Next Thread
Print Thread
#716741 25/10/20 08:43 PM
W
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
Perhaps I haven't dived into it enough yet, but where are the traditional races/classes that are core? I noticed there wasn't a Gnome right off the bat along with Half-Orc or Dragonborn. No....Druid Class? Is this something that is coming and still being produced for launch, and hopefully not as an expansion? I can understand a Tortle or Minotaur being an expansion but not core races/classes. I got the game last night and I play the other Baldur's Gate games, and I must say it is AMAZING! Great job on the (finally) turn-based combat, it's much better than real-time and feels more authentic D&D.

old hand
old hand
It's EA, stuff will gradually come out, patience. Btw, look up interviews and such, you'll find answers their.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Early Access is Early Access.
Alpha/Beta is Alpha/Beta.

V
stranger
stranger
V
One note... Gnomes can't normally undergo ceremorphosis to become mindflayers. They die outright instead. I really hope they are on the list of races to add before the final release, but it is something they may have to consider in terms of adding dialogue options, etc.

P
apprentice
apprentice
P
Originally Posted by viridianvex
One note... Gnomes can't normally undergo ceremorphosis to become mindflayers. They die outright instead. I really hope they are on the list of races to add before the final release, but it is something they may have to consider in terms of adding dialogue options, etc.

There is a source for it in 5e which says they can. Naming it is kind of a gratuitous spoiler though.

W
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
Yeah I posted this before diving in and reading, I thought it would have been awesome to have a Druid (bias of course) to test out before another class but I think that the overall basis for combat is here in the EA.

stranger
stranger
I really hope they include Genasi in the final build. They're a classic Forgotten Realms race and are so much fun to play. Some of my favorites from 5e are Genasi, Dragonborn, Kobold, Tortle, Hobgoblin, and Warforged. Leonin are really interesting, but from a different setting (same could be said for Warforged too, I suppose).

I'd really like to see playable gnolls, but they aren't in 5e yet. This has been a sticking point for me because they're playable in almost every edition of D&D (excluding only 5e and the 80's Basic edition which had race-as-class). I played a gnoll "swarm" druid in 4e, and a gnoll wizard in 3e (yes, before 3.5 and long before Pathfinder).

ned7000 #721269 29/10/20 03:29 AM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by ned7000
I really hope they include Genasi in the final build. They're a classic Forgotten Realms race and are so much fun to play. Some of my favorites from 5e are Genasi, Dragonborn, Kobold, Tortle, Hobgoblin, and Warforged. Leonin are really interesting, but from a different setting (same could be said for Warforged too, I suppose).

I'd really like to see playable gnolls, but they aren't in 5e yet. This has been a sticking point for me because they're playable in almost every edition of D&D (excluding only 5e and the 80's Basic edition which had race-as-class). I played a gnoll "swarm" druid in 4e, and a gnoll wizard in 3e (yes, before 3.5 and long before Pathfinder).

Playable gnolls won't be a thing. 5e re-did their lore and make them infernal beings that are always Chaotic Evil. Not in the way orcs are, but in that they physically cannot go five minutes without brutally killing and eating something.

I hear you though. I love the monster races and would've liked playable gnolls for Forgotten Realms. Personally my "Probably won't happen" hope are for Lizardfolk. I like druids and I like monster races, but the PHB monster races are all +strength brutes (half-orc/dragonborn) that don't make for good druids.

I still play them of course, but sometimes it is nice to play a character who's attribute bonuses actually align with your class.

ned7000 #721347 29/10/20 06:15 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast

I love most of the things about this comment

Also like to add non-human planetouched because come on man, let me be less human.
I'm Human in real life, Humans are boring, give me less human choices.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by SaurianDruid
I still play them of course, but sometimes it is nice to play a character who's attribute bonuses actually align with your class.

I feel like one of the best things D&D could do is get rid of ability bonuses entirely. It's been heading that way since the beginning. At first non-human/elf/dwarf/hobbit characters weren't even playable, then they were added to AD&D with some major drawbacks like min/max ability scores. In 3e, that got changed to bonuses and penalties. In 4e and 5e that was reduced to just bonuses plus extra abilities.

One approach that would still give the same feel is requiring ability score minimums for certain races, like dwarves that must have a minimum of CON 9, or orcs requiring STR 9. That would limit dump stats for point buy and determine where certain scores are assigned for rolled stats without limiting which races and classes could possibly be viable combinations. When certain races get +2 to one ability or another, it pretty well pigeon-holes them into certain classes for point-buy (less so for random rolls). The great thing about minimums (especially low minimums) is that it prioritizes certain combinations without making them strictly necessary. So, even under point-buy your githyanki cleric or gnome fighter are viable combinations, even if they have a little more intelligence or charisma than you might prefer if you were to min/max.

ned7000 #724740 01/11/20 08:50 AM
addict
addict

I feel like one of the best things D&D could do is get rid of ability bonuses entirely. It's been heading that way since the beginning. At first non-human/elf/dwarf/hobbit characters weren't even playable, then they were added to AD&D with some major drawbacks like min/max ability scores. In 3e, that got changed to bonuses and penalties. In 4e and 5e that was reduced to just bonuses plus extra abilities.

One approach that would still give the same feel is requiring ability score minimums for certain races, like dwarves that must have a minimum of CON 9, or orcs requiring STR 9. That would limit dump stats for point buy and determine where certain scores are assigned for rolled stats without limiting which races and classes could possibly be viable combinations. When certain races get +2 to one ability or another, it pretty well pigeon-holes them into certain classes for point-buy (less so for random rolls). The great thing about minimums (especially low minimums) is that it prioritizes certain combinations without making them strictly necessary. So, even under point-buy your githyanki cleric or gnome fighter are viable combinations, even if they have a little more intelligence or charisma than you might prefer if you were to min/max.

That is a nice way to handle it. Personally I think it would be enough if you just gave every character a +1 to a single other attribute of your choice in addition to the normal bonuses. That way no matter what race you pick you'll always at least be able to hit 16 in your primary combat stat.

So my Dragonborn druid would still get a +2 in STR he doesn't need and a +1 in CHA that isn't valuable, but as long as he can get 16 WIS or CON (depending on Circle) he'd be just as viable as any race that got a +1 or +2 in WIS. The +2 strength and +1 charisma would just feel like a nice bonus at that point rather than a waste of points. You'd still have optimal race/class combos but the difference between them and non-optimal combos would be much more marginal and likely weighted more toward the actually fun racial features rather than attribute bonuses.

Plus it'd represent your character's individuality and personal training and experience that isn't necessarily shared by every member of your race.

Last edited by SaurianDruid; 01/11/20 08:57 AM.
K
stranger
stranger
K
Yeah...

I really would like to see Dragonborn and Half-orc and Gnome in the final build. Rest is pretty much extra. Core races needs to be in!

D
old hand
old hand
D
Larian mentioned all PHB classes and races beeing in the final game.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by viridianvex

You got that slightly wrong. Gnomes are normally considered unacceptable candidates for ceremorphosis, but with unreliable results. Races such as dwarves and halflings are unviable as it invariably leads to the death of both host and tadpole. Looks like Larian already has sided with player choice over lore on this one.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Demoulius
Larian mentioned all PHB classes and races beeing in the final game.

Keeping my fingers (and toes) crossed for some of the more popular non-PHB material also being included eventually.

D
old hand
old hand
D
We already have Githjanki. More races beeing added would be grest but I assume they wil focus on completing the game first.

Link Copied to Clipboard