Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
J
Have just picked up early access and on the character creation screen, there is a ton of information about each class for their starting level. I am not overly familiar with the 5th edition rules or handbook but wonder whether there is a place for some tab on what becomes available to each class as it levels up. I am reluctant to use the term talent tree (as I know that isn't the case) but for veterans to D&D and know the manual inside and out, they can design characters knowing what new attributes become available as you level up ahead of time.

M
M
Even for the veterans it's unclear as a ton of core mechanics have changed, abilities have been removed and added - I've seen plenty of people asking for a handbook for BG3 smile

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Originally Posted by Jarvisone
Have just picked up early access and on the character creation screen, there is a ton of information about each class for their starting level. I am not overly familiar with the 5th edition rules or handbook but wonder whether there is a place for some tab on what becomes available to each class as it levels up. I am reluctant to use the term talent tree (as I know that isn't the case) but for veterans to D&D and know the manual inside and out, they can design characters knowing what new attributes become available as you level up ahead of time.

When you actually go to level up the choices will become available to you. You can check out all the different available options to choose from before actually selecting them. Beyond that its just trial and error to find out what works best for you.

On a side note, I was not up on 5e myself when I started playing this. In fact I hadnt touched anything D&D in over 30 years since AD&D 1st edition. So I did grab the Players Handbook for 5th edition to familiarize myself with the 5e rules, and I gotta say, its a treasure trove of useful information, and even being 30 years behind the times I was able to to understand everything. Its really clear and concise. Definitely worth checking out.

Last edited by DarkRob316; 28/10/20 08:36 AM.
Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
The internet has several D&D 5e sites that can guide you in the right direction for the base classes. Just make sure that you aren't reading a homebrew site.

veteran
veteran
Just look at video on youtube.

It's not 100% accurate because Larian changed a few things but it will give you clue and an overview of what your class will be able to do.

I guess WolfheartFPS did it pretty well in EN before EA's launch.
I try to do it well in FR smile

Last edited by Maximuuus; 28/10/20 04:59 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
I would suggest dndbeyond.com then at the top Game Rules -> Classes -> Pick a class. On the left side of the screen for the class you choose is a index, click the "Creating a ClassName" and under that you'll see something like "The ClassName Table." Click that to jump there and that should give you a general idea and let you explore further.

Keep in mind:
  • There are a few things that are purposely changed
  • There are bugs (like sneak attack damage for Rogue is suppose to increase over time, and currently doesn't in EA)
  • There are many missing classes and class specializations that you can't choose yet. And furthermore ignore anything tagged (UA)
  • Level 4 is the cap in EA right now.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Nezix

[*]There are bugs (like sneak attack damage for Rogue is suppose to increase over time, and currently doesn't in EA)

What do you mean ? They actually increase with your character's level (at least if Larian's formula in the log is implemented)

Last edited by Maximuuus; 28/10/20 05:28 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
Originally Posted by Maximuuus

[*]There are bugs (like sneak attack damage for Rogue is suppose to increase over time, and currently doesn't in EA)

What do you mean ? They actually increase with your character's level (at least if Larian's formula in the log is implemented)

Sneak attack damage is suppose to add an extra 1d6 every other level. So 2d6 at level 3, 3d6 at level 5, etc. At least when I played EA it wasn't increasing at level 3. This is a rogue's way of staying roughly on par with other melee classes who get extra attacks at 5th level (and sometimes beyond) where the rogue does not get extra attacks.

Last edited by Nezix; 28/10/20 05:54 PM.
veteran
veteran
Sneak attack damage is suppose to add an extra 1d6 every other level. So 2d6 at level 3, 3d6 at level 5, etc. At least when I played EA it wasn't increasing at level 3. This is a rogue's way of staying roughly on par with other melee classes who get extra attacks at 5th level (and sometimes beyond) where the rogue does not get extra attacks.

It does increase. The calculation is just weird. At level 3 the calculation is [1d6]*2 sneak attack damage instead of 2d6. This results in much larger variance in sneak attack damage.

Link Copied to Clipboard