Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Randal #720772 28/10/20 08:23 PM
J
apprentice
apprentice
J
I'd like to see swords and smaller weapons carried on the sides as well, it makes more sense that they'd be there and they are in other games (like Pillars of Eternity). The rapier on the back is very, very strange looking.

Larger weapons though... If you had a 'real' party they'd probably be walking around using their staves/halberds as a walking aid and/or resting them on their shoulders. I'd love that amount of walking/resting animations in the game, but honestly movement is 90% running full tilt around the maps. So then either you see your party holding them out in charge position all the time, or it sits on their back. I guess on the back will look less wonky in the game (especially when visiting the markets)?

Randal #720787 28/10/20 08:31 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Any word on sheaths?

That would be nice.

Randal #720836 28/10/20 09:01 PM
journeyman
journeyman
I would prefer waist scabbards.

Some animations are ridiculous with the weapons in the back.

Randal Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
In about 30 years of gaming, I have never had anyone I know say that they passed on a game because of how weapons were carried. I was in a Legion of over 200 in Aion, and there were a ton of people in my DDO guild, not sure of the exact count, but in all the times we talked about games we were planning to check out or pass on, "weapons aren't carried the way I like" never entered into the conversation.[/quote]

Clearly, we move in different circles. wink

But joking aside, we have a discussion here, don't we?

The game is still being developed so we have a chance to make a difference!

Randal Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by vometia
Originally Posted by Randal

Oh yes, Dragon Age. I am pretty sure they introduced that weapon-on-the-back style out of necessary (easier to program). Now people build questionable scabbards to justify it. laugh Amazing. They do have my respect though, it requires persistence and creativity.

I don't recall where I first saw it; I thought it was Oblivion but mine was so heavily modded it's anyone's guess. It soon had actual scabbards, anyway.

My biggest gripe tends to be impractical sword designs that would be incredibly fragile and tend to have loads of pointy bat-wings and dragon-claws that would probably cause more injury to the person wielding it. That and the perplexing belief that swords weight "literally 40 pounds". No, they don't: that's not only completely unusable but physically impossible.

I have a simple challenge for people like that...pick up a standard fire axe (which looks puny, compared to these monstrosities in certain games) and swing it around for 15 minutes. After that, let's talk again. laugh

At some point games started portraying swords that are, by the looks of them, heavier than the person wielding them. This unfortunately pushed the "normal" looking weapon also to the heavier/bigger side.

I am glad that BG3 sticks to a more sensible depiction.

Randal Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by jinkaroo
I'd like to see swords and smaller weapons carried on the sides as well, it makes more sense that they'd be there and they are in other games (like Pillars of Eternity). The rapier on the back is very, very strange looking.

Larger weapons though... If you had a 'real' party they'd probably be walking around using their staves/halberds as a walking aid and/or resting them on their shoulders. I'd love that amount of walking/resting animations in the game, but honestly movement is 90% running full tilt around the maps. So then either you see your party holding them out in charge position all the time, or it sits on their back. I guess on the back will look less wonky in the game (especially when visiting the markets)?

Good point, this should be considered. However, the way the characters run/jog at the moment is a good compromise between getting there fast and this ridiculous sprinting all the time. At that pace it is very natural to hold a pole weapon in both hands. A simple additional animation to use the pole weapon as a "walking stick" while standing would sweeten the deal. The animation is even in game already, namely for the quarterstaff (see pics).

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Last edited by Randal; 30/10/20 04:25 PM.
Randal #723259 30/10/20 08:49 PM
apprentice
apprentice
Yea i though this aswell ...

who the f puts a shortsword on his back?? Looks dumb af. I was kinda surprised they didnt put daggers on the back too.

Randal #852666 20/06/23 11:01 PM
addict
addict
Well, three years later still a no no with sheathes (sorry I couldn't find the most up to date post on this issue...)
Going all out on cinematic view and close up graphics yet not doing this is really weird.

Take note Larian FF XVI does it really simple and well (doesn't have to cover the whole weapon, letting you use one asset for multiple shapes) :

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Last edited by Count Turnipsome; 21/06/23 11:45 AM.

It just reminded me of the bowl of goat's milk that old Winthrop used to put outside his door every evening for the dust demons. He said the dust demons could never resist goat's milk, and that they would always drink themselves into a stupor and then be too tired to enter his room..
Randal #852756 21/06/23 08:55 PM
journeyman
journeyman
+1 for weapons worn on the hip, and staffs always in hand.

Someone brought up the Witcher as an example of it looking cool to wear long swords on a character's back which I suppose it is cool looking. However, if anyone remembers, only Giralt actually wears them that way (Ciri might, I don't remember) in any of the Witcher games and he does so because he has two long swords and it would be very awkward to wear two long swords on the hip.

Last edited by FuriousGreg; 21/06/23 09:03 PM.
Randal #852853 22/06/23 09:37 PM
addict
addict
I can imagine a sword on the back being practical, but only if it is carried with the hilt pointing downwards. That way, with an upward pull on the sling on your chest you could move the sword to your hip when it needs to be pulled out of its sheath.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard