Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
endolex Offline OP
OP Offline
Assuming that Larian at some point either indeed makes a statement that they don't want to implement the proper 5E rules because it doesn't fit their vision for the game or whatever, or assuming that they'll never react to this question in the first place - or that they do implement a "true 5E mode" that however will end up something half-baked:

Do we have maybe people present here that have experience in modding DOS2 and would be interested in managing such a "true 5E" mod for BG3 in the long term? It's maybe never too early to organize + pool resources.
Don't know anything about modding myself (yet), but I'm sure I could handle a backlog, help discuss implementation issues between PHB and video game, verify issues, help testing etc. smile

veteran
veteran
A modder on Discord named Zerd actually started adjusting some rebalancing in that spirit. I haven't gotten around to try it myself, but I'd love to at some point. It's in much similar fashion of a mod I made for myself to adjust some mechanics towards my preference (mainly more short rests per long rest, some "roleplay abilities" no longer costing a spell slot, so it wouldn't feel bad to waste a spellslot on something that isn't used for combat), which I've been happy with.

Could be worth a look? His GitHub is here.

I think no matter what Larian does, modders will make multiple iterations and interpretations of 5e rebalances in the future. I do know a lot of feedback has been forwarded in regards to 5e interpretation as-is, but meanwhile this could be something to have fun with 👍

I already anticipate the mod community adding in all the classes and races that get left out. Dont let us down! People want to see Hexblades and Oath of Conquest! Maybe even play as a Gobbo! Winged Tiefling Variants!!! you know Larian wont hook it up with a flying race

Last edited by pill0ws; 28/10/20 01:11 AM.
endolex Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by The Composer
A modder on Discord named Zerd actually started adjusting some rebalancing in that spirit. I haven't gotten around to try it myself, but I'd love to at some point. It's in much similar fashion of a mod I made for myself to adjust some mechanics towards my preference (mainly more short rests per long rest, some "roleplay abilities" no longer costing a spell slot, so it wouldn't feel bad to waste a spellslot on something that isn't used for combat), which I've been happy with.

Could be worth a look? His GitHub is here.

I think no matter what Larian does, modders will make multiple iterations and interpretations of 5e rebalances in the future. I do know a lot of feedback has been forwarded in regards to 5e interpretation as-is, but meanwhile this could be something to have fun with 👍

Awesome, thanks!

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by pill0ws
I already anticipate the mod community adding in all the classes and races that get left out. Dont let us down! People want to see Hexblades and Oath of Conquest! Maybe even play as a Gobbo! Winged Tiefling Variants!!! you know Larian wont hook it up with a flying race

Play as a Goblin? Fairly sure that's a mod on Nexus already. Or maybe I've just seen Work In Progress pictures on the Larian Discord. Either or. But I'm still fairly sure that's uploaded already.

That could be a solution, there is a small player base that are actually hard core D&D players and want Baldur's gate to be exactly like tabletop D&D. And for them I hope they can find the mods to play the game the way they intended. For the rest of us I honestly hope they don't do that, because with all the respect D&D deserves, it is an old system and could use a lot of improvement.

D
D
Originally Posted by drimaxus
That could be a solution, there is a small player base that are actually hard core D&D players and want Baldur's gate to be exactly like tabletop D&D. And for them I hope they can find the mods to play the game the way they intended. For the rest of us I honestly hope they don't do that, because with all the respect D&D deserves, it is an old system and could use a lot of improvement.

how do u know you are representing the majority of players? And 5e is release for only like 5 years, how come it's a very old system?

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by dunehunter

how do u know you are representing the majority of players? And 5e is release for only like 5 years, how come it's a very old system?

They might be referring to PnP in general, not just 5e. Majority of gamers are casual as well. They won't be showing up on forums or complaining about 5e rules. They'll be Twitch or twitter just having fun with the sillier parts of the game. I can't think of a big RPG series that hasn't streamlined theirs games either. So I've ended up usually playing the old ones with graphic mods or new ones with game changing mods.

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
Originally Posted by HustleCat
Originally Posted by dunehunter

They might be referring to PnP in general, not just 5e. Majority of gamers are casual as well. They won't be showing up on forums or complaining about 5e rules. They'll be Twitch or twitter just having fun with the sillier parts of the game. I can't think of a big RPG series that hasn't streamlined theirs games either. So I've ended up usually playing the old ones with graphic mods or new ones with game changing mods.

That "majority" isn't opposed to PnP ppl. They simply don't know, don't care. Hence irrelevant as long as the game remains good and fun.

The ones who would actively oppose to PnP ppl would be... DOS fans.

Now DOS fans vs PnP fans, which is the majortity/minority?

What is BG3? Another DOS game or D&D game? It's time that Lariat realizes it can't be both at the same time. (Yes it can and it is, but you know what I mean... smile )

Last edited by Lumign; 28/10/20 04:48 AM.
Originally Posted by The Composer
Originally Posted by pill0ws

Play as a Goblin? Fairly sure that's a mod on Nexus already.

*runs to download...

enthusiast
enthusiast

Outstanding claims require outstanding evidence.

Please provide evidence of your claim regarding the player base for BG 3.

apprentice
apprentice
Why are we claiming 5e to be the minority? Um the game was advertised with Wizards of the Coast to be representative of 5e as a dnd product. LMFAO!

It also happens to be a part 3 in a series that is known for trying to adapt the current editon of DnD upon release. It was never advertised as a Div clone that would use more of its rules. And still is not!

There is a lot of posts between here, reddit, and steam and they all are complaining about it should be closer to 5e. Or the things they want changed ARE already in 5e or how 5e would have done it and they just didnt know cause they actually dont know shit about tabletop and or 5e. The only people who are saying dont add more 5e are the ones who do not play it. Every 5e member who got ready for the game only like a couple of the changes from the base system. The rest is bad math and terrible game mastering.

For instance: Push and shoving and their action economy. Enemies having adjusted stats like low ac but huge hp pools, conversations and skills not being at all utilized. Damage and action economy of spells and or class abilities. LIke spells leaving pools of lava but doing less damage. There is a poll scrolling these forums and every issue listed that had the highest votes would be gone had they stuck to 5e and not Divinity. Div is a good game but a lot of their systems got added on the last month of playtest. Where as 5e was playtested 1-2 years before release and still has errata happening. Sure it needs work and there could be changes. But jump and shove was never one of them. This game sped up looks like a clunky Mario... not a tactical dnd game.

In every instance I have seen. It would have been superior if done the tabletop way.

Why? Cause the characters and their stats and abilities are tied in every way shape or form to 5e character creations rules. But the monsters are freestyled... the encounters are nonsensicle. WHY FORCE THE PLAYERS to follow the rules but nothing else?

As soon as they start implementing the changes and they will. They did during divinity 2 playtest. They overhauled the entire combat system after feedback. IT will happen again and all the nay saying about 5e will be gone. Cause it will be implemented and people will enjoy it. We are not trying to break your toy... We are trying to help you. Make BG a DnD game and keep DIVINITY a Divinity game. It is ok for these to be completely seperate entities I love them both. But BG will benefit more being what it was advertised to be. The game that WOTC paid for as their new publisher... A modern representation of their tabletop in game form.

BG 1-2 didnt follow the rules to the letter either... everyone was ok with that. But the things they changed where for the better. Usually involving game balance with fun. Now bg3 tried to add fun but lost a lot of game balance in the process.

In the end you will see if they listen and make changes. The game will be 20 times better this time next year. Im not talking bugs and cutscenes I am talking changes to the entire SYSTEM!

D
D
And remember in time of BG2 there were not many ways for players to return feedbacks, there were no heatmap at that time.

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
Originally Posted by IAmPageicus
Why are we claiming 5e to be the minority? Um the game was advertised with Wizards of the Coast to be representative of 5e as a dnd product. LMFAO!

It also happens to be a part 3 in a series that is known for trying to adapt the current editon of DnD upon release. It was never advertised as a Div clone that would use more of its rules. And still is not!

There is a lot of posts between here, reddit, and steam and they all are complaining about it should be closer to 5e. Or the things they want changed ARE already in 5e or how 5e would have done it and they just didnt know cause they actually dont know shit about tabletop and or 5e. The only people who are saying dont add more 5e are the ones who do not play it. Every 5e member who got ready for the game only like a couple of the changes from the base system. The rest is bad math and terrible game mastering.

For instance: Push and shoving and their action economy. Enemies having adjusted stats like low ac but huge hp pools, conversations and skills not being at all utilized. Damage and action economy of spells and or class abilities. LIke spells leaving pools of lava but doing less damage. There is a poll scrolling these forums and every issue listed that had the highest votes would be gone had they stuck to 5e and not Divinity. Div is a good game but a lot of their systems got added on the last month of playtest. Where as 5e was playtested 1-2 years before release and still has errata happening. Sure it needs work and there could be changes. But jump and shove was never one of them. This game sped up looks like a clunky Mario... not a tactical dnd game.

In every instance I have seen. It would have been superior if done the tabletop way.

Why? Cause the characters and their stats and abilities are tied in every way shape or form to 5e character creations rules. But the monsters are freestyled... the encounters are nonsensicle. WHY FORCE THE PLAYERS to follow the rules but nothing else?

As soon as they start implementing the changes and they will. They did during divinity 2 playtest. They overhauled the entire combat system after feedback. IT will happen again and all the nay saying about 5e will be gone. Cause it will be implemented and people will enjoy it. We are not trying to break your toy... We are trying to help you. Make BG a DnD game and keep DIVINITY a Divinity game. It is ok for these to be completely seperate entities I love them both. But BG will benefit more being what it was advertised to be. The game that WOTC paid for as their new publisher... A modern representation of their tabletop in game form.

BG 1-2 didnt follow the rules to the letter either... everyone was ok with that. But the things they changed where for the better. Usually involving game balance with fun. Now bg3 tried to add fun but lost a lot of game balance in the process.

In the end you will see if they listen and make changes. The game will be 20 times better this time next year. Im not talking bugs and cutscenes I am talking changes to the entire SYSTEM!

Amen brother.

Link Copied to Clipboard