. Or if we don't get any response to the hot topics before Christmas, it's gonna look really bad. But for now, although I wish they commented on it, they have not yet brought up the topics. At this point we can criticize them for not communicating that well, but not for ignoring feedback, I would say.

F
journeyman
journeyman
F
Really reading quite heavily into a quick info post up. They released a patch and threw up some stats of gameplay, I've seen that done with HoI4s, Swtor, FO76 and others, doesn't mean much other than the fact that they're recording various stats. It's not like a lead came out and said 75% sided with the teiflings so obviously we will only be focusing on the good path.

As for if they're reading feedback I'd be surprised if they aren't, I mean they did ask for feedback and this is their main forum. Now they may not be reading screeching posts or hyperbolic posts but who knows. As for acknowledging it, maybe they'll post about it or maybe it'll just show in future patches, I mean some of the major complaints ie. the "evil" path or combat complaints aren't things that could be immediately addressed anyways. Reality is even if they responded you're just getting responses from community managers or some other PR speak person so it's meaningless other than you get to feel good about being acknowledged.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by denhonator
Clearly the neat stats they've shown us so far are just fun facts they want to present to humor us. Like who players are romancing or how many times the dog has been pet. Doesn't make me think "they're using this data to conclude that Shadowheart needs to be more attractive". Similarly, I wouldn't think anything of the good vs evil route.

I agree that these stats are meant to be "fun facts to humor us." The problem lies that for the past two weeks, we haven't heard anything from Larian. Meanwhile, we've had a lot of good (and bad) discussion on these forums about things that mean a lot to us. Narrative, combat, gameplay things that we feel are fantastic or terrible for the game. And after 2 weeks of silence, Larian puts out an update that mentions almost none of these things. Not even a line saying "we are currently still reading through feedback."

Speaking of good boys, last update we discussed how Gale was ultimately attacked quite a lot. Check out last week’s update for the stats on that. Somewhat contradicturally, he’s the most “romanced” of the party.

This line stood out to me much more than the "75-25% stood with tieflings" line. They bring up the fact that Gale dies a lot, which they acknowledged in the previous update. This has been the subject of many forum discussions: how enemies focus on the lowest-AC character, how enemies attack downed party members, the lack of the spell "Shield" in the game, etc. And Larian just glosses over all that feedback, all those hours we have put in, to tell us "Gale has been romanced the most!!!"

Either they are aware of these issues we have discussed, in which case the humor-only-update reads as condescension. Or they are unaware of our complaints/praises, in which case what is the point of anything we're doing here?

tl;dr: Larian might be working on all of our feedback. They might be making decisions on whether AI should attacked downed enemies based on our suggestions. But we don't know. And it is frustrating to see a patch/Community Update (that we've been eagerly waiting for) with little acknowledgement of our feedback.

Last edited by mrfuji3; 27/10/20 08:44 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Abits
Originally Posted by PrivateRaccoon
Originally Posted by UnknownEvil
Where are we actually standing? EA is a somewhat open term.
Reading through this post i start to fear that this company is like a lot of others, taking money and then just investing the minimal amount of that money and using the rest for other stuff.

Playing this it still compares a lot to an alpha build. Graphics and animation is annoying but the least of the problems this game has.

I sincerly hope this comes around. Seems very promising. laugh

The fact is. we don't know. And you will find, especially in a thread like this, much of the more negative attitude towards Larian. But only time will tell. We still have at least a year to pass by before we will see the final product.

what does it even mean? If I criticise certain things Larian does I'm negative?

I'm sorry, that was my answer to UnknownEvil that, what I take from what he wrote, seemed to have lost a bit of hope. And, taken the thread title, plus people's disappointment, mine included, with the latest community update, into account(?) you ofc will meet a lot of harsh critique and negative emotions right now. justified or not. It was just a reminder for him/her to not condemn the company when there's still so much time left for them to improve. I never meant to offend anyone in this thread. Clearly I manage to do that enough in my own threads smile

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
I’d say that was the worst scenario possible that was expecting in their community update. From what it seems they’re trying to increase the replayability of the early access instead of moving forward.

It’s okay working on the bugs for those who are still hyped by EA
It’s“ nice to have” bringing that data related to the gameplay decisions
It’s vital to know where the company is heading now. I wasn’t expecting a damn deadline. I simply do not care about it at all. I just want to know how they’ll handle that major topics and what’s their vision of the future for the game.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Sludge Khalid
I’d say that was the worst scenario possible that was expecting in their community update. From what it seems they’re trying to increase the replayability of the early access instead of moving forward.

I mean not really? They are polishing graphics and tweaking performance but this update seems to just be the in-dev stuff from pre-EA. There is nothing in it that incentivises me to invest another 70 hours into EA right now.

Tuco
I would like to try Wrath of the Righteous.
After playing BG3 EA, I would like it more and more...
I feel like I put my dibs on the wrong horse

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Vhaldez
I’d say that was the worst scenario possible that was expected in their community update. From what it seems they’re trying to increase the replayability of the early access instead of moving forward.

I mean not really? They are polishing graphics and tweaking performance but this update seems to just be the in-dev stuff from pre-EA. There is nothing in it that incentivizes me to invest another 70 hours into EA right now.

I mean EA is their main way of getting data and feedback about how people play the game and want to play it ( data AND feedback in this particular order it seems).
So it seems only natural they want to increase the replayability.

Sven said in an interview just after EA release they won't be making any public roadmap or public announcement as to what they are working on or what they will be working on. Mostly because everything is subject to change and they want to have the freedom to remove something from the game without deceiving expectations. So I'm afraid you can straight up forget about Larian making a public announcement like " Yeah, we are considering increased party size". One day it will happen or it won't, there won't be any middle ground or public statement regarding their point of view on this.

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
W
stranger
stranger
W
Originally Posted by Zefhyr
Tuco

WotR definitely plays much more like BG1&2 from a computer game standpoint. BG3 at this point is (was?) Trying to be an actual true to D&D tabletop game, not a BG game. But they said as much way before EA.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by WinterbornGuard
Tuco

WotR definitely plays much more like BG1&2 from a computer game standpoint. BG3 at this point is (was?) Trying to be an actual true to D&D tabletop game, not a BG game. But they said as much way before EA.

Except about TB, not sure BG3 is really closer to D&D than BG1/2 were...

Last edited by Maximuuus; 27/10/20 09:38 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by WinterbornGuard
Tuco

I'm an early backer of P:WotR, but don't have the time to be a tester. So I haven't yet been able to play the game. So looking forward to it though.

addict
addict
Come on guys... Larian have given themselves upwards of a year to fix stuff and you’re crying that after two weeks the patches only fix minor bugs and cinematics? Come’s across as a little entitled.

journeyman
journeyman
This.

I had a good feeling when the mod pinned the suggestions and feedback thread. Then a bad one when they changed its root forum.

But this update really lacked substance.

I still have hope they are discussing some of the most concerning points and will at least give us some feedback.

This is not divinity.

BG3 was far more expensive, they started ea to throw ideas and get feedback. Having that in mind I jumped to the foruns and have been trying my best to be fair.

I don't think everything that's suggested should be done. But at least don't ignore us.

So Larian.

Do listen to the feedback you wanted, don't let these people who trusted, some who still do (I have hope) down.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by virion
Originally Posted by Vhaldez
I’d say that was the worst scenario possible that was expected in their community update. From what it seems they’re trying to increase the replayability of the early access instead of moving forward.

I mean not really? They are polishing graphics and tweaking performance but this update seems to just be the in-dev stuff from pre-EA. There is nothing in it that incentivizes me to invest another 70 hours into EA right now.

I mean EA is their main way of getting data and feedback about how people play the game and want to play it ( data AND feedback in this particular order it seems).
So it seems only natural they want to increase the replayability.

Sven said in an interview just after EA release they won't be making any public roadmap or public announcement as to what they are working on or what they will be working on. Mostly because everything is subject to change and they want to have the freedom to remove something from the game without deceiving expectations. So I'm afraid you can straight up forget about Larian making a public announcement like " Yeah, we are considering increased party size". One day it will happen or it won't, there won't be any middle ground or public statement regarding their point of view on this.

Ouch. I’m afraid of that freedom. After all balance was never their strength to begin with.

Also, from the client perspective it couldn’t be worse. Imagine they marketing a car and receiving a bike instead. Our main intention is not to put our fingers in their campaign, still we want to know if in the end that campaign we’ve backed will be BG3 or king of the hill medieval simulator.

T
stranger
stranger
T
At this point im thinking cut my losses, expect nothing and wait for path of righteousness which i didnt even know existed until this thread, so thank you for that!

addict
addict
Reality checks for commentators :

a) Changes to the rules and design of the game can take longer than one week or two. These decisions require thought and a lot of discussions within the Larian team.

b) Beyond the fluffy funny introduction to the update, this update focuses mostly on crashes and bug fixing, and new passes on the cut-scenes (which they will do every EA update really).
Which is understandable.
Also see point A.

I am *not* saying the core systems are good at the moment --for example the party/character movement out of combat is annoying as hell and I suffered it for over 100 hours in DOS1 already-- but changes to the design, rules and engine will take more than a few weeks.

Last edited by Baraz; 27/10/20 10:27 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tethtoril
At this point im thinking cut my losses, expect nothing and wait for path of righteousness which i didnt even know existed until this thread, so thank you for that!

It's Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous.
Just in case you want an actual chance to track it down.

Last edited by Tuco; 27/10/20 10:28 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
journeyman
journeyman
Fixing crashing and cinematics in EA first makes sense. What doesn't make sense is changing the AI (Gael) before making some decisions that affect game balance- if they decide to make changes.

Honestly, I think there is a chance that they limit barrelmancy, change shove to an action, perhaps adjust reactions- but I doubt they will ever make it Solasta like. Many more people than just 5e devotees will play this game. I think many of you need to adjust your expectations.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Riandor
Come on guys... Larian have given themselves upwards of a year to fix stuff and you’re crying that after two weeks the patches only fix minor bugs and cinematics? Come’s across as a little entitled.

Well, this makes any attempt to have a discussion a bit pointless, because what you are doing here is beating a strawman, not addressing the real point.
No one is complaining the current patch is not fixing everything and satisfying all our desires, the disappointment comes from the written update absolutely refusing to acknowledge any of the major points of criticism so far.
It's not even that I was expecting a "P.S. Tuco, we totally noticed all your bitching about the awful controls and we are fixing everything by tomorrow. You're the hero of our design team. Sleep well, mate!", but I was hoping for something like a vague handwave in our direction, even if sugarcoated like "We also received a lot of valuable feedback about rule implementation, controls, reactivity, Ui and we are working to address it".
But nah, here's some trivia about what demographic likes to bang who.

And just for the record, for anyone willing to smugly wave around the good old "You forum dwellers are a niche, everyone else likes it", two corrections:
1) I like it too, which doesn't mean I can't find flaws in it.
2) If you people take your time to check video reactions and stuff, you'll see that while the general reception tends to be good, even a lot of more "casual" users are spotting the rough sides on this current version of the game. For instance you don't have to be a 5th Edition purist to realize that hopping around is the most efficient strategy and that it looks stupid as hell.

Last edited by Tuco; 27/10/20 10:42 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Tuco
Originally Posted by Riandor

Well, this makes any attempt to have a discussion a bit pointless, because what you are doing here is beating a strawman, not addressing the real point.
No one is complaining the current patch is not fixing everything and satisfying all our desires, the disappointment comes from the written update absolutely refusing to acknowledge any of the major points of criticism so far.
It's not even that I was expecting a "P.S. Tuco, we totally noticed all your bitching about the awful controls and we are fixing everything by tomorrow. You're the hero of our design team. Sleep well, mate!", but I was hoping for something like a vague handwave in our direction, even if sugarcoated like "We also received a lot of valuable feedback about rule implementation, controls, reactivity, Ui and we are working to address it".
But nah, here's some trivia about what demographic likes to bang who.

And just for the record, for anyone willing to smugly wave around the good old "You forum dwellers are a niche, everyone else likes it", two corrections:
1) I like it too, which doesn't mean I can't find flaws in it.
2) If you people take your time to check video reactions and stuff, you'll see that while the general reception tends to be good, even a lot of more "casual" users are spotting the rough sides on this current version of the game. For instance you don't have to be a 5th Edition purist to realize that hopping around is the most efficient strategy and that it looks stupid as hell.

+1

Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard