Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#720161 28/10/20 11:19 AM
Rouoko Offline OP
OP Offline
Why every time when I'm creating new character my ability to dispose is always 27?

If I remember in D&D you roll 4k6 and chose 3 with biggest numbers. But in character creator we always have this same.

T
apprentice
apprentice
T
Because they went with the point buy system.

Last edited by TheOtter; 28/10/20 11:30 AM.
Rouoko Offline OP
OP Offline
That explain why my character is so stupid, and have no charisma at all and every roll is loss. We can only make character that can me in best scenario medicore. So you cannot do a stupid berserk or mage with weak body.

N
old hand
old hand
N
They said they were thinking about implementing it but it will come later on in EA.

veteran
veteran
Because that's exactly how the "buy point" system is supposed to work and because the alternate method of rolling for stats is not implemented yet (but it's coming).

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Rouoko Offline OP
OP Offline
I hope, because I really want to do elf with low agility and big body.

veteran
veteran
I enjoyed it in BG. I wish more games would do it

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
I know many people don't use Ability rolling anymore, points buy or standard array is quite popular.
Points buy is also "easier" to get you started. And in most cases it's the most fair but also most versatile solution. Standard Array is nice, but you are locked into that one array.

---

Personally I don't think rolling really works well in a computer game. And BG1 really shows why, because you'll just reroll to you have the stats you want. Where as at the table top you have to keep what you get, bad or not.

An alternative my gaming group has used is "Everyone rolls up an array, DM included, and players can pick the array they want from the 4-6 arrays". This gives the option to get some high stats, but also prevents the low stat characters.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Rouoko

Can’t you distribute attribute points as you wish?

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Wormerine

You can, within limits. Elves can't go above 15 CON or below 8 DEX, whereas random rolls can result in more wild rolls. Rolling for attributes is likely to be added at some point. I hope, however, that it doesn't just allow unlimited rerolls like in BG1&2, where you only were interested in the "attribute points combined" and then could click - and + to spread those points in any way you liked. Which was pretty much point buy, just with the total amount of points dependent on your willpower (how long you were willing to keep rerolling to hit 93 attribute points or whatever instead of average 80).

Originally Posted by Mythago
Originally Posted by Wormerine

You can, within limits. Elves can't go above 15 CON or below 8 DEX, whereas random rolls can result in more wild rolls. Rolling for attributes is likely to be added at some point. I hope, however, that it doesn't just allow unlimited rerolls like in BG1&2, where you only were interested in the "attribute points combined" and then could click - and + to spread those points in any way you liked. Which was pretty much point buy, just with the total amount of points dependent on your willpower (how long you were willing to keep rerolling to hit 93 attribute points or whatever instead of average 80).

+1 to re-roll but without the option of re-distributing your ability points (but being able to assign each roll to an ability of choice).

veteran
veteran
Solasta did it really well, you roll all the stats and can't change the results, but can distribute each dice to the stat you want

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
Rouoko Offline OP
OP Offline
Just back to moim menu and create character again. Currenpy option where you can go with stats below 9 and over 15 is madness. For example you want make a highborn bard. So he have super high charisma high inteligence and wisdom and very low CON becauseu his mother always bad weak body so he get it too. cannot even make a non charismatic dwarf. So points in charisma are wasted because limit. Who need charisma on evil dwarf.

D
old hand
old hand
D
Bg1 and 2 system was kind of flawed honestly. If you had an hour to burn ad were invested enough could start with multiple 18 stats at character creation.

Who needs a party when your PC can do everything? 😂

Rouoko Offline OP
OP Offline
In currently game you no need party because they do nothing. They are exp leechers. I always talk as a PC because I’m leader of group. I uderstand that you cannot be the best but why my fighther need to put 9 points in inteligence? Three will be enough. I will weak that intelect circlet.

veteran
veteran
In currently game you no need party because they do nothing. They are exp leechers. I always talk as a PC because I’m leader of group. I uderstand that you cannot be the best but why my fighther need to put 9 points in inteligence? Three will be enough. I will weak that intelect circlet.

Are you talking about BG3? Because the EXACT opposite is true.
Currently in the game you get the exact same amount of exp-per-person regardless if you are playing solo or with a full party.

To be even more specific, the mechanic is that only your main character gains exp (which is always the same amount regardless of your group) and everyone else just automatically levels up to perfect parity with you.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Rouoko Offline OP
OP Offline
But still they are useless. You can easy play game in solo mode. And some players have issue how angry are those npc. Ok so exp is independend so why I shoud pick them if they level is always this same as my?

veteran
veteran
You are going off on a tangent on something completely unrelated and I have absolutely no interested in indulging in it.

The point is that you can have a full party (which means four times the manpower) at absolutely no price. Period.

stranger
stranger
Gotta spam that roll button till I get two 18's, then it's time for my Githyanki cleric of Vlaakith. I do that in D&D, if I roll high, I'm going to play whatever I want, the race ability bonuses no longer matter.

Better yet, if they did away with the race ability modifiers, it wouldn't matter anymore if we rolled dice or used point buy.

stranger
stranger
The fix point pool comes out of the organized play.. conventions and game store games.. So there is no DM to approve your character.. Therefore these point buy rules to force all players to have balanced and equal characters basically. Most online character builds assume point buy or standard array because then the build can be used by all.

BG3 should have an option to roll stats, but...
- it should disable achievements if you use it.
- and the game should be balanced around point buy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard