Originally Posted by DarkRob316
What happens if you get caught?

you reload from last saved game? smile

Ohh. Save scumming. That's dirty. I like it lol

*laughs in too heavy to walk bc I played around with Cheat Engine*
https://media.discordapp.net/attach...28/unknown.png?width=1512&height=851

addict
addict
One of the things I hated the most in DoS was not being able to rob merchants all the time.
I always play morally gray Rogues, so getting rich and obtaining op gear early is something that I love to do in these games. So please, do not change stealing mechanics.

For people that don't like it, just don't roll a rogue, or don't get proficiency with sleight of hand.

Originally Posted by Danielbda
One of the things I hated the most in DoS was not being able to rob merchants all the time.
I always play morally gray Rogues, so getting rich and obtaining op gear early is something that I love to do in these games. So please, do not change stealing mechanics.

For people that don't like it, just don't roll a rogue, or don't get proficiency with sleight of hand.

Knowing stealing is this simple is a big downer to me just like knowing a way to one shot kill everything I came across would be. It's easy to say "don't do it then" but then you just feel like a chump doing everything the hard way. You can't un-know stuff like this.

PS: Stealing from people to line your own pockets is not morally gray my dude. That's pretty deep into the black end of the pool. smile

Last edited by Osprey39; 27/10/20 10:50 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Osprey39
Originally Posted by Danielbda

Knowing stealing is this simple is a big downer to me just like knowing a way to one shot kill everything I came across would be. It's easy to say "don't do it then" but then you just feel like a chump doing everything the hard way. You can't un-know stuff like this.

PS: Stealing from people to line your own pockets is not morally gray my dude. That's pretty deep into the black end of the pool. smile

To consistently rob you got to get proficiency in sleight of hand, so there's an investment. In PoE you can only steal certain items with a minimum score in SoH, so maybe Larian can do that.

Also, my characters rob merchants dry but normally go for the "good" quest outcomes, killing the villain and saving the people. So there's some gray color there.

Last edited by Danielbda; 27/10/20 10:57 PM.

I disagree, it's very situational and not black and white like that. At least in a well-designed story framework.

For example, playing through the Witcher 3 game, I grabbed every bit of loot I could steal from peasants' hovels, because I was on a mission to find Ciri and stop whatever world-altering plans the Wild Hunt had for her. I needed that stuff to eat or sell and gear up for the Apocalypse. The peasants don't matter as much as saving the world.

That's the usual hand-wave CRPG's use to justify making theft from those in need serve a higher purpose. If the Black Sun arrives and kills the world with ice, those peasants are dead anyway.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Frumpkis

I disagree, it's very situational and not black and white like that. At least in a well-designed story framework.

For example, playing through the Witcher 3 game, I grabbed every bit of loot I could steal from peasants' hovels, because I was on a mission to find Ciri and stop whatever world-altering plans the Wild Hunt had for her. I needed that stuff to eat or sell and gear up for the Apocalypse. The peasants don't matter as much as saving the world.

That's the usual hand-wave CRPG's use to justify making theft from those in need serve a higher purpose. If the Black Sun arrives and kills the world with ice, those peasants are dead anyway.

Same thing when stealing from the goblins. SOOO what, little greedy turds.

Originally Posted by Frumpkis

My friend, did you even read my text that you quoted? Specifically the "line your own pockets" part? If you're stealing simply to enrich yourself, that is not the action of a good or even neutral character. That is also not what you are describing. You had a higher purpose behind your larceny (allegedly, I haven't played that game so I will take your word for it.)

@Mezbarrena: I agree and I tend to shade towards neutral pragmatism. Goblins probably stole it from someone else so while I think a good character might have some compunction just because they may feel stealing from anyone, even goblins, is wrong, a neutral probably would not.

@Danielbda: I get you now. You're a lowlife thief with a heart of gold smile (Joking, please don't take offense smile )

Last edited by Osprey39; 28/10/20 01:13 AM.
S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Milani
Robbing every merchant blind is basically my ultimate goal, because they also recharge. So you can continually rob them blind.

I dislike how Larian tends to make stealing the ULTIMATE skill - to impossibly rob everyone blind to get the best loot. More fantastical than magic itself, more rewarding than fighting an ancient dragon without a fraction of the risk or effort. For me this is an exploitable anti-roleplaying loot pinata system when I feel like it should be roleplayed more as a moral question.

It would be cool if Larian implemented a hidden crime system where suspicion of theft would affect chance to steal in the future and penalize social interactions with non-evil/chaotic aligned people to make it more balanced and realistic. Stolen goods that is worn/used should have a chance to be recognized as such (based upon rarity) and ie. spawn the Flaming Fist soldiers yelling "I AM THE LAW!" as they arrest or attack you.

Last edited by Seraphael; 28/10/20 07:42 AM.
Originally Posted by Seraphael
Originally Posted by Milani
Robbing every merchant blind is basically my ultimate goal, because they also recharge. So you can continually rob them blind.

I dislike how Larian tends to make stealing the ULTIMATE skill - to impossibly rob everyone blind to get the best loot. More fantastical than magic itself, more rewarding than fighting an ancient dragon without a fraction of the risk or effort. For me this is an exploitable anti-roleplaying loot pinata system when I feel like it should be roleplayed more as a moral question.

You said it more eloquently than I did but what you said sums it up nicely for me. What's the point of the rest of the game if everything you want can be obtained through thievery? And again, I realize one could choose not to steal everything but knowing you can still cheapens the experience of the game.

That said, I want to be fair here and say that stealing is not the only problem with the game's economy. I am sitting on almost 6k of gold I have accrued by more conventional methods and I've pretty much bought everything I could want out of the vendors' inventories. There's just not enough things worth buying that I have found so far so you end up piling up gold one way or another.

addict
addict
I think economy balance will come overtime/ after full release anyways but yeah currently there's way too much gold and not enough things to spend it on. Like in every game that ever existed, to be honest ^^.

Thinking of it I have no idea how any game could solve that problem without becoming the most hardcore game for try hards. Can you imagine this moment when you go out of your house and see this gigantic building with 50 floors, security guards in front of it, and only few well-guarded entrances? If you go on the top there must be something there, right?! But no. You get on the roof after a lot of struggle, there's nothing there apart from pigeons and the police is after you for intrusion on Empire States Building rooftop so you're basically fucked by now. And you can't quickload.

And you only wanted to find a barrel with gold on top of it.

Finding gold and items is the biggest incentive for exploring every part of the map. So you have to keep it, it's the most straightforward reward. But what should you be spending your money on? More rewards? How do you balance such a rich gentleman?

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
Rogue stealing in D&D does have high risk/high reward factors, however, I think if you get caught (and it should be easier to get caught, honestly), then the entire village/town/sector of city, should be aggro'd towards you. One of those things where you have to hide and sneak your way out of the city and lay low for a like 1 in game day. Boring for you, just sitting outside doing nothing? Then don't steal!!! :P

Me personally, I don't pick-pocket unless I absolutely have to. Would rather earn my progress and loot.

Originally Posted by Vortex138
Me personally, I don't pick-pocket unless I absolutely have to. Would rather earn my progress and loot.

In the current EA, merchants are rare, they take extra steps to reach from a waypoint, and there is a ton of trash gear in crates and barrels that can fill up your inventory quickly.

It's made worse by a clumsy inventory system where gear has to be manually moved between party members to balance weight because there is no shared inventory screen. Pickpocketing the merchants' endless supply of gold means I don't have to pick up every low-level sword, bow, and piece of armor dropped to sell for cash. I can focus on just the valuables like scrolls, potions, and gems.

I would play it "straight" and earn my progress and loot, if the game didn't have so much junk loot and such a clumsy inventory system.

veteran
veteran
After the EA in DoS2 they made pickpocket only work once per target for this exact reason. I assume that would be the case in BG3.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by _Vic_
After the EA in DoS2 they made pickpocket only work once per target for this exact reason. I assume that would be the case in BG3.

Though you can still do the old DOS trick of distraction burglary, i.e. get some of your team to get the suspicious NPCs to look the other way while the stealthy one nicks their groovy stuff.

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran
Yeah, in MP you end up having all party training in pickpocket so you can do it four times against every merchant instead of one XD

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard