Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
addict
addict
I cannot remember the trigger but he definitely appeared super early in my playthrough, even before I spoke to Nettie or visitied the Goblins.
It's possible it was post Skeletons because I snuck past the ruins and broke into the trapdoor down into the area where the mysetrious stranger can be awakened really early doors, but I wouldn't swear by it. I remember at the time thinking, woah there cowboy, i haven't exhausted anything!! Nor did I have the impression that the Tadpole was taking over at all.

So yeah, some timing work needed there.

veteran
veteran
I've not been playing a lot, I think I've had him appear once, right after the deal with the hag failed to resolve the situation. That time was my second long rest. On my current playthrough, he didn't appear after either my first or second long rests. But I haven't been playing very much at all.

L
Lightzy Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
L
I got him before getting to nettie.

2nd rest

enthusiast
enthusiast
He's clearly meant to show up later, as Astarion even brings up something about his secret in the dialogue after this happens.

journeyman
journeyman
he didnt show up in my game until i was almost done with the EA... I was probably about 38 or 39 hours into, had rested plenty of times- and covered like 80% of the playable area of the EA

R
old hand
old hand
R
I have the impression that at least half of the events don't start correctly.

S
Banned
Banned
S
Originally Posted by azarhal
Originally Posted by Surface R
When you talk to the Goblin Priestess Glut and she takes you aside, and then to a dungeon. When you have dialogue there and fail the dice rolls she and her bodyguard try to kill you, you can attempt to break free and if you fail that too Raphael servant intervenes and kills them both. Some kind of a halfling wizard. She tells you to be more careful because they cant save you all the time and says she was sent by Raphael. Because they are keeping their eye on you.

So... i guess Raphael has to make an appearance before that events can happen. But it would be nice if it was less blunt.

She doesn't name Raphael if you have never meet him before that scene, she only does if you have. I have played through both cases, her responses are different based on if you know about Rapheal already or not.

Mkay. I guess they covered that eventuality. What does she say then? Just "someone is keeping an eye on you"?

On the whole it is very possible that his entrance doesnt happen when it should, this being EA and stuff. But thats what we see so its fair to comment on it.

Last edited by Surface R; 29/10/20 08:57 PM.
Keeping this on top - title like this deserves some love and appreciation!

But I agree he does - especially with those Astarion's lines about Cazador when you might not even know, he's a vampire yet.

For me he's always shown up after Nettie (but I suspect completing any of "deal.with the parasite" quests would have done it), but I've been making a lot of long rests because it's the only reliable way I know of to make companion related cutscenes happen

journeyman
journeyman
In general the scripted camp events are all over the place in EA. In my current playthrough I feel like I've had no "regular" long rests at all and I don't really feel like I know which quests trigger what events anymore.
Raphael is probably the worst offender, because depending on what quests you go for first, he could be busting in right after you've explored the Grove and acts like you've exhausted all your options and that he's your only hope. Which makes it even more frustrating that you can't even accept his offer.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by azarhal
When you talk to the Goblin Priestess Glut and she takes you aside, and then to a dungeon. When you have dialogue there and fail the dice rolls she and her bodyguard try to kill you, you can attempt to break free and if you fail that too Raphael servant intervenes and kills them both. Some kind of a halfling wizard. She tells you to be more careful because they cant save you all the time and says she was sent by Raphael. Because they are keeping their eye on you.

So... i guess Raphael has to make an appearance before that events can happen. But it would be nice if it was less blunt.

She doesn't name Raphael if you have never meet him before that scene, she only does if you have. I have played through both cases, her responses are different based on if you know about Rapheal already or not.

Mkay. I guess they covered that eventuality. What does she say then? Just "someone is keeping an eye on you"?

On the whole it is very possible that his entrance doesnt happen when it should, this being EA and stuff. But thats what we see so its fair to comment on it.

She says she work for someone who is interested in your current situation when picking the "who do you work for" dialogue option. Raphael's scene triggered on my next long rest after that.

Last edited by azarhal; 30/10/20 01:22 AM.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Vhaldez
Doesn't he also get embarrassed when you immediately take him up on his offer?

Like; "Uhh... You're going to beg me for it later instead! Goodbye!" or something along those lines?

He does. On my playthrough as a tiefling I chose that option. I mean, I was probably going to go to Hell anyways, may as well get something out of it.

It does seem he's triggered after you try one of the options to rid yourself of the tadpole. It doesn't matter how many nights you rest, he won't show up til you explore one of the ways to get it out of your head. For that matter, you could try none of them and not even see him on your entire run.

S
Banned
Banned
S
Wait, doesnt he say something like "You can try to steal, beg and whatever but when all those fail - you will come to me"

So he urges you to try getting rid of it, instead of claiming you already exhausted all your options.

I also think getting that ring from a good illithid in the Myconid colony is a bit too convenient. Not to mention its "priceless" but sold for about 400 coins anyway.

Stranger than life
Stranger than life
Originally Posted by zeel
In general the scripted camp events are all over the place in EA. In my current play-through I feel like I've had no "regular" long rests at all and I don't really feel like I know which quests trigger what events anymore.
Raphael is probably the worst offender, because depending on what quests you go for first, he could be busting in right after you've explored the Grove and acts like you've exhausted all your options and that he's your only hope. Which makes it even more frustrating that you can't even accept his offer.

Can confirm this. I just met Raphael for the first time on my fourth play-through to the Underdark. He appeared after halfway through the first part. Now so far in this play-through Volo has not made an appearance, before the blowhard amateur surgeon was all over me whether I liked it or not.. Makes you think. The devil you know?

Last edited by Yiasemi; 30/10/20 01:11 PM. Reason: added info
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard