Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
Lumign Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
L
To my knowledge in Faerun, Drow male cannot become a Cleric of Lolth. Which is one of the key characteristics of a typical evil Drow society which is predominantly sexist and racist.

Surely it is a mistake of Larian and it will be fixed, right?

Or did the Lore change to be more "SWJ PC"?

Last edited by Lumign; 28/10/20 01:46 PM.
Drow are no longer evil and have embraced neo-liberal dogma

N
old hand
old hand
N
I don't know. What do the D&D 5e rules say about it? Maybe it has become possible. After all, captain marvel is a girl now. Progressist values might have reached the underdark too.

Last edited by Nyanko; 28/10/20 01:52 PM.
L
Lumign Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
L

What? That S*CKS!!!

Did Disney buy Wizards of the Coast or what? What the hell happened?

Last edited by Lumign; 28/10/20 01:54 PM.
S
veteran
veteran
S
obviously its impossible in the lore, but the game engine allows it because theres no race class restrictions.
Admittedly tho its something they ought to patch out.

thing is tho, you always could make deity choices that make no sense in DnD games.
in nwn 2 you could worship kossuth and eilistrae and lolth just the same

N
old hand
old hand
N
Honestly, my first character was a drow priestess of Lolth because in my mind, it wasn't possible for a male. So good find, I'd say XD

S
stranger
stranger
S
OP If it makes you feel any better Elves still apparently can't grow facial hair, but Halflings of both sexes can now. So there is that.

Have Fun smile!

Last edited by SimDoughnut; 28/10/20 02:05 PM.
I think its funny, you could RP it as "Male Drow priest exiled by his people for being a role swapper... was off on his own when abducted by the Mindflayers"

L
Lumign Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
L
Originally Posted by SimDoughnut
OP If it makes you feel any better Elves still apparently can't grow facial hair, but Halflings of both sexes can now. So there is that.

Have Fun smile!

First thing I noticed was that facial hair option was not barred for human women... (and it... works... as intended?....)

Just one question tho, did Larian do it because they thought it was funny or was it because of some law in Canada?

Last edited by Lumign; 28/10/20 02:13 PM.
old hand
old hand

Is this a tribute to the fight against gender discrimination?

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
addict
addict
I think certain concepts underlying the Drow society were derived from spider behaviors in the real world. In certain spider species, the females are physically superior to the males, and sometimes they eat the males after mating! The Drow worship Lolth the Spider Queen, so it makes sense that their social behaviors correlate more to the spider's way of living. In our digital gaming world, anyone can be anything without restriction. Sometimes I think that overcoming character limitations was originally meant to be part of the fun of the game, because that sort of connects to experiences most of us have in our lives.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by pill0ws

Neo-liberalism is a market-oriented economic theory developed by (among others) Milton Friedman and is associated with politicians like Margaret Thatcher and Ronald Reagan. It advocates deregulation and the expansion of the marketplace to its maximum possible reach, including both geographic territory and aspects of personal identity (think of the way contemporary marketing campaigns are usually focusing on a lifestyle rather than a product, even though the product is Nike shoes or BMWs).

Now you all can use the correct terminology while you’re complaining. 😂

Last edited by Warlocke; 28/10/20 02:25 PM.
Originally Posted by Lumign
To my knowledge in Faerun, Drow male cannot become a Cleric of Lolth. Which is one of the key characteristics of a typical evil Drow society which is predominantly sexist and racist.

In The Silent Blade (1998, 11th book in the Drizzt collection) there is a male Drow cleric (of Lolth) wizard hybrid.

Last edited by Nezix; 28/10/20 02:30 PM.
P
P
In general: players in D&D shouldn't be limited by lore restrictions. A male cleric of Lolth is an oddity, but so are all player characters. They're the heroes. As a DM, when someone says they want to do something like this, the answer is not "you can't", it's "okay, and this is what that will entail..."

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Postwave
In general: players in D&D shouldn't be limited by lore restrictions. A male cleric of Lolth is an oddity, but so are all player characters. They're the heroes. As a DM, when someone says they want to do something like this, the answer is not "you can't", it's "okay, and this is what that will entail..."

thank you, +1 to this

L
Lumign Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
L

In that case, let my human paladin worship Lolth too, because why not?

No, I dare say. Not like this. Not for free.

How about a compromise? Let a player create a Male Drow Cleric of Lolth, but not without consequences. (Lolth would want your PC to die, so some penalties/randomness in spells, curses like you transform to spider while resting(?) for example, etc.) That might at least make things interesting.

Last edited by Lumign; 28/10/20 02:38 PM.
old hand
old hand

How about a compromise? Let a player create a Male Drow Cleric of Lolth, but not without consequences. (Lolth would want your PC to die, so some penalties/randomness in spells, curses like you transform to spider while resting(?) for example, etc.) That might at least make things interesting.

And let's also introduce The Test of Lolth into the game so that those who play for Drow Lolth play as in hardcore mode
https://www.realmshelps.net/charbuild/races/elf/drow2.shtml

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
L
Lumign Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
L
Originally Posted by OneManArmy

And let's also introduce The Test of Lolth into the game so that those who play for Drow Lolth play as in hardcore mode

Such attentions to details would only make this almost perfect game perfecter.

Last edited by Lumign; 28/10/20 02:42 PM.
N
old hand
old hand
N

To a certain extent I would agree. But the fact cleric powers are bestowed by a goddess, we could say that if one of her tenets specifies clerics should only be females, and you would allow a male cleric in your D&D campaign, it would entail one of these three principles:

1) Menzoberranzan priestesses are liars who hide to the males the fact they could, if they so wanted, become priests of Lolth, thus no such tenet exists.

2) In your campaign, the character has done a special and exceptional deed lore wise which would have allowed him to become a priest of Lolth.

3) You don't care about the drow lore at all and you do what you want as a DM with your campaign.

Everyone of them is perfectly fine, but the latter is kind of problematic with a game which advertises it follows the D&D 5e lore and rules.

Last edited by Nyanko; 28/10/20 02:50 PM.
S
veteran
veteran
S
Warlocke hes right tho.
Progressivism has been heavily adopted by Neoliberals to create a smokescreen.

Pretty easy to do crony capitalism when the pro worker people are busy debating toilets : ^)

>where do powers come from
Dont read Elder Evils then.
its gonna break your perception of things. Then again, might not actually be relevant to Forgotten Realms, tho its been implied to play into the very reason the wall of the Faithless is there (Aka: if the mortal sfigure out they dont actually need the gods for divine magic to work theres no reason to hold em ransom anymore)

Either way i dotn think a male cleric of lolth makes any sense, especialy a lolthsworn drow.
Theres the Punk Rock approach to Character building wehre you go "Fuck you im gonna be a Chaotic Evil Paladin" in 5e, but i think Male Lolth cleric is a bit too Punk Rock.

Last edited by Sordak; 28/10/20 02:52 PM.
old hand
old hand

Such attentions to details would only make this almost perfect game perfecter.

We need at least a warning at the stage of character creation, when we choose Drow Lolth, about what awaits us.
And the ability to abandon Lolth during the game, if you do not want to pass one of the tests.

How many difficulties, plus the tests are cruel even for me (I like to pass for evil, not chaotic, but law)
This is the reason I am the Drow of the Seldariin

apprentice
apprentice
This is a complete misconception in terms of Forgotten Realms lore. You could always play a drow male priest of Lolth in all editions of D&D. The problem is, most Lolthite societies would have you killed for it, since gender roles are very rigidly defined. However Lolth herself is a goddess of chaos, and who thrives on chaos, and if it serves her purpose, she might allow a drow priest to gain spells from her, provided the priest is in some way following her designs.

You are an abomination either way.

OnT: Your PC is always a Baldurian/surface dweller (right? I'm actually not sure...), but yeah, it still doesn't make sense if he becomes a cleric of Lolth. Maybe he used to be female? Maybe he's just very confused and only his parents accept him for the cleric of Lolth that he belives himself to be?

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by frequentic
[...]
OnT: Your PC is always a Baldurian/surface dweller (right? I'm actually not sure...), [...]

On my first playthru I played a female Drow Cleric and I was not a Baldurian AFAIK but from the Underdark.

L
Lumign Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
L

You are an abomination either way.

OnT: Your PC is always a Baldurian/surface dweller (right? I'm actually not sure...), but yeah, it still doesn't make sense if he becomes a cleric of Lolth. Maybe he used to be female? Maybe he's just very confused and only his parents accept him for the cleric of Lolth that he belives himself to be?

Oh dear... you're right indeed.

A surface dwelling Lolth worshipping Drow living among the humans and elves in Baldur's Gate...... hmm....

More choice for players so can't be too bad, I guess.

stranger
stranger
Althogh im from the thinking that the PC can be whatever, because everyone is different, i look into the wiki and books about it, from what i can see Lolth dont have a distinct rule that she will ONLY have female drows as clerics, but the drow society impose this as a rule, even tho they have this, male clerics drows are still there, not as much, and very few, but still there.

EVERYTHING IM SAYING IS 5E

journeyman
journeyman
OnT: Your PC is always a Baldurian/surface dweller (right? I'm actually not sure...)

Uh, no they aren't. Even if they were the good-faith assumption would be that the Baldurian tag being on Drow or Githyanki is simply a mistake. However those tags are not on either Githyanki or Drow.

Kind of wild how quickly this turned into an insane political thing. I think it's much more likely that it's an oversight. Lloth sworn drow can't pick a deity other than Lloth, right? So there's already a restriction there, so gender locking cleric for Lloth sworn drow isn't entirely impossible given that. I mean it's early access and there's not a ton of talk about but this level of projection is better left on twitter, in my opinion.

Last edited by Worm; 28/10/20 04:14 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Any such Drow would be attacked on sight by literally everyone he met for either being a Drow or an apostate. Don't see a reason why you "cannot be" but the life expectancy would be laughable...... If he said to mommy in the underdark at age 5 "i wanna be a cleric" he would be chucked in a spider pit 10 seconds later.

old hand
old hand

I suppose you could stretch it by saying Lolth is amusing herself. Still a bit weird though but it is a single player game.

It seems that WotC wants to pretend Underdark Drow do not exist any more. I am just glad the people I play DnD with accept that Drow didn't all wake up one day and decide to become good.

addict
addict
Ok guys, here's what I found on Lolth's page on the FR wikia:

Lolth's clerics were almost exclusively female (although there were a few males).

The Militant Myrlochar, sometimes known as the Order of Soul Spiders, was an elite fighting organization composed exclusively of male crusaders, and found in the dark elven cities where Lolth was worshiped and males were allowed entrance into her priesthood. They directly served the reigning Matron Mothers of the city and were employed to kill their targets. They were usually used without pause until they got killed.

So while I agree that a male cleric of Lolth seems bizzarre, apparently it is not against established lore - just very rare.

(Though I think male clerics of Lolth should get appropriate reactions. It IS weird in most places that have even rudimentary understanding of drow society/religion - including most drow cities, I presume.)

Originally Posted by Nezix

In The Silent Blade (1998, 11th book in the Drizzt collection) there is a male Drow cleric (of Lolth) wizard hybrid.

Yep, Rai-guy Bondelek and he is a top lieutenant in Bregan D'aerthe (Jarlaxle's mercenary band.) I don't remember which book it is in but in one of them he actually heals Regis by praying to Lloth and later in the same book he save Drizzt from dying and Jarlaxle remarks about how he will have to do penance for months for using his prayers to Lady Lloth to heal Drizzt (or something to that effect anyway.)

Last edited by Osprey39; 28/10/20 08:56 PM.
Originally Posted by deserk
This is a complete misconception in terms of Forgotten Realms lore. You could always play a drow male priest of Lolth in all editions of D&D. The problem is, most Lolthite societies would have you killed for it, since gender roles are very rigidly defined. However Lolth herself is a goddess of chaos, and who thrives on chaos, and if it serves her purpose, she might allow a drow priest to gain spells from her, provided the priest is in some way following her designs.

Not entirely true. I haven't played PnP since 2nd edition but I know for a fact that you could not play a drow anything in 2nd edition.

enthusiast
enthusiast

I think that there's a difference between people being inherently evil as in genetically evil and culturally evil.
The Drow are clearly culturally evil even in the game, that doesn't mean that every single Drow is.

Just like how just because America has a culture that glorifies violence and is full of religious fundamentalists doesn't mean that every American fantasise about being Charles Bronson in Death Wish and hates gay people.

Originally Posted by Svalr

I think that there's a difference between people being inherently evil as in genetically evil and culturally evil.
The Drow are clearly culturally evil even in the game, that doesn't mean that every single Drow is.

No, just 99.99999999% of them are evil, at least in Salvatore's Legend of Drizzt books. There's a reason Drizzt, Zaknafein and Jarlaxle stand out in those books. It's because for each of them, there are a thousand or more drow that are evil to their core. I mean Lloth dwells in the Abyss and she is the deity that most drow worship. Enough said I think. Drow are also extremely racist. All of that is ok in a fantasy world and in fact, it makes drow great antagonists. I really, really hated the Do'Urden girls in those books for example.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Osprey39

No, just 99.99999999% of them are evil, at least in Salvatore's Legend of Drizzt books. There's a reason Drizzt, Zaknafein and Jarlaxle stand out in those books. It's because for each of them, there are a thousand or more drow that are evil to their core. I mean Lloth dwells in the Abyss and she is the deity that most drow worship. Enough said I think. Drow are also extremely racist. All of that is ok in a fantasy world and in fact, it makes drow great antagonists. I really, really hated the Do'Urden girls in those books for example.

I don't see the problem with having the option to play the 1% of the Drow that aren't like that.
Our characters in RPG's to begin with are always the exception and special.

@Svalr: I didn't say there was a problem with wanting to play a non-evil drow. I was just pointing out that non-evil drow are extremely rare and that there is no problem with the race being almost entirely evil in this fantasy world. I say that because this is not the first time that I have heard crap about Wizards softening the drow to be less evil because, ALLEGEDLY, they don't want the dark skinned race to be the bad guys. I don't know if that is true but I certainly hope it is not. I really grow tired of attempts to make fantasy worlds reflect the modern real world.

journeyman
journeyman
Lolth allows male clerics everyone... just so you know. It's just pretty rare.

K
K
@Svalr: I didn't say there was a problem with wanting to play a non-evil drow. I was just pointing out that non-evil drow are extremely rare and that there is no problem with the race being almost entirely evil in this fantasy world. I say that because this is not the first time that I have heard crap about Wizards softening the drow to be less evil because, ALLEGEDLY, they don't want the dark skinned race to be the bad guys. I don't know if that is true but I certainly hope it is not. I really grow tired of attempts to make fantasy worlds reflect the modern real world.

Eh, I don't feel anyway about it tbh. Like, Wizards being "having a dark skinned race inherently evil kinda cringe now that we think about it...given, you know..." is kind of understandable enough to not bother me too much. Things change.

enthusiast
enthusiast

Yeah I don't think that's what wotc are doing either tbh.
I do think that there is a problem in America in particular with the overall political climate being really crazy and there's a lot of overreactions and reading really extreme interpretations into everything etc.
Like the whole '' everything is political '' thing is often incredibly toxic and quite shallow, people act as if just because you can read politics into something deliberately then it actually makes it super political and needs to be judged as such 110%.

But I think that in this case and in regards to the alignment issue it's more about just giving people more power to RP the character that they want.
I think that most people who play a certain race is still going to play it pretty traditionally and most of the characters in games will still be quite typical.
If you play an Orc for example then I think that in 9 out of 10 cases you're going to play it fairly stereotypiocally, but there's also people who want to play a more atypical Orc and the alignment system for example often got in the way of that.
My first character in Baldur's Gate 3 for example was a good Drow.

I have a lot of problems with wotc, I am not a fan of them as a company and a lot of what they're doing at all.
But I don't think that this was about some agenda or anything but more about just creative freedom for the players.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Kraydenvar

Eh, I don't feel anyway about it tbh. Like, Wizards being "having a dark skinned race inherently evil kinda cringe now that we think about it...given, you know..." is kind of understandable enough to not bother me too much. Things change.

Yeah, I also find it to be a bizarre thing to be upset about.

L
Lumign Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
L

Just like how just because America has a culture that glorifies violence and is full of religious fundamentalists doesn't mean that every American fantasise about being Charles Bronson in Death Wish and hates gay people.

Such "good" drow wouldn't pick Lolth as his patron in the first place. So?

K
K
Originally Posted by Warlocke

Always gonna be some folks trying to find something to be aggrieved about or buying into a culture war. At least its not as cringey as the steam forums in that regard here.

W
veteran
veteran
W

Such "good" drow wouldn't pick Lolth as his patron in the first place. So?

I don’t think anybody has argued that a good Drow would worship Lolth.

Always gonna be some folks trying to find something to be aggrieved about or buying into a culture war. At least its not as cringey as the steam forums in that regard here.

Nothing is as bad as the Steam forums. 😂

Last edited by Warlocke; 28/10/20 10:57 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
As far as I know the only way for a Drow Male to get a spec of divinity among the Dark Seldarine that are loyal to Lolth would be through Selvetarm. I'm surprised to hear Lolth Clerics aren't unique to Female Drow though. I hope that is fixed in the future smile

old hand
old hand
You can be anyone in this game. Even a bearded transgender gnome woman who worships Lolth. Choose who you've always wanted to be and make your dreams come true in the character editor.
[Linked Image]

Just so you know, I'm not upset about it. That said, I don't like changing a well established fantasy world to reflect some facet of current day real life. In FR, typical drow are incredibly racist. Dwarves are pretty racist too but not quite as bad as drow. There's no need to change that because the prevailing thought in modern day real life is that there is nothing worse than being racist. FR is a fantasy world and it's supposed to be a place/idea where you can go to escape real life for awhile.

What I am trying to say is it's ok if things are acceptable in fantasy worlds that are not acceptable in real life.

stranger
stranger

Just so you know, I'm not upset about it. That said, I don't like changing a well established fantasy world to reflect some facet of current day real life. In FR, typical drow are incredibly racist. Dwarves are pretty racist too but not quite as bad as drow. There's no need to change that because the prevailing thought in modern day real life is that there is nothing worse than being racist. FR is a fantasy world and it's supposed to be a place/idea where you can go to escape real life for awhile.

What I am trying to say is it's ok if things are acceptable in fantasy worlds that are not acceptable in real life.

Cultures are capable of shifting, both in the real world and in the context of a fantasy setting. There's no reason to believe that after hundreds of years of Lolth's infighting, no drow have had more than enough. Of course some have started building pockets of civilization that better suits their goals. It's written in the lore specifically that the infighting is designed to keep drow subservient, that Lolth doesn't trust men because of gods like Vhaeraun that preach equality, etc. I mean, Vhaeraun is also racist as fuck but there are drow gods like Eilistraee that are welcome among the Seladrine. Shit's been in the game since the 90s. These things already exist in some form, and if there's an outside motivation to shift things to something more gray, the argument shouldn't be "but this is how it's always been done!!"

You're not wrong. Being able to be a male lolth drow cleric is lore breaking, beings that if you choose to be a lolth-sworn drow, the description tells you that you were born and brought up in that society. Drow men would be raised to be soldiers or they would become wizards. Priestess and Clerics have political power, and men are only for breeding and dying for their priestesses.

addict
addict
I think Drow lore changed over time. The first official full description as far as I know (not far) was in 1978's Module D1-2, "Descent Into the Depths of the Earth" by Gygax. There it is written with incorrect punctuation:

"Most Drow clerics are female, and no upper limit to their level of ability is known, No male Drow cleric is able to go beyond 4th level."

It's all about the spiders ... the Drow are spiderists.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Argyle
I think Drow lore changed over time. The first official full description as far as I know (not far) was in 1978's Module D1-2, "Descent Into the Depths of the Earth" by Gygax. There it is written with incorrect punctuation:

"Most Drow clerics are female, and no upper limit to their level of ability is known, No male Drow cleric is able to go beyond 4th level."

a surprise awaits you in release when your drow cleric will be level 4 throughout the game due to your choice at the beginning
[Linked Image]

apprentice
apprentice

Absolutely this.

Not as rare as you seem to think. There's been good drow for a long time, just Drizzt managed to steal the spotlight. (I love Drizzt, honestly, but sometimes I wonder if his novels have been detrimental to the rest of the Forgotten Realms.)

Lolth is not the only drow deity. In fact, there is another deity in the list for BG3, Eilistraee, who is a Chaotic Good drow deity. She's had followers forever (because if she didn't have any, well, that's how gods die). So good or neutral drow are more common than you'd think. Additionally there are some drow cities where Lolth is not the premier deity or where the harsh matriarchal hierarchy does not exist (see Ched Nassad).

As for making them less evil because they're a dark skinned race, what nonsense are you talking about? In some ways, this is just making the drow more realistic - no one group of people is a monolith. Drow have had all sorts of "shades" to them from the get go - not just evil "shades".

Is this a tribute to the fight against gender discrimination?

Yes Its just a "tribute song" not the actual fight.

Last edited by DanteYoda; 29/10/20 06:13 AM.
Originally Posted by Argyle

a surprise awaits you in release when your drow cleric will be level 4 throughout the game due to your choice at the beginning
[Linked Image]

Now that would be truly something!

I approve!

stranger
stranger
I'd like the sub race of drow to matter more. I'd like to start off as a lloth sworn drow to then be given the option to deny lloth. It makes sense that after consistent exposure to the surface world on this adventure that my character would question his beliefs in his deity.

addict
addict

Oh god oh fuck

addict
addict

What? That S*CKS!!!

Did Disney buy Wizards of the Coast or what? What the hell happened?

No, WOTC IS WOTC under Hasbro.. Last 10 years social agenda sensibilities dictates their games. You can be HELL SURE they dictated some stuff to Larian in that BG3/DnD5 contract.
The last 10 years of Magic the gathering confirms this. And its getting worst.

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 29/10/20 09:22 AM.
Originally Posted by Zandilar

Absolutely this.

Not as rare as you seem to think. There's been good drow for a long time, just Drizzt managed to steal the spotlight. (I love Drizzt, honestly, but sometimes I wonder if his novels have been detrimental to the rest of the Forgotten Realms.)

Lolth is not the only drow deity. In fact, there is another deity in the list for BG3, Eilistraee, who is a Chaotic Good drow deity. She's had followers forever (because if she didn't have any, well, that's how gods die). So good or neutral drow are more common than you'd think. Additionally there are some drow cities where Lolth is not the premier deity or where the harsh matriarchal hierarchy does not exist (see Ched Nassad).

Your comment piqued my curiosity so I did some reading up on the Fandom Forgotten Realms wiki. According to the page for Drow on there, it does state that approximately 15% of drow were not evil but of that 15%, most were neutral, not good. It does mention Ellistraee being worshipped by the ones that were actually good but "the morally neutral drow's worship was split among Ghaunadaur, Lolth, Selvetarm, and Vhaeraun." I would be interested to learn what other notable good drow you are aware of besides the ones I mentioned earlier because the entry doesn't really mention any individuals in that category.

I also looked up Ched Nesad on there: https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Ched_Nasad since I knew that is where Rai-guy that I mentioned earlier is from.

According to that entry, and it's footnoted pretty well, Lloth is or (I guess was) indeed the primary deity there and the city was actually founded with Lloth's blessing by exiles from House Nasadra of Menzoberranzan. The article mentions no other deities besides Lloth and additionally states that the prevailing alignment of the city was NE and CE. It also mentions that while it was a matriarchal society, it wasn't as strict a matriarchy as Menzoberranzan so it concurs with you on that.

As for making them less evil because they're a dark skinned race, what nonsense are you talking about? In some ways, this is just making the drow more realistic - no one group of people is a monolith. Drow have had all sorts of "shades" to them from the get go - not just evil "shades".

So in my comments above I capitalized the word 'allegedly' precisely because that is just what I have been hearing on forums pertaining to this game. I haven't been involved in following lore changes from Wizards in quite some time so I don't have first hand knowledge of how the drow have evolved from strictly evil NPCs to what they are portrayed as today. I've seen it mentioned several times, had it just been a single instance I would have discounted the validity of it but it seems to be at least a somewhat widely held belief.

Anyway, I appreciate the discussion as it is interesting. Last night I didn't even play the game, just sat on here and discussed it which I also enjoy so thanks for indulging me.

Last edited by Osprey39; 29/10/20 09:27 AM.
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S

Have Fun smile!

First thing I noticed was that facial hair option was not barred for human women... (and it... works... as intended?....)

Just one question tho, did Larian do it because they thought it was funny or was it because of some law in Canada?

Coding in restrictions and checks for specific genders is extra work, you get brownie points with certain peoples, and other peoples can do bearded ladies for a laugh (and dwarves! Bearded female dwarves!) so I'm personally in the "0 f**ks given" camp for that

stranger
stranger
Wow!! People get worked up over the smallest things these days............Its a game and you can be a cleric of a "good" deity and still be a murder hobo because your choice of a god is just fluff for this game......same goes for male drow being clerics of the spider queen......its fluff. If it bothers you then don't play one

I
old hand
old hand
I
Originally Posted by Xatasha
Wow!! People get worked up over the smallest things these days............Its a game and you can be a cleric of a "good" deity and still be a murder hobo because your choice of a god is just fluff for this game......same goes for male drow being clerics of the spider queen......its fluff. If it bothers you then don't play one

It bothers people because it shows how little Larian cares about FR lore. Although its very possible that this is just possible because of early access. Its not as if it can't be easily implemented.
And at least in other D&D games I know clerics (paladins, monks) lost their powers when their alignment changed to something not compatible.

Last edited by Ixal; 29/10/20 11:27 AM.
R
old hand
old hand
R
Originally Posted by Ixal

It bothers people because it shows how little Larian cares about FR lore. Although its very possible that this is just possible because of early access. Its not as if it can't be easily implemented.
And at least in other D&D games I know clerics (paladins, monks) lost their powers when their alignment changed to something not compatible.

Well Wotc wanted them to remove the alignments so they did.

Originally Posted by Some_Twerp753

Have Fun smile!

Coding in restrictions and checks for specific genders is extra work, you get brownie points with certain peoples, and other peoples can do bearded ladies for a laugh (and dwarves! Bearded female dwarves!) so I'm personally in the "0 f**ks given" camp for that

Female dwarves in FR lore have beards as the norm. Fibbledorf Pwent is always trying to get Cattie-Brie, a human woman who is the adopted daughter of dwarf King Bruenor Battlehammer, to grow "a proper beard".

apprentice
apprentice
Quoting Demihuman Deities (from 1998, 2nd edition D&D, pg. 31)
"The clergy of Lolth includes dark elves(94%) and chitines (6%). Of the dark elves, 96% are female; there are male priests of Lolth (4%), but the Spider Queen very rarely allows them to rise above 7th level of experience."

Whoever keeps consistently insisting that Lolth does not permit male clerics quite frankly don't know what they are talking about. And also realize that our perspective of the worship of Lolth primarily comes from the lens of an inhabitant of the drow city of Menzoberranzan (through RA Salvatore's novels), but guess what, there are many other drow cities in the Underdark that worship Lolth in notedly different ways. And heresies and cults are also something that exists with many major deities, and many of those deities permit their existence provided they serve that deity's will or interests. Church organizations might be interested in stamping them out in order to maintain complete power over the worshippers, but the deities themselves generally welcome more worship as that in turn brings them more influence and power.

The Forgotten Realms is a complicated and nuanced world, not everything is as it seems. And there is a difference between the reality people in the world of Abeir Toril perceive and the actual cosmic truth of the universe.

And to share another quote from that book concerning humans worshipping Lolth.

"Lolth is a cruel, capricious goddess, thought by many to be insane. She delights in setting her worshipers at each other's throats, so that the strongest, most devious and most cruel survive to serve her. Lolth roams the Realms often, appearing in answer to the rituals of drow priests, and working whatever harm she can to the enemies of drow. (During the Time of Troubles, Lolth appeared in the northern city of Menzoberranzan for a short period of time.) The Spider Queen secretly wants to be worshiped by humans and elves of other races on the surface surface Realms, and sometimes journeys among their communities, whispering of the power Lolth can bring. Lolth is malicious in her dealings and coldly vicious in a fight. She enjoys both personally dealing and causing death, destruction, and painful torture. Even more, Lolth enjoys corrupting elves and humans to her service. Lolth can be kind and render aid to those she fancies-but she really cares only for herself; her favor and aid can never be relied on."

Last edited by deserk; 29/10/20 12:14 PM.
C
apprentice
apprentice
C
Ummm... I'm sorry to rain on your parade here, but whether male drow could become clerics of Lolth, changed back and forth over the years. The 2nd edition sourcebook "Demihuman Deities" states that this is possible, though rare (4% of the clergy are male), not all drow settlements will allow it, and males cannot advance beyond 7th level, but in those days practically any nonhuman had a level cap. The 3rd edition book "Faiths and Pantheons" stated that "all clerics are female". I never really played 4th edition, so I don't know what happened there, but I have not seen any restriction on males becoming clerics of Lolth in 5th edition. I could have missed it, of course, but I just went over the books, and have not seen such restriction.

mfr Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Surely the decision on male clerics rests with the goddess! She may just be having some fun at the character's expense.

Is it not written:

"We are but as private parts to the gods. They play with us for their pleasure."

Someone must have spiked her senna pod drink!
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Eluvian
I'd like the sub race of drow to matter more. I'd like to start off as a lloth sworn drow to then be given the option to deny lloth. It makes sense that after consistent exposure to the surface world on this adventure that my character would question his beliefs in his deity.

I support you, this is a great idea for those who started playing as a cleric of Lolth but then realized that it was too cruel

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Callimachus
Ummm... I'm sorry to rain on your parade here, but whether male drow could become clerics of Lolth, changed back and forth over the years. The 2nd edition sourcebook "Demihuman Deities" states that this is possible, though rare (4% of the clergy are male), not all drow settlements will allow it, and males cannot advance beyond 7th level, but in those days practically any nonhuman had a level cap. The 3rd edition book "Faiths and Pantheons" stated that "all clerics are female". I never really played 4th edition, so I don't know what happened there, but I have not seen any restriction on males becoming clerics of Lolth in 5th edition. I could have missed it, of course, but I just went over the books, and have not seen such restriction.

Well then this whole thread is kind of pointless, isn't it?

While the idea of hours of Drow specific content including quests to betray Lloth or complete her trials seems neat, it's probably unlikely we'll get any of that. If you want to deny Lloth pick the non-lloth drow, easy.

Hey, go with it! That would explain why he's not part of the society anymore, but Lolth is a goddess of Chaos and she loves when shit like this pops up. Hell, she loved it when Drizzt broke from Drow society and caused all kinds of trouble for them. Come up with a really cool backstory to go with it. Lolth doesn't mind, trust me. :P

apprentice
apprentice
This is actually not true (even going back to 2E). Male drow clerics could exist though they were extremely rare and did not usually get past level 6. I can't remember which supplement book has this bit...either the Menzobarranzen book or one of the Pantheon books.

Its not disrespecting lore, its assuming that people wont be butthurt by something they can chose not to do. Like.. if you dont want YOUR male drow to serve Lolth... don't? Rather than insisting that someone else not be able to do it.

Originally Posted by Some_Twerp753

Have Fun smile!

Female dwarves in FR lore have beards as the norm. Fibbledorf Pwent is always trying to get Cattie-Brie, a human woman who is the adopted daughter of dwarf King Bruenor Battlehammer, to grow "a proper beard".

Pwent is a fucking stupid character, and no, they do not have beards...

K
K
Originally Posted by Bossk_Hogg

Its not disrespecting lore, its assuming that people wont be butthurt by something they can chose not to do. Like.. if you dont want YOUR male drow to serve Lolth... don't? Rather than insisting that someone else not be able to do it.

That's the thing, being opposed because you feel something is disrespecting a tradition is a strange position. change is scary to some. Does this really affect me, the way I play or the overall lore? Not really. Same with alignments, doesn't really affect anything current in anyway, its not saying past evil characters are suddenly not.

Hey Mr. Anger Management...

Male dwarves were often bald and grew thick facial hair, which was sometimes used to display social status. Unusually for humanoids, both sexes naturally grew ample facial hair,[10] though the majority of shield dwarf females shaved their beards off.[11]

Source: https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Dwarf

addict
addict
I like it when there are "rules" that get broken. It's human nature that when someone tells you how something can't be, that you will instinctively go, "oh, yeah, is that so?" It's like Eddie Van Halen deciding it was OK to play keyboards on stage, despite everyone else saying that he shouldn't do that because he is a guitar hero. Yeah, Eddie Van Halen would've made a great Drow Cleric.

Male dwarves were often bald and grew thick facial hair, which was sometimes used to display social status. Unusually for humanoids, both sexes naturally grew ample facial hair,[10] though the majority of shield dwarf females shaved their beards off.[11]

You find me some official WOTC/TSR art with a bearded dwarf woman and we can talk. Its a stupid old joke that has been driven into the dirt by the same old farts who think a dwarf with a Scottish accent is the highlight of hilarity.

You find me some official WOTC/TSR art with a bearded dwarf woman and we can talk. Its a stupid old joke that has been driven into the dirt by the same old farts who think a dwarf with a Scottish accent is the highlight of hilarity.

Lol, don't ask me why I am continuing this silly argument as I'm not sure why myself, but....

https://archive.org/details/tsr09300addforgottenrealmsdwarvesdeepfr11/page/n6/mode/2up

Not art, but a source book written by the guy that created Forgotten Realms. Read the sub-section titled The Handsome Dwarf.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Didn’t female Dwarves in the original Baldur’s Gate games use the exact same sprites as the males?

L
Lumign Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
L

My remarks in this thread are not aimed at players but at Larian.

So far, from my perspective, one of the core strenghts of BG3 is the attention to details to character interaction depending on what your origin is.

Example : if you're a Gith, Shadowheart freaks out with whole different dialogue lines.

Such detail is what I would wish for a Male Drow Lolth cleric from Larian. For example, make drow NPC and some other NPC notice how unique you are and react accordingly. Drow lolth worshipping females want to kill you, Shadowheart and Gale have some dialogue lines ask you how you could become a cleric despite the "gender", etc.
*Maybe such feature is already in, or work in progress? I won't know, I didn't play further with this character.

Not just a character creation interface.

Drizzt is "awesome" because he is a character with story, background. My Trizzt good drow ranger character will suck because he is not.

Last edited by Lumign; 30/10/20 01:17 AM.

Lol, don't ask me why I am continuing this silly argument as I'm not sure why myself, but....

https://archive.org/details/tsr09300addforgottenrealmsdwarvesdeepfr11/page/n6/mode/2up

Not art, but a source book written by the guy that created Forgotten Realms. Read the sub-section titled The Handsome Dwarf.

Not seeing any art... It's a dumb in joke. They note that a few can grow beards (like humans), but not all have them.

Yeah, I said there was no art. It is not a joke though. That was a 2nd edition sourcebook and it's written by the same guy, Ed Greenwood, that created Forgotten Realms. Disputing what that book says is kind of like saying something Tolkien wrote about Middle Earth is wrong.

enthusiast
enthusiast
there are literally male clerics of lolth in the books, they're super rare, but it does happen.

the wont have be trained in arach tinilith or its equivalent in other cities though.

Last edited by blindhamster; 30/10/20 10:20 AM.
stranger
stranger

No, its a game mechanic that is what you are upset with......See it is something you as a player can overcome......don't like and what to go with the "lore" then don't roll one. Its not a big deal......and do you see any NPC male drow clerics? Didn't think so

addict
addict
As has been pointed out, all sources prior to 3e confirm that male Drow can be Lolth clerics.

The 2e Menzoberranzan play aid notes that Lolth does not trust men as clerics ( believing them more likely to be agents of other deities ), and instructs that they be continually used in dangerous assignments in the service of Lolth until they die. As a consequence, it also notes that few male clerics survive beyond 4th Level.

As far as I can recall, the Drow were invented by Gygax for his ADnD Greyhawk campaign setting, very loosely based on the folklore Trow/Dtrow derived from DokkAlfar of Norse mythology. They appeared in 7 early adventure modules ( G1, G2, G3, D1, D2, D3, and Q1 ), all of which I have...somewhere.

The Drow did not originally exist in Ed Greenwood's Forgotten Realms, and so were retrofitted. So, it is likely that the original concept has changed over time.

apprentice
apprentice
Heya,

Your comment piqued my curiosity so I did some reading up on the Fandom Forgotten Realms wiki. According to the page for Drow on there, it does state that approximately 15% of drow were not evil but of that 15%, most were neutral, not good. It does mention Ellistraee being worshipped by the ones that were actually good but "the morally neutral drow's worship was split among Ghaunadaur, Lolth, Selvetarm, and Vhaeraun." I would be interested to learn what other notable good drow you are aware of besides the ones I mentioned earlier because the entry doesn't really mention any individuals in that category.

I also looked up Ched Nesad on there: https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Ched_Nasad since I knew that is where Rai-guy that I mentioned earlier is from.

According to that entry, and it's footnoted pretty well, Lloth is or (I guess was) indeed the primary deity there and the city was actually founded with Lloth's blessing by exiles from House Nasadra of Menzoberranzan. The article mentions no other deities besides Lloth and additionally states that the prevailing alignment of the city was NE and CE. It also mentions that while it was a matriarchal society, it wasn't as strict a matriarchy as Menzoberranzan so it concurs with you on that.

I think you missed the post spellplague this:

Originally Posted by FR Fandom Wiki
The council was considered an abomination by the one in Menzoberranzan, because House Teh'Kinrellz's male members held power that equaled and sometimes exceeded the one owned by the female clerics of Lolth.

It might be just that one house, though. Not sure how that would work if the other houses didn't like/want it to be like that... so who knows.

Also, not all good drow worship Eilistraee. The main two I can think of is Drizzt (who worshps Meilikki) and Liriel Baenre (who worships Mystra). But as I said in my original post, no group of people are a monolith.

So in my comments above I capitalized the word 'allegedly' precisely because that is just what I have been hearing on forums pertaining to this game. I haven't been involved in following lore changes from Wizards in quite some time so I don't have first hand knowledge of how the drow have evolved from strictly evil NPCs to what they are portrayed as today. I've seen it mentioned several times, had it just been a single instance I would have discounted the validity of it but it seems to be at least a somewhat widely held belief.

Anyway, I appreciate the discussion as it is interesting. Last night I didn't even play the game, just sat on here and discussed it which I also enjoy so thanks for indulging me.

I have been listening to the latest Drizzt trilogy recently (audiobooks are great). Spoilers for the most recent trilogy.

Drizzt has been pondering the very glacial change in the Drow people. He, being the SJW that he is (;)), is optimistic that the drow might eventually discard Lolth and become a more benevolent people overall. I am also interested in the behaviours of certain Drow in the books, like Yvonnel Baenre II, who definitely seems to be becoming more compassionate and kind, despite her memories of the original Yvonnel and Lolth's apparent favour. (She's doing good acts, using her divine granted powers to do good things, and Lolth is still granting her spells.)... We also have the return of Zaknafein, who was neutral tending towards good drow, and still seems to have that sense of justice with him (his bloodlust/thirst regarding priestesses of Lolth is quite understandable, which is probably what keeps him from being properly considered good).

Other examples of good drow are Qilue Velardorn, who is now a weave ghost. But her followers in the Promenade temple to Eilistraee in the Undermountain, are mostly good and mostly drow. Liriel Baenre is a good drow mystic theurge (cleric/mage) who follows Mystra, who I think is still wandering around the surface somewhere. I am also most certain that there are a number of more good than evil drow within the organisation of Bregan D'arth.

It's always good to have a civil discussion. smile

Z.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard