Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 24 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 23 24
old hand
old hand
But he's the one who put the tadpole inside your head. So are you suggesting he doesn't know it's a special tadpole which has a different purpose than the ones they usually use?

Well, yes, why would he? Everyone else on the ship was turning, namely the townsfolk on the gundeck [for lack of better words]. The brain-things think you're one of them, calling you to the helm. You can also turn someone into a Flayer. It all seems like regular Mindflayer tactics so far.

For all we know, nothing was wrong with the tadpole, until the ship crashed, and we were 'in range of the [Netherese] magic-whatever that affects tadpoles'?

Originally Posted by Vhaldez

Maybe the (totally not a DOS2 repeat) scene at the end of the intro where a mysterious force saves you from dying is supposed to imply the shadow magic being inserted into the tadpole?

I thusfar suspected Gale for being responsible for that, but I have no other reason to think that, besides; "A Wizard did it" - Oh, and tht he mentioned me lying somewhere, so he thought I was dead. He could of course mean, on the ship itself.

Last edited by rodeolifant; 29/10/20 01:22 PM.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
Originally Posted by rodeolifant

Maybe the (totally not a DOS2 repeat) scene at the end of the intro where a mysterious force saves you from dying is supposed to imply the shadow magic being inserted into the tadpole?

I thusfar suspected Gale for being responsible for that, but I have no other reason to think that, besides; "A Wizard did it" - Oh, and tht he mentioned me lying somewhere, so he thought I was dead. He could of course mean, on the ship itself.

I have a suspicion Gale was never on the nautiloid.

Last edited by Moirnelithe; 29/10/20 01:25 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Moirnelithe

Because Gale was an Act 2 character and they forgot to reflect this in his push to Act 1, lol.

Isn't it implied that the Absolute saves you? Maybe I'm reading the message wrong but you have 0 context otherwise and making up more outside agents just adds to the confustion.

Originally Posted by Ixal
Originally Posted by BuckettMonkey
Why are the dead three masquerading as a new god with less influence than they have individually?

The return of Mirkul and Baal did not go as they had originally anticipated. All this greatly weakened them. With Bane, the situation is rather incomprehensible, it is possible that he also lost some of his powers.
It is possible that The Dead Three are hoping to gain more power by uniting.

I thought Bhaal took the murder domain back from Cyric, so he is a full fledged god.

To be honest, I thought so too, but for some reason many sources call him Quasi-divine entity.

Hello there.
S
Banned
Banned
S
I think it may be the tadpole itself rather then Absolute directly. Or some other more benign force, maybe - thats working against the Absolute. The effect looked a bit "nice" - but it could be the tadpole too since its special effects arent obviously "evil" looking.

So far we havent seen a whiff of any good deities or forces interjecting into the issue at all. So i thought maybe thats a hint.
But its far simpler if it was just the tadpole, protecting you and itself from dying.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Nyanko
Originally Posted by Nyanko
The subjugated elder brain is an interesting concept.

What if the illithids who captured the player character are trying to save the elder brain in question by making the player being their pawn to join the absolute and discover what's going on and where it is located? It would explain why the tadpole is dormant.

I doubt this, the Flayer onboard the Nautiloid thinks you are his thrall, after all.

But he's the one who put the tadpole inside your head. So are you suggesting he doesn't know it's a special tadpole which has a different purpose than the ones they usually use?

Raphael is the entity that makes the most sense to have saved you. He send someone to save you later in the game if you take a certain path with Priestess Gut and fail some rolls (or just don't take them) even if you haven't meet him first.

He needs you.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by azarhal

Raphael is the entity that makes the most sense to have saved you. He send someone to save you later in the game if you take a certain path with Priestess Gut and fail some rolls (or just don't take them) even if you haven't meet him first.

He needs you.

I was thinking Raphael too but thought it made no sense for him to save you before you even meet him. Going by what we know it is the most likely possibility though.

A
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
A
We don't know since when Raphael knows about the Absolute. A nautiloid showing up in Avernus would hardly go unnoticed.
I don't think that the Mindflayers on the Ship were not aware of what was going on with the tadpoles. The one questioned by Ragzlin certainly knows a lot about the Absolute.
Let's assume that someone tampered with all tadpoles in existence. That would be an existential threat to the Mindflayers because they could no longer create new Mindflayers. So they started to experiment with a device that can initiate rapid ceremorphosis on the modified tadpoles.
I don't believe that to be the case but it would explain the seeming contradiction between the "new tadpoles that never transform hosts" and "instant transform technology"
We know that Larian made it so that the Mindflayers of Ryxyg don't want to hold slaves. We also know that the True-Souls are a sort of super soldiers in the service of some mindflayers. If the Mindflayers of Ryxyg don't want to hold slaves anymore then what do they eat? They must hunt or find an alternate means of sustenance. Maybe this is where the pact with the Absolute comes into play.

Last edited by ArmouredHedgehog; 29/10/20 10:44 PM.

I sometimes use thought experiments. I don't necessarily believe in every idea I post for discussion on this forum
N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by azarhal

He needs you.

I was thinking Raphael too but thought it made no sense for him to save you before you even meet him. Going by what we know it is the most likely possibility though.

I would have simply thought it was the tadpole who saved us. The fact we were falling head first to the ground comforted me in this idea. It just wanted to save itself.

Last edited by Nyanko; 29/10/20 10:22 PM.
F
addict
addict
F
Originally Posted by Moirnelithe

Gale is an origin character, which means if you choose to play him he goes through the whole nautaloid prologue sequence, and is the one saved by the mysterious force.

F
addict
addict
F
Oh, and my theory as to the identity of the Absolute:

Melissan/Ameylissan (Throne of Bhaal)

[url=https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Amelyssan][/url]

Last edited by FrostyFardragon; 30/10/20 08:36 AM.
old hand
old hand
Well, we have yet to see how exactly the origin characters will be introduced, it could be different, but due to him being an origin character, he can hardly be introduced in Act 2. Also, currently, Gale outright tells you he was on it when you meet him, and he has a tadpole, just liek the rest of us.

Edit: Wait,Ammelysan the Blackhearted? If there was ever a villain in no need of resurrection, it is her. Sheesh, that would be terrible.

Last edited by rodeolifant; 30/10/20 08:40 AM.

F
addict
addict
F
If there was ever a villain in no need of resurrection, it is her. Sheesh, that would be terrible.

Haya, it's me, Imoen.

old hand
old hand
Immy would make more sense, truth be told. Regardless of the ending in ToB, Amellysan was completely destroyed with no hope in [pocket plane] Hell of resurrection; whereas Immy was not.

Do you have anything that supports your theory it's Amelyssan?

F
addict
addict
F
Immy would make more sense, truth be told. Regardless of the ending in ToB, Amellysan was completely destroyed with no hope in [pocket plane] Hell of resurrection;

So was Bhaal, and he came back. There is no such thing as an unresurectable villain, just read any comic for proof.

Do you have anything that supports your theory it's Amelyssan?

Nothing conclusive. Gender. Connection to Bhaal. MO - an over-elaborate charade. Voice acting - BG3's the DM voice is also the voice of the Absolute, just as in BG1 the DM voice was also Saravok. And the DM voice sounds rather similar to Melissan.

So far as I can find out, Melissan was voiced by Heidi Shannon, who also voiced Jalhera. She is no longer voice acting.

Last edited by FrostyFardragon; 30/10/20 09:44 AM.
old hand
old hand
Not convinced by Amellysan, but.. . That is actually, a rather clever hook. Not saying it is so, but it would make an incredible amount of sense that the 'voice in our heads' is that of the Absolute. I like that theory!

Edit: YEah, shame. We missed out on Jaheira's dialogue for SoD, too, sadly.

Last edited by rodeolifant; 30/10/20 09:49 AM.

apprentice
apprentice

Gender. Connection to Bhaal. MO - an over-elaborate charade.

First post. Just to jump in here, the Absolute is referred to as both male and female, seemingly dependent on who is talking about the Absolute.
Here are some examples from those who refer to it as male:

"You hear the Absolute's voice, don't you? I will soon - I can already feel Him coming closer!"

"Our gift to the Absolute. May the whole world see His strength!"

"Let the Absolute hear your prayers. Let the blood of His enemies flow over you!"

- Priest
A
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
A
The goblin conversations as part of the evil "party" seem to be universally referring to the absolute as "him" while in most of the game it is "she".
The narrator in IWD was also the main antagonist. I think that Larian liked the voice actor from Divinity and hired her again. That seems more likely than the "sounds similar to Melissan" thesis.
A page or two back someone posted the big gnoll-drawn absolute symbol. It is close to 100% a fusion of the Symbols of Bhaal and Myrkul (and Bane, being similar to Myrkul in symbolism ) Edit: Bane and Myrkul (Myrkul and Baal similar)
Could the three gods try to fuse into one greater power?
We also know from game files that there will be

a church of the absolute
and a
chapel of many gods
in Baldurs Gate, probably in Act 2

Last edited by ArmouredHedgehog; 31/10/20 02:02 AM.

I sometimes use thought experiments. I don't necessarily believe in every idea I post for discussion on this forum
old hand
old hand
Yes, I like that theory better smile

[Although it's Bane's hand, Skull would be Myrkul and Bhaal]

Also, mind that the game takes place right after the events of Descent into Avernus; wherein also there are cults to the Dead Three. Now, I doubt we'll be facing a deity, or a trio directly, but something representing them? Or one that wants to tap into their power? Fits right into the series, Sarevok, Irenicus, Melissan all trying this very thing.

C
stranger
stranger
C
Thanks to datamining we now know that

the Nightsong recoils in horror when she finds out the tadpole is more powerful than Shar.

With that in mind I am becoming less and less interested in what the Absolute is, as it seems like Larian's fanfiction character now.

It seems a lot more likely that the Nightsong tries to heal you with magic from Shar and it doesn't work than the tadpole literally being more powerful than Shar.

Page 12 of 24 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 23 24

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard