Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Hello there!

I'd like to start with the fact that I'm new to the 'heavy-rpg' genre. I played abit of Dos2, and I stopped somewhere in act 2.

Sadly with Baldur's Gate 3, I find myself running into the same 'problems' I ran in Dos2, which is me clicking too many times the "Load last save" button.

I don't know wether that's the style of gameplay I should experience or not, since the game doesn't seem to be designed for this type of gameplay.

I find myself running constantly into situations like:
- Failing on a dialogue option which triggers an entire camp to ambush my party.
- Mistakenly stepping on a trap which wipes my party.
- Getting ambushed by a gang which outnumbers me by alot.
- plenty of other unintended situations that end up killing me completely.

In Baldur's Gate 3, like in Dos2, you enter large battles which take ages to complete. For some reason I always get a feeling of "I surely did something wrong to cause this fight of 100 enemies against my 4-man party..."
Right now, I'm basically stuck with
Me being stuck inside the defiled cave in the Goblin Camp, only to be ambushed by the entire camp as I go out.
, which in Dos2 I felt the same with
Being ambushed by a skeletons together with the void creature in the swamp
and even during
The fight against Alexander and the ship sequence after

Should the gameplay feel like a Dark Souls game, where you just wipe over and over until you realise how it should be done? Or it's just me not knowing how things should be done? (which totally might be the case lol)

For now these are my main problems with these games, and I geniunly feel like I'm playing it just.... wrong.

I'd love to hear your experiences, tips, rants, or whatever helps clarify me on wtf I'm doing so wrong.

Have a nice one!

Last edited by Magiclaw; 29/10/20 12:00 AM.
W
veteran
veteran
W
They should add the option to sneak out of the top of the temple if you didn’t enter that way.

You can go further into the temple into the beginning of the underdark and use the teleportation circle to fast travel. I know you could also just fast travel from the map, but it feels less like cheap exploit this way.

I would also like a feature where the game autopauses when a trap is detected like in BG1 and 2.

That said, I haven’t really had a big problem needing to reload much.

enthusiast
enthusiast
The game has some problem but I think it's pretty easy atm smile
I don't know which genre you are used to play, maybe you are not too familiar with turn based games? Because sure, sometimes you are gonna step into a trap or fail a conversation but I think it's gonna be fatal just 1/10 times, so I think combat is the first reason for you to die. Am I right?

M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Played WoW, Soulsborne games, Witcher, Skyrim... those types of games. I play D&D aswell, so I'm mostly familiar with the ruleset and how combat should work.

I feel certain actions I make in the game cause such unexpected extreme results, which I have no choice but to reload.

The fights themselves, some fights are piss easy, some I'm so outnumbered, that even after killing 10 enemies (which does take like 10 minutes because the amount of time for each enemy to act) still more arrive and just stomp over my party which is basically 10 minutes down to the dump. The difficulty is so bumpy and unexpected, that I'm abit lost on where I should really go.

Another location I experience the same is:
Going into the Hag's cave, to be encountered by her servants who hit like trucks, while the floor itself explode from a single arrow by the enemy side

With encounters that I walk into an ambush, only for the enemy side to trigger a trap which basically lowers my party's HP to a single number amount, I have no choice but to reload.

Don't feel bad, it sounds like you're kind of new to this type of game. That being said, this game is not at all difficult to those with more experience, so hopefully with some tips you'll do better and have more fun.

First, I think this person's post is pretty similar, so you may find the tips within pretty helpful: https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=93489&Number=718156#Post718156
There is really not a specific way to beat things like in Dark Souls, these games actually give you tons of flexibility.

It's really hard to know what you're doing wrong without watching you play. But I'll try to make some helpful guesses / hints:
  • Focus fire enemies - The faster you eliminate an enemy the faster and easier combat goes. So don't attack a different enemy with each character. One less enemy taking turns, hitting you, etc.
  • Positioning - If you know you're going to start a fight, unlink your team and get them into position as best you can. Move the tank type in the front, get the ranged ones up high (if that's an option you can do without triggering a dialog). Use sneak to help with this.
  • Use crown control - maybe set up a bottle neck or just look for a clump of enemies to use grease, web, or some other hindering effect on so they waste their turns.
  • Use consumables like resistance potions, scrolls, etc. These are abundant and completely not necessary but they're there to help you so don't worry about hording them.
  • Identify the threats - sometimes the boss isn't the important one. Maybe you should be hitting that goblin shaman who keeps using Bless on the other goblins. Breaking his concentration will waste part of what he did and remove a really powerful buff from the other enemies.
  • Ask questions - if you don't understand why you had disadvantage attacking, take some screenshots and ask. Understanding the mechanics is really important to choosing the tools within your toolbox to deploy in a fight.

I hope that helps!

Last edited by Nezix; 28/10/20 08:55 PM.
M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
1st of all, thanks for the reply! Plenty of useful tips that I'll pay in mind in my next battle.

In addition, my problems which are outside of combat are usually unexpected results which leave me no choice but to reload.

Walking into an ambush, stepping on a trap, clicking on something which raise the earth to the skies... I'd like to know how to expect those traps sooner, how to prepare myself from the upcoming ambush, etc, without having to reload and try again based on my previous save.

If I had a chance against those ambushes, then I don't mind just keep going, but since I'm so outnumbered at the very beginning, what other choice do I have but to reload?

W
veteran
veteran
W
What ambushes are you talking about? I know there is the ambush at the entrance to the blighted town. I didn’t find that particularly hard, but once you get ambushed, running away is always an option.

Also, if you have a character with the spell disguise self you can have them walk out front disguised as a Drow. The goblins give deference to Drow and won’t attack you.

M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Right now I tried
going out of the Goblin cave disguised as a drow, after killing their leaders
only to be nuked by the entire camp.

And another ambush was the
mask servants of the hag in the swamp

Last edited by Magiclaw; 28/10/20 09:20 PM.
Originally Posted by Magiclaw
1st of all, thanks for the reply! Plenty of useful tips that I'll pay in mind in my next battle.

In addition, my problems which are outside of combat are usually unexpected results which leave me no choice but to reload.

Walking into an ambush, stepping on a trap, clicking on something which raise the earth to the skies... I'd like to know how to expect those traps sooner, how to prepare myself from the upcoming ambush, etc, without having to reload and try again based on my previous save.

If I had a chance against those ambushes, then I don't mind just keep going, but since I'm so outnumbered at the very beginning, what other choice do I have but to reload?

Stepping on a trap is pretty hard given that even if you fail the perception check, you should know immediately that there is something important near by. So if I see the failed save I stop everyone and move them all forward to the lead point to get a chance at finding whatever was missed.

Sometimes though, the unexpected just happens. You shoot something by accident and it blows up 30 barrels and covers all sorts of places you couldn't have possible expected given how seemingly far or unrelated they were to what you were doing. I didn't find too many of these, but sometimes it just happens.

As other's have mentioned, you definitely don't need to fight the whole goblin town if you don't want to. You can just port out before exiting the inside where the bosses are.

Yeah that is tough fight. I'd say it's really important to pay attention to each masked person, and note that they have very different powers / effects based on their name. For example one will like auto-attack you back whenever you hit it in melee, so once you know that you gotta avoid that at all costs wink

W
veteran
veteran
W
Those goblins outside are already hostile to you.

Your only two options for avoiding that fight that I’m aware of are:

A) go deeper into the temple into the Underdark.
B) send out an invisible or super sneaky character alone. Send them up to the top of the temple and break down the cracked wall from the outside. They will need a hammer or some sort of spell like eldritch blast that does force damage. Then the rest of the party can sneak out through the roof.

I didn’t have any problems with the hags servants. You can sneak by that fight, though. I wanted to see if I could free them by killing the hag first. Only one servant is between you and the direction you need to go, so I used the minor illusion cantrip to send him away, entered turn based mode and had my party sneak down and jump across the waterfall.

addict
addict
I don't understand what you're asking of the company. I'm also not sure if this post belongs more in the help section or feedback section because the struggle that you're experiencing is due to your seeming lack of caution.
You're not going to avoid every surprise situation, but most of them can be prepared for to improve your odds. This isn't a game where your carefree wanderlust is rewarded.
And if you're reloading as often as it seems that you are, have you tried, y'know, adjusting your strategy? One reload figuring out the particulars of a fight and then a reload here and there due to bad luck, I could maybe see.
So what help do you want exactly from Larian? Do you want a difficulty slider because you're not learning the mechanics or taking the time to adjust your strategy?
Traps and ambushes are effective because of their surprise elements. That's what makes them traps and ambushes. I don't understand what you're asking for because you've got a lot going on.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Originally Posted by Nezix

Yeah that is tough fight. I'd say it's really important to pay attention to each masked person, and note that they have very different powers / effects based on their name. For example one will like auto-attack you back whenever you hit it in melee, so once you know that you gotta avoid that at all costs wink

I'll pay attention to it. thanks! laugh

Originally Posted by Tzelanit
I don't understand what you're asking of the company. I'm also not sure if this post belongs more in the help section or feedback section because the struggle that you're experiencing is due to your seeming lack of caution.
You're not going to avoid every surprise situation, but most of them can be prepared for to improve your odds. This isn't a game where your carefree wanderlust is rewarded.
And if you're reloading as often as it seems that you are, have you tried, y'know, adjusting your strategy? One reload figuring out the particulars of a fight and then a reload here and there due to bad luck, I could maybe see.
So what help do you want exactly from Larian? Do you want a difficulty slider because you're not learning the mechanics or taking the time to adjust your strategy?
Traps and ambushes are effective because of their surprise elements. That's what makes them traps and ambushes. I don't understand what you're asking for because you've got a lot going on.

Although the post would actually fit better in 'tips and feedback' forums, you completely misunderstood my post. I didn't ask anything from the company. I felt as if my experience with the game is similar to others, and if not, what should I change in my mindset about it. This post is focused purely on vets giving advice for a newbie. I'm not in a stage of criticizing a game I may not yet get, so this isn't a 'Larian fix your game' type of post.

Although the post would actually fit better in 'tips and feedback' forums, you completely misunderstood my post. I didn't ask anything from the company. I felt as if my experience with the game is similar to others, and if not, what should I change in my mindset about it. This post is focused purely on vets giving advice for a newbie. I'm not in a stage of criticizing a game I may not yet get, so this isn't a 'Larian fix your game' type of post.

Not to be a contrarian, but the name of your post is "A plea for Larian games' help :)", which certainly sounds like you are asking them for...well...some kind of help smile

There were some good tips given already but I will give you a couple more that I didn't see.

• Don't be in a hurry either in combat or just exploring. Haste truly does make waste in this game. Think of combat like a sort of chess match. Use the turn based mechanics to your advantage.
  • In combat, kill enemies with low HP first. Many enemies can be killed in one or two attacks. Goblin booyaghs are a good example of this. They have 9HP but they can heal, buff and debuff which can have a huge impact on the fight. Kill them quickly.
  • Don't be afraid to charge/jump into the middle of stuff with Lae'zel. The AI generally targets casters first so take advantage of that to wreak some havoc with everyone's favorite githyanki. Give her a 2 handed weapon and take Riposte for one of her Battlemaster skills then jump right next to a high value target. They won't be able to run without eating an AoO and if they attack her, they are going to eat a Riposte and those really hurt.
  • My last tip is to use the right-click->examine function. Examining your enemies gives you more information than you rightfully should get as a player. You can see the enemy's AC, ability scores, really everything. That way you will know before casting Grease that the monsters you are trying to cast on have higher than normal dexterity and are likely to successfully save against it for instance.

Last edited by Osprey39; 28/10/20 11:01 PM.
K
K
I suppose I do feel a little irked when all my high perception characters fail the check, I havent found it THAT bad though.

addict
addict

Oh, I guess I somehow misunderstood your title "A plea for Larian games' help" somehow. Apologies.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
I edited the title.

Thanks for the tips, I suppose I do need to take more time with the game itself. Although do you think I'll find myself less reloading by doing so?

I edited the title.

Thanks for the tips, I suppose I do need to take more time with the game itself. Although do you think I'll find myself less reloading by doing so?

More than likely. I thought the combat in this game was very challenging at first. After I actually read a bit and figured out a few things, I now find it almost laughably easy. Some of the stuff
in the Underdark
is harder but I killed
the Phase Spider Matriarch
on the first try. That's much more challenging than a horde of goblins but it just took a little thinking to make it not easy, but very doable. This is not a Diablo style hack and slash game. A little bit of thought goes a long way towards winning.

Last edited by Osprey39; 29/10/20 12:08 AM.
I have also found this game to be crazy hard op... Its not fun when every fight is setup so the customer fails, and every enemy is stacked to the eyeballs with grenades, powers and rules they SHOULD NOT HAVE! That to me is just cheap and cheap mechanics turn me away every single time...

Its really poor so far rules wise.

Last edited by DanteYoda; 29/10/20 06:33 AM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by DanteYoda
I have also found this game to be crazy hard op... Its not fun when every fight is setup so the customer fails, and every enemy is stacked to the eyeballs with grenades, powers and rules they SHOULD NOT HAVE! That to me is just cheap and cheap mechanics turn me away every single time...

Its really poor so far rules wise.

Don't worry 'bout it, there is an easy mode for a reason for those who don't know the rules of the game.
Like ...there isn't, but there will be.

And for team composition i recommend Gale, Astarion, Laezel, shadowheart. You can't have all 4 of them , so depending on your class drop one of them ^^.

Astarion cause with a bow coated in poison he does insane dmg.
Laezel cause warrior op.
Shadowheart cause cleric, a little bit of healing might help if you feel you need it but most importantly an offensive cleric is quite good too. Inflict wounds op.
Gale cause mage armor lasts the whole day. You put this on him when a day starts and when a fights starts use mirror image. Then proceed to obliterate people with magic missiles lv2 or anything else. It doesn't matter, he's a mage.

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard