Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Banned
Banned
S
I especially like the trann character out of nowhere randomly inserted for lefty points.

Originally Posted by Minsc1122
It could not be as good as the other BG games, because they had to put it in the middle of bg1 and bg2 and it was very restricted regarding the story, it is more like a "filler arc". A very small DLC could have been sufficient for that 1 or 2 more levels, but I enjoyed it.

It is an important arc though, because Shadows of Amn's intro tells you that you were forced to leave Baldur's Gate under some very dark circumstances after the authorities of Baldur's Gate figured out that you are a Bhaalspawn. Also the expansion does a good job of showing how you ended up with Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira, Minsc and Dynaheir even if you did not have them with you when you defeated Sarevok, and how Viconia recognizes you in Shadows of Amn even if you never met her in BG1.

And the expansion ties up a loose end from Icewind Dale.

W
veteran
veteran
W
What connections does SoD have to IWD?

Originally Posted by Warlocke

I believe its
Belhifet. he is the final boss in SoD

"There are three things that are strength incarnate: there is love of life, there is fear of death, and there is family. A family that loves death would have a strong pull indeed." - Tamoko
Originally Posted by Arideya
Originally Posted by Warlocke

I believe its
Belhifet. he is the final boss in SoD

That's it. The ending of IWD hinted he would be back.

Last edited by BladeDancer; 28/10/20 08:30 PM.
old hand
old hand
Except it clearly wasn't BG 2? There is an actual game that came out called BG 2: Shadows of Amn. I own Dragonspear, it came with the BG EE, but it's not effectively BG 2.

Last edited by robertthebard; 28/10/20 08:35 PM. Reason: Clarity
V
V
Originally Posted by robertthebard
Except it clearly wasn't BG 2? There is an actual game that came out called BG 2: Shadows of Amn. I own Dragonspear, it came with the BG EE, but it's not effectively BG 2.

I think he was referring to the fact that the UI was updated alongside, and since it came after BG:EE, the UI was further overhauled so it still felt like an upgrade over BG1. So it felt like BG2 from a gameplay perspective.

stranger
stranger
Decent,

It was nice to play one more campaign with the BG1 party, and David Warner voicing Jon Irenicus is perfection. Besides that the story overall was meh.

apprentice
apprentice
Was a fun filler game to feed the RPG beast.. But it also did have that Mod feel. Kinda like how Hellfire was made to be an expansion to Diablo 1 and by totally different developers...

I really enjoy playing it but in the story scheme of things it's just lengthy nonsense. The Trilogy mod had a simple elegant way of bridging the gap between the two games and that's all that one would actually need. (not that any bridge was even necessary.)

Tuv Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by BladeDancer
Originally Posted by Minsc1122
It could not be as good as the other BG games, because they had to put it in the middle of bg1 and bg2 and it was very restricted regarding the story, it is more like a "filler arc". A very small DLC could have been sufficient for that 1 or 2 more levels, but I enjoyed it.

It is an important arc though, because Shadows of Amn's intro tells you that you were forced to leave Baldur's Gate under some very dark circumstances after the authorities of Baldur's Gate figured out that you are a Bhaalspawn. Also the expansion does a good job of showing how you ended up with Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira, Minsc and Dynaheir even if you did not have them with you when you defeated Sarevok, and how Viconia recognizes you in Shadows of Amn even if you never met her in BG1.

And the expansion ties up a loose end from Icewind Dale.

Pretty much this. Before SoD there was text. Did we need this game? No. For something that wasn't needed though, it really delivered. I think that was the surprise, having SoD to begin with.

Beamdog did a good job with the EE. Interesting characters they added although they are all way more present than most other companions, which some people didn't like as much. I enjoyed them a lot and the Friendly Arm Inn is looking really good with every single companion together.

SoD was that linear piece that was missing in between BG1&2. They tried out a few new things I liked but overall it was not quite as good as the original games. Due to linearity.

Dragonspear feels and plays quite literally like an actual bridge between the games, linear and somehow suspended between the great story arches.

Combat is the combat you would expect and a natural progression from the end of Baldur's Gate. It goes too far when levels are retained after what Irenicus did to the player character though. Just roleplay it and start lower.

The art is great, looks, sounds and feels just like Baldur's Gate or an infinity game, cause it is.

However! The pathfinding. Was not. Made. For. A crowded. Baldur's Gate

virion Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
The A* pathfinding was a nightmare xD

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
stranger
stranger
I Went through played them all again while waiting for this to release, it was not terrible, there was some good times in it & I might play them again.

Moorefallen of House D'Synn
Keeper of the Garden of Eternity
Slayer of:
Jon Irenicus
Demogorgon
Defeater of Amelyssan
The Forsaken God of Murder

H
stranger
stranger
H
Originally Posted by KingNothing69
The Wild Mage I also found annoying. But overall I am very pleased with the work done to the Enhanced Editions. I will probably play SoD again whenever I do a full BG1 to BG2 playthrough.

I don’t know why Neera gets so much hate. She was moderately amusing, and funny stuff could happen around her. Had her cast magic missile and a cow fell on her target instead instead. Couldn’t stop laughing for 5 min. After that she got to stay as my second mage.

K
journeyman
journeyman
K
Originally Posted by Hasler
I don’t know why Neera gets so much hate.

No hate, just annoyance from her voice and attitude. She kinda reminded me of a valley girl or something.

S
Banned
Banned
S
le quirky problem hair girl

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard