Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 24 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 23 24
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by ArmouredHedgehog

I think it has been stated that the player will visit Avernus again at some later point in the story.
Aye, stated or otherwise, it certainly seems that way. There is also the refugees-from-Elturel who are your friends from a good Act I, and hunted by Minthara/Absolute. Why? Why would they care? Note that one of the Tiefs has that coin, the one chased by an assassin.

The Sharrans do not seem to be in a pact with the Absolute.

No, I doubt that, as the Sharrans would be one of the factions-to-oppose-or-join against the big bad. Like the Selunites, you can tell that they have been there before you, but they're already gone by the time you get there. Also, I doubt they'd be in league with Mind Flayers.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
addict
addict
So I've been thinking about the various conversations in the temple my conclusions are:

The only thing the Absolute asked them was:
1. find where the ship missing tadpoled people went and kill them (the kill them is confirmed from goblins ambient discussion inside the Temple)
2. asked the goblins to aid a drow party to raid Waukneen's Rest. The drow had the mission of kidnapping the duke and bringing him back to Moonrise Towers. The goblins were just muscles. This was done pre-ship crashing, if you run from the beach to Waukeen's Rest it is already burning (I tried it).
3. For the rest, the Absolute doesn't care... which is what the Priest of Maglubiyet is complaining about, a real god would keep his people in check.

Someone "higher-up" doesn't trust them, otherwise no reasons to have a scrying eye floating around the base from someone at Moonrise Towers.

The goblins just want to raid and pillage, while Minthara wants to become the Absolute's favorite. I think destroying the grove is a task she invented herself to achieve that (as she said it will make them the Absolute favorites) and she's using the goblins as her expendable grunts to do so (and you too if you accept to participate).

addict
addict
Thanks to datamining we now know that

the Nightsong recoils in horror when she finds out the tadpole is more powerful than Shar.

With that in mind I am becoming less and less interested in what the Absolute is, as it seems like Larian's fanfiction character now.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Vhaldez
Thanks to datamining we now know that

the Nightsong recoils in horror when she finds out the tadpole is more powerful than Shar.

With that in mind I am becoming less and less interested in what the Absolute is, as it seems like Larian's fanfiction character now.

My guess is that the Absolute is still

the Dead Three manipulating the Illithids. So the tadpole would have the influence of the Dead Three vs one goddess.

Last edited by azarhal; 28/10/20 11:43 AM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by azarhal

the Dead Three manipulating the Illithids. So the tadpole would have the influence of the Dead Three vs one goddess.

You are most likely right.

That means the PC will become the new Cyric and overthrows the Dead Three. This must also be why Jergal is casually hanging out in our camp.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by azarhal

You are most likely right.

That means the PC will become the new Cyric and overthrows the Dead Three. This must also be why Jergal is casually hanging out in our camp.

I don't think the PC will become a god, as Larian wants the level cap to be near 10 because it's not supposed to be a high level adventure.

A
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
A
The level of the player and the companions does not really seem to fit the story.
I wonder what a story about Bhaal, Bane and Myrkul could bring that would lead the player back to Avernus. There seems to be an infernal element in all of this. More than just Raphael being on a dealmaking tour.

I sometimes use thought experiments. I don't necessarily believe in every idea I post for discussion on this forum
old hand
old hand
Oh, I also found this:

[Linked Image]

The Gnolls in service of the Absolute made this, as evidenced by the 'dialogue' with their Flind leader. Gut's 'Absolute' shield carries the same symbol.
It seems like an amalgimation of the symbols of the Dead three; Bane having his Black Hand, Myrkul and Bhaal both sporting skulls.

addict
addict
Why are the dead three masquerading as a new god with less influence than they have individually?

Why are the dead three masquerading as a new god with less influence than they have individually?

The return of Mirkul and Baal did not go as they had originally anticipated. All this greatly weakened them. With Bane, the situation is rather incomprehensible, it is possible that he also lost some of his powers.
It is possible that The Dead Three are hoping to gain more power by uniting.

Hello there.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by BuckettMonkey
The return of Mirkul and Baal did not go as they had originally anticipated. All this greatly weakened them. With Bane, the situation is rather incomprehensible, it is possible that he also lost some of his powers.

They could have done with a less generic name then.

They could have done with a less generic name then.

I agree.
However, I personally do not support the theory that the Absolute is The Dead Three.
It seems to me that the Absolute should be much more strongly associated with the illithids.

Hello there.
old hand
old hand

Alright chaps, it clearly states SPOILERS in the thread title. No need for these tags, so..

Well. I suspect the mind Flayers associated with the Absolute aren't the same as the 'regular' Flayers, the ones that added your tadpole. I supect the Absolute's forces have 'merely' subjugated an Elder Brain or somesuch to control 'people' with a tadpole.

In point of fact, the Flayer Invsasion of Baldur's Gate, as depicted in the game's trailer could be very well in response to just that.

N
old hand
old hand
N
The subjugated elder brain is an interesting concept.

What if the illithids who captured the player character are trying to save the elder brain in question by making the player being their pawn to join the absolute and discover what's going on and where it is located? It would explain why the tadpole is dormant. Cause illithids would be destroyed on sight by the absolute followers while apparent 'true souls' would be welcomed in open arms and could infiltrate the cult.

Originally Posted by rodeolifant

Alright chaps, it clearly states SPOILERS in the thread title. No need for these tags, so..

Well. I suspect the mind Flayers associated with the Absolute aren't the same as the 'regular' Flayers, the ones that added your tadpole. I supect the Absolute's forces have 'merely' subjugated an Elder Brain or somesuch to control 'people' with a tadpole.

In point of fact, the Flayer Invsasion of Baldur's Gate, as depicted in the game's trailer could be very well in response to just that.

Auntie Ethel says the parasite is enhanced by Netherese magic.

Hello there.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Nyanko

What if the illithids who captured the player character are trying to save the elder brain in question by making the player being their pawn to join the absolute and discover what's going on and where it is located? It would explain why the tadpole is dormant. Cause illithids would be destroyed on sight by the absolute followers while apparent 'true souls' would be welcomed in open arms and could infiltrate the cult.

The cultists tadpoles are dormant too, otherwise they would all have been consumed and turned into mindflayers over the next 7 days after getting them.

I
old hand
old hand
I

I thought Bhaal took the murder domain back from Cyric, so he is a full fledged god.

Last edited by Ixal; 29/10/20 12:08 PM.
old hand
old hand

What if the illithids who captured the player character are trying to save the elder brain in question by making the player being their pawn to join the absolute and discover what's going on and where it is located? It would explain why the tadpole is dormant.

I doubt this, the Flayer onboard the Nautiloid thinks you are his thrall, after all.

Auntie Ethel says the parasite is enhanced by Netherese magic.

Oh, right! There is *that* too. Still, that only supports a how, not necessarily the who. It *does* tie into Gale's story though, the one I couldn't tie in earlier.

N
old hand
old hand
N

What if the illithids who captured the player character are trying to save the elder brain in question by making the player being their pawn to join the absolute and discover what's going on and where it is located? It would explain why the tadpole is dormant.

I doubt this, the Flayer onboard the Nautiloid thinks you are his thrall, after all.

But he's the one who put the tadpole inside your head. So are you suggesting he doesn't know it's a special tadpole which has a different purpose than the ones they usually use?

addict
addict

But he's the one who put the tadpole inside your head. So are you suggesting he doesn't know it's a special tadpole which has a different purpose than the ones they usually use?

Maybe the (totally not a DOS2 repeat) scene at the end of the intro where a mysterious force saves you from dying is supposed to imply the shadow magic being inserted into the tadpole?

Page 11 of 24 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 23 24

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard