Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#719360 27/10/20 07:38 PM
B
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
B
Why is there a button for Attack of opportunity?

Why is there a button for the rogue sneak attack?

If someone moves away, just ask if I want to do an Attack of opportunity.

If your rogue can do a sneak attack, WHY WOULD HE NOT DO THAT?

These buttons are useless. The UI needs a major upgrade.

Why is there a jump button? If I want to jump somewhere, I can just click on where I want to go and the character should go there (auto roll check).

Why do the spells need to all be listed on the bar? Magic Missile 1,2,3,4 etc should be one button. You click on that spell, a small pulldown asks which level you want to use.

If I want my party to sneak, there should be a party button for that.

Originally Posted by Blackwidow

Because you can turn it off and also to make sure that your character prioritizes the correct "auto-behaviour" if there are multiple options. Pretty sure you need a bonus action or something similar for AoO to trigger (can't swear on it).

I do agree with you that parts of the UI should be overhauled, and also the parts about the spells/sneak attack and buttons for party sneak toggle.

apprentice
apprentice
UI and UX really needs a major rework, it just isn't great and convenient, I agree.

Also, its too small for large monitors and resolutions.

Hope they improve it in the coming months. Nothing we can do about it now.

journeyman
journeyman
Agree. We need "All Jump". "All Sneak", "All Halt" etc button.

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
Originally Posted by frequentic

Because you can turn it off and also to make sure that your character prioritizes the correct "auto-behaviour" if there are multiple options. Pretty sure you need a bonus action or something similar for AoO to trigger (can't swear on it).

I do agree with you that parts of the UI should be overhauled, and also the parts about the spells/sneak attack and buttons for party sneak toggle.

No.

AOO is one of reaction, separate from bonus action.

But like bonus action, you can use only 1 reaction in a turn (or in between your turns)

For example, you might want save the reaction by not doing AOO and use it for a shield spell on yourself.

Last edited by Lumign; 28/10/20 03:22 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
I think the biggest problem right now with the passive abilities is that they can be taken off their separate hot bar and then there is no way to find them again. That can screw you up, especially if you don't notice that it has happened straight away.

Verily it is written that the Omnissiah grants his blessing to those who come well-equipped with explosives. -Aphorisms 96.9
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Dogmatis
I think the biggest problem right now with the passive abilities is that they can be taken off their separate hot bar and then there is no way to find them again. That can screw you up, especially if you don't notice that it has happened straight away.

Yes, that's particularly annoying; it seems to happen most often when the game is slow to complete whatever animation it deems necessary in response to a hotbar click and you move the mouse before it has finished.

Dragging new items onto a hotbar is OK, as it is a deliberate UI action, but I think, perhaps, removing items from the hotbar should be right-click-and-confirm behaviour to avoid doing it accidentally.

So far, everything I have lost has been available under the "Spells" UI screen ( i.e. pressing "k" to bring it up ), even if it's not actually a spell.

I've worked in the games industry as a programmer for 10 years. A lot of that has been implementing UI based on designs from UI/UX experience folks.
What we have now is pretty horrendous, and if it wasn't for D:OS2 being very similar, I'd pretty much have to imagine that they are aware and even having designs ready to go, but haven't got to implementing them yet. I imagine it's on their list but because it's technically functional, they want to devote their time to things that aren't yet functional.

Let's keep up the feedback and hope it doesn't slip from their roadmap.

S
Banned
Banned
S
There really should be a group - ungroup button, and when the party is ungrouped then the jumping would be done individually as is done now, but when the party is grouped and everyone move together then jumping and stealthing should apply to a whole group automatically. That removes the tedium of clicking on each character numerous times, (which doesnt work great at all right now) and then clicking numerous times on stealth, then again for going out of stealth and then again for jumping... - but the player still has control over both who is stealthing and who is jumping as any situation demands.

In two clicks.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Why is there a jump button? If I want to jump somewhere, I can just click on where I want to go and the character should go there (auto roll check).

I agree with your questions to a large degree. But here you haven't thought it through.

Do you only jump as part of movement? No, you don't. You can use jump in combat, it's an Action. (Well Larian seems to think bonus action, they are wrong). So you need a button to actually perform the action of jumping, as opposed to just running somewhere.
Out of combat you might want to use jump to not run through things that can hurt you, like fires. You need a button so that you can choose when you want to jump, where it's not obvious that a jump should occur.
Lastly, you can jump to places that might hurt or kill you. Again, you need this to be an option, not automatic. I already hate the times my character does jump down roofs and take falling damage, when they were right next to a ladder!?

So yeah, there are ample reasons for having the button. But I agree, if there's no cost to the jump, and the only reason you are jumping is because Larian put a gap in the bridge, then it should be automatic.

As for Reactions. Reactions are a bit difficult to get right. I think I agree with you though, give us a pop up. But before they do that, we should really get the combat speed optimized. Right now combat is slow as hell, and a pop up every now and then would make it slower.
But I think the pop up is the only way to really implement reactions, and spells like Shield and Counterspell.

Something that would allow us to customize our UI would be nice as well. years of immersive hud has me spoiled, and disliking the amount of clutter on the screen.

F
journeyman
journeyman
F
I would like a way to minimize it. Making it smaller. I mean I almost don't use the mini map so I would like to hide it. I didn't see an option to hide it. I play games that don't use a map and I find by just exploration and memorizing locations I can get away without having a mini map that takes a portion of the screen.

veteran
veteran
The UI also needs to display the AC for party members on it - especially the currently controlled characters. That would be critical for spells like Shield and abilities like Cutting Words.

apprentice
apprentice
Along these lines there should be a way to kick a character from party without having to go into a conversation. Just a remove from party button. This should also work in Multiplayer with removing player characters that are not playing at that time.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Glad to see it's not just me. The whole interface is borked. It hurts my head trying to what should be simple tasks and instead I'm stuck solving UI puzzles just to effectively manage basic party functions. This is in and out of combat. Lets not even go into the inventory nightmare they have created with useless books, notes, and key clutter. Add relevant stuff to the journal and dissolve to books. Use essential keys and then remove them. This stuff seems 101 to me. *shrugs*

N
old hand
old hand
N
For me the main issue is with spell icons. Why do we have spells icons for every levels of a spell? It looks completely silly and unpractical. We should have just one icon and then another step in which we select which level of the spell we want to cast.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Nyanko
For me the main issue is with spell icons. Why do we have spells icons for every levels of a spell? It looks completely silly and unpractical. We should have just one icon and then another step in which we select which level of the spell we want to cast.

Yes! This needs to happen.

addict
addict
The bottom is a cluttered mess, the upper right map with all the small game screen buttons is awful to use.
Having character portraits on the lower left side of the screen impacts the entire UI of the game. Making them like in BG2 on the right side (these can also be minimized/maximised) would free up so much space on the bottom for better design. Would even allow to have up to 6 companions and look similar to the previous game, BG2. How bout that.

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 01/11/20 11:05 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by cal1s
Agree. We need "All Jump". "All Sneak", "All Halt" etc button.

No, we need to be able to select multiple characters and then make jump, sneak, etc. whoever we have selected, instead.

Basically, once again it boils down to: "Give us traditional RTS controls that have been a staple in the genre for more than 20 years and drop this chain/unchain bullshit".

At most, leave the option to activate an "all in autofollow toggle" for the twelve people who are masochists with deformed limbs and REALLY want to control just one character at the time.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Q
stranger
stranger
Q
The U.I is still being iterated over.

I'm actually impressed with how much information they've managed to fit into a reasonably compact UI.
It needs a little adjusting in places, but I think it's actually pretty great.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard