Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#721790 29/10/20 03:26 PM
ste100 Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
During the conversation with Nettie i have to roll 10+ to avoid the fight - i've tried 28 times (load-dice-load-dice...) and I never win ? How's that possible ?

veteran
veteran
I too sometimes get the impression that these checks have dice deliberately loaded against the player succeeding. However, that's likely just confirmation bias on my part. People tend to be annoyed more at failures than successes, and remember those more.

old hand
old hand
I *just* started doing this, but im halfway through this playthrough. Next one I plan on making a better system.

[Linked Image]

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
veteran
veteran
Not broken just stupid

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
addict
addict
Originally Posted by ste100
During the conversation with Nettie i have to roll 10+ to avoid the fight - i've tried 28 times (load-dice-load-dice...) and I never win ? How's that possible ?

Good old math probability and statistics. The % of success doesn't increase after you reload. If it was 25% before reloading, it is still 25% after reloading.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Took 20+ attempts IME. I guess I learnt the hard way not to ask for her help this time through. The virtual dice does seem a little wonky; I'm reminded of Pratchett's observation that one-in-a-million is pretty much a dead cert.

J'aime le fromage.
Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Don't be showing disrespect to my Nettie.

If she doesn't want you to persuade her, then she obviously has her own, very good, reasons.

Yeah, I tend to save before that encounter because I'd rather persuade her than kill her or knock her out. Not least because, for a real-life arachnophobe, leaving a unconscious giant spider behind seems somehow wrong.

veteran
veteran
I tested Nettie the other night, and my first few attempts failed, but after multiple attempts - which I was doing to check the DC of all the checks - I did get successes as well. The real problems with Nettie are:

1) It's three DC 10 rolls, where you need 3 successes and 0 failures, which is the equivalent of a single roll of DC 17.
2) Your only options are Charisma-based - Intimidation, Deception, Persuasion, so they're all going to be pretty much the same difficulty.

Either it should be one roll of DC 17, or else it should be a skill check, where you need X successes before Y failures (where X is greater than or equal to Y, and Y is greater than 1), or else the first few attempts all continue the conversation, but your success or failure affect the DC or advantage/disadvantage of the actual check.

Originally Posted by Orbax
I *just* started doing this, but im halfway through this playthrough. Next one I plan on making a better system.

[Linked Image]

I'm pretty sure that at level 4 a DC 30 check is going to be an auto-fail even rolling a Natural 20. ... Yeah, you got a 25 with a +5 modifier. I guess you're just rolling the dice to check the rolls generated?

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Stabbey

I'm pretty sure that at level 4 a DC 30 check is going to be an auto-fail even rolling a Natural 20. ... Yeah, you got a 25 with a +5 modifier. I guess you're just rolling the dice to check the rolls generated?

The boxes with a double underline are the averages it took to get to the final success #, which is right before it. The green highlight for the 20 was a natural 20, where I succeed ^.^

Last edited by Orbax; 29/10/20 05:40 PM.

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
veteran
veteran
It's been talked about to death and I really doubt it will remain the same.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
E
apprentice
apprentice
E
Hm, in my run I managed to convince Nettie the first time I tried.
Granted, that even to me, felt quite unlikely. But, one gets lucky at times too. So I don't think the dice are loaded. It's just a pretty steep challenge.

Link Copied to Clipboard