Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Agreed 100% its horrible.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Originally Posted by lvl20DM
Having played a bit longer, I've arrived at a few thoughts on surfaces. First, people saying they aren't a part of 5e isn't exactly correct. If a party wants to, they can hurl oil all over the place (and caltrops and ball bearings). But the effect of those things is much more diminished in 5e than it is in BG3 as it currently stands. Here is how a flask of oil is described in the PHB:

Oil usually comes in a clay flask that holds 1 pint. As an action, you can splash the oil in this flask onto a creature within 5 feet of you or throw it up to 20 feet, shattering it on impact. Make a ranged attack against a target creature or object, treating the oil as an improvised weapon. On a hit, the target is covered in oil. If the target takes any fire damage before the oil dries (after 1 minute), the target takes an additional 5 fire damage from the burning oil. You can also pour a flask of oil on the ground to cover a 5-foot-square area, provided that the surface is level. If lit, the oil burns for 2 rounds and deals 5 fire damage to any creature that enters the area or ends its turn in the area. A creature can take this damage only once per turn.

It's an even 5 damage, but note that a creature can only take this damage once per turn. Most spells effects (like Wall of Fire or Moonbeam) work the same way. Some (like Spike Growth) inflict the damage for every 5 feet you move. If the damage (and specifically, how often it ticks) were toned down, they would bother me much less, and would feel less abusable.

Continuing on that, here is the description for ball bearings:

As an action, you can spill these tiny metal balls from their pouch to cover a level, square area that is 10 feet on a side. A creature moving across the covered area must succeed on a DC 10 Dexterity saving throw or fall prone. A creature moving through the area at half speed doesn't need to make the save.

Ice works in a similar manner.

Second, barrels being movable is fine, but you shouldn't be able to put them in your inventory. Where are the characters storing barrels that likely weigh more than them and are 3 or 4 feet tall? I know that inventory in video games is often unrealistic in this way, but I'd like to see BG3 move away from it.

Best post about surfaces so far.
I think this really is a topic where both Larian can get their surfaces and players can get their DnD 5e rules, without much compromise.
Why did Larian combine Firebolt and Create Bonfire? We have one spell that creates a small fire surface in the rules, let's use that. It's these little attentions to the rules that get's people who want to play 5e the video game really excited.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by brunotavm
+1, the only thing appearing more than surfaces is the posts complaining about surfaces

Alright, that gave me a good chuckle.

+ 1 to this comment, and + 1 to removing Cantrip Surfaces, and toning down other surfaces.

Unless a spell specifically states otherwise, there should be no surfaces.
I really don't want to see Fireball ignite a 20 foot area of fire. It should be igniting flammable objects specifically, not the ground.

veteran
veteran
I found an enchanted +2 to contribute to this post

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
L
journeyman
journeyman
L
The surfaces make sense in D&D, a DM would do that, but the implementation right now is shit.
Force me to jump around like a toad around a million different surfaces.

It was crap in DOS2 too, never mind BG3

addict
addict
Im really enjoying the game but OP I agree with you - this change would move the game in a better direction - dont remove the mechanic as its a good one - just dont make it a permanent feature of every encounter. I also think it wont be as big an issue after getting away from the lower character levels - then it'll be getting mangled by multi attack wielding monsters - combat is fun in this game overall.

stranger
stranger
I want to see how the environment system will interact when Watery Sphere and Cone of Cold meet...

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by LodurOfTheSquids
I want to see how the environment system will interact when Watery Sphere and Cone of Cold meet...

It's fine with high level spells. But the point of this thread is to complain that if even cantrips and bottles can do it, high level spells won't seem much powerful at all. Why would you use a fireball if 2 powder barrels and a fire bolt cantrip do the trick?

Last edited by Nyanko; 29/10/20 08:21 PM.
Originally Posted by Nyanko
It's fine with high level spells. But the point of this thread is to complain that if even cantrips and bottles can do it, high level spells won't seem much powerful at all. Why would you use a fireball if 2 powder barrels and a fire bolt cantrip do the trick?

Maybe because by the time we're into Act 2 and Act 3, a fireball spell will be much more powerful than barrelmancy in Act 1?

Just tossing that out there. I get the complaints in the EA, and I share some of them. But we haven't seen the entire progression through the game yet.

addict
addict
I don't mind working around flammable surfaces and the like. With poor positioning and planning, it could be detrimental to both me and the enemy.
What I do mind is exploring outside of combat and being entangled by vines and staring at my monitor for 10 seconds waiting for the effect to wear off.
I'm never going to say "Wow, this is high-quality 5e-accurate roleplay and I'm so thrilled that there's some sort of literal interpretation of tabletop here" when I'm just stuck standing there like a buffoon.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

stranger
stranger
+1 million. I am so sick of seeing elemental environment spam in every single fight. It is so obnoxious and takes me out of the experience. Remove consumables from basic enemies entirely. You know how often enemies spam consumable in D&D? Almost never unless its some kind of gimmick for the character, perhaps they are an advanced alchemist? This isn't D&D, its divinity with a 5e costume. Oh hey its halloween! Is this an elaborate joke? Seriously though, the ground aoe nonsense isn't the only environment problem. They copy pasted climbable items like rocks, vines and ladders from divinity instead of implementing an actual climb skill based on str. That is pretty messed up too. Every time i see a climbable vine with the exact same model im like oh im playing divinity.

Rogue or wizard? Why not both! Rogue/wizard/shadowdancer.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard