Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I love spending time to create a unique character, the creator tool is really fun and I spend a lot of time with it.

However the thing I really hope to see is a detailed editor for the characters face (or even for body built). Where user can adjust eye size or nose bridge height and lips fullness, lots of game is doing that which makes the character truly unique.

With the current character creator I found I’m always using the few faces that I like, adding a customizable adjustment feature would totally encourage me to use more face templates and build from them.

Example below from Guild Wars 2’s character creator.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Zhenvision; 27/10/20 10:59 PM. Reason: Added image
V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
On some of the heads i find the eyes to be at odd positions. Like either they're too high or too low in relation to mouth and the top of the head. Or the eyes are too small?

Oh, and I want different hairstyles like "flatter" short hair for lack of a better word.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Veilburner
On some of the heads i find the eyes to be at odd positions. Like either they're too high or too low in relation to mouth and the top of the head. Or the eyes are too small?

Oh, and I want different hairstyles like "flatter" short hair for lack of a better word.

Yeah, if we got a slider face feature adjustment option, everyone can get their most ideal look for their character, it can be an optional box where some player can just skip, but for the ones that passionate about the look of their character it will feel so good smile

stranger
stranger

first of all i sgree with everything, butits just funny hpw the first line is ''i like to builld unique characters''

then show generic rugged white male character hahahahaha

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Lucketmi

first of all i sgree with everything, butits just funny hpw the first line is ''i like to builld unique characters''

then show generic rugged white male character hahahahaha

Lol yeah... but we are not talking about diversity here hahah, that’s just an expample from Guild wars 2’s character builder I found from Google ;pp

Yeah sliders would be nice. I am only wondering whether lack of them is connected to animations.
Also sliders might make the faces really weird. Right now the faces are scans of real people with edits, so they are proportionate and look incredibly realistic in the game. Sliders would probably destroy all that meticulous work. It would still be nice to have them though for people that prefer to edit their character faces.

Last edited by Arideya; 27/10/20 06:15 PM.

"There are three things that are strength incarnate: there is love of life, there is fear of death, and there is family. A family that loves death would have a strong pull indeed." - Tamoko
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Arideya
Yeah sliders would be nice. I am only wondering whether lack of them is connected to animations.
Also sliders might make the faces really weird. Right now the faces are scans of real people with edits, so they are proportionate and look incredibly realistic in the game. Sliders would probably destroy all that meticulous work. It would still be nice to have them though for people that prefer to edit their character faces.

Good point! Though I think if the studio make sure those slider adjustment are in a reasonable ranged (natural mouth size etc) it shouldn’t break the animations, wondering if there’s exist examples of RPG games that has done it successfully?

Last edited by Zhenvision; 27/10/20 07:58 PM.
T
T
Originally Posted by Arideya

Yes, I agree. I suspect sliders won't work well with their system. But I expect them to add additional faces. Mods have shown that its easily done and there are a lot more faces currently being used in the game.

addict
addict
I'm ok with no sliders, but I strongly dislike preset faces. It was understandable in Morrowind, but this is a game that seems ambitious about both visuals and character customization. At least let us mix and match facial features (eyes, noses, what have you). Making a character with a preset face feels like dressing up an actor rather than making a unique character that is truly "ours".

Originally Posted by Zhenvision

...wondering if there’s exist examples of RPG games that has done it successfully?

All I can think of are Bioware games, but there the definition of success is very subjective. Andromeda pretty much has preset faces that allow for a bit of customization, but we know what happened to their animations. Dragon Age Inquisition is way better in this regard, but even there you see weird stuff happen in cutscenes - character not aligning with NPCs in kiss scenes for example, and I know they've spent a lot of resources on animations to account for different races.

Originally Posted by trengilly

Yes, I agree. I suspect sliders won't work well with their system. But I expect them to add additional faces. Mods have shown that its easily done and there are a lot more faces currently being used in the game.

Yesss the more faces the better! I've been tinkering with textures and even simply changing the one head's face texture to another head's makes a world of difference.

Last edited by Arideya; 27/10/20 08:55 PM.

"There are three things that are strength incarnate: there is love of life, there is fear of death, and there is family. A family that loves death would have a strong pull indeed." - Tamoko
S
veteran
veteran
S
ive said it before.
Sliders should be there, the faces are already beeing gneerated by morphing the meshes generated by face scanning.
Obviously implementing sliders is goign to be some work on top of that, but i think the question is one about intent and not about beeing doable or not.

I think i understand the intent of the developers, but as ive said before, it doesnt work.
People gravitate to one or two faces every time. Because those are the attractive ones. Larian obviously tried to do something with their character generation and while the characters end up looking pretty good, actual variation comes from colours and tatoos and stuff, never from the faces, and that realy shouldnt be how it is.

Add sliders.

addict
addict
Just don't make the presets shit like in most games.

I dont want to sculpt faces. Sliders like unmodded Skyrim are fine. Sliders like DA:I or Oblivion piss me off. The default is boring and the preset faces suck.

I'm quite happy with what we have, just add more heads.

T
T
Originally Posted by Sordak
People gravitate to one or two faces every time. Because those are the attractive ones.
Add sliders.

We really have no idea if that is true or not. I'm sure Larian has the statistics of how often each face is used . . . and if some are never used they will replace them.
I've played with 9 or 10 different characters and used different faces for all of them . . . including some of the 'less attractive' ones.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Sordak
ive said it before.
Sliders should be there, the faces are already beeing gneerated by morphing the meshes generated by face scanning.
Obviously implementing sliders is goign to be some work on top of that, but i think the question is one about intent and not about beeing doable or not.

I think i understand the intent of the developers, but as ive said before, it doesnt work.
People gravitate to one or two faces every time. Because those are the attractive ones. Larian obviously tried to do something with their character generation and while the characters end up looking pretty good, actual variation comes from colours and tatoos and stuff, never from the faces, and that realy shouldnt be how it is.

Add sliders.

Totally agree, I try to build a few different characters and found myself always end up picking the one or two faces

stranger
stranger
Oh, no-no-no! No sliders. Nope. Never in my life have I seen custom faces that fit default animations. At the best they are funny, at the worst they creep you out every time pc speak. Several well-polished presets are much better.
Some minor customisation like change completion or lip colour would be great though.

Last edited by Yaguarondi; 28/10/20 03:38 PM.
S
veteran
veteran
S
its not like the current custom characters are awfully expressive right now...

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard