Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
addict
addict
I'll be honest, I don't see the appeal of rolling for stats in a single player game. You're just going to re-roll or save scum until you get incredibly high stats that proceed to trivialize combat.

It'd save more time if they just let you choose what your ability scores are with no restrictions at that point.

Rouoko Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok point buy but I can give only 1 point to INT on my orc in future or not. And rest of them in STR and CON?

stranger
stranger
One of the reasons I replayed BG1 and BG2 countless times is the fact I had so much freedom regarding my character.

Want to play a fighter/thief dwarf who, as bhaalspawn, has an insane amount of strength (18/00), dexterity (17), constitution (19) and charisma (18) but lacks in the intelligence department (9) and and is not exactly knowledgeable (wisdom 7)? No problem - but roll 88 with 100 on str.

Want to play a weak mage? No problem, even with bad stats you'll still have fun and won't have to worry about rolls associated with your abilities during conversations.

You can now shadowkeeper in illegal dual class or multi-class combinations? Hello there, my sling-obsessed archer/cleric multi dwarf.

Recently seen One Punch Man? Greetings, Saitama, my quarter-staff wielding, bald "generic" human kensai with 18/100 str, 18 dex, 18 constitution, but 3 intelligence, 3 wisdom and 3 charisma (that's 63 points of pure carnage).

Let me tell you one thing - if people want to powergame, they will powergame, but out of those many runs I had I was having fun both when playing an underpowered shapeshifter with vanilla werewolf kit and when I was playing a ranger/cleric mowing through everything. If I was forced to play a particular style it would at the very least take many runs away from me - or even make the game less fun to the point of me not replaying it multiple times because "I already know the story so what's the point when I'm shackled by balance".

If balance was the answer to single-player games being fun then BG1 and BG2 would not have the classic status they have and we would never get a BG3 20 years after their release.

tl;dr - keep rerolling in and let players decide, it's supposed to be an RPG game, after all.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard