Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
apprentice
apprentice
On areas were you don't see an enemy on sight, lead with the character with the highest perception to increase your chances of detecting traps.

When you see enemies, take the time to prepare. This is the biggest thing in my opinion that noobs will get wrong. Split your party, apply your buffs, position and then engage. Someone already mentioned mage armour. Some buffs last until you rest, so use those as soon as you return from camp. You can even use turn based mode to apply buffs that don't last as long, like poisons on your rogue before that backstab. Maybe your first attack might me gale launching a few enemies from a roof, or astarion backstab one shotting a mage that would potentially put one of your guys to sleep.

Party composition also plays a big role, so does gear and stats.

Use crowd control if you don't think you can do enough damage to the enemies (sleep, knockdowns, whatever).

The goblin camp thing that you mentioned is a bummer. I had the camp just turn on me in an instant as well. I do not think that is working as intended. Still depending on how you approach it, you can clear the whole camp.

This is my third playthrough with a light domain cleric, laezel, gale and astarion, and I'm just rolling everything tbh, no problems.

I had the same problems, especially with DOS 2. But after getting my ass handed to me, my second playthrough was a lot more solid, even in tactician mode, due to better character builds, team comp, and pre fight preparation.

Verily it is written that the Omnissiah grants his blessing to those who come well-equipped with explosives. -Aphorisms 96.9
old hand
old hand
I'm a veteran of these sort of games, and that should give me an edge, right? Wrong. The first time around, I too had difficulty; I will freely admit that. There were fights I reloaded multiple times, that I now breeze through effortlessly.

There is one mistake I made that, once I understood it, increased my successes, and joy, a lot.

In most of these types of games, what you bring to fight is the deciding factor; ie. Level, build, gear. This was most certainly true of the previous installments of Baldur's Gate. That still matters, but....

In this game, how you approach the fight matters *far* more. - Personally, I love this, it's less the computer-game approach and more the tabletop approach and I enjoy that.

First off: Scout the terrain. Keep an eye on the terrain, can you break things? Set traps with exploding barrels? Keep out of sight and position; can you get an edge? High ground works really well, provided you don't get knocked off. Don't just walk in like the mighty Dwarf that you think that you are, be smart about it. A typical Navy Seal doesn't ring the doorbell on an enemy base to kill everyone, either. Neither does the animal kind, but I digress.

Analyze your enemies.

Oh, Harpies sing? - Silence! [I kill you] They fly around? Then let's have archers on top of the hills instead of trying to run after them.
Goblins come by the dozens? Let's cover their base in grease, and set the place on fire. Or, take a defensive position and let them come to you; picking them off one by one.
Spiders hop around their webs to try and catch you? Set them on fire and watch them fall.
Archers hold the wall? Let's find a way to climb that wall unseen, and push them off.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Thank for you the awesome replies! laugh

Originally Posted by virion
Originally Posted by DanteYoda
I have also found this game to be crazy hard op... Its not fun when every fight is setup so the customer fails, and every enemy is stacked to the eyeballs with grenades, powers and rules they SHOULD NOT HAVE! That to me is just cheap and cheap mechanics turn me away every single time...

Its really poor so far rules wise.

Don't worry 'bout it, there is an easy mode for a reason for those who don't know the rules of the game.
Like ...there isn't, but there will be.

And for team composition i recommend Gale, Astarion, Laezel, shadowheart. You can't have all 4 of them , so depending on your class drop one of them ^^.

Astarion cause with a bow coated in poison he does insane dmg.
Laezel cause warrior op.
Shadowheart cause cleric, a little bit of healing might help if you feel you need it but most importantly an offensive cleric is quite good too. Inflict wounds op.
Gale cause mage armor lasts the whole day. You put this on him when a day starts and when a fights starts use mirror image. Then proceed to obliterate people with magic missiles lv2 or anything else. It doesn't matter, he's a mage.

I doubt easy mode will change the mechanics all that much.. I know the basic D&D rules give or take but to have Phase spiders teleporting and shooting poison even at easy mode wont change my opinion.. Its bad it needs to be changed.

A
stranger
stranger
A
I am quite sure that some of the harder fights in this game are for when you are lvl 5 or higher.

But anyway as others have said before me scout, be sneaky, use jump, crouch and push enemies of a cliff if you can.
I don't see my party as heroes, heroes die young. Use every tool at your disposal.. finding them can some times be a bit tricky, as best position for your archer/mage (high ground), sneaking and backstabbing, use potions and scrolls.
Anything that gives you an edge

This little fella here just got shoved down into oblivion, hence one less goblin in the next fight

[Linked Image]

E
apprentice
apprentice
E
One thing I tend to do to deal with traps and similar problems:

If an area looks dangerous (dungeonlike caves, spooky swamp, pretty much all of the Underdark,...) I will often split Astarion (or whoever else is good at sneaking about) and have him scout ahead with the rest of the party trailing behind.

I anything blows up, it only blows up one person.
If there are potential enemies my rogue will find them, before they find my rogue. And I also get a good view of the terrain.
If there is nothing to fear the rogue will just loot the whole place and reunite with the party.

Also: If you find a group of people and you are not sure if they are friendly or not, just sneak your people into position anyway before talking.

For example: At some point in the game I met some Kuo-Toa and they seemed kinda fishy. So I had Astarion sneak behind one of their archers and positioned Gale on a high-ground, before even approaching their leader. I ended up not fighting them, but if I had, I sure would have been glad about that positioning. So, you can't be to careful there.

Yes, there a few things to consider here. A: The game is in Early Access, and Larian is tracking things like when characters and parties die. B: As stated, this game isn't like Skyrim, where you can solo every enemy on the map. There's a reason why you have a 4 person party. That's where the strategy comes in. Take your time. You don't need to rush through anything. This is just Act 1 and there won't be another for a long time. C: Get used to the mechanics and know your character's abilities. They are made to complement each other.

All in all, take your time, LOOK at everything. As you move, pay attention to aspects and parts of the map that might conceal an enemy or a trap, but yes, traps exist because your enemies are a-holes. :P

journeyman
journeyman
One of the greatest joys I find about all of Larian's games is in the requirements of a player to think and plan ahead. Running amuk and charging into unknown situations or locations almost always will get you killed. Larian seems to believe that they are making games for people who enjoy strategy and planning. After putting many hours into DOSII I know to send my thief ahead to scout out locations and look for trouble, for good higher places to make stands, for flammable barrels, etc.

One one gets used to the idea of planning and realistic tactical play, Larian's games pay off and other, less smart games fall by the wayside in comparison.

All my opinion, of course.

A lot of gamers are used to fast paced twitchy games where charging ahead results in overwhelming the enemy without a lot of thought. That is not this sort of game- and it's a strength, not a weakness.

I love how one can wander about and find different approaches to the same areas in Baldur's Gate III. I greatly enjoy that Larian does not hold the players hand. There's no cheese wedge being held in front of you- you have to figure things out yourself.

A lot of times situations are quite open to solving problems outside of the envelope. It is very, very viable having a character with persuasion and charisma. My good, helpful elven drow cleric was able to talk her way into both the goblin town, and goblin camp with no fighting on the goblin's terms at all- and no use of the tadpole either. Once inside, my adventurers picked their fights, isolated groups of goblins and leaders one at a time and cleaned house, always managing the high ground- choosing our ground because we were a nice, trusted, Lolth lovin' drow with a pack of slaves- by appearances and using handy charisma skills. It worked fabulously.

I also very much enjoy Larian's abilities to mix things up. In both BGIII and DOSII you really can't predict who is going to be looking for a fight, and who might not be quite what they seem. Good and evil are often shaded by appearances, and quite a lot of people and creatures are neutrals out for themselves. What might look on first appearance to be a comfy ledge where you can pick off a giant tree monster might be a place where his giant magical wolf buddies all phase in to join you in most uncomfortable fashion.

But, generally, sound tactics, good strategy and scoping out the ground, resources, tight points and placing your mages back and fighter forward will add up to success....and if it doesn't, yes, this is a game where you need to SAVE at each successful accomplishment, and not be afraid to try again- maybe several times.

Have I mentioned I love this game?

old hand
old hand
I'm completely with you, Balls! That too, was the excitement with the originals, for me. Back then I didn't have a clue as to what THAC0 meant, or speak English, for that matter... I had to figure it all out. Someone offers you a scroll of Flesh to Stone at the Market... Which you later realize, you bought for *way* too much. When you finally get a spell that breaks that annoying Fear effect, or you come out the Nashkel mines, bloodied and battered... And then there's a party of evil-doers in need of a buttkicking [and looting]. Took me ages to kill those bastards! If you allow yourself to be patient, the victory is so much sweeter.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard