Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
journeyman
journeyman
can anyone please tell me what their game version is now after installing the latest patch? thank you

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Sozz
Originally Posted by Abits
would have been helpful if there were an evil path. not just mmorpg quest with sex scene

yeah, the game funnels you to the grove and gives you the Tiefling's sob story so it's really difficult not to side with them first, which makes siding with Minthara doubly difficult because you're betraying people who were looking to you for help. so you really have to go out of your way to go evil. 75/25 makes sense

+1. If we get carolled into the tiefling camp and get their quest shoved in our face, most people will follow through with it because we think "I guess this is how the game plays, let's see where this goes". Since no other option has been revealed. Later you can "switch sides", but you ARE siding with the tieflings by default in the game right now. It's kinda telling that the goblins in the first battle are ENEMIES and the tieflings are FRIENDS and you have to partake in that battle as an ally of the tieflings.

Last edited by Skarpharald; 27/10/20 09:05 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
would have been helpful if there were an evil path. not just mmorpg quest with sex scene

yeah, the game funnels you to the grove and gives you the Tiefling's sob story so it's really difficult not to side with them first, which makes siding with Minthara doubly difficult because you're betraying people who were looking to you for help. so you really have to go out of your way to go evil. 75/25 makes sense

You also have to join a cult to something nobody will tell you anything about , with zero chance of getting something out of it as it appears up front. An evil character would probably think "what's in it for me" and right now there is Zero incentive up front for an evil character to join the "Evil" side. What does an evil character want? STATUS, POWER, INFLUENCE, and stuff that empowers them or solves their problems. As it happens the player HAS a personal problem - tadpole related - and if it seems the gobbos are a smooth solution to that, how bad is killing a few kids for an evil character?

The evil side seems like scientologists when you think about it. If you don't know shit about what the goblins are about, then why the fuck would you join? Just to slay the tieflings would be suitable for a chaotic evil demon that feeds on chaos, but you aint that.

Other suggestion for incentive: Minthara makes it clear that you get a personal goblin servant if you choose to join her, as it would befit someone of your grandiose status and power (goblin would be npc in your camp that worhips you, they would basically be like the goblins at the party, choose male or female goblin). She also promises to explain the deal with the tadpole and the absolute and all the questions burning in your mind (she can lie about this, would be fine if she lies), but only if you aid them in slaughtering the tieflings and druids. Then the evil character can be like "oh shit, I can get tangible benefits AND the answers to my important questions?! And all I have to do is kill some kids?! Good deal!"

Maybe I'm talking shit but my mission is to speak my mind since that's what Larian told me to do.

Last edited by Skarpharald; 27/10/20 09:05 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Darth Rauko
Really disappointed. I understand that you fix the bugs, but you should also listen to the community with the changes that we request.

I don't know how much I care, the percentage of players who petted a dog.
But I do care if the game is more like Baldurs than Divinity by following the rules and lore of D&D5

Relax - as you can see this is update are only fixes! We will see a lot of changes during EA - but I think that they need more time.
Remember that EA will be for more than 1 year - we could expect 3 updates with changes - but this is a guess.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Darth Rauko
Really disappointed. I understand that you fix the bugs, but you should also listen to the community with the changes that we request.

I don't know how much I care, the percentage of players who petted a dog.
But I do care if the game is more like Baldurs than Divinity by following the rules and lore of D&D5

It's EA, they should first fix bugs not haul new features on top of a bug ridden game, its programming basics.

Also, saying "plz follow rules and lore" doesn't offer anything to anyone, be specific or calm down.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Skarpharald

+1. If we get carolled into the tiefling camp and get their quest shoved in our face, most people will follow through with it because we think "I guess this is how the game plays, let's see where this goes". Since no other option has been revealed. Later you can "switch sides", but you ARE siding with the tieflings by default in the game right now. It's kinda telling that the goblins in the first battle are ENEMIES and the tieflings are FRIENDS and you have to partake in that battle as an ally of the tieflings.

I didn't like this moment either. There is no choice - I wanted to help goblins from the very beginning of the game, and the game seemed to say "goblins can only be enemies, don't even think about it." And then we are proudly shown statistics 75 to 25.
Seriously, why not ask the player if he wants to help the goblins in the first battle? Some kind of call from a goblin, they say, "True Soul, help us". The result would be completely different. And more information, more rewards, perspectives solutions to our tadpole problem, an honest quest to "join the absolute" and get Minthara to the party as a drow companion and romance. With the opportunity to figure out together what the absolute really is and whether it is worth serving it, or we can play our own game. (Minthara does not know that she has a tadpole, most likely, and perhaps the truth will make her be more pragmatic, and find an ally in our person)

If she knows that there is a tadpole, and can explain to us that there is nothing to be afraid of transformation a mind flayer. Then this is a double problem why NOT A WORD is said about it in the current version of the game.

Why can't we just tell her everything that happened to us, and say that we are on her side anyway?

This is exactly what 90% of the players who write feedback about the evil walkthrough wanted. Give people what we want please

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
Originally Posted by virion
Originally Posted by Jess_Larian

But 40.79% of players who jumped down a large, dark hole arrived dead, because they leapt without Feather Fall.

You do realize they probably didn't do it on purpose? There's a bug causing it. Or rather a glitch.
If you activate Feather fall on your whole party and activate TURN MODE to be able to jump in one by one you should have time to do it.

But if the 1st guy that jumped in gets engaged in a fight with the minotaurs combat mode is activated. Which means turn mode is deactivated for those who didn't jump yet.

The 2nd player can't enable TURN MODE again easily, it won't respond to input since... you're already in turn base mode in the Underdark. But you're not on the surface.

If they jump they get the cinematic again. You can't pass the cinematic. Feather fall deactivates before you fall down. BAM you lost your mage.

I have done this to loot dead spider.

K
journeyman
journeyman
K
I hope future updates let us in on how you're utilizing feedback to improve the game (controls, camera, UI, balance, etc.) and big changes coming down the pipeline. These statistics are kinda shallow and uninteresting. How does knowing how many times a dog has been pet improve the game?

K
apprentice
apprentice
K
So when is Stadia getting this update? The version number is still the same as before this announcement. v4.1.84.2021

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by virion
Originally Posted by Jess_Larian

But 40.79% of players who jumped down a large, dark hole arrived dead, because they leapt without Feather Fall.

You do realize they probably didn't do it on purpose? There's a bug causing it. Or rather a glitch.
If you activate Feather fall on your whole party and activate TURN MODE to be able to jump in one by one you should have time to do it.

But if the 1st guy that jumped in gets engaged in a fight with the minotaurs combat mode is activated. Which means turn mode is deactivated for those who didn't jump yet.

The 2nd player can't enable TURN MODE again easily, it won't respond to input since... you're already in turn base mode in the Underdark. But you're not on the surface.

If they jump they get the cinematic again. You can't pass the cinematic. Feather fall deactivates before you fall down. BAM you lost your mage.

That scene is super bugged. they tried to give us some cool cinematic but it works so bad right now, and don't forget that you must make each party member jump separately.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
old hand
old hand
If a person went a good way because you made more content to help tieflings (the bad hero does not get into the Underdark and goes to the Moonrise Towers in a different way) and did not make a normal motivated passage of the path of evil, many people did not even know that there was such an option, then does it make sense to publish stats 75% / 25%? It's a shame. If there was no charismatic Minthara, and people who were SPECIALLY looking for an opportunity to make friends with her no matter what, it would be 97/3% (3% just for lovers of chaotic evil)
Larian can easily reach 50-50 if they listen to their players who write feedback and hope to be heard. A lot of people who love to play evil complained that the game forces them to help tieflings

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
old hand
old hand
74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems.

Then make it more compelling to side with Minthara. My main evil playthrough sided with Halsin because he seems the better choice to remove the tadpole. Minthara and the Absolute could not be trusted, there needs to be more with them to make this decision a better one. Not everyone will be thinking with only the little brain when it comes to her.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Zarna
74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems.

Then make it more compelling to side with Minthara. My main evil playthrough sided with Halsin because he seems the better choice to remove the tadpole. Minthara and the Absolute could not be trusted, there needs to be more with them to make this decision a better one. Not everyone will be thinking with only the little brain when it comes to her.

There have been great discussions of this quote in other threads ...

https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=718905&page=5

https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=715499&page=5

and not only there ...

Larian, can't you just say that everything is okay and that you will spend more time working on the content for an evil run? People are really worried. This choice of players is not because everyone wants to play for good, but because evil is poorly spelled out now. Don't make the wrong conclusions on statistics! Listen to your fans on this forum and in Reddit. We explained in detail why such statistics arose, and it is very bad for the game that the evil passage is poorly worked out. You wanted our EA feedback to make the game better, we write it very clearly and unanimously. You don't need any enthusiasm and joy from such statistics, it says that there is a problem, not a reason for joy. Now this is easy to fix, but if it is in release it will be an epic file.

Hopefully, the next community update will be devoted entirely to the problems that are in the evil root. Say there will be more content, more explanation, more motivation, announce Minthara as a companion and all questions will disappear. Everyone will be happy and will love you even more. It now seems that Larian is deaf to his community that discusses the dark side of power.

veteran
veteran
I think it's really hilarious that a few people are complaining about the 75:25 split between good v. evil under their assumption that it is only because the evil side of the game is not rewarding enough or something. How about the possibility that the overwhelming majority of people playing the game (so NOT just the tiny, non-representative sample in this forum) actually believe playing good is how one ought to play the game? As someone for whom there is no possible reward that could convince me to play evil, I am extremely happy to see that the preference for good significantly outweighs the preference for evil.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by kanisatha
I think it's really hilarious that a few people are complaining about the 75:25 split between good v. evil under their assumption that it is only because the evil side of the game is not rewarding enough or something. How about the possibility that the overwhelming majority of people playing the game (so NOT just the tiny, non-representative sample in this forum) actually believe playing good is how one ought to play the game? As someone for whom there is no possible reward that could convince me to play evil, I am extremely happy to see that the preference for good significantly outweighs the preference for evil.

Well obviously the amount of people who play only as they would in real life and cannot understand why some would be drawn to evil will outweigh those who like to take different paths. Many people can't become anyone other than themselves for any reason. There is no one way people "ought" to play a game. It is a game, not a reflection of real life. Some of us welcome the opportunity to be someone else for a bit. For me, I do not need the evil path to be rewarding, I just want it to make sense.

Also, remember they wanted us to test the evil path. There will be some people who do not treat this as early access and play however they want to, but maybe most people tried to do as requested. With these numbers it is clear they need to work on this evil path.

old hand
old hand

I understand. I just want to say that you have nothing to worry about, with playing the good guy in this game, everything is in order, the only thing missing in a good playthrough is a "good" companion, lawful good or chaotic good. But it will obviously be added in the future, plus Shadow Heart can optionally be good (there is such a theory).
In terms of quests, choices, motivation, a good passage has clear advantages at the moment.

In the evil passage, there are problems due to which we lost 10-20% of those who would have chosen the evil root if it had been better worked out. Plus there are obvious problems faced by players who have chosen this path, despite the fact that it is more difficult and incomprehensible. We also want full immersion in the role and pleasure from the game, and we do not want the game to discriminate against our decisions in comparison with a good passage, to give less content, less understanding, and fewer opportunities.

Even one opportunity to choose a side on which to fight during the first attack of the goblins on the grove of druids (first visit) would give the evil root additional interest, and now it is some kind of secret root. Which players are looking for specifically without motivation in the game to see what will happen. The player is not given the slightest hint that it is generally possible to play this way, this root can only be found on purpose.

Not to mention that there are a lot of bugs on the way of evil when attacking the druid grove. This battle may not happen at all if someone important from the grove died earlier, or if we decided to wait until evening at the camp, and so on.

At the same time, the POTENTIAL of the evil (and neutral) root is very large, and I madly want the full realization of this potential. So many interesting things and shared adventures can be thought of between our character and Minthara for the all next acts, but now we see even in the first act of the problem on her side, I don't want this to become a trend.

I'm wondering what percentage of 75% went through this way, because in addition to motivation, rewards and rationale of this method, they have Undredark, and congratulations from the developers? And those who passed on the side of Mintara have nothing at the end of their passage, except for the feeling that the player is a fool. Will goblins become non-aggressive again in the future, information about tadpoles, the cult of the absolute, when we see Minthara next time and will she go with us? ... The list goes on. No answers, no congratulations, a feeling of complete understatement. As if Larian was forgotten us

It was very strange considering that Larian wanted to show us exactly the evil root that they talked about earlier. I don't understand why it was so difficult to make it better, I repeat that there is a huge potential. This could be the best RPG ever

addict
addict
Thanks Larian - keep up the good work.

On another note - chill out people its only about a month after release & you're frothing at the bit because huge gameplay changes/upgrades are not already implemented ? cmon.....

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Tarorn
Thanks Larian - keep up the good work.

On another note - chill out people its only about a month after release & you're frothing at the bit because huge gameplay changes/upgrades are not already implemented ? cmon.....

Yep, this is the answer.

Suggestions should be posted in the suggestion forum. This is a bug fixing post.

veteran
veteran
Where is the count for petting the good owlbear boy?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by OneManArmy

I understand. I just want to say that you have nothing to worry about, with playing the good guy in this game, everything is in order, the only thing missing in a good playthrough is a "good" companion, lawful good or chaotic good. But it will obviously be added in the future, plus Shadow Heart can optionally be good (there is such a theory).
In terms of quests, choices, motivation, a good passage has clear advantages at the moment.

In the evil passage, there are problems due to which we lost 10-20% of those who would have chosen the evil root if it had been better worked out. Plus there are obvious problems faced by players who have chosen this path, despite the fact that it is more difficult and incomprehensible. We also want full immersion in the role and pleasure from the game, and we do not want the game to discriminate against our decisions in comparison with a good passage, to give less content, less understanding, and fewer opportunities.

Even one opportunity to choose a side on which to fight during the first attack of the goblins on the grove of druids (first visit) would give the evil root additional interest, and now it is some kind of secret root. Which players are looking for specifically without motivation in the game to see what will happen. The player is not given the slightest hint that it is generally possible to play this way, this root can only be found on purpose.

Not to mention that there are a lot of bugs on the way of evil when attacking the druid grove. This battle may not happen at all if someone important from the grove died earlier, or if we decided to wait until evening at the camp, and so on.

At the same time, the POTENTIAL of the evil (and neutral) root is very large, and I madly want the full realization of this potential. So many interesting things and shared adventures can be thought of between our character and Minthara for the all next acts, but now we see even in the first act of the problem on her side, I don't want this to become a trend.

I'm wondering what percentage of 75% went through this way, because in addition to motivation, rewards and rationale of this method, they have Undredark, and congratulations from the developers? And those who passed on the side of Mintara have nothing at the end of their passage, except for the feeling that the player is a fool. Will goblins become non-aggressive again in the future, information about tadpoles, the cult of the absolute, when we see Minthara next time and will she go with us? ... The list goes on. No answers, no congratulations, a feeling of complete understatement. As if Larian was forgotten us

It was very strange considering that Larian wanted to show us exactly the evil root that they talked about earlier. I don't understand why it was so difficult to make it better, I repeat that there is a huge potential. This could be the best RPG ever

I truly appreciate your very fair-minded words. However, the point I was trying to make is that it should not be surprising to anyone in any way that the numbers were 75:25 in favor of playing good. If anything, I would expect the numbers to be 90:10, and feel the only reason it is 75:25 is because some people who would normally never play evil decided to help out Larian's testing needs by giving the evil side a shot.

Furthermore, it is not at all realistic to expect that in a BG game the "good" side and the "evil" side will be or can be equivalent. The Forgotten Realms is a very decidedly good-aligned setting. The setting itself is good, and evil is restricted to pockets within it. Those pockets of evil, from time to time, try to break out of their pockets and spread out into the good parts of the setting, but eventually get driven back. Decades of FR lore makes it very clear that in the FR the good side ALWAYS wins in the end, and any gains by the evil side are at most LOCAL and temporary. So how is Larian supposed to make a story-driven RPG where somehow the evil side bucks all of that FR lore and the overall nature of the FR setting and ends up winning in the end? To put it more bluntly, if you as the protagonist somehow manage to "win" playing evil, at some point therein all of the many, many very powerful good-aligned NPC characters in the setting should/will rally against you and surely defeat you. Heck, the game should just have Elminster show up at your door and turn you into a smear on the ground.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard