Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
Lumign Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
L
To my knowledge in Faerun, Drow male cannot become a Cleric of Lolth. Which is one of the key characteristics of a typical evil Drow society which is predominantly sexist and racist.

Surely it is a mistake of Larian and it will be fixed, right?

Or did the Lore change to be more "SWJ PC"?

Last edited by Lumign; 28/10/20 01:46 PM.
Drow are no longer evil and have embraced neo-liberal dogma

N
old hand
old hand
N
I don't know. What do the D&D 5e rules say about it? Maybe it has become possible. After all, captain marvel is a girl now. Progressist values might have reached the underdark too.

Last edited by Nyanko; 28/10/20 01:52 PM.
L
Lumign Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
L

What? That S*CKS!!!

Did Disney buy Wizards of the Coast or what? What the hell happened?

Last edited by Lumign; 28/10/20 01:54 PM.
S
veteran
veteran
S
obviously its impossible in the lore, but the game engine allows it because theres no race class restrictions.
Admittedly tho its something they ought to patch out.

thing is tho, you always could make deity choices that make no sense in DnD games.
in nwn 2 you could worship kossuth and eilistrae and lolth just the same

N
old hand
old hand
N
Honestly, my first character was a drow priestess of Lolth because in my mind, it wasn't possible for a male. So good find, I'd say XD

S
stranger
stranger
S
OP If it makes you feel any better Elves still apparently can't grow facial hair, but Halflings of both sexes can now. So there is that.

Have Fun smile!

Last edited by SimDoughnut; 28/10/20 02:05 PM.
I think its funny, you could RP it as "Male Drow priest exiled by his people for being a role swapper... was off on his own when abducted by the Mindflayers"

L
Lumign Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
L
Originally Posted by SimDoughnut
OP If it makes you feel any better Elves still apparently can't grow facial hair, but Halflings of both sexes can now. So there is that.

Have Fun smile!

First thing I noticed was that facial hair option was not barred for human women... (and it... works... as intended?....)

Just one question tho, did Larian do it because they thought it was funny or was it because of some law in Canada?

Last edited by Lumign; 28/10/20 02:13 PM.
old hand
old hand

Is this a tribute to the fight against gender discrimination?

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
addict
addict
I think certain concepts underlying the Drow society were derived from spider behaviors in the real world. In certain spider species, the females are physically superior to the males, and sometimes they eat the males after mating! The Drow worship Lolth the Spider Queen, so it makes sense that their social behaviors correlate more to the spider's way of living. In our digital gaming world, anyone can be anything without restriction. Sometimes I think that overcoming character limitations was originally meant to be part of the fun of the game, because that sort of connects to experiences most of us have in our lives.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by pill0ws

Neo-liberalism is a market-oriented economic theory developed by (among others) Milton Friedman and is associated with politicians like Margaret Thatcher and Ronald Reagan. It advocates deregulation and the expansion of the marketplace to its maximum possible reach, including both geographic territory and aspects of personal identity (think of the way contemporary marketing campaigns are usually focusing on a lifestyle rather than a product, even though the product is Nike shoes or BMWs).

Now you all can use the correct terminology while you’re complaining. 😂

Last edited by Warlocke; 28/10/20 02:25 PM.
Originally Posted by Lumign
To my knowledge in Faerun, Drow male cannot become a Cleric of Lolth. Which is one of the key characteristics of a typical evil Drow society which is predominantly sexist and racist.

Surely it is a mistake of Larian and it will be fixed, right?

Or did the Lore change to be more "SWJ PC"?

In The Silent Blade (1998, 11th book in the Drizzt collection) there is a male Drow cleric (of Lolth) wizard hybrid.

Last edited by Nezix; 28/10/20 02:30 PM.
P
P
In general: players in D&D shouldn't be limited by lore restrictions. A male cleric of Lolth is an oddity, but so are all player characters. They're the heroes. As a DM, when someone says they want to do something like this, the answer is not "you can't", it's "okay, and this is what that will entail..."

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Postwave
In general: players in D&D shouldn't be limited by lore restrictions. A male cleric of Lolth is an oddity, but so are all player characters. They're the heroes. As a DM, when someone says they want to do something like this, the answer is not "you can't", it's "okay, and this is what that will entail..."

thank you, +1 to this

L
Lumign Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
L

In that case, let my human paladin worship Lolth too, because why not?

No, I dare say. Not like this. Not for free.

How about a compromise? Let a player create a Male Drow Cleric of Lolth, but not without consequences. (Lolth would want your PC to die, so some penalties/randomness in spells, curses like you transform to spider while resting(?) for example, etc.) That might at least make things interesting.

Last edited by Lumign; 28/10/20 02:38 PM.
old hand
old hand

How about a compromise? Let a player create a Male Drow Cleric of Lolth, but not without consequences. (Lolth would want your PC to die, so some penalties/randomness in spells, curses like you transform to spider while resting(?) for example, etc.) That might at least make things interesting.

And let's also introduce The Test of Lolth into the game so that those who play for Drow Lolth play as in hardcore mode
https://www.realmshelps.net/charbuild/races/elf/drow2.shtml

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
L
Lumign Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
L
Originally Posted by OneManArmy

And let's also introduce The Test of Lolth into the game so that those who play for Drow Lolth play as in hardcore mode
https://www.realmshelps.net/charbuild/races/elf/drow2.shtml

Such attentions to details would only make this almost perfect game perfecter.

Last edited by Lumign; 28/10/20 02:42 PM.
N
old hand
old hand
N

To a certain extent I would agree. But the fact cleric powers are bestowed by a goddess, we could say that if one of her tenets specifies clerics should only be females, and you would allow a male cleric in your D&D campaign, it would entail one of these three principles:

1) Menzoberranzan priestesses are liars who hide to the males the fact they could, if they so wanted, become priests of Lolth, thus no such tenet exists.

2) In your campaign, the character has done a special and exceptional deed lore wise which would have allowed him to become a priest of Lolth.

3) You don't care about the drow lore at all and you do what you want as a DM with your campaign.

Everyone of them is perfectly fine, but the latter is kind of problematic with a game which advertises it follows the D&D 5e lore and rules.

Last edited by Nyanko; 28/10/20 02:50 PM.
S
veteran
veteran
S
Warlocke hes right tho.
Progressivism has been heavily adopted by Neoliberals to create a smokescreen.

Pretty easy to do crony capitalism when the pro worker people are busy debating toilets : ^)

>where do powers come from
Dont read Elder Evils then.
its gonna break your perception of things. Then again, might not actually be relevant to Forgotten Realms, tho its been implied to play into the very reason the wall of the Faithless is there (Aka: if the mortal sfigure out they dont actually need the gods for divine magic to work theres no reason to hold em ransom anymore)

Either way i dotn think a male cleric of lolth makes any sense, especialy a lolthsworn drow.
Theres the Punk Rock approach to Character building wehre you go "Fuck you im gonna be a Chaotic Evil Paladin" in 5e, but i think Male Lolth cleric is a bit too Punk Rock.

Last edited by Sordak; 28/10/20 02:52 PM.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard