Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Tuco
Originally Posted by Riandor
Yeah it is very much EARLY Early Access
As I said, it feels almost like a final product compared to how DOS 2 was at the beginning of its EA.
Technical issues are not a concern, bug fixing should not be anyone's genuine concern, more polish rounding up the rough edges will come 100% and I see absolutely no use in pretending otherwise.

What worries me is what they are going to do in terms of core design. How the game will play, if they will ever address some of the shortcoming introduced by their mechanical changes*, the inadequacies of the UI.
Not the level of embellishment that they will add on top, which is pretty much a given.

* frankly I'm not even in the group that worries particularly about "sticking with 5th ed. no matter what". The problem I have with some gameplay loops and potential exploits is that they are goofy and nonsensical, not that they are not "true to to the source".

Agree.

Originally Posted by Ixal
Originally Posted by Riandor
Yeah it is very much EARLY Early Access, but actually they stated up front EA would only ever be Act1, witht he promise of the full game at 1.0 release.
So even with the core mechanics fixed and polish and classes etc... we won't have the full game at all in EA, that's what I paid for.

Not really. This is already an early beta to be honest.
The mechanics and system already stands, at least I do not see that Larian has the intention to change anything like removing D:OS influences and such, and all that is left is bugfixes and adding more content.

Disagree.
We already saw just prior to release of EA changes based upon our feedback, notably the 3rd person narrative. There are supposedly 11 months and 1 week (give or take) until so called planned 1.0 release, no game stays in Beta that long!

That's not to say that I expect all of the main topic to be fixed, but that's not the argument here really, it's still about comms and acknowledging or not, what we as a community have given as feedback.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Originally Posted by The Composer
The first few weeks have dominantly been about working to make sure that blockers are fixed first (crashes, saves corrupting or being unable to load, bugs that severely cripples some players' ability to play the game).

I suppose it's also important to point out that while Larian is a big group of people now, not all of them are working on Early Access. One portion works on maintenance, polish and implementing content to EA, while the rest works on actually finishing up the game. And not all of them are involved in writing community updates. In fact you'd count that on less than a hand. Then there's the nuance of corporation and communications, further complicated by Covid and different people working from home, all over the world.

So while processing feedback is fairly easy, I've collected about 80 pages from Discord and the feedback form from the game launcher has seen pages upon pages of feedback as well - Processing that, forwarding it and going through internal discussions, decisions, and then starting to map out what you may start talking about, is not something that's done in a week.

There's a lot more nuance to it than that, but I've tried my best to simplify the gist of it down to a few lines.

What I can tell you though, is that -so much feedback- have gone through the gates, that not only will just reading through it take time, but discussing it would take significantly longer. And only then can you start deciding on additions/changes - At least of what is based on player feedback.

Hopefully my ramblings are found worthwhile at least to some 🙈

Thank you for this post. I think a lot of us were looking for this type of comment from the Community Update and were disappointed when there wasn't one.

+1

enthusiast
enthusiast
I kinda agree. EA has no real "how far it should be" apart from being playable more or less stable. That it does. The less done a game is for EA the longer it will take till release and the greater the risk of losing customers. We'll see.

That they correct graphic bugs etc. atm kinda confuses me. Just this morning i read an article about the delay of cyberpunk2077. Something along: Games are highly complex structures and even graphic changes can have an impact on other systems etc.

Personally i think game mechanics should work before all else. After that you can go back to fixing graphics etc. But maybe they attack it from another angle. I am not enough of a programmer to give a valid evaluation. Beeing an engineer i'd say make the car run before you paint it smile

addict
addict
Originally Posted by UnknownEvil
I kinda agree. EA has no real "how far it should be" apart from being playable more or less stable. That it does. The less done a game is for EA the longer it will take till release and the greater the risk of losing customers. We'll see.

That they correct graphic bugs etc. atm kinda confuses me. Just this morning i read an article about the delay of cyberpunk2077. Something along: Games are highly complex structures and even graphic changes can have an impact on other systems etc.

Personally i think game mechanics should work before all else. After that you can go back to fixing graphics etc. But maybe they attack it from another angle. I am not enough of a programmer to give a valid evaluation. Beeing an engineer i'd say make the car run before you paint it smile

Programming for me is like making a sandwich. You can taste the ham and sugar separately and figure out it tastes well. Then you decide to put the two together. And you discover the taste of sweet ham. A taste you are to never forget anymore. A taste you didn't want to ever discover.

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Argonaut
@Vhaldez

I backed DivOS and DivOS2. They doubled back on promises that where bought and paid for and ignored community feedback even by people who had paid a premium for that privilege. It wasn't just DivOS2 EA. I genuinely do not understand how people can still defend Larian in this day and age.

Originally Posted by Argonaut
Of course they aren't.

They didn't listen during DivOS development and they didn't listen during DivOS2 development. This is the age of social media and they could release a statement that would placate everyone within a few seconds. Most companies have PR specifically to do this and are still duplicitous. They know this will sell like DivOS and DivOS2 and they've already cashed in on BG3 pretty hard with a legal caveat in case they decide to never finish it.

I feel like the two of you failed to remember that, and please correct me if I'm wrong, literally a couple months before launch, they decided to do voiceovers for the entire game despite them saying that they weren't going to do it (Due to both budget and time constraints).
They went ahead and did it anyway because enough people asked for it and told them directly that the game would be significantly worse if it didn't have voice acting.
That's a massive undertaking for the short time they had left.

vel Offline
Originally Posted by Darth Rauko
So is Larian actually listening to feedback here?
NO

Yes.

This and The Composer's other post are the best posts in this thread.

https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showthreaded&Number=719776

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by vel
Originally Posted by Darth Rauko
So is Larian actually listening to feedback here?
NO

Yes.

This and The Composer's other post are the best posts in this thread.

https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showthreaded&Number=719776

I missed this comment and I actually think it's exactly what I wanted to hear. It's a shame we had to whine so much for them to respond

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
old hand
old hand
I truly HOPE Larian listens well to the fanbase =)

enthusiast
enthusiast
Here is part of The Problem (tm) with The Composer's response:

We know different people work on different elements of the game. The person doing facial animations doesn't really care whether or not every fight involves overpowered surfaces. They can do their job regardless.

BUT, and this is why I think at least some of us are very worried, some of the changes the community is clamoring for will require core mechanical changes that will significantly alter how encounters and combat are designed. The longer people at Larian work with the current mechanics, the greater amount of work will be required to undertake to adjust if the fixes are made.

That is disheartening because it means the more time passes, the less likely we are to see substantial changes to the mechanics, due to the reasoning that 'changing this mechanic would require too much additional effort now'. This is why people are pushing so hard to get responses and changes incorporated, because the longer we wait the less likely the changes are to be implemented.

T
stranger
stranger
T
And for the record a year aint a hell of a lot of time. Not for a game as large as Larian claims this one is.

old hand
old hand
It looks like a miracle happened and Larian read this and other topics, watch their video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Tuco
I never experienced a single client crash so far, for what it matters.

I've had a handful, but they were all in "busy" areas and I suspect my now quite old graphics card (R9 390X... it was cool once) doesn't help. And keyboard polling can be a bit slow so I've learnt to hold e.g. N or SPACE down until it responds.

[positive bit redacted as I sounded a bit fangirly]

J'aime le fromage.
D
D
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
It looks like a miracle happened and Larian read this and other topics, watch their video

Looks like I can still be too hasty not to check the youtube URL before clicking

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert

I was going to complain about you not using my newly fixed video embedding but realised that there are spoilers therein.

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran

Stop it lol.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Abits

Stop it lol.

Never gonna give this up

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Abits

Stop it lol.

Never gonna give this up

Wildly off-topic, his appearance where Grohl saw him at a concert and said "dude want to do a song with us" and pulled him, no warning, into a concert is amazing
https://youtu.be/IdkCEioCp24

and his choir appearance was awesome

https://youtu.be/dJRsWJqDjFE

legit good singer, I love that guy

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Orbax

I hate to admit that I really disliked that song when it first charted, but yeah, he's a great singer and a genuinely nice guy too. He's taken all this in really good humour.

J'aime le fromage.
T
stranger
stranger
T
Originally Posted by vometia
Originally Posted by Orbax

I hate to admit that I really disliked that song when it first charted, but yeah, he's a great singer and a genuinely nice guy too. He's taken all this in really good humour.

+1

Same lol.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Larian is not looking at this forum. They are on Reddit gathering feedback

Meanwhile in today’s Reddit trending topics

“I made a Shadowheart salad-fingers cosplay, I hope you enjoy!“

Farewell smile

Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard