Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Baraz Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
*no actual spoilers - remaining very vague*

Some positive feedback helps once in a while, so here is my sincere one from recent exploration ...

I was impressed by both the design and visual style of the floor puzzle in the Selune Temple (some players might not call it that, but the more vague, the better). The design also has a nice conceptual feel in-line with the religious concept.

I am really not a puzzle master, but I figured out the goal after playing around with it a few minutes (I lost track of time actually).

Luckily, I am the kind of player who searches *everything* before moving on, so I had found the clue. It felt good to succeed the puzzle without cheating. Without the clue, I really doubt I would ever have found the solution. I know this is not a real issue as there is at least one other way down and players can Google it at worst.

Anyhow, congrats to those who designed and implemented it into the game.

Ps : the passage after is pretty cool also, not to mention the visuals under ...

Last edited by Baraz; 27/10/20 06:21 PM.
old hand
old hand
Also, if you walk past it, on the right side of the wall is a lever that you can lockpick and bypass the puzzle haha. I did like the puzzle, I want more of that stuff for sure!

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
Baraz Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Orbax
Also, if you walk past it, [censored] and bypass the puzzle haha. I did like the puzzle, I want more of that stuff for sure!

What ?! sigh I prefer the puzzle !

Last edited by Baraz; 27/10/20 07:16 PM.
veteran
veteran
It is a cool puzzle. The more the merrier

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
apprentice
apprentice
I loved this puzzle (one of my favorite parts of BG3 so far). I would definitely like to see more of these. The bypass lever makes sense to an extent as being a DM I've seen "obvious" puzzles bring an adventure to a screeching halt for hours while people try to figure them out without continuous hints. Story wise it doesn't make sense as this door was meant to block passage to the Underdark's monstrosities...I guess unless you are an average rogue.

Baraz Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
I just realized that the other bit of info is a spoiler in my opinion, in a thread where I claimed there would be no spoilers :P

Anyhow, I feel they should remove the puzzle bypass, as players can also use the alternate path down from another area outside the temple.

Last edited by Baraz; 27/10/20 10:17 PM.
Puzzle is incredibly well-implemented!

apprentice
apprentice
I also loved the puzzle and figuring it out

Tuuch! Tuuch! Tuuch!
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Baraz
I just realized that the other bit of info is a spoiler in my opinion, in a thread where I claimed there would be no spoilers :P

Anyhow, I feel they should remove the puzzle bypass, as players can also use the alternate path down from another area outside the temple.

yeah when I found it, it really cheapened the puzzle. It needs to be about 4 times the size though and cover the entire chapel floor in that area. Make it grander.

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
enthusiast
enthusiast
Honestly, I felt like it was way too easy and obvious.
The moment I walked into the room I knew the solution lol.

I like it visually and the religious reference etc, from that pov I think it's great.
But I really think that difficulty wise they could step it up a little because if someone just can't do it they can just google it.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Svalr
they can just google it.

Well...thats most things. I don't know if I want a puzzle that no search in Google could possibly reveal the answer to haha

journeyman
journeyman
I love it. Was the most fun misc activity I've had in the game.

veteran
veteran
I don't think good game design involves forcing a player out of the game to look up stuff online. Destiny got a lot of flak for that.

Not all puzzles needs to be very complex, and complexity varies in difficulty depending on the player, but it's also one of the earlier puzzles in what will be a multiple-act game. After all, it's still loosely speaking "the beginning of the game".

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Orbax
they can just google it.

Well...thats most things. I don't know if I want a puzzle that no search in Google could possibly reveal the answer to haha

I didn't say that tho I said the opposite.
They shouldn't be scared of difficult puzzles because if someone doesn't like it and it's too hard they can either google it or use stuff like the lever to bypass it.
But from the pov of someone who likes puzzles it didn't feel like a puzzle to me because I just walked into the room and knew the solution just by looking at it.

Originally Posted by The Composer
I don't think good game design involves forcing a player out of the game to look up stuff online. Destiny got a lot of flak for that.

Not all puzzles needs to be very complex, and complexity varies in difficulty depending on the player, but it's also one of the earlier puzzles in what will be a multiple-act game. After all, it's still loosely speaking "the beginning of the game".

Yeah all I am saying is that they don't have to always be made to be easy either I am not saying that all of them need to be super hard.
You're right about it being early in the game tho, I just think that it's kind of a trend in games that puzzles are usually made to be on the easy side so that '' no one can fail ''.
I just hope that they add more difficult puzzles later, because on the other hand I don't think that puzzles all need to be made for people who aren't very good at them.

I mean combat in these games can sometimes be a puzzle in and of itself, at least in harder fights.
And they can be too difficult for a lot of people too and they either have to find a way around it, beat it with dialogue or try and look up some cheesy tactic etc.
No one is '' forced '' to look things up online, but I don't think that the whole game should be designed with the notion in mind that *no one* should ever possibly get stuck at anything.

We'll see only time will tell.

Last edited by Svalr; 27/10/20 11:36 PM.
veteran
veteran
Of note: there is a difference in puzzle solving between knowing what the end goal is and knowing exactly how to reach the goal.

I think this puzzle was okay at the first (all the full moons in the light? in the shadow? If you didn't read the hint you might think that each circle should have a full lunar cycle)
and good at the second. It took maybe a couple minutes for me to solve once I started clicking, which is appropriate for a puzzle that gates off required areas.

Hopefully there will be more complex puzzles for optional rewards

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Of note: there is a difference in puzzle solving between knowing what the end goal is and knowing exactly how to reach the goal.

I think this puzzle was okay at the first (all the full moons in the light? in the shadow? If you didn't read the hint you might think that each circle should have a full lunar cycle)
and good at the second. It took maybe a couple minutes for me to solve once I started clicking, which is appropriate for a puzzle that gates off required areas.

There's multiple ways to reach the Underdark too.
I do think that there's a difficult line to walk tho when it comes to puzzles leading into required areas.

But I mean this is the feedback part of the forum, and my feedback is that I felt like it was too easy.
But I agree with the OP about the overall design of it outside of that and I thought it was great in regards to that too.
Peoples experiences are obviously going to vary tho but to me I just felt like it kinda wasn't a puzzle.

veteran
veteran

I do think that there's a difficult line to walk tho when it comes to puzzles leading into required areas.

But I mean this is the feedback part of the forum, and my feedback is that I felt like it was too easy.
But I agree with the OP about the overall design of it outside of that and I thought it was great in regards to that too.
Peoples experiences are obviously going to vary tho but to me I just felt like it kinda wasn't a puzzle.

True, there are multiple ways to reach the Underdark, I forgot about them because I never took any. But this is the *official way to enter, right?

And yeah balancing puzzles is difficult. Some people get the solution instantly, whereas some will be stuck and start thinking in incorrect directions. For a true party of 4+ people, usually at least one person will get on the right track. But Larian has to consider that some (most?) people playing BG3 will be playing solo.

Baraz Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Another positive note is that solving it is rewarding I find, for me anyhow, in the sense I prefer that cool entry point (sneaking in with my party) than jumping down with Feather Fall in some random hole.

apprentice
apprentice
Oh that's cool. I didn't know about the clue or the lever. I just saw the light shining on one disc and figured it needed to be all filled spots or all empty

enthusiast
enthusiast

True, there are multiple ways to reach the Underdark, I forgot about them because I never took any. But this is the *official way to enter, right?

And yeah balancing puzzles is difficult. Some people get the solution instantly, whereas some will be stuck and start thinking in incorrect directions. For a true party of 4+ people, usually at least one person will get on the right track. But Larian has to consider that some (most?) people playing BG3 will be playing solo.

Honestly, I would've taken the well route if I hadn't watched a speedrun already lol.
Pretty early on too, long before I saved Halsin.
And I just stumbled on it too it's not like I was following the speedrun route and it was hard to see where he was heading too.

Which route people end up taking will probably vary greatly, I only took the puzzle route because I was already aware of the one I stumbled on and didn't want to basically skip half of the game.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard